PDA

View Full Version : I dont see NY a lock yet

oldcomiskey
02-15-2004, 09:31 AM
now if Leiber comes back from injury----who else is left in that staff. Kevin Brown is very injury prone--Vasquez is a keeper but hes the only one I can think of thats there--didnt we learn the same lesson in 2000

beckett21
02-15-2004, 09:55 AM
They still have Mussina. And the wherewithall to get anyone they need at any time. They may not be a lock, but they will be awfully good.

hold2dibber
02-15-2004, 10:08 AM
They replaced Clemens and Petitte with Brown and Vazquez, which is an upgrade, IMHO. Clemens and Petitte are fine pitchers, but Brown and Vazquez are a step up. That, of course, assumes that Brown can stay healthy. If Contreras goes to Texas, they'd be a little thin at the back of the rotation, though. Leiber would be important for them. I'm not even sure who their no. 5 would be.

Deadguy
02-15-2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
now if Leiber comes back from injury----who else is left in that staff. Kevin Brown is very injury prone--Vasquez is a keeper but hes the only one I can think of thats there--didnt we learn the same lesson in 2000

Please don't compare "The Kids Can Play Part II", to the 2004 New York Yankees. That's just silly.

poorme
02-15-2004, 10:19 AM
Contreras isn't part of the A-Rod deal, and he looked great towards the end of the year.

Mussina
Vasquez
Brown
Contreras
Leiber

Not too shabby. Way better than ours.

beckett21
02-15-2004, 10:29 AM
Of course this would only be speculation on my part, but is it all that far fetched that the Yanks now go make a run at Maddux? Why stop now? He would be a nice replacement for Contreras, don't you think? That is if they trade Contreras. They will need somebody, so why wouldn't they even try???

hold2dibber
02-15-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by poorme
Contreras isn't part of the A-Rod deal, and he looked great towards the end of the year.

According to the New York Post (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1735449) , he is:

"The Rangers and Yankees have agreed to the framework of a deal that would send the 28-year-old AL MVP, and much of the $179 million remaining on his landmark $252 million contract to New York for Soriano and a player to be named. The New York Post reported that the Yankees would likely have to give up Jose Contreras as well as minor-league catcher Dioner Navarro in such a trade."

MRKARNO
02-15-2004, 01:03 PM
THe yankees lose a lot with Pettite, who was perfect last year after a Yankees' loss. He was their losing streak stopper and a big reason why they didnt go into many prolonged slumps. I think the yankees lose a lot by losing the Andy Pettite factor. hopefully the Astros will gain this factor

oldcomiskey
02-15-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Deadguy
Please don't compare "The Kids Can Play Part II", to the 2004 New York Yankees. That's just silly.

you missed my point--my point is without pitching you aint got nothing

beckett21
02-15-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
you missed my point--my point is without pitching you aint got nothing

Your point is a good one, but I think the Yankees have more pitching than you think. I answered this in another thread so forgive the repetiton. They have Mike Mussina--legitimate #1; Kevin Brown--yes a health risk, but healthy last year and another legitimate #1; Javier Vazquez--just approaching his prime, capable of being a #1; Lieber--who knows. Contreras--another ?--may or may not go to Texas.

Bottom line, their top 3 matches up well with almost anybody--I would give Boston a slight edge, and they have a little more depth at 4/5. But overall the Yankees are not in as bad a shape pitching-wise as people are making them out to be. Besides George will get anyone he needs. True that is speculation, but he proves it year after year...and he wants to win NOW. And their bullpen is still fantastic. Do they have question marks? Sure, but nobody is 5 deep except maybe Oakland. The Yankees will be quite good indeed.

RedPinStripes
02-15-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by poorme

Mussina
Vasquez
Brown
Contreras
Leiber

Not too shabby. Way better than ours.

That rotation is dusgusting ! The real reason i hate the Yankees is envy.

nasox
02-16-2004, 01:43 AM
The Yankees could *gasp* CHOKE. I mean, we were better on paper for at least three years now than our division rivals but we haven't done squat. Maybe there would be a clubhouse issue, or tons of injuries. My point is, is that there is a certain number of intagibles that neither man nor machine can predict.
*sigh* I can't wait till 2006 and baseball finally heals itself (hopefully, like the NHL hopefully will do next year) I'm just going to tell myself that its a bubble and it will have to burst sometime.

Frater Perdurabo
02-16-2004, 10:00 AM
I think the Yankees will implode this year. Just a hunch. I have no statistical or anecdotal evidence to back it up.

doublem23
02-16-2004, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by beckett21
Of course this would only be speculation on my part, but is it all that far fetched that the Yanks now go make a run at Maddux? Why stop now? He would be a nice replacement for Contreras, don't you think? That is if they trade Contreras. They will need somebody, so why wouldn't they even try???

I guarantee the Yankees could offer him $50 million a year and Maddux wouldn't go to the AL... He needs 11 wins to 300 and his tank is almost on empty. And he knows it.

rmusacch
02-16-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
According to the New York Post (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1735449) , he is:

"The Rangers and Yankees have agreed to the framework of a deal that would send the 28-year-old AL MVP, and much of the $179 million remaining on his landmark $252 million contract to New York for Soriano and a player to be named. The New York Post reported that the Yankees would likely have to give up Jose Contreras as well as minor-league catcher Dioner Navarro in such a trade."

I think it is now just A-Rod for Soriano and a minor league pitcher, Sean Henn.

CubKilla
02-16-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by nasox
The Yankees could *gasp* CHOKE. I mean, we were better on paper for at least three years now than our division rivals but we haven't done squat. Maybe there would be a clubhouse issue, or tons of injuries. My point is, is that there is a certain number of intagibles that neither man nor machine can predict.
*sigh* I can't wait till 2006 and baseball finally heals itself (hopefully, like the NHL hopefully will do next year) I'm just going to tell myself that its a bubble and it will have to burst sometime.

The White Sox of the past 3 seasons don't have half the talent on paper that the '04 Yankees might have with the addition of PayRod.

beckett21
02-16-2004, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
I guarantee the Yankees could offer him $50 million a year and Maddux wouldn't go to the AL... He needs 11 wins to 300 and his tank is almost on empty. And he knows it.

So essentially you are saying Maddux wouldn't think he could win 11 games with the Yankees this season? I think I could win 11 games for the Yankees this season. I am assuming you are exaggerating a bit...I have a feeling for 50 mil he would jump :D:

Looks to be a moot point anyway since there has been no talk of the Yankees having any interest, but I think that Greg would have to consider the Yanks an exception if in fact they made a serious run at him.