PDA

View Full Version : Score or ESPN1000

nasox
02-16-2004, 02:38 AM
I dunno how relevant this is to the clubhouse (feel free to move it voodoo) but as a result of one of the threads here (how JR could piss off AM 1000), I was wondering who likes which sports radio station, and why? I guess I might as well throw in 890, although I doubt anybody listens to that....you never know....

Personally I'd listen to ESPN RADIO 1000 over the Score any day and this isn't just because they broadcast Sox games. I'd like to hear what everybody has to say.

Palehose13
02-16-2004, 10:14 AM
I listen to the Score mostly because I want to hear Chicago sports radio and not the national shows. However, I do usually switch to Mac, Jurko, and Harry when they start at 3. I want SPORTS radio, not NORTH radio.

poorme
02-16-2004, 10:17 AM
Buffone and OBradovich do a great job on the Bears post-game.

kittle42
02-16-2004, 10:39 AM
Despite the constant Score-bashing in these parts, I am and have been an avid listener since the station's inception. However, I do listen to 1000 during the afternoons/early evening because I always liked McNeil and Mike North...well, comments about North's "talent" go without saying.

34 Inch Stick
02-16-2004, 10:47 AM
Howard Stern in the mornings with the SCORE during commercials. I work during the day. McNeil over North in the afternoons although I listen to both. The SCORE the rest of the night.

On the weekends I really like Scott Wetzel on Sporting News Radio 820. They also have a very good gameday show during the afternoons of football season. When Coppock goes on I turn off.

doublem23
02-16-2004, 10:58 AM
The only reason I listen to ESPN any more is for White Sox games... I used to listen to it occasionally, however, when I am in Chicago I now refuse to listen to 1000 until they get rid of Mariotti.

SSN721
02-16-2004, 11:07 AM
To me a no brainer, the only people i like on the score, Tommy Williams, and the guy who occassionally cohosts with North when Buffone isnt there, have such very small roles. The rest of the talent on that station repulses me. I listen to ESPN online at work til I leave between 3-5 and listen to MacNeil, Jerko and Harry going home. I am sad to see TK going and am glad I can still hear him online even though he got kicked off of espn1000, And Dan Patrick and Dibble I think are very hilarious. Mike and Mike arent bad, although their morning antics can get rather childish and simple minded. But I like most of the national teams on ESPN and love the afternoon show. I just find the Score very irritating and annoying.

munchman33
02-16-2004, 11:12 AM
Tony K was the only reason for me to listen to ESPN radio outside of sox games. Now I'm score all the way.

chisoxfan79
02-16-2004, 11:55 AM
I use to listen to the score all of the time but the commercials seem like they are getting longer and Mike North is getting more annoying every day. They also pissed me off when they fired Dan Jiggets when him and Buffone were on that was my favorite show to listen too. Now l listen to AM 1000 all the time

WinningUgly!
02-16-2004, 12:04 PM
I listen to so little sports-talk radio that it doesn't really matter, but the Score comes in much better down here in the boonies, so they get the edge.

Palehose13
02-16-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by chisoxfan79
I use to listen to the score all of the time but the commercials seem like they are getting longer and Mike North is getting more annoying every day. They also pissed me off when they fired Dan Jiggets when him and Buffone were on that was my favorite show to listen too. Now l listen to AM 1000 all the time
Jiggs and Buffone were my favorite too. Now that Buffone is with North I realize how much I miss Jiggets.

ZachAL
02-16-2004, 12:31 PM
Although still faithful to the score, its lineup goes downhill every year. I miss the days with Share and Memellow(sp?) in the mornings...come to think of it though that had to be about 8 or 9 years ago now...wow

poorme
02-16-2004, 12:33 PM
Jiggets was a snoozefest. If I turn on the radio, I want to be entertained.

dan
02-16-2004, 12:40 PM
you cannot say that the score has anything on 1000. the score literally functions like a bar, with the hosts pretending to know anything about sports. They all come off as unintelligent and alcoholic and it never is worth my time to listen to any of them.

