PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Will Win it All!

Realist
02-14-2004, 05:08 PM
Like most die hard Sox fans I'm as pessimistic and tend to enjoy "bitching and moaning" as much as the next guy. This off season has naturally been no exception. It's difficult to get very excited by the lack of moves that the organization has done this winter.

However, last week I was reading a thread that listed our projected line up if the season were to open tomorrow and a rush of optimism viscerally filled my entire being. I was pretty shocked because that's the last feeling I was expecting. I had already written the 2004 season completely off.

I'm fully prepared to be accused of being on dope by the vast majority of the posters here, but I've learned to trust my instincts even though they aren't always 100% right. While we may not look all that scarey on paper, I firmly believe that chemistry is extremely underrated when it comes to baseball and this current team has the best chemistry I've felt since the early 90's. Besides, we were the best team on paper the second half of last year and look what that got us.

I'm going out on a limb right now and I'm going to predict a White Sox World Series Championship team this October. Remember...you read it here first.

Now pass the Kool-aid.

RichFitztightly
02-14-2004, 05:23 PM
Is it possible to put headlines in Teal?

chisoxmike
02-14-2004, 05:31 PM
I hope you're right!!!!!!!! I can picture it now!!!!! :) My life would be complete with a White Sox World Series win.

mike squires
02-14-2004, 05:40 PM
With a name like realist, you should know better than that. :)

voodoochile
02-14-2004, 05:48 PM
Actually, if Olivo, Crede, Rowand and Harris ALL play up to their potential, the Sox will have a pretty potent lineup.

Then the question becomes how well the 3-5 starters perform.

Still, offensively there is potential to have a big season, but like I said, everyone is going to have to step up.

thezeker
02-14-2004, 05:52 PM
You know. Why not?

It's about time we catch that lightning in the bottle.

And I agree with you about chemistry. That's the one thing that is ignored by all the moaners on this board.

You can feel a difference in attitude when you hear the players discussing playing for Ozzie. Just maybe these underachievers will play up to their supposed potential with a manager with some fire in him who cares about White Sox tradition and the fans.

If KW can pull the trigger before spring and get us a pitcher I think there is room for real optimism.

The Yanks got A-Rod & we got Ozzie. Let David slay Goliath in the first round of the playoffs and put Steinbrenner on suicide watch.

There's something in the air!!!!

MRKARNO
02-14-2004, 05:59 PM
I have said this before and I will say it again:

The White Sox have a lot of question marks. But if these questions are answered favorably for the White Sox, this team could be a very good team that could win 95 games without a problem. about 70-75 games are divisional games, so the unbalanced sked could be to our advantage. The White Sox have been a home run hitting team in this decade so far and if they continue to hit homers like they have in previous years and if they have mediocre to good starting pitching then this could be a playoff year.

chisoxmike
02-14-2004, 06:09 PM

I've felt that too. Something positive.

:reinsy
"Thats the smell of the construction of the park silly!"

Daver
02-14-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by thezeker

The wind must be blowing in from Stickney...........

munchman33
02-14-2004, 06:23 PM
Sure we have a lot of question marks...but who doesn't? I like our chances!

beckett21
02-14-2004, 06:29 PM
Realist and others are throwing me for a loop here. Normally, and I am pretty sure this has been observed before, by and large the level of one's optimism is inversely proportional to their age or length of time being a Sox fan. The younger the fan, the more optimistic/less jaded the opinion. Not true in all cases, of course, but as a general rule seems to hold true. But some of the optimists here are as old as me by looking at the bio's, which kind of surprises me.

As much as hope always SPRINGS eternal, I just don't get the same feeling. I wish I did. It would be a lot more fun if things were so rosy. We have just been down this path so many times and come up empty...sure you would think the law of averages would catch up to us, but unfortunately things don't work this way.

Probably the most positive thing I could say would be to look at the Marlins last year, and the Angels a few years back. Sure, anything is possible. But IMO we just have too many question marks to have unbridled enthusiasm for this season. The Angels and Marlins are the exceptions, not the rule. How many good Oakland and Seattle teams have come away with nothing? Too many things have to all go right as things stand now. Granted we are in the weakest division in baseball, but I still see a .500 record. I have been disappointed too many times to think that this year is going to be different. But hey I'm still rootin' for 'em!

