SaltyPretzel
02-16-2004, 02:19 PM
I went to the park with my digital camera and took these pics:

SaltyPretzel
02-16-2004, 02:25 PM
Oops. How do you post jpegs?

gogosoxgogo
02-16-2004, 02:28 PM
Attach it. When you post a reply, go down to the bottom (right above the submit reply button), hit browse and upload. You can only do one at a time.

SaltyPretzel
02-16-2004, 02:48 PM
Thanks. The pics are over 2 mb, so I'll have to figure out how to make them smaller.

Randar68
02-16-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by SaltyPretzel
Thanks. The pics are over 2 mb, so I'll have to figure out how to make them smaller.

Open them in MS Paint and resize them before saving them again (make sure you change the name)

SaltyPretzel
02-16-2004, 03:17 PM
Try this again:

SaltyPretzel
02-16-2004, 03:18 PM

SaltyPretzel
02-16-2004, 03:24 PM

SaltyPretzel
02-16-2004, 03:25 PM

SaltyPretzel

SaltyPretzel

SaltyPretzel
02-16-2004, 03:26 PM

SaltyPretzel

SaltyPretzel

SaltyPretzel
02-16-2004, 03:27 PM

SaltyPretzel
02-16-2004, 03:28 PM

SaltyPretzel

SaltyPretzel

SaltyPretzel
02-16-2004, 03:33 PM

soltrain21
02-16-2004, 03:34 PM
Looking good! Thanks for the update

Randar68
02-16-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by soltrain21

Amen, I've been checking the MLB site for my weekly fix religiously, and I always appreciate the effort!

dickallen15
02-16-2004, 03:46 PM
Thank you, Salty

SSN721
02-16-2004, 03:47 PM
Thanks a lot for the pics. I think the new lights look great.

MRKARNO
02-16-2004, 03:55 PM
It appears as though they still have a lot of work to do

Over By There
02-16-2004, 04:05 PM
I think it looks good. I still would rather use the $$ to make a little better team, and keep USCF as it was last year. I've never had a problem with our ballpark.

Randar68
02-16-2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Over By There
I think it looks good. I still would rather use the $$ to make a little better team, and keep USCF as it was last year. I've never had a problem with our ballpark.

They didn't sell the naming rights to the team, just the ballpark.

Mammoo
02-16-2004, 04:43 PM
Wow!!!!!!!!!

What a difference :)

Over By There
02-16-2004, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
They didn't sell the naming rights to the team, just the ballpark.

Can they only use the US Cellular $$ on the park infrastructure itself? I'm a newbie and probably missed any previous discussion on the topic.

Randar68
02-16-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Over By There
Can they only use the US Cellular $$ on the park infrastructure itself? I'm a newbie and probably missed any previous discussion on the topic.

Correct. They money was also not a lump sum, it was distributed, although, IIRC, somewhat unevenly, over the course of the deal.

Kuzman
02-16-2004, 05:35 PM
Yep i passed that going up to the city this weekend, its looking great!

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-16-2004, 05:59 PM
Looks awesome. It's too bad that the home opener is on my birthday and I can't go because of school!

soxnut
02-16-2004, 06:02 PM
I had been driving past the park all week while owrking at the auto show. I'm glad someone got a chance to take pictures..thanks Salty!!!

The other day when I saw the lights go up, I got a warm feeling inside. For years, I thought about how, if they ever remodeled the park, what kind of lights should go on the park. They are almost exactly what I wanted, so that's kind of weird, but really cool.

Salty, did you happen to notice something on the 35th St. side of the park? Along 35th, between the LF corner ramp and the ramps that cross over the street? It looks like they are doing some work on the street level inside the building. When driving by the other night, I could see metal 2x4's put up. It looks like they are making rooms or something along that side. I wonder if they are constructing new offices or maybe shops? Have any idea?

patbooyah
02-16-2004, 06:09 PM
i know this isn't possible, and if it were, surely not probable...

but how great would it be if the sox were putting up a tavern or something on the side of the building? that way after a win we could all head over and celebrate. more people would come because it would be on stadium grounds. it would add a little atmosphere to the park.

