PDA

View Full Version : The Yankees will not make the playoffs

WhSox30
02-14-2004, 11:52 PM
They are too much like a fantasy team. Right now chemistry is more important than talent. Sheffield is a clubhouse cancer. They will also be under way too much pressure. If they lose the first two games steinbrenner will fire Joe Torre and that would be one of the dumbest moves in baseball history. For a $200 million team they still have a lot of questions that need to be answered. There starting pitching is not too good they are counting on Contreas and Lieber. And I guarantee Brown or Vazquez will not stay healthy for the entire season. I don't think Vazquez his ever played an entire season. And they will not be able to trade for help because they don't have any top prospects to give away. So there is still hope for the rest of the major leagues unless you are a Milwaukee Brewers fan.

red faber
02-14-2004, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by WhSox30
They are too much like a fantasy team. Right now chemistry is more important than talent. Sheffield is a clubhouse cancer. They will also be under way too much pressure. If they lose the first two games steinbrenner will fire Joe Torre and that would be one of the dumbest moves in baseball history. For a $200 million team they still have a lot of questions that need to be answered. There starting pitching is not too good they are counting on Contreas and Lieber. And I guarantee Brown or Vazquez will not stay healthy for the entire season. I don't think Vazquez his ever played an entire season. And they will not be able to trade for help because they don't have any top prospects to give away. So there is still hope for the rest of the major leagues unless you are a Milwaukee Brewers fan.

i wouldn't go that far my friend!!!!!!!

SEALgep
02-14-2004, 11:56 PM
They are too much like a fantasy team. Right now chemistry is more important than talent. Sheffield is a clubhouse cancer. They will also be under way too much pressure. If they lose the first two games steinbrenner will fire Joe Torre and that would be one of the dumbest moves in baseball history. For a $200 million team they still have a lot of questions that need to be answered. There starting pitching is not too good they are counting on Contreas and Lieber. And I guarantee Brown or Vazquez will not stay healthy for the entire season. I don't think Vazquez his ever played an entire season. And they will not be able to trade for help because they don't have any top prospects to give away. So there is still hope for the rest of the major leagues unless you are a Milwaukee Brewers fan. Hey welcome aboard. :) I agree that they have question marks. To me they are still the best in the AL East, but they have a left handed pitching park, and no left handed starters. Also the chemistry issue can be huge if they don't develop it. However, if anyone can get a team together, it should be Torre, provided George doesn't stand in his way. We shall see.

MRKARNO
02-14-2004, 11:59 PM
I would be shocked if this team didnt win 95 games unless their starting pitching situation blew up. They only have 5 starters as opposed to the 7 they had last year and if Lieber isnt ready or Brown gets injured or another thing, they could have some serious problems winning with their 5th starter. Or they could just trade for one. But this yankee team looks more like a Red Sox team than a yankee team (Superior hitting) and the Red Sox look more like the yanks (superior Pitching). Kinda scary. The yanks will still find a way to finish better than the bosox though

Huisj
02-15-2004, 12:01 AM
I don't think Vazquez his ever played an entire season.

umm, the guy has averaged well over 200 IP over the last 4 years. including 230 each of the last 2 years in 34 starts each year. that sounds like some entire seasons. i don't think he's ever been hurt actually.

vazquez career stats (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=5947&context=pitching)

beckett21
02-15-2004, 12:12 AM

Hmmm, where to begin...

You can never have too much talent. Never.

Joe Torre's job is safe for however long he wants it.

Starting pitching: Mussina/Vazquez/Brown--not too shabby

Why trade for players when you can buy them outright?

They will win 110 games. Good luck to the rest of the world.

beckett21
02-15-2004, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Huisj
umm, the guy has averaged well over 200 IP over the last 4 years. including 230 each of the last 2 years in 34 starts each year. that sounds like some entire seasons. i don't think he's ever been hurt actually.

vazquez career stats (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=5947&context=pitching)

Vazquez is very reliable. I wish we had gotten him over Colon last year. Poor man's Pedro. Or in this case, very rich man's answer to Pedro.

Lip Man 1
02-15-2004, 01:39 AM
WSox 30:

Here is my e-mail address: mliptak1@ida.net

I'll wager any amount of money you care to gamble on your statement.

Lip

Jjav829
02-15-2004, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by beckett21
Hmmm, where to begin...

You can never have too much talent. Never.

Joe Torre's job is safe for however long he wants it.

Starting pitching: Mussina/Vazquez/Brown--not too shabby

Why trade for players when you can buy them outright?

They will win 110 games. Good luck to the rest of the world.

Don't be so sure that Torre's job is safe for however long he wants it. George has a lot of money invested in this team this year, more than he ever has especially if the Arod deal goes through. He expects a World Series this year. He didn't put this thing together for next year. If the Yankees start off bad, don't be surprised to see Willie Randolph replace Torre.

I don't see 110 wins. They are going to be playing 76 games against a very good Red Sox club, an improved Blue Jays teams with possibly the games best pitcher (who has been very good against the Yankees), as well as improved Orioles and Devil Rays teams. I would say that if they stay healthy 100 is a distinct possibility, but I doubt they'll reach 110.

minastirith67
02-15-2004, 03:20 AM
Money can't buy Georgie love, that's for sure...Lots of money does not mean team cohesion and success. They did alright last season though, so i guess their team unity is there alright. I hope that the original poster is right insofar as the Yankees don't fulfill expectations and don't make the playoffs. I would never wish for injury on another player, especially a pitcher.

beckett21
02-15-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Don't be so sure that Torre's job is safe for however long he wants it. George has a lot of money invested in this team this year, more than he ever has especially if the Arod deal goes through. He expects a World Series this year. He didn't put this thing together for next year. If the Yankees start off bad, don't be surprised to see Willie Randolph replace Torre.