I would love nothing more than for you guys to tell me how wrong I was! :smile:

MRKARNO
02-14-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by munchman33
Sure we have a lot of question marks...but who doesn't? I like our chances!

The Sox have a very good chance to win their division and anything can happen once you're in the playoffs. Just ask our past two WS champs, the Marlins and Angels. And the D-backs weren't the no. 1 seed in the NL (2nd). The Yankees were the 3rd seed in 2000. It was 1999, the last time that a no. 1 seed in their league won the WS, and the yankees had only 1 more win than the Indians.

The point is that coming into the playoffs with the best record and the no.1 seed doesnt mean anything (2000 White Sox anyone?). Just get in one way or another and good things can happen.

doctor30th
02-14-2004, 06:34 PM
I always make it a point to keep a optimistic outlook until the team on the field proves me wrong. No reason getting all upset over a lack of moves or anthing. Route for the team on the field, they can always suprise even the biggest cynic.

beckett21
02-14-2004, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
The Sox have a very good chance to win their division and anything can happen once you're in the playoffs. Just ask our past two WS champs, the Marlins and Angels. And the D-backs weren't the no. 1 seed in the NL (2nd). The Yankees were the 3rd seed in 2000. It was 1999, the last time that a no. 1 seed in their league won the WS, and the yankees had only 1 more win than the Indians.

The point is that coming into the playoffs with the best record and the no.1 seed doesnt mean anything (2000 White Sox anyone?). Just get in one way or another and good things can happen.

The reason those teams were so successful is because they had dominant pitching, with the possible exception of the Angels. But the others were dominant. I like Loaiza and Buerhle, Garland's OK, but they are far from dominant. Besides that we have no depth in the rotation to speak of. If you have lights-out #1 and #2, i.e. Johnson/Schilling, then maybe you don't need depth I suppose. But our "aces" are a far cry from Schilling/Pedro, Vazquez/Brown, Mulder/Zito/Hudson, etc. Dominant pitching is usually what wins. That's why the A's are such an enigma, so obviously it isn't an exact science. But it is a good predictor. We stack up poorly for a short series.

mike squires
02-14-2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by doctor30th
I always make it a point to keep a optimistic outlook until the team on the field proves me wrong. No reason getting all upset over a lack of moves or anthing. Route for the team on the field, they can always suprise even the biggest cynic.

I used to have that same outlook when I was younger, thinking this will be the year. This included 84, 85, 86, 87 88, 89 etc. etc...As much as I would like this to be a year like 90 (without a power house team like the A's to worry about) I just don't see it happening. I hope they prove me wrong.

Chisox_cali
02-14-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
I used to have that same outlook when I was younger, thinking this will be the year. This included 84, 85, 86, 87 88, 89 etc. etc...As much as I would like this to be a year like 90 (without a power house team like the A's to worry about) I just don't see it happening. I hope they prove me wrong.

Man you are the king of non sequitur attachments

mike squires
02-14-2004, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali

yeah, my wife just said I was vain. that may be true but I wish I knew what a lot of you guys looked like. Hey, what does sequitur mean anyway??? I thin it was a slam whatever it means.

Chisox_cali
02-14-2004, 10:40 PM
yeah, my wife just said I was vain. that may be true but I wish I knew what a lot of you guys looked like. Hey, what does sequitur mean anyway??? I thin it was a slam whatever it means.

It's Latin. It means "it does not follow"

Basically it's something that has nothing to do with what is going on. Shirtless guitar guy has nothing to do with what you were saying about the Sox chances this year.

beckett21
02-14-2004, 10:41 PM
yeah, my wife just said I was vain. that may be true but I wish I knew what a lot of you guys looked like. Hey, what does sequitur mean anyway???

