PDA

View Full Version : Does the A-Rod trade create a chance for Sox to make move?

gosox41
02-15-2004, 08:50 AM
This A-Rod trade may wind up helping the White Sox out. Surely Red Sox are pissed their rivals got the best player in the league when they were really close to getting him first.

Maybe this will force the Red Sox into making a move and the White Sox could take advantage of it if the right players are involved.

The White Sox should offer Magglio and get Damon (Nixon would be the ideal but not likely) and Williamson in return. They should also get a top prospect thrown in there too. Unfortunately I don't know much about the Red Sox farm system to know if they even have any Grade A top prospects. Does anyone have any info?

Anyway, this will give the Sox a CF and a lead off hitter. Move Rowand to right...for now. If Borchard has a good spring, I'd make Borchard the starting RF'er taking my chances that he won't be worse then Rowand. If and when Reed is ready, he's also best suited for a corner OF position.

From the Red Sox POV they get a highly coveted player. They can move Nixon to CF, Ramirez to LF and Magglio in right. Not a bad OF at all.

Of couse this is contingent on the Sox getting more then the 2 players from above. The White Sox are in the drivers seat here. If nothing happens, no big deal.

Lastly, this trade is much better then any Thomas-Perez rumors I've been sickened by lately.

Bob

TornLabrum
02-15-2004, 09:23 AM
In answer to the question posed by the subject line: Only if it involves dumping about $6 million in salary.

poorme
02-15-2004, 10:09 AM
Yeah, I was thinking about that, but I don't see anything happening..

hold2dibber
02-15-2004, 10:12 AM
Can Nixon play CF? I can't see it. Anyway, I'm not sure Williamson, Damon and a prospect would be enough to trade Maggs. Williamson is a FA at the end of next year and although Damon is signed for a few more years, he makes a lot of money (IIRC, about $9 mm/year for 2 or 3 more years) and although he's pretty good, he isn't great. And it wouldn't solve the Sox' greatest need, which is starting pitching, IMHO.

MRKARNO
02-15-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Williamson is a FA at the end of next year

Which is not unlike the player that we would be trading. We're not gonna get full value for Maggs when he has only 1 year left and is asking for 15 mil a year when vlad only got 13.

RichFitztightly
02-15-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
The White Sox should offer Magglio and get Damon (Nixon would be the ideal but not likely) and Williamson in return. They should also get a top prospect thrown in there too. Unfortunately I don't know much about the Red Sox farm system to know if they even have any Grade A top prospects. Does anyone have any info?

I"m pretty sure Boston has a decent prospect at Short Stop in Aaron Capista. I played against him in high school when he played for Joliet Catholic. He was really good. I talked with him a couple of years ago and he made the minor league All-Star team for whatever level he was at. Unfortunately, I haven't paid much attention to what he's been up to lately, so I don't know if he's still a decent prospect. Could be an option in freeing up a Nomar.

Rex Hudler
02-15-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by RichFitztightly
I"m pretty sure Boston has a decent prospect at Short Stop in Aaron Capista. I played against him in high school when he played for Joliet Catholic. He was really good. I talked with him a couple of years ago and he made the minor league All-Star team for whatever level he was at. Unfortunately, I haven't paid much attention to what he's been up to lately, so I don't know if he's still a decent prospect. Could be an option in freeing up a Nomar.

I couldn't find anyone by that last name in all of professional baseball, including the Independent Leagues. Are you sure that is the right spelling? I looked at all the Red Sox affiliates and he is nowhere to be found in their organization. Even by a different spelling.

chisox06
02-15-2004, 11:08 PM
that trade would be fine other than the fact the chisox need pitching! I'm willing to finally give Aroad a chance in CF this year and see what he can do. I like our outfield, pitching is where we need help the most. If Maggs can bring in 2-3 quality pitchers by all means trade him.

RichFitztightly
02-15-2004, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Rex Hudler
I couldn't find anyone by that last name in all of professional baseball, including the Independent Leagues. Are you sure that is the right spelling? I looked at all the Red Sox affiliates and he is nowhere to be found in their organization. Even by a different spelling.

Yeah that's the correct spelling. When I actually thought about it, the last time I talked to him was 2001 at the latest. Three years ago. Jeez, it didn't seem that long ago at first. I googled his name, and the best I could come up with is that he last played for the Trenton Thunder in 2002. Then he was put on the in-active list. I couldn't get anymore details other than that. I could ask our mutual friend if he has any info, but as far as I can tell, he isn't a viable player anymore.

TheRockinMT
02-16-2004, 12:15 AM
There is no way the Sox will enter into another trade talk with the Bosox. It is to late in the hot stove now and there are no other options out there. Possibly a Dodgers trade, but I think that is also to late.

Kuzman
02-16-2004, 12:50 AM
No way. Reinsdorf is afraid to spend his money.

Coward.

SEALgep
02-16-2004, 01:22 AM
It doesn't make sense to trade Maggs to Boston for either team. We would require Nomar, and they have no need to screw any hope to a long term deal with Nomar, now that A-Rod is locked up as a Yankee forever. We're better off making a run at the division with Maggs and seeing what we can sign him for next year. If he walks, he walks. The money can be used to explore a number of high quality FA, both position players as well as pithers. One of those players being Beltran who the Royals are more than likely going to lose.