our bar wouldn't be for frat boys like the wrigleyville bars. it would be your classic tavern- no dance music and no gelled hair. full of cute sox fan girls.f

sorry. im day dreaming. i'll get back to work now. :gulp:

soxnut
02-16-2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by patbooyah
i know this isn't possible, and if it were, surely not probable...

but how great would it be if the sox were putting up a tavern or something on the side of the building? that way after a win we could all head over and celebrate. more people would come because it would be on stadium grounds. it would add a little atmosphere to the park.

our bar wouldn't be for frat boys like the wrigleyville bars. it would be your classic tavern- no dance music and no gelled hair. full of cute sox fan girls.f

sorry. im day dreaming. i'll get back to work now. :gulp:

Hey, if I didn't put gel in my hair it'd be way too puffy!!! :D:

I think the only way a tavern would go in there is if they leased it to someone/a company. That way I don't think the Sox bear as much responsibility for whatever happens after fans leave it. I'm not sure about that, I'm no lawyer. But, I did email Mr. Gallas about leaving the bullpen bar open later than they do. He mentioned something to that effect about that idea. :(:

patbooyah
02-16-2004, 06:22 PM
yeah- i'm just hoping that as the neighborhood gets better there will start to be more atmosphere around the park. i realize the sox couldn't operate a bar, but maybe i'll move home and open one myself.

shbart
02-16-2004, 06:25 PM
Latest I've heard from a family friend who works for Turner construction, is that the project is a little behind as mentioned. The snow has been the biggest problem, not the cold. The big thing now is that the lights can only go up on days when there is no wind....so I guess Tom Skilling will determine if they make the deadline for the home opener.

soxnut
02-16-2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by shbart
Latest I've heard from a family friend who works for Turner construction, is that the project is a little behind as mentioned. The snow has been the biggest problem, not the cold. The big thing now is that the lights can only go up on days when there is no wind....so I guess Tom Skilling will determine if they make the deadline for the home opener.

I can see that being a problem, especially with the warm weather that is on the way for the rest of the week. It probably will be windy as well when that happens. Does your friend happen to know what is going on along 35th, about what I mentioned in my previous posts?

saltwater farmer
02-16-2004, 06:33 PM
i realize the sox couldn't operate a bar, but maybe i'll move home and open one myself.

The Rockies, Red Sox, BlueJays, and Brewers all have bars in their ballparks. And those are just the ones I know from personal experience. It can be done.
:gulp:

Daver
02-16-2004, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by saltwater farmer
The Rockies, Red Sox, BlueJays, and Brewers all have bars in their ballparks. And those are just the ones I know from personal experience. It can be done.

Comiskey Park has a bar in it also.

patbooyah
02-16-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by saltwater farmer

well then. i'll start looking for investors here. any takers? maybe u.s. cellular would like to sponsor a bar?

i'll call it:

"u.s. cellular tavern"

patbooyah
02-16-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Comiskey Park has a bar in it also.

daver- i'm talking about a bar that is safe and would have mass appeal operated outside the park(very close) that could stay open later than the 7th inning.

MRKARNO
02-16-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by shbart

The first night game isnt until April 20th, so they have some time to put up the lights if that's all that's left to be done. The home-opening series is a set of three 1:05 PM games midweek (How stupid).

chisoxmike
02-16-2004, 06:46 PM
Looks awesome. It's too bad that the home opener is on my birthday and I can't go because of school!

Ditch school! Thats what I did in high school and now in college!!! :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

IT'S OPENING DAY!!!!! IT'S A HOLIDAY! :)

batmanZoSo
02-16-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by soltrain21

Whoa is your sig accurate? Magglio on the cover? Last year's EA game blew, but I might have to check this one out lol. When does it come out?

Daver
02-16-2004, 07:10 PM
daver- i'm talking about a bar that is safe and would have mass appeal operated outside the park(very close) that could stay open later than the 7th inning.

