PDA

View Full Version : Cubs, Yankees, Morons


Fridaythe13thJason
02-16-2004, 02:24 PM
After watching this Yankee BS for a few days here, and understanding the following few points...

1. The Yankees have a payroll over 200 Mil.
2. Bernie Williams may hit EIGHTH in their lineup.
3. Even if you doubt the improvement this trade brings, it brings every bit of publicity to that team.

...I have come to the conclusion that people who hate the Cubs more than the Yankees are morons.

I have always felt this way in general, considering I care about one thing, winning pennants. The Yankees are a team we contend with each year to get to the World Series. They are an old rival, as well. What they are doing to the game of baseball is bordering on destruction, and must be stopped.

Compare that, if you will, with the Cubs. While you may not like them (and I understand that), they are a baseball team who does a lot of things the right way. They have some home grown talent...they pick up some free agents, make solid trades, etc. Are they slimey with tickets? Yes...but things like that do not even come close to the disgust I feel for the Yankees. I do not like the Cubs...I really don't, but if the Cubs met the Yankees in the World Series, I would wear Cubbie Blue underwear, and any real White Sox fan SHOULD agree.

soltrain21
02-16-2004, 02:27 PM
The Yankees are doing what they need to so they can win...I am very ENVIOUS...I just hate the Cubs

gogosoxgogo
02-16-2004, 02:30 PM
I agree with soltrain. I don't hate the Yankees, I'm just extremely jealous of them. Let's face it, if we had an owner like Steinbrenner, we would love it. I HATE the Cubs.

Baby Fisk
02-16-2004, 03:22 PM
If baseball was Star Wars:
Yankees = Darth Vader
Cubs = Jar Jar

If baseball was Star Trek:
Yankees = Borg
Cubs = Tribbles

If baseball was the animal kingdom:
Yankees = an 8-foot grizzley bear
Cubs = well, you know...

Hey, Vader *breathing* guy, help me out here.

RKMeibalane
02-16-2004, 03:25 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/daver/darth.jpg

*Breathing*

Baby Fisk
02-16-2004, 03:28 PM
Thanks!

pudge
02-16-2004, 03:34 PM
Remember, the hate for the Cubs is not so much about the organization, but the fans and media attention too. It's only logical to hate your regional rival, and now that interleague games are common, the Cubs are far and away our biggest rival.

Fridaythe13thJason
02-16-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by pudge
Remember, the hate for the Cubs is not so much about the organization, but the fans and media attention too. It's only logical to hate your regional rival, and now that interleague games are common, the Cubs are far and away our biggest rival.

How does that make any sense? Minnesota has won our division for 3 years. Winning our division is the key to being in the playoffs. We play the Twins about 19 times, the Cubs 6.

Unless your version of baseball is who has the most fans or newspaper stories, the Twins are our biggest rivals.

Then, the rest of the AL Central.
Then, the rest of the AL.


Then, the Cubs.

RichFitztightly
02-16-2004, 04:14 PM
I think the issue here is that most people respect the Yankees. Very few people respect the Cubs. Even less people respect the Cub fans. (See my stupid, half retarded, lobotomy victim description from a previous post) Up until last year, there was no reason to give them any respect at all.

The biggest reason that they are the White Sox rivals is that they directly compete for the city of Chicago's dollars, that therefore directly affect the team (*ahem* product) that's on the field.

If you want to separate the actual team from the business, then yes, Minnesota is our biggest rival. However, it's been discussed in great deal on this list that it's impossible to separate the team from the business side. They are too much dependant on each other for that. Therefore, the Flubs are the Sox biggest rival.

Jjav829
02-16-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by UICJason
After watching this Yankee BS for a few days here, and understanding the following few points...

1. The Yankees have a payroll over 200 Mil.
2. Bernie Williams may hit EIGHTH in their lineup.
3. Even if you doubt the improvement this trade brings, it brings every bit of publicity to that team.

...I have come to the conclusion that people who hate the Cubs more than the Yankees are morons.

I have always felt this way in general, considering I care about one thing, winning pennants. The Yankees are a team we contend with each year to get to the World Series. They are an old rival, as well. What they are doing to the game of baseball is bordering on destruction, and must be stopped.

Compare that, if you will, with the Cubs. While you may not like them (and I understand that), they are a baseball team who does a lot of things the right way. They have some home grown talent...they pick up some free agents, make solid trades, etc. Are they slimey with tickets? Yes...but things like that do not even come close to the disgust I feel for the Yankees. I do not like the Cubs...I really don't, but if the Cubs met the Yankees in the World Series, I would wear Cubbie Blue underwear, and any real White Sox fan SHOULD agree.

First off, don't question whether I am a White Sox fan because I choose not to follow in your ridiculous line of thinking. The Yankees are not doing anything wrong. Every move they make is made in a perfectly acceptable manner. It's not there fault that they aren't prevented from doing so. George is spending what he feels he has to to win. Is it ruining baseball? Yes. Is it George's fault? No. I am extremely envious of them. I wish the Sox were in a situation where they would do the same. Unfortunately, they are not and the Yankees are.

