PDA

View Full Version : Dodgers Officially Hire a GM

SEALgep
02-16-2004, 12:53 PM
http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/7093598

Any implications to the Sox? We shall see.

gogosoxgogo
02-16-2004, 12:54 PM
No surprise there. Hopefully this means that the Dodgers will make a serious bid for Maddux and the Odalis Perez talks will heat up.

mantis1212
02-16-2004, 12:57 PM
Best-case senario at this point: They steal Maddox from the Cubs and trade Perez for Konerko straight up. I would be very optimistic for our chances at the division then...

MRKARNO
02-16-2004, 01:04 PM
Best case situation:

Dodgers sign maddux
Dodgers trade Odalis Perez to White Sox for Paul Konerko

Worst case scenario:

Cubs sign Maddux
Dodgers trade Odalis Perez to White Sox for Frank Thomas

But somehow I dont see Bubba Trammel or Robin Ventura in their lineup (Ventura at first with Green in the OF or Trammel in the OF with Green at 1b.)

Right now their Rotation is:

Hideo Nomo
Odalis Perez
Kaz Ishii
Jeff Weaver
Wilson Alvarez

Other starters:
Edwin Jackson
Tanyon Sturtze
Jose Lima
Darren Dreifort

I think they could spare us Odalis for Konerko, especially considering that Jackson is gonna be a fixture for them. It's a win-win situation for both sides. We give up hitting (of which we have an abundance of) for starting (one of our thinnest spots). And they get offense for starting.

Hell, maybe we could get Ventura or Cora as a throw in.

SEALgep
02-16-2004, 01:09 PM
I still don't think the Sox had or have any intention of trading Thomas for Perez staright up. For Konerko though, that's another story. I like Konerko, but the movement of that salary would help us out. I still, and I've said this on more than one occasion, that I would like the addition of Travis Lee. He was reportedly going to the Yanks, but no deal has been signed and it's been a while. My guess, and I certainly could be far off, but I think he might be waiting for us to make a move like this. He can sign as a backup for the Yanks, or possibly start for the Sox. Just throwing it out there, who knows?

CubKilla
02-16-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by mantis1212
I would be very optimistic for our chances at the division then...

Whoopee! How optimistic would you be after that?

mantis1212
02-16-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
I still don't think the Sox had or have any intention of trading Thomas for Perez staright up. For Konerko though, that's another story. I like Konerko, but the movement of that salary would help us out. I still, and I've said this on more than one occasion, that I would like the addition of Travis Lee. He was reportedly going to the Yanks, but no deal has been signed and it's been a while. My guess, and I certainly could be far off, but I think he might be waiting for us to make a move like this. He can sign as a backup for the Yanks, or possibly start for the Sox. Just throwing it out there, who knows?

Looking at Perez's stats, I think he could be pretty solid. 3.5 to 1 K to BB, 1.28 WHIP. These are better then Garland AND Buerhle last year. I would even be willing to send cash with Konerko to make the salaries a wash...

Dadawg_77
02-16-2004, 02:10 PM
Hopefully Kenny loses the number for the Dodgers. Damn, I was hoping the Sox would hire Paul to replace Kenny.

SEALgep
02-16-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Hopefully Kenny loses the number for the Dodgers. Damn, I was hoping the Sox would hire Paul to replace Kenny. Even if Kenny were going to be replaced, Dave Wilder would probably be the guy. This guy is said to be ready to take a GM job, and he is currently our scouting director. They talk about him on the whitesox.com site, if anyone is curious about him.

Dadawg_77
02-16-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Even if Kenny were going to be replaced, Dave Wilder would probably be the guy. This guy is said to be ready to take a GM job, and he is currently our scouting director. They talk about him on the whitesox.com site, if anyone is curious about him.

The thing is I would want someone outside the White Sox organization. The philosophy held currently hasn't done much and to expect someone coming from inside to change it might be to much.

soxtalker
02-16-2004, 03:27 PM
Does anyone have any idea how DePodesta will view Thomas or Konerko by HIS measures? So far, I've only seen comments on the board (this thread and others) that are evaluating the players by more-or-less conventional/historical baseball standards. I'd expect DePodesta to be a bit different.