MikeSquires,

What Cali is telling you is that your attachments/pictures have NOTHING to do with your posts! :D:

A non-sequitur is something that does not logically follow, like talking about the White sox and then showing a picture of someone playing a guitar. It wasn't a slam on you, actually it was pretty funny! :D:

but hey that's cool...I seem to think it's more fun just picturing people in your head the way you imagine them to be, although I would be curious to see what some of the other posters here look like also.

Thanks for sharing your pix with us! Helps us remember sometimes that there are actual PEOPLE behind these messages! :)

beckett21
02-14-2004, 10:42 PM

Basically it's something that has nothing to do with what is going on. Shirtless guitar guy has nothing to do with what you were saying about the Sox chances this year.

Beat me to it! :D:

Chisox_cali
02-14-2004, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by beckett21
Beat me to it! :D:

I Win! :D:

red faber
02-14-2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Realist
Like most die hard Sox fans I'm as pessimistic and tend to enjoy "bitching and moaning" as much as the next guy. This off season has naturally been no exception. It's difficult to get very excited by the lack of moves that the organization has done this winter.

However, last week I was reading a thread that listed our projected line up if the season were to open tomorrow and a rush of optimism viscerally filled my entire being. I was pretty shocked because that's the last feeling I was expecting. I had already written the 2004 season completely off.

I'm fully prepared to be accused of being on dope by the vast majority of the posters here, but I've learned to trust my instincts even though they aren't always 100% right. While we may not look all that scarey on paper, I firmly believe that chemistry is extremely underrated when it comes to baseball and this current team has the best chemistry I've felt since the early 90's. Besides, we were the best team on paper the second half of last year and look what that got us.

I'm going out on a limb right now and I'm going to predict a White Sox World Series Championship team this October. Remember...you read it here first.

Now pass the Kool-aid.

um......okay?????????

and i guess the arizona cardinals are going to win the super bowl next season as well.......right????????

Thunderstruck30
02-15-2004, 12:00 AM
I do think that chemistry and momentum are huge in sports. I honestly thought that the Sox couldve won the pennant last year if they had only won the division. They wouldve had great momentum. If a team has momentum, they are hard to stop. But I dont really know if the Sox have much team chemistry, but we can always hope.

delben91
02-15-2004, 12:23 AM
I'm not about to make predictions about the Sox doing well or doing poorly this season. There are just too many things that could happen, and no one can really see for sure what's down the road. Personally, I just can't wait for the season to start, because those first few games in April are heavenly just because baseball's back. Well that, and I've got tickets to the Sox v. Yankees game in NY on April 10.

MRKARNO
02-15-2004, 12:28 AM
Who knows? Maybe Felix Diaz will break out and be a 15 game winner in his first year in the majors. There are just so many question marks for this team, but I am taking the optimistic approach as my sig shows and predicting 91 wins, which should be plenty good enough to win this division

minastirith67
02-15-2004, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by red faber
um......okay?????????

and i guess the arizona cardinals are going to win the super bowl next season as well.......right????????

Hey the Cardinals used to be a Chicago team, so there's the irony, right? How truly fitting that would be...about as fitting as a Cubs World Series appearance.

surfdudes
02-15-2004, 10:09 AM

It was funny, we should do more. I for one, like the Sox's chances
in the weak central division, and if they take it in September, not by 10 or 12 games like in the past, and carry some momentum into the playoffs, hey! who knows?

mike squires
02-15-2004, 05:13 PM

I'm not getting picky here Cali, but is putting up an attatcment that says depswar also being non sequitur? No big deal. Just curious.

beckett21
02-15-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by surfdudes
It was funny, we should do more. I for one, like the Sox's chances
in the weak central division, and if they take it in September, not by 10 or 12 games like in the past, and carry some momentum into the playoffs, hey! who knows?

What the hell is that thing? It looks like a spoon holder or a pot holder or something?? :cool:

beckett21
02-15-2004, 05:26 PM
I'm not getting picky here Cali, but is putting up an attatcment that says depswar also being non sequitur? No big deal. Just curious.

I know you are asking Cali but that's his sig. The sig is independent of the post. Your attachment was part of your post.

Hopefully you are not offended--I don't think he meant any harm whatsoever.

