PDA

View Full Version : There he goes again: Gammons suggests Buehrle to Yanks

MRKARNO
02-16-2004, 12:51 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1736367

:boston

It is also February, which gives Cashman 5 months to go get Jarrod Washburn, Odalis Perez, Al Leiter, Mark Buehrle ...

Gammons is retarded for even suggesting Buehrle and probably for suggesting Leiter too. The first two were good suggestions, but the second two have not been on the block this year at all. KW now has become very gunshy about making deals because of his previous misteps and he would only do a deal if it truly benefitted the team in his eyes, otherwise Maggs, PK and Thomas might all be gone now. Gammons seems to think that the White Sox are a farm team for the other major league teams. Things like this make me want to see the White Sox win even more to prove that this man is a fool. I dont hate Gammons, just the mentality that exists in the Northeast that leads to their foremost reporters making these types of comments

poorme
02-16-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO

Gammons seems to think that the White Sox are a farm team for the other major league teams.

Wherever would he get that impression?

gogosoxgogo
02-16-2004, 12:56 PM
That won't happen. Buehrle has a great contract and the Sox aren't going to give away such a good young arm. KW values pitching. Gammons is just bitter over A-Rod.

SEALgep
02-16-2004, 12:57 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1736367

Gammons is retarded for even suggesting Buehrle and probably for suggesting Leiter too. The first two were good suggestions, but the second two have not been on the block this year at all. KW now has become very gunshy about making deals because of his previous misteps and he would only do a deal if it truly benefitted the team in his eyes, otherwise Maggs, PK and Thomas might all be gone now. Gammons seems to think that the White Sox are a farm team for the other major league teams. Things like this make me want to see the White Sox win even more to prove that this man is a fool. I dont hate Gammons, just the mentality that exists in the Northeast that leads to their foremost reporters making these types of comments He doesn't know what he's talking about most of the time. Who could they possibly gives us for him. We want pitching, and he thinks we're going to give up one of the best pitchers (if not the best) after locking him up for three years. Who could they possibly gives us to make this deal happen with the salaries their players make? Gammons is just talking, I don't think he knows what he is saying, I think he is just too shell shocked from this A-Rod turnaround. I really think he wanted Boston to get him.

CubKilla
02-16-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
KW values pitching.

Todd Ritchie anyone?

A. Cavatica
02-16-2004, 12:59 PM
Don't blame Gammons for suggesting Buehrle here. The Yanks need a topnotch lefty starter, and Buehrle qualifies. And we all know that the Sox would sell Buehrle if the price was right.

SEALgep
02-16-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Todd Ritchie anyone? Bad trade- it certainly didn't work out, but he made it because he valued pitching, not inspite of it.

SEALgep
02-16-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
Don't blame Gammons for suggesting Buehrle here. The Yanks need a topnotch lefty starter, and Buehrle qualifies. And we all know that the Sox would sell Buehrle if the price was right. Well if the price is right, is there anybody you wouldn't trade. Getting better value for people that helps your team is a no brainer. However, the Yankees would have to do some major dealing to make it happen, meaning superior talent at a reduced rate (probably take on some of the player's salary who they trade.) And those players would have to have some future value as well. Basically, sure anything can happen, but the likelihood that Buerhle is their guy is unlikely. The other guys mentioned, Washburn and Perez are more likely.

MRKARNO
02-16-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
Don't blame Gammons for suggesting Buehrle here. The Yanks need a topnotch lefty starter, and Buehrle qualifies. And we all know that the Sox would sell Buehrle if the price was right.

The yanks have no minor leaguers worth trading for and while they have a lot of talent worth trading on their major league roster, the sox would never be willing to pay any of those players the amount of money they're making now.

Kuzman
02-16-2004, 01:06 PM
i donno, if the sox arent doing that well towards the trade deadline, i can see burehle gettin the boot to the yanks if the price is right, even though he did just sign that contract.

CubKilla
02-16-2004, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
And those players would have to have some future value as well.

Don't worry about that. JR isn't taking on any of those NYY contracts so, if MB is dealt to the Yankees, he'll be dealt for minor league talent.

:KW

"I'll have a press conference telling all you Sox fans of the future's we think these A prospects have in MLB if I jetison MB to the Yankees."

steff
02-16-2004, 01:09 PM
The yanks have no minor leaguers worth trading for and while they have a lot of talent worth trading on their major league roster, the sox would never be willing to pay any of those players the amount of money they're making now.

They have $$....

A. Cavatica
02-16-2004, 01:12 PM
Perez and Washburn are the guys whose names are out there, sure. But Cashman knows that just about any player he wants is available to him, with his unlimited budget.

Buehrle would be interesting to the Yankees for his talent & makeup, and the Sox *will* deal him before it's time to negotiate his next contract extension, unless JR has sold the team by then.

It's fair to ask "what do the Yankees have that would interest us?" but the answer is CASH. Plus they could go and get players to swap.

