PDA

View Full Version : Which teams are headin to the playoffs?

Kuzman
02-15-2004, 05:02 PM
Figured id ask all you guys, me and a buddy of mine were discussing this and from all the off season moves ive decided this.

***American League***

West: Angels
with all the big name signings like Colon and Guerreo, the way Oaklands pitching has just vanished, and the way the Mariners seem to drop the ball in the thick of things

Central: White Sox
not being biased either, saying this becuase the Twins have dumped some of thier better hands that gave us hell, It is going to be close between them and the Royals

Now the next 2 could be easily swapped if this A-ROD trade does go through. I posted this before any offical news has been declared so dont jump down my neck :)

East: Red Sox
I honestly think what Boston is doing is going to give the yanks a major headache.. 3 of the yanks pitchers are gone and alot of new faces are coming in.. HOPEFULLY they flop

Wild Card: Yankees
Theyre not good enough to take the east but they are good enough to beat the west, and well i guess we wont add the central division in that mess becuase there will be no chance.

***National League***

West: Giants
Nothing will stop the Giants again this year, unless Bonds gets nailed for the juice. If this happens though they might have a big enough lead to coast into the playoffs.

Central: Astros
I AM BEING BIASED! screw the cubs with a 12" stolen dildo on a cucumber conveyer belt. Hopefully with Pettit and the Rocket down in Houston they will tear the cubbies apart.

East Marlins
Now this will be VERY close i believe between them and the Braves.
But with Maddux leaving it only really leaves Smoltz as the dominant pitching down in Atlanta. Its also time for a change i believe.

Wild Card: Cubs :angry:
I really dont see anyone else coming close to the strength in the central division.. Astros Cubs and the never quitting Cardinals it will be a great division to watch.. but sadly i dont see the cardinals beating the cubs nor the Astros

So ya this is my pre spring training prediction for the Big Dance at the end of the season.. What do you guys think?

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-15-2004, 05:53 PM
Pretty much the same except for the AL East. I think the Phillies will win that one with their revamped bullpen. They have a great rotation of Milwood, Wolf, Myers, Padilla and Milton. The offense is good too and will be better if Pat Burrell comes back to form.

lowesox
02-15-2004, 05:57 PM
AL EAST = Yanks
AL CENTRAL = Royals
AL WEST = Angels
AL WILDCARD = Red Sox

Falling just short: Blue Jays, Twins, A's

crector
02-15-2004, 06:50 PM
Predictions: American League:

East: New York (Assuming ARod trade goes through)
ARod proves the difference between the division pennant and the Wild Card.

Central: Minnesota (Assuming Ozzie proves my impression of him as the Hispanic Terry Bevington proves correct)

West: Seattle
The Mariners's pickup of Guardado and their strong minor league system comes through.

Wild Card: Baltimore
The Orioles's pickup of strong hitters combined with young pitching makes them the AL's surprise team.

AL Pennant: New York

National League:

East: Florida
Defending world champions still possesses strong core of young pitchers combined with such clutch hitters as Jeff Conine and Mike Lowell. Look for Philadelphia to burn out under wild man Bowa.

Central: Houston
Astros win 100+ games with Clemens and Pettite in the lead.

West: San Francisco

Wild Card: Atlanta

Surprise NL team: Pittsburgh. The Pirates have made a number of decent, underpublicized pickups such as Chris Singleton and reportedly Randall Simon. They went 50-48 during the last part of the 2003 season and if they can repeat that performance all season long, they could finish as high as 3rd place with the Cubs in 4th place. Remember, every year that the Cubs have made the playoffs, was followed by a losing season.

NL Pennant: Houston

World Series: Houston (Clemens signs multi-year contract after 2004 season, guaranteeing that the Cubs agony will endure)

chisoxmike
02-15-2004, 07:36 PM
My mind changes all the time for the upcoming season. :?:

AL East= Yankee$
AL Central= Royals :whiner:
AL West= Angles
AL WildCard= Red Sox

NL East= Philly
NL Central= Astros
NL West= Giants

NL WildCard= Cubs :whiner:

munchman33
02-15-2004, 08:24 PM
I completely agree, except I have Philly winning the NL East and the Marlins picking up the N.L. Wild Card.

Grobber33
02-15-2004, 09:11 PM
AL CENTRAL---Tigers
AL EAST---Devil Rays
AL WEST---Rangers
AL WILDCARD---Indians

NL CENTRAL---Brewers
NL EAST---Expos
NL WEST---Rockies
NL WILDCARD---Pirates

WORLD SERIES: Brewers over Tigers in an all-Mid-West World Series between two former Division rivals.

Baseball would deserve this crap and Bud would show how much of an expert he is(sic).

