PDA

View Full Version : Most Amazing Thing About The A-Rod Deal is ...

joecrede
02-15-2004, 09:48 PM
When all is said and done with the cash going to the Yankees, the Rangers will have paid A-Rod $140,000,000 for 3 years.

SEALgep
02-15-2004, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
When all is said and done with the cash going to the Yankees, the Rangers will have paid A-Rod $140,000,000 for 3 years. I heard Maggs is using it as a starting point for negotiations.

mdep524
02-15-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
I heard Maggs is using it as a starting point for negotiations.

LOL :D:

:maggs
I told you the market is on an up swing!

RichFitztightly
02-15-2004, 11:15 PM
That money total is impressive. I still think the most impressive thing is that New York got the best player to ever play short stop (arguably) and then got him to change positions. Seriously, do you think anybody else would have been able to pull it off. Do you think Boston could have kept Nomar and A-Rod in the infield. No Way, A-Rod would have told them to get bent. That's what sickens me most about this whole thing. I can't believe they have the balls to do that.

beckett21
02-15-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by RichFitztightly
That money total is impressive. I still think the most impressive thing is that New York got the best player to ever play short stop (arguably) and then got him to change positions. Seriously, do you think anybody else would have been able to pull it off. Do you think Boston could have kept Nomar and A-Rod in the infield. No Way, A-Rod would have told them to get bent. That's what sickens me most about this whole thing. I can't believe they have the balls to do that.

From what it sounds like, it was ARod's idea to move to third base in the first place. Who knows how it actually went down. What is more amazing to me is that he is only 2 homers shy of the all-time record for SS. If in fact it was his idea, that should lay to rest any concerns about him being greedy and selfish.

I don't know what he would have told Boston; that was an entirely different situation. I seem to think he would have done anything for a chance to go to a real contender, and I'd be willing to bet he would have done the same in Boston if the situation dictated it. We will never know, of course.

mdep524
02-16-2004, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by beckett21
From what it sounds like, it was ARod's idea to move to third base in the first place. Who knows how it actually went down. What is more amazing to me is that he is only 2 homers shy of the all-time record for SS. If in fact it was his idea, that should lay to rest any concerns about him being greedy and selfish.

I don't know about that- he's only 28 years old, I'm sure he'll get many more ABs as a SS in his career to hit 2 HRs to break that record. Though I agree he values being on a contender over a meaningless SS HR record, I would say anyone willing to cripple a team with a $252 million contract (and then jump ship when he realizes the team sucks) qualifies as "greedy and selfish." (and anyone who is stupid enough to agree to a $252 million contract, i.e. Tom Hicks, is at particular blame too)

Basically what burns me up the most about ARod going to the Yankees, besides the Yankees just doing whatever the hell they feel like, is this validates his decision to sign with Texas for more money in the first place- now he is having his cakes (the big contract) and eating it too. (playing on the Yankees) I guess I was hoping he would toil in mediocrity forever.

beckett21
02-16-2004, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by mdep524
I don't know about that- he's only 28 years old, I'm sure he'll get many more ABs as a SS in his career to hit 2 HRs to break that record. Though I agree he values being on a contender over a meaningless SS HR record, I would say anyone willing to cripple a team with a $252 million contract (and then jump ship when he realizes the team sucks) qualifies as "greedy and selfish." (and anyone who is stupid enough to agree to a $252 million contract, i.e. Tom Hicks, is at particular blame too)

Basically what burns me up the most about ARod going to the Yankees, besides the Yankees just doing whatever the hell they feel like, is this validates his decision to sign with Texas for more money in the first place- now he is having his cakes (the big contract) and eating it too. (playing on the Yankees) I guess I was hoping he would toil in mediocrity forever.

I'm not saying your opinion is wrong, and my statement may have been a little too generous to ARod. But I still can't blame the guy for getting as much as he could get. Hindsight being 20/20 it did cripple the team, and I guess that could have been predicted. But I lay all the blame on Hicks; he could have just said no, but he outbid himself by over $50 mil. by most accounts, if not more. That's the guy who I would like to see suffer the most--Hicks. I'm glad he has to eat as much of the contract as he does--he was just as greedy to get ARod in there, and it blew up in his face.

The saddest part is we are comparing multimillionaires and billionaires...I don't feel sorry for ANY of them! They are destroying the sport.

mdep524
02-16-2004, 12:39 AM
The saddest part is we are comparing multimillionaires and billionaires...I don't feel sorry for ANY of them! They are destroying the sport.

I think we can all agree on this. :(: :gulp:

doublem23
02-16-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by RichFitztightly

There's a difference between New York and Boston. One wins, the other doesn't.

doublem23
02-16-2004, 09:13 AM

What? Only the idiot billionaires are hurting baseball, which is unfortunate because there probably hasn't been this much talent in baseball ever.