PDA

View Full Version : Great trade by Rangers

lowesox
02-16-2004, 12:34 PM
Just thought I'd say that I think Texas cleaned up in this trade. Not only did the Rangers get rid of Arod, they also got a budding star in Soriano. And with all of the payroll flexibility this will give them, they'll be a contender in less than a year or two.

Now, they're going to need some pitching. So since we're not going anywhere this year or next, I say, let's make a deal!

SEALgep
02-16-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Just thought I'd say that I think Texas cleaned up in this trade. Not only did the Rangers get rid of Arod, they also got a budding star in Soriano. And with all of the payroll flexibility this will give them, they'll be a contender in less than a year or two.

Now, they're going to need some pitching. So since we're not going anywhere this year or next, I say, let's make a deal! Before we give them kudos for a move, that does indeed help them, especially with financial flexibility, keep in mind that they are still paying big time for the mistake they made.

SoxxoS
02-16-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Before we give them kudos for a move, that does indeed help them, especially with financial flexibility, keep in mind that they are still paying big time for the mistake they made.

And they lost the best player in the game at the hardest position to fill, for a possible 40-40 guy that has bad plate disipline.

SEALgep
02-16-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
And they lost the best player in the game at the hardest position to fill, for a possible 40-40 guy that has bad plate disipline. True, but they absolutely needed the salary relief in order to have any chance of competing in the coming years. Now they can get the pitching they desperately need. However, they are still going to be paying for this mistake for a while, literally and figuratively.

jeremyb1
02-16-2004, 12:50 PM
There's a great article here (http://premium.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=2564) at baseball prospectus that discusses some of these articles. They make a number of good points including the fact that 1) the Rangers are still paying ARod a lot of money 2) Soriano will make a great deal more money in future seasons 3) It is too late for the Rangers to add key players with their financial flexibility this season 4) The Rangers will lose a great deal of money in revenue without ARod to fill the seats that will cut into their savings 5) A substantial portion of the savings will most likely be used to pay Texiera and Blalock which would've happened even if the deal hadn't been made.

ChiSox65
02-16-2004, 01:13 PM
This will work out better for the Rangers than for the Yanks.

The Rangers get a 40/40 guy who is still learning and going to get better, payroll flexibility,and a prospect. The Yanks will be adding a few homers and some controversy. Wait till Jeter gets hurt again and Arod takes over at short.

rmusacch
02-16-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by lowesox

Now, they're going to need some pitching. So since we're not going anywhere this year or next, I say, let's make a deal!

They are paying $67 million of the remaining contract. Don't know how well they made out.

A. Cavatica
02-16-2004, 01:21 PM
No way. Texas got fleeced, and not just for having to pay a huge chunk of A-Rod's remaining contract. Soriano will be gone in a few years, and A-Rod will play the rest of his career with the Yankees.

lowesox
02-16-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
No way. Texas got fleeced, and not just for having to pay a huge chunk of A-Rod's remaining contract. Soriano will be gone in a few years, and A-Rod will play the rest of his career with the Yankees.

The Rangers could turn around and trade Soriano tomorrow for a VERY high price tag. Could the Yankees do the same with Rodriguez?

To me, it's all about value. Sure, Rodriguez is a more expensive player, but when you compare talent to salary - Soriano is far more valuable.

Huisj
02-16-2004, 01:40 PM
the fact alone that texas is going to end up paying more for 3 years of ARod than the Yankees will for 7 years of ARod doesn't really make it a real good deal for the Rangers.

34 Inch Stick
02-16-2004, 02:02 PM
If you were the Rangers wouldn't you have made it a priority to get a starting pitcher in the deal? Even a question mark like Lieber would have helped the Ranger rotation. This trade haunts the Rangers for years to come. Even if the Yankees had to eat ARod's contract without any production it would just be a minor inconvenience. Imagine what it is to them to have the best player in the game, who at 28, is ABOUT TO ENTER HIS PRIME.

As a Yankee fan it must be nice to know the regular season is a warm up for the playoffs.