PDA

View Full Version : Sox get Soriano?

soltrain21
02-15-2004, 10:18 AM
The Rangers really do not need another second basemen since they have Young. Do you think the Sox could try and make a deal to get Alfonso? The Rangers seem pretty stupid, even stupider than the Sox...so it could happen.

I think Alfonso would look great in a Sox uniform...40/40 second basemen? Where do I sign up?

Or the Sox could go for the lesser guy and try and get Young..

guillen4life13
02-15-2004, 10:23 AM
I'd be in favor of getting either of them, but that's only if the Sox don't give up too much. Young may be the better alternative in a way, because the Sox don't need another 40 HR guy-- they need a guy who can Sac bunt, sac fly, etc.

But Soriano would be a good leadoff alternative, so I don't know.

fquaye149
02-15-2004, 10:24 AM
soriano's making 6 million, my friend told me. can anyone confirm or deny this?

beckett21
02-15-2004, 10:26 AM
Yeah, it would be great to get Soriano...for a year. I believe he becomes an unrestricted free agent after this season...in which case hasta la bye-bye...

Texas will probably just move Young over to SS, I believe he can play there.

But either one would be an upgrade over what we look to have now.

beckett21
02-15-2004, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by fquaye149
soriano's making 6 million, my friend told me. can anyone confirm or deny this?

I believe the figure is 5.4 million.

Deadguy
02-15-2004, 10:27 AM
Soriano is making 5.4 million this season, and isn't eligible for FA until 2006.

Jerry_Manuel
02-15-2004, 10:28 AM
Talk I heard on espn says that Soriano will play CF.

PINWHEELS
02-15-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Deadguy
Soriano is making 5.4 million this season, and isn't eligible for FA until 2006. How about Soriano (5.6 mil) for Valentin (5 mil) What do you think!

beckett21
02-15-2004, 10:35 AM
Soriano is making 5.4 million this season, and isn't eligible for FA until 2006.

Thank you, I couldn't remember when Soriano was eligible for FA. I guess if we got a couple good years out of him it would be nice. It's not happening though.

beckett21
02-15-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by PINWHEELS
How about Soriano (5.6 mil) for Valentin (5 mil) What do you think!

yeah it's a joke relatively speaking, but the Yanks had Soriano by the short ones. He will get his money when his time comes...Valentin is most likely maxed out.

SoxxoS
02-15-2004, 11:25 AM
If we picked up a Soriano and a decent starter, we would look good.

CubKilla
02-15-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS

Shouldn't that have been in pipedream pink? :D:

ondafarm
02-15-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by soltrain21
The Rangers really do not need another second basemen since they have Young. Do you think the Sox could try and make a deal to get Alfonso? The Rangers seem pretty stupid, even stupider than the Sox...so it could happen.

I think Alfonso would look great in a Sox uniform...40/40 second basemen? Where do I sign up?..

This deal sounds hideous for the Rangers and would be terrible for the Sox. Soriano is a black hole on defense and the Sox have precious little up the middle defense to begin with. Soriano also looses 50 pts off his OBP and his SLG when he plays in a Questec park. Expect him to loose more than that when he doesn't have the word 'Yankee' attached to him. In a Sox uniform, he'd be lucky to be a 20/20 guy and I'd plain old rather have Harris.

Deadguy
02-15-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS

Reading this reminds me of the Corrosion of Conformity song, "Nothing's Gonna Change".

Grobber33
02-15-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by PINWHEELS
How about Soriano (5.6 mil) for Valentin (5 mil) What do you think!

The Rangers have proven to be a bunch of Dumb ----s!! But are they really that -----n Dumb?

mdep524
02-15-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by soltrain21

I think Alfonso would look great in a Sox uniform...40/40 second basemen? Where do I sign up?

Or the Sox could go for the lesser guy and try and get Young..

My first thought when I heard about all this ARod stuff was that maybe the Sox could make a trade for Young. But that seems really unlikely. Either Soriano will play 2B and Young will play SS or Soriano will play CF and Young will play 2B. Either way, it doesn't look like Young will be expendible.

Lip Man 1
02-15-2004, 12:31 PM
Soriano is going to center. Eric Young plays 2b, Michael Young moves to short.

Lip

SEALgep
02-15-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Soriano is going to center. Eric Young plays 2b, Michael Young moves to short.

Lip It's not for sure, but that makes the most sense and will probably work out that way. Soriano will probably prove to be a better CF anyway, in my opinion.

Wsoxmike59
02-15-2004, 02:34 PM
I can't believe that the Yankees are so stupid that they would take on two high priced Shortstops. Mark my words, this will not sit well with Derek Jeter. He will be playing the position with one eye looking over his shoulder.

The Yankees could've used Jose Valentin as a stop gap measure at 3B for one season until Boone gets back, and not put themselves on the hook for over $117M.

Soriano would've looked good in a Sox uniform too, but I fear he would've cost too much. We don't have much left to trade.

hftrex
02-15-2004, 02:45 PM

Why not try trading Koch off to Texas for Soriano? Their contracts are about the same and the Rangers GM is so stupid, he'd probably go for it.

Kuzman
02-15-2004, 03:29 PM
Ya but if he were to come he probably wouldnt do as well as expected, just like everyone else Kenny Williams has brought in. Wells, Lofton, Koch.. then the ones that do decent they let go.

lowesox
02-15-2004, 03:53 PM
If I'm Kenny Williams right now, I'd call up Maggs and say we want to sign him to an extention and set a deadline within the next month. Then, if it looks like Maggs isn't coming back start a bidding war.

Other teams are going to try to keep up - and the sox have a lot of talent to pawn off.

Soxfest
02-15-2004, 05:00 PM
I love AS he would be great at 2b for the Sox, would be a great move.