I park on side streets off of State st. for night games at Comiskey and I feel perfectly safe walking back to my truck after the game.

patbooyah
02-16-2004, 08:00 PM
you might. as would i- but i know that my girlfriend wouldn't. and who wants a bar if no girls go. :cool:

ewokpelts
02-16-2004, 11:21 PM
the bullpen bar is open past the 7th...and it's safe...it's just that stadium parking cant be op[en all night, and it's owned/operated by the sox...other teams' bars are operated by outside companies, and have non-game day lots avaialble next to teh bar site....
Gene

Hangar18
02-16-2004, 11:35 PM

In this particular pic, Wish they would Bulldoze that IDOT
parking lot, and put some restaurants in its stead ....
the pics are Cool....good job kurt. The park looks so much
better. Imagine if theyd used Bricks instead of precast
concrete?

CubKilla
02-16-2004, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
In this particular pic, Wish they would Bulldoze that IDOT
parking lot, and put some restaurants in its stead ....

That's where I park. It saves me, now, $16 a game when I go. So a resounding NO to that idea.

Hangar18
02-16-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by chisoxmike
Ditch school! Thats what I did in high school and now in college!!! :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

IT'S OPENING DAY!!!!! IT'S A HOLIDAY! :)

Chisoxmike Speaks the Truth. It is a Holiday. I'll be there.
" Jerry Must Sell" sign and all ........

Hangar18
02-16-2004, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
That's where I park. It saves me, now, $16 a game when I go. So a resounding NO to that idea.

You cant stop PROGRESS Cubkilla.....things have to progress and expand....Wait. this is Jerry Reinsdorf were talking about.
He'll keep things backwards as long as hes around

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-16-2004, 11:57 PM
Good idea but I don't think I'd be able to get away with it because I haven't missed a day of school and I'm pretty much the only sox fan in my entire school and all of my teachers know that. :(:

Realist
02-17-2004, 12:40 AM
well then. i'll start looking for investors here. any takers? maybe u.s. cellular would like to sponsor a bar?

i'll call it:

"u.s. cellular tavern"

I'm already on it. I've got a call in to a realtor right now looking for something for me near the park.

Of course there's always room for 2 new taverns (hopefully). :smile:

patbooyah
02-17-2004, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
the bullpen bar is open past the 7th...and it's safe...it's just that stadium parking cant be op[en all night, and it's owned/operated by the sox...other teams' bars are operated by outside companies, and have non-game day lots avaialble next to teh bar site....
Gene

i must admit- i've never been to the bullpen bar. is it the type of place people could relax after the game? thats all i want. a pizza joint/bar for sox fans to hang out together with a back room for the guys that run this site to have their private meetings in.

maybe a little illegal gambling in that back room. poker games at least? like the south side of the old days.

again- im dreaming/rambling. maybe i should go to bed. :gulp:

patbooyah
02-17-2004, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Realist
I'm already on it. I've got a call in to a realtor right now looking for something for me near the park.

Of course there's always room for 2 new taverns (hopefully). :smile:

are you being serious? cause if so i'll come back to chicago and work there for free to help you get it off the ground.

okay. i take back the free part. i'll work hard.

well, come to think of it... i'll drink there.

WhiteSox = Life
02-17-2004, 01:39 AM
Well done, Salty!

The pictures look good as do the renovations.

I just want to reference post number 16, the first one on page 2. Something about that view, in my opinion, could be a good commercial... Something like:

Fade in to that picture... "It's not too loud around here most of the time, and you won't hear much." There's a sound in the background of a rising level of crowd noise. "However, when the Sox are tied going into the final inning, the noise will soon become deafening." The crowd becomes louder and several quick shots of, say, Thomas and Washburn (I'm thinking of the Angels game here)... "And, when contact is made..." Loud crack of the bat. Noise gets louder. "And, when the ball takes off..." Even louder. "And, everyone sees that zooming white pellet land over the fence..." Monstrous roar of cheering. "You'll hear it." Shot of Thomas touching home plate for the win and getting showered by the Sox. "And you'll love it."

I'unno... It's 1:40 A.M. I kind of like the idea, and perhaps written under daylight circumstances would be better, but I think it sounds pretty appealing... At least to me.

Anyway, good pictures, Salty. Thanks.

Life-Style

Nick@Nite
02-17-2004, 05:22 AM
Sal, great pics! :cool:

Hvala!

SSN721
02-17-2004, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
Well done, Salty!