Donald Fehr and Gene Orza would toss out the first ball at each game of the Series,Albert Belle,& Terry Bevington would be Honorary Captains at the Allstar Game!! :angry: :angry: :angry:
:angry: ,

Daver
02-15-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Grobber33

Baseball would deserve this crap and Bud would show how much of an expert he is(sic).

Donald Fehr and Gene Orza would toss out the first ball at each game of the Series,Albert Belle,& Terry Bevington would be Honorary Captains at the Allstar Game!! :angry: :angry: :angry:
:angry: ,

Don't hold back Les,tell us how you really feel about Bud Selig.

:bandance:

Grobber33
02-15-2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Don't hold back Les,tell us how you really feel about Bud Selig.

:bandance:

I think I just did Daver! BTW this had nothing to do with Bud as a person,,he is actually a gentleman. As Commish things are a bit different IMO.

Kuzman
02-16-2004, 01:29 AM
looks like im gonna have to switch the red sox and yankees around :whiner:

i hate the yankees.

kempsted
02-16-2004, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by chisoxmike
My mind changes all the time for the upcoming season. :?:

AL East= Yankee$
AL Central= Royals :whiner:
AL West= Angles
AL WildCard= Red Sox

NL East= Philly
NL Central= Astros
NL West= Giants

NL WildCard= Cubs :whiner:

Looks OK but Wildcard Cubs? Your the second person to say that in this thread but get real. The NL Central is about as good as the AL Central - i.e. it sucks. The Cubs had the worst record of any playoff team last year including both Wild card teams. They even had a worse record than Seattle who didn't even make the playoffs. There is no way the Wildcard will come from either Central divisions.

MRKARNO
02-16-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by kempsted
Looks OK but Wildcard Cubs? Your the second person to say that in this thread but get real. The NL Central is about as good as the AL Central - i.e. it sucks. The Cubs had the worst record of any playoff team last year including both Wild card teams. They even had a worse record than Seattle who didn't even make the playoffs. There is no way the Wildcard will come from either Central divisions.

I dont know what offseason you were following, but after the Red Sox and Yankees, the two most improved teams this offseason were the Cubs and Astros, while most other teams seemingly got weaker. I wholeheartedly expect, as well as most baseball enthusiasts, to see the Wild Card come out of the NL Central. The AL Central will almost certainly not see the wild card while both the AL West or East could see it

kempsted
02-16-2004, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I dont know what offseason you were following, but after the Red Sox and Yankees, the two most improved teams this offseason were the Cubs and Astros, while most other teams seemingly got weaker. I wholeheartedly expect, as well as most baseball enthusiasts, to see the Wild Card come out of the NL Central. The AL Central will almost certainly not see the wild card while both the AL West or East could see it

The Yankees (other than the last few days) had a poor offseason BTW. They picked up Kenny Lofton - Sox fans no how good he is. They picked up Gordon who really wasn't that good last year and most likely will suck this year. Mr. DL himself Kevin Brown. Anyhow...

kempsted
02-17-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO

Most improved still doesn't push them over the top. The Cubs won two more games than the White Sox did last year - won more games then they should have by the Pythagorian formulas etc. They have a very questionable outfield with Alou getting old and playing a carrer number of games last year, letting Lofton go, Patterson still questionable and Sosa player most likely to be negatively impacted by steroid testing.

Infield - slight improvement with Lee instead of Karos, Choi, Simon but first base was hardly their weakness. THey picked up Walker which is a good move.

They brought in LeTroy Hawkins - a guy with a lifetime ERA over 5 who was a failed starter and failed closer but did well with one and only one pitching coach in his carrer.

They have 3 pitchers leading in pitcher abuse points - i.e. players who have pitched too much at too young and age and so are prime candidates for short careers and injuries. One of them Kerry Wood has been on the DL almost every year of his career. Count on it this year.

The Cubs won 88 in 2001 as well and won 67 the next year.

Kuzman
02-17-2004, 12:13 AM
The Cubs won 88 in 2001 as well and won 67 the next year.

ya but they didnt have Dusty Baker then, that guy is good.

doctor30th
02-17-2004, 12:17 AM
I would bet the yankees are going to make them. Except the odds have probably become 1-1 now.

ma-gaga
02-17-2004, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by kempsted

They brought in LeTroy Hawkins - a guy with a lifetime ERA over 5 who was a failed starter and failed closer but did well with one and only one pitching coach in his carrer.

The rest of your stuff is right on. But I hear this crap every once in a while, and I'm calling you on it. LaTroy Hawkins in the last two years has dominated in relief pitching like very few others have EVER dominated this game. Obviously his ERA from 1995 has a lot of bearing on how he's going to perform this year. :?:

Get over it, he's a stud middle relief pitcher that's finally figured out the game. He's never again going to pitch 150 innings, I don't understand why numbers for him as a rookie 7-8 years ago have any bearing on the type of pitcher he is today.

He's going to be a very good pitcher for 80 innings this year. No more, no less.