PDA

View Full Version : Is Reed Ahead of Borchard?


Happy Felsch Fan
02-15-2004, 05:53 PM
I have never seen Reed hit but from what I have read, he has a sweet swing with bat control and a good eye.

When I see Borchard it looks like he has a big swing with alot of holes in it. It would seem that Reed would make more contact on a regular basis then Borchard would.

What does the board think?

Daver
02-15-2004, 06:12 PM
Your'e comparing two different types of hitters.

Reed has a good eye for the strike zone,and knows how to work a count,but he will probably never be much of a power hitter.He has also yet to face better than AA pitching.He does have a nice even swing though.

If you are basing your opinion on Borchard from last season,you are not seeing the entire thing,he battled wrist tendinitis through most of last season and it affected his swing.That being said,Borchard does not work the count as well,and has a habit of swinging at bad pitches,but he also gives you concourse power from both sides of the plate.

Happy Felsch Fan
02-15-2004, 06:18 PM
When I have seen Borchard it looks like he has a "long swing" and I understand he is a different type of hitter than reed. what type of hitter would benefit the sox at this point. a high OB guy or another slugger?

pearso66
02-15-2004, 06:57 PM
the high OBP would help us more since we have already 4 sluggers in the lineup, and yes I am including Konerko. But that being said, having Borchard in the lineup, if he can produce, wont hurt.

ondafarm
02-15-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Happy Felsch Fan
I have never seen Reed hit but from what I have read, he has a sweet swing with bat control and a good eye.

When I see Borchard it looks like he has a big swing with alot of holes in it. It would seem that Reed would make more contact on a regular basis then Borchard would.

What does the board think?

I've seen both hit and I think Reed's power might surprise. He's as close to a five-tool player as I have ever seen. Having said that Borchard is ahead of him and I think his swing is deceptive. He has such long limbs that his swing is going to look long regardless. He was clearly aching with wrist problems this past year and should be back with a vengance this year. I expect he'll be in the majors for most, if not all, of the season.

jeremyb1
02-15-2004, 07:36 PM
As far as the long term goes, its pretty clear that Reed is ahead of Borchard in the minds of the organization and baseball analysts. As far as which player is currently more prepared to compete for a major league job, it is somewhat debatable. Borchard has two years experience at AAA while Reed has only half a season at AA. However, Reed is coming off a season far more successful than Borchard has ever experienced so he seems to be on the fast track.

Happy Felsch Fan
02-15-2004, 07:59 PM
I want to see the lefty contact hitter who good plate judgement. The sox need more men on base. I am pulling for reed to make the team and get him in the lineup on a regular basis against right handed pitchers. Bat him first or second. Play him rf,lf,cf where ever. we need this guy to get on base.
If he hit .400 in the minors what else does he have to prove?

If Bourchard rebounds to look like the next coming of Mickey Mantle then say goodbye to Mags and take the best offer for more pitching or infield prospects. I think we are strongest in the organization for outfielders but don't have much in the infield.

Daver
02-15-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Happy Felsch Fan
I think we are strongest in the organization for outfielders but don't have much in the infield.

The system is strong on pitching,and weak at positional players in the upper levels,in the lower levels they are a lot more balanced.

SEALgep
02-15-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Happy Felsch Fan
I want to see the lefty contact hitter who good plate judgement. The sox need more men on base. I am pulling for reed to make the team and get him in the lineup on a regular basis against right handed pitchers. Bat him first or second. Play him rf,lf,cf where ever. we need this guy to get on base.
If he hit .400 in the minors what else does he have to prove?

He has to prove that he will be consistent, but there is no reason to believe that he won't show that. Patience at the plate along with a short, quick stroke more often than not translates to success at any level. However it still remains to be seen, but I expect good things from Reed in the future (maybe as early as next year.) He may make an appearance this year, but I doubt we'll see him for a long stint, unless a major injury takes place.

poorme
02-15-2004, 08:16 PM
I have a feeling Borchard will hit 30 homers some day. I don't know when or with what team, however. Unless, of course, he goes to the NFL first.

SEALgep
02-15-2004, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Daver
The system is strong on pitching,and weak at positional players in the upper levels,in the lower levels they are a lot more balanced. That's true, and they are trying to address that by drafting a lot more position players as they did this past draft. It may be too early to be overwhelmingly confident in this statement, but our future outfield looks to have a high ceiling. If Borchard can turn things around, Reed, and we have two draft picks from this year that look to have a lot of potential. Obviously things need to work out, but it is certainly possible to have a very strong outfield in the present and future.

Happy Felsch Fan
02-15-2004, 08:51 PM
It seems there there is a overabundance of players these days that hit the 30hrs but also have low OB with 150k's or more. I would like to see the Sox have a low KO bat in the lineup with alittle speed and a high OB percentage. With low OB bats like Harris, Uribe, and Olivio I am hoping we "rush" Reed and give him every opportunity this year unless Borchard cuts down on his high KO per bat ratio. We don't need to turn into the Brewers.