Sorry for butting in! :smile:

Kuzman
02-15-2004, 05:27 PM
I know the sox will take the division this year, very weak division the AL Central has become, and lets hope the white sox take advantage of this golden oppurtunity

Chisox_cali
02-15-2004, 06:16 PM

As beckett said that's my signature (it's actually "Depswa" who are an awesome band by the way). If you want to make shirtless guitar guy your sig , go for it. I wasn't trying to insult you, just pointing out something that I thought was kind of funny. :smile:

chisoxmike
02-15-2004, 06:33 PM
This White Sox team can finish 1st or 4th this season. It's all up in the air. :?:

I'm thinking 2nd place. :whiner:

Realist
02-15-2004, 10:09 PM
What the hell is that thing? It looks like a spoon holder or a pot holder or something?? :cool:

It's a non sequitur. :smile:

mike squires
02-16-2004, 06:29 AM
As beckett said that's my signature (it's actually "Depswa" who are an awesome band by the way). If you want to make shirtless guitar guy your sig , go for it. I wasn't trying to insult you, just pointing out something that I thought was kind of funny. :smile:

no harm done and no offense taken. I guess from now on all the pics I put up can be considered my sig, non sequitur or not. :smile:

Maximo
02-16-2004, 08:11 AM
I think the first 50-60 games of the year will determine the Sox season..........and probably the next several seasons for that matter.

If they can come 'out of the gate' and Ozzie can help create a positive atmosphere in the clubhouse, I think they'll be competitive
in the AL Central right up to the end. Then maybe they'll make the one acquisition that will not only put them over the top, but give them a fighting chance in the playoffs.

If they stumble out of the gate.....we won't recognize the Sox roster by the end of the season and we'll start preparing for 3-4 years down the road.

Danryan
02-16-2004, 09:25 AM
The White Sox will be at least 10 games better, just by the subtraction of Manuel.

Realist
05-30-2004, 05:25 PM
I told myself that if we win the Texas and Anaheim series' I would revive this thread from before the season even started. Here it is.

:D:

IA_soxfan
05-30-2004, 05:38 PM
I told myself that if we win the Texas and Anaheim series' I would revive this thread from before the season even started. Here it is.

Well done realist, so far so good. This team reminds me of last year's Marlins and the Angels of the year before. Not really any "superstars" on the team, just a bunch of solid players. Let's hope that remains true to the tune of a new WS Champs flag flying above the Cell next year. :smile:

CubKilla
05-30-2004, 05:40 PM

If we keep pace on this mini-West Coast roadtrip, I'll begin to share your optimism.

This team still has too many holes to be considered a Championship contender IMHO.

batmanZoSo
05-30-2004, 06:12 PM
This would be the quickest we've made it BACK to the playoffs since 1919. Every other time it was one and done. This would be the first time in ages that the same core group made it back and that's typically how you win World Serieseses. The first time, you're nervous, the second time you have that experience under your belt.

All it takes is three series wins:

3-2
4-3
4-3

Or, an 11-8 run against good teams. If you get hot in October, you can win it all. They say it's different in the playoffs and it is somewhat, but these are the same teams we're beating in the regular season..same rosters, same players. Sure, we won't see the other teams fifth starters, but they won't see ours either.

The reason we never win it is because we only give ourselves one chance. The Braves finally won it all on their fourth trip to the playoffs. Eventually you'll get lucky.

Sox--champs...why the hell not?

batmanZoSo
05-30-2004, 06:16 PM
Realist and others are throwing me for a loop here. Normally, and I am pretty sure this has been observed before, by and large the level of one's optimism is inversely proportional to their age or length of time being a Sox fan. The younger the fan, the more optimistic/less jaded the opinion. Not true in all cases, of course, but as a general rule seems to hold true. But some of the optimists here are as old as me by looking at the bio's, which kind of surprises me.

As much as hope always SPRINGS eternal, I just don't get the same feeling. I wish I did. It would be a lot more fun if things were so rosy. We have just been down this path so many times and come up empty...sure you would think the law of averages would catch up to us, but unfortunately things don't work this way.