Dick Allen
02-16-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by chisoxfan79
I use to listen to the score all of the time but the commercials seem like they are getting longer and Mike North is getting more annoying every day. They also pissed me off when they fired Dan Jiggets when him and Buffone were on that was my favorite show to listen too. Now l listen to AM 1000 all the time I agree, I used to be an avid listener, but the commercials have gotten out of hand. I have e-mailed the station several times but figured it was useless anyway. I used to be a fan of North, but he has gotten more and more intolerable each passing year.

gogosoxgogo
02-16-2004, 01:00 PM
Without question, it has to be ESPN. The Score has no class. I never turn the dial to 670.

ChiSox14305635
02-16-2004, 02:33 PM
Boers is hillarious, Bernstein whines too much, North is a schmo and JHood is okay. I like Me & Z, but they hardly air their show anymore, and Julie Swieca is cool too. Over on ESPN 1000, Mac, Jurko and Harry are okay (unless they get into golf or NASCAR talk, then I have to change the dial) and Silvy and Carmen are good too.

patbooyah
02-16-2004, 02:40 PM
... listen to a station that employ jay mariotti. he is the most underrated blankity blank in chicago sports.

my loyalties, however, lie with wckg 105.9 in the afternoon. :cool:

Sad
02-16-2004, 02:45 PM
AM1000 w/ Mike & Mike in the morning

I tend to "roam" when "Better than Thou" Bernstein and Boers are on... these guys are just too condescending for me...

then back to The Score when I get home for North
(can't stomach those goofs on AM1000 in this time slot)
followed by J-Hood (I think Jonathon is their real talent)

Saturday mornings are also hilarious on WSCR with Baum & Rosenbloom!
these guys should get a primetime spot IMO...

ChiSox14305635
02-16-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Sad
AM1000 w/ Mike & Mike in the morning

I tend to "roam" when "Better than Thou" Bernstein and Boers are on... these guys are just too condescending for me...

then back to The Score when I get home for North
(can't stomach those goofs on AM1000 in this time slot)
followed by J-Hood (I think Jonathon is their real talent)

Saturday mornings are also hilarious on WSCR with Baum & Rosenbloom!
these guys should get a primetime spot IMO...

Rosenbloom is the Cubune's version of Mariotti. The only difference between him and Mariotti is that he isn't a member of the Sosa "Butt-Licking Society".

Over By There
02-16-2004, 03:23 PM
I used to be 100% Score, and thought I'd never switch. But I started listing to Mac Jurko & Harry and am now 100% ESPN1000.

I could do without Mariotti, and the Golic half of Mike & Mike is virtually worthless if you're not talking football, but otherwise I really like the ESPN1000 lineup.

TornLabrum
02-16-2004, 03:31 PM
I listen to Murph and Fred in the morning for the simple reason I prefer local sports coverage to a national focus. I ESPN-1000 had a viable local alternative in the morning, I'd probably switch in a heartbeat.

On the way home I listen to Mac, Jurko, and Harry until I get to about DeKalb where I can pick up Steve Dahl. Then I switch back to MJ&H during comemrcial breaks (which are interminable).

wdelaney72
02-16-2004, 03:59 PM
Back in the day, The Score was the best - Bear and the Bull, Monsters of the Midday, and the Heavy Fuel Crew. Ron Gleason destroyed that station when dramatically mixed-up the personalities and changed the time slots.

I've been listening to "Afternoon Thunder" since it's debut. I like Rob Dibble, but Dan Patrick is a snooze. Tony K sucks (I'm glad he's gone) and whoever posted that Mike & Mike gets too childish at times was right on. I especially can't stand Mr. New York Bob Picozzi. He always says "Es-tay-bahn" Loiza. Do your job and do a little research! It kills me every time I hear it. ESPN 1000 is obviously still as clueless as ever, since the gave Jay Mariotti show.

It's unfortunate, cause the Score has all local talent, but most of it is garbage. Boeers and Bernstein can be OK, but they get really childish, as well.

KingXerxes
02-16-2004, 05:22 PM
My rant:

I can't stand either station, and the only reason I listen to WMVP is due to the fact that they carry the White Sox games.

Here is my pet peeve about all the local clowns on both stations - Evidently it is now illegal to use adverbs on sports radio.

