PDA

View Full Version : Fallout from A-rod trade (could cause problems for Cubs)

MRKARNO
02-15-2004, 01:08 AM
Well this trade could end up pulling the cubs down using this line of logic:

Texas sends A-rod to Yankees and gets back Soriano.
100 million+ freed up.
Money can be used on FAs
No more good ones left this year.
Wait till next year for big name FA
Kerry Wood is an FA next year
Kerry Wood is from Texas
Texas has 100 Mil to spend (long term) while the cubs dont have as much after locking up D-Lee to a long term contract and going to arbitration w/Prior
Kerry Wood goes to Texas

It's not inconceivable by any measure of the imagination, in fact it's very likely as far as I'm concerned.

SEALgep
02-15-2004, 01:10 AM
I don't think Wood is going anywhere. The management will pay him, and Wood has no intention of leaving.

MRKARNO
02-15-2004, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
I don't think Wood is going anywhere. The management will pay him, and Wood has no intention of leaving.

But will the Cubs be able to offer a competitve offer to him?

Cubs 05 situation as of now:

-Alou has a mutual option with the cubs for 11.5 mil or 2 mil buyout. He'll pick up his side of it
-Sosa has 17 mil coming his way
-DLee could very well make 10 mil if they extend his contract
-Prior can enter arbitration (and probably will) and could easily get 6 mil
-They'll need 6-8 mil to extend Aramis's contract

They have a ton of money going to other players too. It seems to me like 2004 is really the cubs' only chance and that next year's team is bound to be less talented based on financial issues which lead to a cheaper team this year.

Dadawg_77
02-15-2004, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep

The prospect of playing back home could lurer him down there.

mike squires
02-15-2004, 02:43 AM
I think Texas and hopefully all of baseball has learned about signing players long term with that kind of money. They will obviously have some money to throw around next season but I don't look for them to pull another 22 million a year stunt. However, what the Yanks are doing will have more long term effects on the state of baseball.

StillMissOzzie
02-15-2004, 03:29 AM
While I wouldn't mind seeing it happen just to frustrate the Scrub fans who think that both Wood and Prior walk on water, I think that the Scrubs are still negotiating. While they have sewed up Wood for another year, supposedly that are still talking about a multi-year extension. Now, if those talks end when ST starts, all bets are off...

SMO

npdempse
02-15-2004, 01:20 PM
Was looking at the Sporting News preview for next year, and they listed all the guys who are going FA next year. The list is Looong, and filled with big names. I'd be kind of surprised if there are too many major shake-ups, and I wouldn't be surprised if guys like Wood (and even Maggs) end up staying right where they are, since the financial upside of moving won't be very great.

SEALgep
02-15-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
The prospect of playing back home could lurer him down there. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but they are working on an extension as we speak, and Wood has said that he isn't going anywhere. He could certainly change his mind, and want to play at home, but if you look at that side of it, his wife is a native of Chicago and probably would have a say in the matter. Lol, I'm sure that plays a bigger role than most realize. I would add more, but my girlfriend is calling me, "Coming sweetie." Lol.

hillbilly
02-15-2004, 07:40 PM
wood is overrated anyway. who cares.

SoxFan76
02-15-2004, 09:48 PM
While I hate the Cubs just as much as the next guy, looking this far into a possible scenario that might affect the Cubs is a little weird.