PDA

View Full Version : Yankees unstoppable

MHOUSE
02-15-2004, 12:28 AM
If this A-Rod for Soriano deal goes through then the Yankees are winning the World Series. Their lineup, rotation, and bullpen are all incredibly strong. Holy crap! The only possible holes I see are 2nd base and the 4-5 spots in the rotation.

Lineup:
Lofton CF
Jeter SS
A-Rod 3B
Sheffield RF
Giambi 1B
Matsui LF
Posada C
Williams DH
second baseman?

Rotation:
Mussina
Vasquez
Brown
Conteras
Lieber

Bullpen:
Heredia
White
Quantrill
Karsay
Flash
Rivera

MRKARNO
02-15-2004, 12:30 AM
They are plenty stoppable. Their Rotation is questionable 2-5. Only one of those pitchers has pitched a full year with NYY and thats mussina. The rest are injury prone (brown), have question marks (Lieber) or might not be as good because they dont have a good defense behind them (Vazquez, Brown). And for a left handed pitchers' park they sure dont have a lot of lefty starters (0)

fquaye149
02-15-2004, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
If this A-Rod for Soriano deal goes through then the Yankees are winning the World Series. Their lineup, rotation, and bullpen are all incredibly strong. Holy crap! The only possible holes I see are 2nd base and the 4-5 spots in the rotation.

Lineup:
Lofton CF
Jeter SS
A-Rod 3B
Sheffield RF
Giambi 1B
Matsui LF
Posada C
Williams DH
second baseman?

Rotation:
Mussina
Vasquez
Brown
Conteras
Lieber

Bullpen:
Heredia
White
Quantrill
Karsay
Flash
Rivera

i also like how they have probably the best ss of our generation playing 3b, a position that is not a guaranteed transition from ss...and they have an average to barely above average fielding ss playing over him....

i think that might cause a few rifts in the locker room.

MHOUSE
02-16-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by fquaye149
i also like how they have probably the best ss of our generation playing 3b, a position that is not a guaranteed transition from ss...and they have an average to barely above average fielding ss playing over him....

i think that might cause a few rifts in the locker room.

Their downfall could be that they're just too good on paper and won't live up to the expectations. If things go badly at the start then all these clubhouse personalities will let fly and they just might go down in flames as one of the most expensive flops ever. Or they might gel wonderfully and break every team offensive record ever. When you can put Posada, Williams, and Matsui in the bottom part of the order then you're in good shape.

Brian26
02-16-2004, 11:43 AM
On paper, they look unstoppable. Maybe the most potent offensive attack of our generation.

Should be interesting to see what happens. I wouldn't be suprised to see Cashman go out and try to get a second baseman before the start of the season too.

mantis1212
02-16-2004, 11:54 AM
I honestly do not think they are that much improved. The ARod trade cost them Soriano's 38HR and .290 average, plus 35 stolen bases.
Their rotation lost Pettite and Clemens, gained Brown and Vazquez. Is this an improvement? I don't think so, especially with the chances that Brown spends a third of the season on the DL

Hangar18
02-16-2004, 12:00 PM
What gets me .......is the Yankees suddenly found themselves
with HOLES TO FILL in their lineup. They knew they could do
1 of 2 things.

1. Do nothing and simply hope "Luck" helps you win the series

or

2. Go out and Fill your Holes with the Best Possible Players.

The White Sox went with Door #1. The Yankees with #2.

The Yankees have won the World Series 26 Times with that kind of thinking. The Yankees have been to the WS 4 of the last 6 yrs from 98 til now. The WHite Sox HAVNT been to the
World Series since 1959. So tell me Mr Reinsdorf....
Which team ideology works Best?

rdivaldi
02-16-2004, 12:04 PM
The Yankees have won the World Series 26 Times with that kind of thinking. The Yankees have been to the WS 4 of the last 6 yrs from 98 til now. The WHite Sox HAVNT been to the World Series since 1959. So tell me Mr Reinsdorf....
Which team ideology works Best?

The team that gets $100+ million in local media revenues.

Please don't sink so low as to compare our financial situation to the Yankees' and then complain about JR's cheapness...

rdivaldi
02-16-2004, 12:06 PM
Secondly, the Yankees are not even the best team in their division. I still would take the Red Sox over them. Pitching wins championships, the Yankees' is held together by a thread.

OneDog
02-16-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by rdivaldi
Secondly, the Yankees are not even the best team in their division. I still would take the Red Sox over them. Pitching wins championships, the Yankees' is held together by a thread.