Fridaythe13thJason
02-16-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
First off, don't question whether I am a White Sox fan because I choose not to follow in your ridiculous line of thinking. The Yankees are not doing anything wrong. Every move they make is made in a perfectly acceptable manner. It's not there fault that they aren't prevented from doing so. George is spending what he feels he has to to win. Is it ruining baseball? Yes. Is it George's fault? No. I am extremely envious of them. I wish the Sox were in a situation where they would do the same. Unfortunately, they are not and the Yankees are.

If the Yankees aren't doing anything wrong, then what are the Cubs doing wrong?

And I'm sorry, but if you care about baseball, you can't say that "the Yankees aren't doing anything wrong" and "Are they ruining baseball: Yes." How is that possible? If someone was ruining something I love, then they're doing something wrong.

Let's not call the line of thinking ridiculous. I question the pride of a Chicagoan who hates fellow Chicagoans more than New Yorkers. There's not a New Yorker in the world who gives one lick about Chicago. To give them any more credit is a disservice to Chicago and its citizens.

Jjav829
02-16-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by UICJason
If the Yankees aren't doing anything wrong, then what are the Cubs doing wrong?

And I'm sorry, but if you care about baseball, you can't say that "the Yankees aren't doing anything wrong" and "Are they ruining baseball: Yes." How is that possible? If someone was ruining something I love, then they're doing something wrong.

Let's not call the line of thinking ridiculous. I question the pride of a Chicagoan who hates fellow Chicagoans more than New Yorkers. There's not a New Yorker in the world who gives one lick about Chicago. To give them any more credit is a disservice to Chicago and its citizens.

Well, illegally scalping their own tickets for one. As previous posts have said, the hate for the Cubs is largely a hate for their fans.

They aren't doing anything wrong! They are perfectly within the rules of the CBA to spend as much as they are. There is nothing wrong with it if they want to pay an enormous luxury tax. Do I hate the fact that they can spend $200 million+ while the Sox struggle to spend $60 million? Absolutely. But all they are doing is trying their hardest to win. There is nothing wrong with that. It's a shame more owners don't try to do the same, or that there isn't something preventing the Yankees from spending $200 million, but there isn't.

Go ahead. Question all you want. If you want to resort to ad hominem attacks, feel free. Since you like that so much, here's one for you. I question the integrity of someone who can only make their point by trying to tell everyone else that you either agree with me or you're not a real Chicagoan or a real Sox fan.

Fridaythe13thJason
02-16-2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Well, illegally scalping their own tickets for one. As previous posts have said, the hate for the Cubs is largely a hate for their fans.

They aren't doing anything wrong! They are perfectly within the rules of the CBA to spend as much as they are. There is nothing wrong with it if they want to pay an enormous luxury tax. Do I hate the fact that they can spend $200 million+ while the Sox struggle to spend $60 million? Absolutely. But all they are doing is trying their hardest to win. There is nothing wrong with that. It's a shame more owners don't try to do the same, or that there isn't something preventing the Yankees from spending $200 million, but there isn't.

Go ahead. Question all you want. If you want to resort to ad hominem attacks, feel free. Since you like that so much, here's one for you. I question the integrity of someone who can only make their point by trying to tell everyone else that you either agree with me or you're not a real Chicagoan or a real Sox fan.

Not exactly an ad hominem attack, but I understand your point, and contrary to what you think, I have no desire to attack.

I also apologize that you found my language harsh. I think the Yankees are a travesty to the sport I love, and I have trouble comparing that to a team I don't like that has some drunk annoying fans.

Those are in two different worlds to me, and I DO question the fandom of someone who thinks the Yankees are a-ok.

SoxEd
02-16-2004, 05:02 PM
Regardless of which of the Yanks or Cubs more deserves our hatred, I think that in a Cubs/NYY WS I'd have to root for the Yanks - for two reasons:

Firstly (and trivially); if the AL side wins, it goes some way to suggest that AL baseball is somehow inherently superior to NL (Cubs) baseball, and, more importantly;

If the Cubs were to win the WS, not only would it make them no longer the 'losingest' team in the majors, but that dubious distinction would pass to the White Sox.

Could you really stomach that?

poorme
02-16-2004, 05:09 PM
the yankees have the money and spend it
the cubs have the money and don't spend it
the sox don't have the money and don't spend it

what team would you like to be a fan of?

munchman33
02-16-2004, 05:44 PM
Jason, I grew up in a household full of Cubs fans. I've had to listen to their dribble and rants for my entire life. I think I've earned the right to hate them more than anyone else.

Lip Man 1
02-16-2004, 07:32 PM
UIC Jason:

With respect what Steinbrenner's trying to do (win) isn't killing baseball, it's what clowns like Reinsdorf, McClatchey, Pohland, Glass, Linder, Illitch and their ilk are not doing (trying to win by crying poor) that's killing baseball.

Get rid of the dead weight and bring in owners who WIN take on steinbrenner instead of throwing up their hands year after year and saying "woe is me..."

Lip

doublem23
02-16-2004, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by UICJason
if the Cubs met the Yankees in the World Series, I would wear Cubbie Blue underwear, and any real White Sox fan SHOULD agree.