SEALgep
02-16-2004, 01:16 PM
Don't worry about that. JR isn't taking on any of those NYY contracts so, if MB is dealt to the Yankees, he'll be dealt for minor league talent.

:KW

"I'll have a press conference telling all you Sox fans of the future's we think these A prospects have in MLB if I jetison MB to the Yankees." The problem for the Yanks is that they have no minor league talent, or at least it is very limited. Steff mentioned money, and that always can get people thinking. But my point is that they can another lefty somewhere with good talent at a cheaper rate than they could get from the Sox for Buerhle. It's possible, but even though the Yanks seem to have unlimited money, if they can get a talented lefty for a reduced price somewhere else, they will. Besides, they seem content going into the season as is from a starting pitching standpoint, but maybe would add as the season progressed if they felt a need. I still believe with that being the case, that Perez and Washburn are better options for them.

MRKARNO
02-16-2004, 01:27 PM
I dont think you all get it. The Sox aren't just going to sell Buehrle to the yanks under any condition. You think the White Sox fan base has eroded to where it is now? What do you think selling Buehrle to the Yanks would do to the fan base?

The Sox are not going to give up Buehrle unless they can get some highly rated prospects in return or an equal amount of talent in another form. The Yankees just dont have anything that would interest the sox.

steff
02-16-2004, 01:28 PM
Unfortunately I think the Sox would do whatever they can to further alienate the fans. They do things their way and if they want to give away Frank, Maggs, Mark, or whoever else.. they'll do it and damn the fans.

CubKilla
02-16-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by steff
Unfortunately I think the Sox would do whatever they can to further alienate the fans. They do things their way and if they want to give away Frank, Maggs, Mark, or whoever else.. they'll do it and damn the fans.

:reinsy

"What's more important to me..... money or the fans?"

SEALgep
02-16-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by steff
Unfortunately I think the Sox would do whatever they can to further alienate the fans. They do things their way and if they want to give away Frank, Maggs, Mark, or whoever else.. they'll do it and damn the fans. Whether we agree with moves made by JR or not, he certainly would want to make money on the Sox. To purposely alienate fans is just bad business.

steff
02-16-2004, 01:35 PM
Whether we agree with moves made by JR or not, he certainly would want to make money on the Sox. To purposely alienate fans is just bad business.

Which he's been doing, without regret, for the past decade.

CubKilla
02-16-2004, 01:36 PM
Whether we agree with moves made by JR or not, he certainly would want to make money on the Sox. To purposely alienate fans is just bad business.

JR's making money. If he's losing money and not offering the team up for sale, he isn't half the businessman people here give him credit for.

JR's been alienating fans, more and more every year, for 20 years now.

Dadawg_77
02-16-2004, 02:14 PM
Bad trade- it certainly didn't work out, but he made it because he valued pitching, not inspite of it.

yeah but does he know how to evaluate pitching talent?

Dadawg_77
02-16-2004, 02:18 PM
One thing is Buehrle production has gone down each of the past two years. Is this a trend or Mark moving to the mean or just a fluke? The answer of that question would/should effect whether or not the Sox would trade Buehrle.

ChiSox14305635
02-16-2004, 02:28 PM
:boston

"Haven't you people realized by now that you and the other 27 teams are merely farm systems for the BoSox and Yankees?"

Kuzman
02-16-2004, 02:32 PM
Buerhle's numbers were bad last year becuase of that awesome slump he promptly went into at the beginning of last season, he had a pretty damn good second half. lets atleast HOPE that will continue into this season of horrors

rahulsekhar
02-16-2004, 03:11 PM
JR's making money. If he's losing money and not offering the team up for sale, he isn't half the businessman people here give him credit for.

JR's been alienating fans, more and more every year, for 20 years now.

I doubt he's losing money, but I would suspect that he's close to breaking even, or maybe pocketing a few mil early that they can use if/when they make midseason acquisitions.

alohafri
02-16-2004, 06:14 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by CubKilla
[B]Don't worry about that. JR isn't taking on any of those NYY contracts so, if MB is dealt to the Yankees, he'll be dealt for minor league talent.

You better believe that these knuckleheads wouldn't get anyone close to Alfonso Soriano for MB!

doctor30th
02-16-2004, 10:32 PM
Mark Buerhle's contract is way too good. They would not trade a contract like that away. Especially if they were getting rid of salary to "start" rebuilding. Now Loiaza could be sent off because he is only signed through this year, but he would be traded only if the sox were bad by July.

If the sox stink by July, Buerhle will stay, Koch, Konerko, Maggs, Thomas, Valentin, and Loaiza (and possibly Singo) would be the ones delt.

Lip Man 1
02-16-2004, 11:55 PM
I don't think Mark will go anyplace this year but maybe next year because his contract is backloaded in the final year of the deal.

But to play devil's advocate, who would bring the Sox the most in return? How about a young left hander, with a winning record locked into a three year deal at a very resonable price for most of the clubs in baseball.

Lip