Good point. Also, people have been handing the World Series to the Yankees in February each year since 2001, and they have not gone all the way since 2000. There's 162 games left in 2004. Anything can happen.

doublem23
02-16-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
On paper, they look unstoppable. Maybe the most potent offensive attack of our generation.

They don't look good enough to edge the late-90s Indians. That was a run of ridiculousness that I don't think will be eclipsed in my lifetime.

Blueprint1
02-16-2004, 10:38 PM
so saying the red sox are the best team in the division means that Pedro isnt going to get hurt again this season right. When was the last time this guy pitched a whole season anyway?

Kuzman
02-16-2004, 11:03 PM
hey does anyone know kenny lofton's number off hand?

if hes number 1 like he was in chicago that would be pretty hilarious

Batting Order for the Yankees

1. Kenny Lofton #1
2. Derek Jeter #2
3. Alex Rodriguez #3

i highly doubt lofton would go back to number 1 but that would just be silly.

ChiSox7
02-16-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Kuzman

1. Kenny Lofton #1
2. Derek Jeter #2
3. Alex Rodriguez #3

Rodriguez won't be wearing 3. That number is retired for a pretty good player.

Kuzman
02-16-2004, 11:07 PM
oh ya i forgot about that guy ;)

doctor30th
02-16-2004, 11:07 PM
Arod uniform number is going to be lucky number 13.

beckett21
02-16-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Kuzman

1. Kenny Lofton #1
2. Derek Jeter #2
3. Alex Rodriguez #3

That's how they used to number the guys back then, by batting order. That's why Ruth was #3, Gehrig #4.

akingamongstmen
02-16-2004, 11:37 PM
The problem with saying that the Yankees rotation is injury prone is this: If someone goes down, they'll just go out an buy somebody. They've done it time and time again.

pearso66
02-16-2004, 11:55 PM
I really don't think they improved a whole lot. Sure they gained 10-15 home runs this year from Soriano to A-rod, but they lost stolen bases. Plus they have a hole at 2nd which they may not be able to fill. If you ask me, A-rod should be playing SS because Jeter is overrated, and not all that great defensively. A-rod is definitally better, but is moving to 3rd, where there is no guarantee that he'll be good. Granted there is no proof that Jeter would be good there but Id rather take a much better defensive SS than 2 mediocre ones at SS and 3rd, especially with no one at 2nd.

I go on record as saying, Don't be suprised if they end up with 90 wins.

MHOUSE
02-17-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
If you ask me, A-rod should be playing SS because Jeter is overrated, and not all that great defensively. A-rod is definitally better, but is moving to 3rd, where there is no guarantee that he'll be good. Granted there is no proof that Jeter would be good there but Id rather take a much better defensive SS than 2 mediocre ones at SS and 3rd, especially with no one at 2nd.

A-Rod is clearly the better shortstop (gold glove O2, 03), but it's Jeter's team and he's the "captain" and I can see letting him stay at his position. However, if he struggles defensively or they can't get a decent 2B, then don't be surprised if a SS controversy starts up. I'd put A-Rod at SS, move Jeter to 2B and play Mike Lamb who they traded for (also from Texas) at 3B to bat ninth.

Lofton CF
Jeter 2B
A-Rod SS
Sheffield RF
Giambi 1B
Matsui LF
Posada C
Williams DH
Lamb 3B

Lamb is a decent hitter and having Posada and Williams in the bottom third of your order means you've got lesser problems. It's going to come down to the Red Sox and Yankee pitching staffs with how healthy and consistent they can be.

Baby Fisk
02-17-2004, 04:58 PM
Here's a glimpse into the mind of the Red Sox Nation: their doomsday poet laureate Dan Shaughnessy (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2004/02/17/sox_couldnt_afford_him_but_still_pay/) is already spinning his next self-fulfilling prophecy: that Nomar will play out the final year of his contract in Boston, then abandon Fenway to play 2B in the House that Ruth Built. I couldn't tell if he was being sarcastic or not because the text was not formatted in teal.

Is the suicide rate in Massachussetts markedly higher compared to other states?

ChiSox65
02-17-2004, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
[B]If this A-Rod for Soriano deal goes through then the Yankees are winning the World Series. Their lineup, rotation, and bullpen are all incredibly strong. Holy crap! The only possible holes I see are 2nd base and the 4-5 spots in the rotation.

They play the games for a reason............how many Yankee championships in the last 3 years???????...........0