Bernstein: Well Boers, you really have to hand it to Jon Garland. He pitched really good yesterday.

Boers: I really like how quick he threw the ball........have I made a prepubescent sexual reference in the past thirty seconds?

Bernstein: No you haven't........I don't like Republicans or anybody else with the slightest religious affiliation.........didn't Big Frank hang in there on his last at bat tough ?

Boers: A lot of things hanging around today - if you know what I mean............."

Bernstein: Ha ha ha ha

Boers: (weird noises) By crackey (more weird noises)

Bernstein: I hate conservatives.

It's just bad,bad radio.

Grobber33
02-16-2004, 05:32 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by wdelaney72
[B]Back in the day, The Score was the best - Bear and the Bull, Monsters of the Midday, and the Heavy Fuel Crew. Ron Gleason destroyed that station when dramatically mixed-up the personalities and changed the time slots.

I agree with you that when the Score switched things around it was a mistake,but.....having been on the inside there-and still on overnights at the time,,,you are blaming the wrong person. Ron Gleason did not make those changes, the then GM Harvey Wells did. Harvey is also the guy who got me out of there,and BTW he is also the main reason Dan McNeil left the Score.
Since Ron was 'wacked' in March of 2001(I was gone 4 Months later courtesy of Wells)the Score's ratings have dropped and are now at an alltime low. I'm certainly not saying it's because I'm not there anymore, but as North so often says, 'I'm Not Saying, I'm Just Saying!'.
The Monsters and Heavey Fuel Crew should NEVER have been broken up!!! I was a Fan of both of those programs BEFORE I joined the Score in 1997.

joecrede
02-16-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
My rant:

I can't stand either station, and the only reason I listen to WMVP is due to the fact that they carry the White Sox games.

Here is my pet peeve about all the local clowns on both stations - Evidently it is now illegal to use adverbs on sports radio.

Bernstein: Well Boers, you really have to hand it to Jon Garland. He pitched really good yesterday.

Boers: I really like how quick he threw the ball........have I made a prepubescent sexual reference in the past thirty seconds?

Bernstein: No you haven't........I don't like Republicans or anybody else with the slightest religious affiliation.........didn't Big Frank hang in there on his last at bat tough ?

Boers: A lot of things hanging around today - if you know what I mean............."

Bernstein: Ha ha ha ha

Boers: (weird noises) By crackey (more weird noises)

Bernstein: I hate conservatives.

It's just bad,bad radio.

Bad radio indeed. It's like talking sports is beneath them.

KingXerxes
02-16-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by joecrede

At one point, I wondered why on earth anybody would ever call these shows. If you disagree with a position of a host, he'll slam you with the last word, and if you catch them in a moment of hypocrasy they counter with the immortal,

"I never said that. You don't listen."

even though you and everybody else in the listening audience know that he/she said it.

CHISOXFAN13
02-16-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by joecrede

You mean I'm the only one who enjoyed the two Yanni interviews during Super Bowl coverage???

Pure crap.

I love Mac, Jurko and Harry, and I agree with an earlier poster that said J. Hood might be the most listenable personality on WSCR.

I really can't stomach Swieca anymore.

Daver
02-16-2004, 06:00 PM
My new truck has a CD player.

Grobber33
02-16-2004, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Daver
My new truck has a CD player.

So does my OLD car,and the CD's get quite a workout these days Daver!!!

BlackSox
02-16-2004, 09:29 PM
<b>The Monsters and Heavey Fuel Crew should NEVER have been broken up!!!</b>

I couldn't agree more. Heavy Fuel was some great radio.

beckett21
02-16-2004, 09:52 PM
I've only been back in town for the past 5 years, and have been listening to 1000 almost exclusively. Once in awhile I turn on the SCORE, and it churns my stomach. Just too poisonous.

And this may be hypocritical given that last statement, but I am a closet Jim Rome fan whenever I get a chance to hear him...I know most people hate his guts but for some reason he just cracks me up. He has improved a lot the second time around. I do like Mac Jurko and Harry also.

Dub25
02-16-2004, 10:08 PM
I listen to the score to hear Rusty from Stickney.