I just want to reference post number 16, the first one on page 2. Something about that view, in my opinion, could be a good commercial... Something like:

Fade in to that picture... "It's not too loud around here most of the time, and you won't hear much." There's a sound in the background of a rising level of crowd noise. "However, when the Sox are tied going into the final inning, the noise will soon become deafening." The crowd becomes louder and several quick shots of, say, Thomas and Washburn (I'm thinking of the Angels game here)... "And, when contact is made..." Loud crack of the bat. Noise gets louder. "And, when the ball takes off..." Even louder. "And, everyone sees that zooming white pellet land over the fence..." Monstrous roar of cheering. "You'll hear it." Shot of Thomas touching home plate for the win and getting showered by the Sox. "And you'll love it."

I'unno... It's 1:40 A.M. I kind of like the idea, and perhaps written under daylight circumstances would be better, but I think it sounds pretty appealing... At least to me.

Life-Style

Not too bad at all for 1:40 AM, sounds like a pretty good idea to me. :D:

SaltyPretzel
02-17-2004, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
Well done, Salty!

Life-Style

As long as there's no lame fiddle music, it sounds good to me. Glad you guys like the pics.

steff
02-17-2004, 07:45 AM

The BPSB is open until 90 minutes after the game ends..

Brian26
02-17-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by steff
The BPSB is open until 90 minutes after the game ends..

I'm surprised that more people don't frequent the BPSB, because it really is a cool set-up. I think the main problem is that people forget that can't get back into the park once they leave through one of the other exits. If you want to get to the bar after the game, you really need to make a conscience effort to go down the rightfield corner ramp. And, if you're in the upperdeck, you really have to make an effort since they sometimes block you off from going that way or from re-entering on the lower deck.

Frater Perdurabo
02-17-2004, 09:21 AM
How much better would the park look if they could tear down at least some of the monstrous exterior ramps?

No, its not a brick, but the tan concrete and blue tinted glass facade is rather nice.

Perhaps if the team offices move to the rumoured building to be built beyond left field, then new ramps could be built inside the stadium. Also, now that the capacity of the upper deck has been reduced, perhaps they would not need as many exterior ramps to the upper deck for fire code purposes.

Randar68
02-17-2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
How much better would the park look if they could tear down at least some of the monstrous exterior ramps?

No, its not a brick, but the tan concrete and blue tinted glass facade is rather nice.

Perhaps if the team offices move to the rumoured building to be built beyond left field, then new ramps could be built inside the stadium. Also, now that the capacity of the upper deck has been reduced, perhaps they would not need as many exterior ramps to the upper deck for fire code purposes.

One possibility for the final phase of the project included just that. A separate building to house the Team offices would be built and the exterior ramps would be moved inside the park. The Grand Entrance enclosing the LF corner ramp would also "hide" the ramps.

Renditions I have seen of this proposal are absolutely SHOCKING and nothing short of breath-taking considering what the park looked like 3 years ago.

jshanahanjr
02-17-2004, 10:36 AM
Thanks for posting the pics!

Frater Perdurabo
02-17-2004, 12:33 PM
One possibility for the final phase of the project included just that. A separate building to house the Team offices would be built and the exterior ramps would be moved inside the park. The Grand Entrance enclosing the LF corner ramp would also "hide" the ramps.

Renditions I have seen of this proposal are absolutely SHOCKING and nothing short of breath-taking considering what the park looked like 3 years ago.

Are those the renderings that were on the HKS web site several months back?

Randar68
02-17-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
Are those the renderings that were on the HKS web site several months back?

There have been numerous variations posted, and I just can't remember where that one came from...

rcescato
02-17-2004, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the pix they look good. I wont have to drive by the park today.

IlliniSox
02-17-2004, 03:56 PM
I've heard a lot of talk about the "grand entrance" in left, has anyone seen these renderings somewhere on the net?

joeynach
02-17-2004, 04:23 PM
There have been numerous variations posted, and I just can't remember where that one came from...

i think you are talking about these pics

soxnut
02-17-2004, 04:24 PM
I just found out what they are currently building on the street level of the ballpark on the 35th St. side................meeting rooms..........BORING :(:

joeynach
02-17-2004, 04:25 PM

and this one too

steff
02-17-2004, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
I'm surprised that more people don't frequent the BPSB, because it really is a cool set-up. I think the main problem is that people forget that can't get back into the park once they leave through one of the other exits. If you want to get to the bar after the game, you really need to make a conscience effort to go down the rightfield corner ramp. And, if you're in the upperdeck, you really have to make an effort since they sometimes block you off from going that way or from re-entering on the lower deck.