Hell no... If the Yankees win again, so be it... It's not like it hasn't happened repeatedly in my lifetime, but if the Cubs should ever, god forbid, win, it'll be Armageddon. What is good for the Cubs is inherently bad for the White Sox. That's the real reason I despise them.

A. Cavatica
02-16-2004, 08:02 PM
Well, where I live there are no Cub fans. I'm able to focus on the teams themselves. As far as I'm concerned, the Yankees are much more hateful than the Cubs.

soxwon
02-16-2004, 09:07 PM
im a die hard sox fan since 1965- i despise EVERYTHING about the CUBS.
Actually i admire the Yankees, i wish we were as fortunate to have that kind of orginization, maybe im in the minority here but Id love to have a team that might year in year out win it all!!!
But when it comes to the Cubs- i LOATHE them, i have Cub fan friends, who i respect thats it-im not gonna hate them for their inadequate mentality LOL
Ive roooted for the yankees in the world series, the last 2 times i did root for the NL team though.
Im an American League fan. but i do occasionally root for the NL.
I simply cannot stomache the Cubs in the Series win or lose.

Fridaythe13thJason
02-17-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
UIC Jason:

With respect what Steinbrenner's trying to do (win) isn't killing baseball, it's what clowns like Reinsdorf, McClatchey, Pohland, Glass, Linder, Illitch and their ilk are not doing (trying to win by crying poor) that's killing baseball.

Get rid of the dead weight and bring in owners who WIN take on steinbrenner instead of throwing up their hands year after year and saying "woe is me..."

Lip

Thanks for the intelligent reply. While I wholeheartedly disagree with you, your arrgument makes sense. The problem is that the Yankees have now reached a point where their advantage is not going to go away. Contrary to what a lot of people think, the Yankees are still making money, even with that payroll. It's not like George is using all his money and is a martyr of baseball passions. With his radio and TV deals and the market he is in, this could last forever. You can hate Pohlad or Reinsdorf all you want, but I can't expect people to spend their own fortunes to buy players when it may just be lost money in the long run. The system is flawed and Steinbrenner unmercilessly takes advantage of it.

Jjav829
02-17-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by UICJason
Thanks for the intelligent reply. While I wholeheartedly disagree with you, your arrgument makes sense. The problem is that the Yankees have now reached a point where their advantage is not going to go away. Contrary to what a lot of people think, the Yankees are still making money, even with that payroll. It's not like George is using all his money and is a martyr of baseball passions. With his radio and TV deals and the market he is in, this could last forever. You can hate Pohlad or Reinsdorf all you want, but I can't expect people to spend their own fortunes to buy players when it may just be lost money in the long run. The system is flawed and Steinbrenner unmercilessly takes advantage of it.

Bingo! You're finally coming around! It's not Steinbrenner's fault that he can spend so much money. Dislike him for doing his best to win with what he has, but he is doing nothing wrong.

Fridaythe13thJason
02-17-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Bingo! You're finally coming around! It's not Steinbrenner's fault that he can spend so much money. Dislike him for doing his best to win with what he has, but he is doing nothing wrong.

If you see that as coming around, so be it. I could never ever root for the Yankees over anyone. I think I would root for the North Koreans over the Yankees. :smile:

The Cubs owners have a lot of money, but again, I don't expect newspaper revenue to go towards baseball, just as I wouldn't expect baseball revenue to go toward a newspaper.

Jjav829
02-17-2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by UICJason
If you see that as coming around, so be it. I could never ever root for the Yankees over anyone. I think I would root for the North Koreans over the Yankees. :smile:

The Cubs owners have a lot of money, but again, I don't expect newspaper revenue to go towards baseball, just as I wouldn't expect baseball revenue to go toward a newspaper.

Thats fine. Root for whoever you want. I don't really care as long as you're rooting for the White Sox. All I was saying is that if you are rooting against the Yankees because you think they are doing something wrong, then your reasoning is flawed. If you are rooting against them because you are upset they can spend so much, fine. Just realize that there is nothing wrong with what they are doing. Any team in a similar situation could spend the same amount of money.

munchman33
02-17-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
Well, where I live there are no Cub fans. I'm able to focus on the teams themselves. As far as I'm concerned, the Yankees are much more hateful than the Cubs.

Where is this mythical land of the No-Cubs?

Fridaythe13thJason
02-17-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Thats fine. Root for whoever you want. I don't really care as long as you're rooting for the White Sox. All I was saying is that if you are rooting against the Yankees because you think they are doing something wrong, then your reasoning is flawed. If you are rooting against them because you are upset they can spend so much, fine. Just realize that there is nothing wrong with what they are doing. Any team in a similar situation could spend the same amount of money.

I don't think the situation is that simple. Maybe it is in sports, I don't know. But compare it to something in regular life. Laws govern our lives much like rules in baseball govern theirs. A man who goes home after work and drinks a lot of beer and doesn't pay any attention to his kids or his wife is not breaking any laws. He is, however, a dispicable human being whom I don't respect at all.