I don't see 110 wins. They are going to be playing 76 games against a very good Red Sox club, an improved Blue Jays teams with possibly the games best pitcher (who has been very good against the Yankees), as well as improved Orioles and Devil Rays teams. I would say that if they stay healthy 100 is a distinct possibility, but I doubt they'll reach 110.

I don't know about Torre. He is pretty ticked off at Boss after last season, as well as with Popeye taking a walk and Stottlemyre waiting so long to decide if he was coming back or not. I would expect Joe to quit before he got fired, if anything. But looks like he is back at least for this year.

But to agree with your point, Steinbrenner certainly has a history of snap decisions with his managers. But if he fired Torre, IMO he would be making a big mistake. It's not out of the realm of possibility, but unlikely to me. I would think that Torre has this season at least to produce another title. If they don't win it this year then perhaps you would be right.

As far as if they win 100 or 110, that is splitting hairs. Either way it will be enough. If their pitchers stay healthy and they get production from the back end of the rotation I think 110 games is still very doable for that team. Granted it is not easy to do in today's game but it still wouldn't surprise me. But how they can be considered anything less than a lock for at least the playoffs to me seems absurd, and that is the crux of the argument here.

Baby Fisk
02-15-2004, 12:10 PM
Weren't we all just mocking the Yanks for losing Pettitte & Clemens? Why can't we go back to that... :(:

I agree with the Sheff comment above. He and Brown will be like two black clouds in the Yanks clubhouse all season (or until Brown gets injured again).

owensmouth
02-15-2004, 12:26 PM
Steinbottom is just spending the money he takes in every year from his franchise. He's not going out on a limb, exposing himself.

But getting A-Rod doesn't make up for what he's lost, as somebody pointed out already, Soriano and Boone totaled 64 homers last year. A-Rod a few less.

Two shortstops on the left side of the infield? I think we tried that recently, and look for the outcome to be the same in NY, one year only.

The Yankees have a starting staff that has the potential to go either way. Brown and Lieber could total 40 wins, or 40 missed starts.

Only one of Steinbottom's starters won 15 games last year, and my guess is that he'll be the only one to do so again.

The Yankees are looking like last year's White Sox.

oldcomiskey
02-15-2004, 12:43 PM
once again I ask who pitches if Brown goes down--besides Vasquez?

beckett21
02-15-2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
once again I ask who pitches if Brown goes down--besides Vasquez?

oldcomiskey you are right, the Yankees are not totally infallible. You seem to keep forgetting, however, they still have Mike Mussina, one of the great pitchers in the game. He doesn't get a lot of press because he isn't shooting his yap off all the time. He is a true ace. Better than anyone we have or could hope to have.

The back of their rotation is questionable, but so is that of most teams. You have to figure that whatever they need, they will go get for the stretch run. You know that.

Daver
02-15-2004, 01:00 PM

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

Paulwny
02-15-2004, 02:08 PM

What makes everyone think that King George is done? At the AS break he'll repair any hole he may have when other teams have a fire sale. He's always done this.
"He who has the gold makes the rules."-- Armand Hammer

rahulsekhar
02-15-2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
What makes everyone think that King George is done? At the AS break he'll repair any hole he may have when other teams have a fire sale. He's always done this.
"He who has the gold makes the rules."-- Armand Hammer

Agreed 1000%. All he'll have to do is tell someone "I'll take those 2 terrible contracts as long as you give me your that starter who's up for FA anyway at the end of the year. Oh yeah, and here's a bag of chips for your troubles."

Seriously - is there any doubt that if he wanted to George wouldn't call up KW and say "OK Kenny - you can have a prospect for Loaiza, Konerko, & Koch". I think many on this board would leap at that deal to get out from under some dead weight. Heck - an injury or 2 and the BoSox might be willing to deal them Manny to make it easier to resign Nomar and Pedro!

beckett21
02-15-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
"He who has the gold makes the rules."-- Armand Hammer \

No way he's done. Not until he gets Vidro and Maddux. then he may be done...until another need arises.

He will never stop until the rules force him to.

chisoxmike
02-15-2004, 07:41 PM
Let's hope that since the yankee$ are a "playoff built" team like the Sox have been the past years, they will burn out. The last thing I want to see this year is the Yankees in the playoffs. Again.

:yankeessuck

SoxFanSince67
02-15-2004, 07:53 PM
I despise the Yankees, but I somehow hope they make the playoffs and loose. I can't wait for the TV cameras to focus in on King George, capturing his utter disgust in spending 200 million for futility!

WinningUgly!
02-15-2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by owensmouth

Two shortstops on the left side of the infield? I think we tried that recently, and look for the outcome to be the same in NY, one year only.

Whatchutalkinabout!!!??!!!
There's a slight difference in Clayton/Valentin & Jeter/Rodriguez! They'll coexist for much longer than just one season.

duke of dorwood
02-15-2004, 08:44 PM
They have a better chance than we do