Really..? We always just walk around the gate entrance and walk in the door. Never had an issue. :?:

soxnut
02-17-2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by joeynach
i think you are talking about these pics

They really need to do what's in that rendering in my opinion. With that building, that should be where the Sox offices go, plus house a restaurant/bar that's open all year, and have a new, larger White Sox Hall of Fame/Museum and gift shop, with tours available, just like at Turner Field. :smile:

Plus, getting grid of the ramps will give it a better look on the outside. I remember before they built the ramp that crossed 35th, I really liked that look. I clipped out a newspaper photo of that side of the park, it looksso much better without the ramps. :smile:

joeynach
02-17-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
They really need to do what's in that rendering in my opinion. With that building, that should be where the Sox offices go, plus house a restaurant/bar that's open all year, and have a new, larger White Sox Hall of Fame/Museum and gift shop, with tours available, just like at Turner Field. :smile:

Plus, getting grid of the ramps will give it a better look on the outside. I remember before they built the ramp that crossed 35th, I really liked that look. I clipped out a newspaper photo of that side of the park, it looksso much better without the ramps. :smile:

It would also look better if the exterior was not constructed with pre cast bland concrete. It gives a lifeless, no thrill, no atmoshpere look to our field for everyone to see from the outside. Why do you think no other stadium looks this way. Honestly they need to do something about that, brick, siding, glass, steel, someting. Anything except for bland, uninspiring ugly concrete. One word for that, cheap!!

Daver
02-17-2004, 04:51 PM
As long as there's no lame fiddle music, it sounds good to me. Glad you guys like the pics.

What's wrong with fiddle music?

joeynach
02-17-2004, 04:52 PM
and this one too

i found this too, its kinda old though

maurice
02-17-2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Realist

If you want to purchase a mixed-use building on 35th St., you might take a look at this one (http://www.mlsni.com/FullListingDetail.asp?MLS_NUMBER=03155915&PropertyType=CO&fd=False&intbookmark=0&cboPropTypeList=&oldsearch=&cboAreaList=&txtPriceMax=&txtPriceMin=&mode=finished&searchtype=commercial). It's a short walk to the park, and the first floor recently contained a small restaurant before the owner retired.

BeerHandle
02-17-2004, 05:15 PM
If you are heading south on the Dan Ryan and get on to the Stevenson heading towards St. Louis (SW Burbs) you can see the park. It looks great from the peak of the ramp as you start to head down to the Stevenson.

Brian26
02-17-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by steff
Really..? We always just walk around the gate entrance and walk in the door. Never had an issue. :?:

Some of us don't have your type of clout, Steff :)

You're saying you actually leave the park and they let you back in down in the rightfield corner? Or am I misinterpreting what you're saying? I've seen people turned away, standing there with their ticket stub in hand, trying to get back into the park to go to the bar because they had left through one of the south gates.

soxnut
02-17-2004, 11:22 PM
It would also look better if the exterior was not constructed with pre cast bland concrete. It gives a lifeless, no thrill, no atmoshpere look to our field for everyone to see from the outside. Why do you think no other stadium looks this way. Honestly they need to do something about that, brick, siding, glass, steel, someting. Anything except for bland, uninspiring ugly concrete. One word for that, cheap!!

So, what is your point towards me? :?:

steff
02-18-2004, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
Some of us don't have your type of clout, Steff :)

You're saying you actually leave the park and they let you back in down in the rightfield corner? Or am I misinterpreting what you're saying? I've seen people turned away, standing there with their ticket stub in hand, trying to get back into the park to go to the bar because they had left through one of the south gates.

Not back in the turnstyle, but the door next to it. We've never had an issue. I don't think it's clout.. I think if you just ask nicely?