Probably the most positive thing I could say would be to look at the Marlins last year, and the Angels a few years back. Sure, anything is possible. But IMO we just have too many question marks to have unbridled enthusiasm for this season. The Angels and Marlins are the exceptions, not the rule. How many good Oakland and Seattle teams have come away with nothing? Too many things have to all go right as things stand now. Granted we are in the weakest division in baseball, but I still see a .500 record. I have been disappointed too many times to think that this year is going to be different. But hey I'm still rootin' for 'em!

I would love nothing more than for you guys to tell me how wrong I was! :smile:

Who cares about the past. Just enjoy this and if we make it, assume we'll crush everyone in our paths. For every question mark we have, we've got two exclamation points. :gulp:

MRKARNO
05-30-2004, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO on 02-14-04
I have said this before and I will say it again:

The White Sox have a lot of question marks. But if these questions are answered favorably for the White Sox, this team could be a very good team that could win 95 games without a problem. about 70-75 games are divisional games, so the unbalanced sked could be to our advantage. The White Sox have been a home run hitting team in this decade so far and if they continue to hit homers like they have in previous years and if they have mediocre to good starting pitching then this could be a playoff year.

Well the White Sox have had great starting pitching this year. Besides Crede and the 5th starter, all of the question marks were answered favorably. I still dont think we're going to have a problem winning 95 because I know kenny will get some type of 5th starter and our pitching and hitting is top notch. We have continued to hit home runs at a torrid pace. I will be dissapointed if we fail to make the postseason. I predicted that the Royals pitching staff wasnt good enough to even consider them with the Sox or Twins. I also predicted that the Twins just lost too much to keep up with the Sox and I will keep saying that. With Garcia or Livan, we could win it all and surprise no one. This team is that good. Enjoy Sox fans!

BigEdWalsh
05-30-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
This team still has too many holes to be considered a Championship contender IMHO.
The Sox have a few holes, sure; but what team doesn't? Sox have a definate shot. I'd like to see the holes fixed just to help make it easier. :D:
:ozzie

beckett21
05-30-2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Well the White Sox have had great starting pitching this year. Besides Crede and the 5th starter, all of the question marks were answered favorably. I still dont think we're going to have a problem winning 95 because I know kenny will get some type of 5th starter and our pitching and hitting is top notch. We have continued to hit home runs at a torrid pace. I will be dissapointed if we fail to make the postseason. I predicted that the Royals pitching staff wasnt good enough to even consider them with the Sox or Twins. I also predicted that the Twins just lost too much to keep up with the Sox and I will keep saying that. With Garcia or Livan, we could win it all and surprise no one. This team is that good. Enjoy Sox fans!

MRKARNO,

I will say that you are one of the people who stands out to me as being a believer all along. Where I once scoffed at your optimism, now I embrace it!

Bravo! :cool:

twinsuck1
05-30-2004, 09:08 PM
I'm happy were In first place right now, but I tell ya I'm still scared!!! :o:

Realist
05-30-2004, 11:46 PM
I just got outta the shower and while I was in there I had a vision. I saw my brother and myself sitting in our seats at the Cell watching one of the Sox away World Series games on that big ass screen in center field. The place was about 3/4 full, the beer was flowing and the Sox won the game. The team they were playing was wearing red and I believe it may have been the Phillies.

If batmanZoSo let's me shower with his "water pipe smoking aparatus", maybe I can get us some winning lottery numbers next.

Keep the faith, Sox fans!

batmanZoSo
05-31-2004, 12:09 AM
I just got outta the shower and while I was in there I had a vision. I saw my brother and myself sitting in our seats at the Cell watching one of the Sox away World Series games on that big ass screen in center field. The place was about 3/4 full, the beer was flowing and the Sox won the game. The team they were playing was wearing red and I believe it may have been the Phillies.

If batmanZoSo let's me shower with his "water pipe smoking aparatus", maybe I can get us some winning lottery numbers next.

Keep the faith, Sox fans!

http://www.cannabis.net/articles/bong.jpg
"I sense heightened intuition with this Reailst character, however I forsee a much easier red opponent that plays a little closer to home. It would be a rematch between the two foes that met in the darkest Series ever."