Dadawg_77
02-16-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
Does anyone have any idea how DePodesta will view Thomas or Konerko by HIS measures? So far, I've only seen comments on the board (this thread and others) that are evaluating the players by more-or-less conventional/historical baseball standards. I'd expect DePodesta to be a bit different.

He'll take Thomas over Konerko. OPB is major factor in DePodesta's decision process.

kempsted
02-16-2004, 11:27 PM

Actually if you have only seen comments on this board that are evaluating the players by more-or-less conventional/historical baseball standards you have not read very closely. Lots of Sabrmatic type statistics have been used.

Paul is the man behind Billy Beane - the man with the computer. He likes OBP and Thomas had the highest on the team last year and almost every year he has played. He is number 10 of all time lifetime OBP. Definitely DePodesta wouldn't want Konerko and would want Thomas. I think DePodesta taking over should kill the rest of the Konerko rumors.

jeremyb1
02-16-2004, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by kempsted
Paul is the man behind Billy Beane - the man with the computer. He likes OBP and Thomas had the highest on the team last year and almost every year he has played. He is number 10 of all time lifetime OBP. Definitely DePodesta wouldn't want Konerko and would want Thomas. I think DePodesta taking over should kill the rest of the Konerko rumors.

True, OBP is important to the new school GMs such as Riccardi, Epstein, Beane, and DePodesta but a lot of their skill is simply employing general common sense. Yes, DePodesta no doubt accurately views Thomas' production as more valuable than Konerko, but just because Frank has a high OBP that doesn't necessarily mean Paul will want to acquire a 36 year old DH with a lot of years and dollars left on his contract.

Rex Hudler
02-16-2004, 11:40 PM
Dodgers may be trading pitching to Texas instead of the Sox now.

SEALgep
02-17-2004, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by Rex Hudler
Dodgers may be trading pitching to Texas instead of the Sox now. For Soriano? I guess it would have to be, there isn't anyone else who would the kind of player they would be looking for. The others are too young and valuable to the Rangers (Blaylock, Texeria). The Dodgers have a need for lead off man as well. My guess is if they did trade for him, they would play him at second, not CF. We'll see though, this is all speculation.

mdep524
02-17-2004, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
The thing is I would want someone outside the White Sox organization. The philosophy held currently hasn't done much and to expect someone coming from inside to change it might be to much.

Defintely. Not that Kenny is going anywhere, but if he were to be replaced I would without a doubt want it to be from someone outside the organization.

Though I think it might be too late now, I would still be up for a Konerko + cash for Perez and Ventura trade. I really wouldn't mind throwing a little cash into the equation because, honestly, if we don't spend the $8 million on Pauly, JR will just pocket the money anyway and KW will say "OK, now we are at our budget."

gosox41
02-17-2004, 08:52 AM

DePodesta probably wouldn't touch Konerko with a 10 foot pole unless he's sumping salary in return for him.

Bob

Dadawg_77
02-17-2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
True, OBP is important to the new school GMs such as Riccardi, Epstein, Beane, and DePodesta but a lot of their skill is simply employing general common sense. Yes, DePodesta no doubt accurately views Thomas' production as more valuable than Konerko, but just because Frank has a high OBP that doesn't necessarily mean Paul will want to acquire a 36 year old DH with a lot of years and dollars left on his contract.

No it doesn't but that wasn't the question at hand.

soxtalker
02-17-2004, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1

And what about the other side of the equation -- what LA would give up? How would DePodesta value the top-rated prospects, Perez, etc?

jeremyb1
02-17-2004, 02:29 PM
And what about the other side of the equation -- what LA would give up? How would DePodesta value the top-rated prospects, Perez, etc?

I'm guessing if Paul had to move a member of the rotation It'd probably be Ishii. He's older than Perez, has a larger contract, and walks a ton of guys. I'd be willing to bet Perez has a better season next year and I'm guessing Paul would too. As far as position players go he's probably not a huge fan of Lo Duca who doesn't walk at all or the all field, no hit guys in Cora and Izturis.

Mammoo
02-17-2004, 04:05 PM
Maybe Owner Jerry will hire him back if he decides to hang KW out to dry! :?:

http://www.canada.com/sports/baseball/story.html?id=40BA67DC-F7E9-47F4-A8DF-C2C473818A8B