PDA

View Full Version : George H. Predicts KW will make a deal before the Season!

BeerHandle
02-14-2004, 01:50 PM
George H., on the Voices of The Game Special on the Score, said that KW will make a deal before the season because it is in the nature of his personality.

What does everyone think?

ewokpelts
02-14-2004, 02:07 PM
well..if there's no deal by soxfest..then you get one by st.
Gene

SEALgep
02-14-2004, 02:12 PM
After the Dodger's make a GM announcement, they will be possible team to get something done with. If not, then probably nothing happens in my mind.

MRKARNO
02-14-2004, 02:13 PM
Sox steal Maddux away from the cubs

Rocklive99
02-14-2004, 02:17 PM
I can see a move coming, especially since KW expected Robert Person to compete in spring training, so maybe he'll make a move since he got hurt

Lip Man 1
02-14-2004, 03:34 PM
The cynic in me is saying does it even matter?

The Yanks just got A-Rod...everyone else is now playing for second place...AT BEST.

Lip

cornball
02-14-2004, 03:49 PM
I think the Sox will make a trade or 2 before the season too. We have to stay at 25% of the Yankees payroll, you know.

RKMeibalane
02-14-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

The Yanks just got A-Rod...everyone else is now playing for second place...AT BEST.

Lip

I think Williams will do something, but I'm not sure most of us are going to like it.

:KW

"We're giving Frank Thomas to the Yankees in exchange for a jar of dill pickles."

gogosoxgogo
02-14-2004, 04:05 PM

I'm sorry, I didn't realize there was another part to you. :)

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-14-2004, 04:09 PM
I think he thought that the white sox would swoop down and steal A-rod but that's not going to happen anymore

Jjav829
02-14-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I think Williams will do something, but I'm not sure most of us are going to like it.

:KW

"We're giving Frank Thomas to the Yankees in exchange for a jar of dill pickles."

Make it bread and butter pickles and we have a deal!

delben91
02-14-2004, 05:22 PM

Lip

Well, yeah, but MLB's second place trophy would look damn nice in JR's trophy case.

whitesoxwilkes
02-14-2004, 05:34 PM
I still think either Konerko or Koch is gone before the season starts. Haven't heard anything, just one of those stupid hunches.

lowesox
02-14-2004, 08:09 PM
The Yankees need a second baseman and since they only go for the best of the best they'll probably pay whatever we want for Willie Harris.

Lip Man 1
02-15-2004, 12:45 AM
Gang:

For what it's worth, I just had a feeling of dread after hearing the deal. Even though I think the "optimists" are completely and unilaterally out of their friggin' minds, there was a small part down deep that wanted to believe. That maybe something could happen if the Sox got to the playoffs.

I'm sorry there is absolutely, positively no way the White Sox could 'luck up' and beat BOTH the Red Sox and Yankees to get to the World Series. The odds are so large it's practically zero.

Maybe because I'm older but this organization and baseball itself have drained the spirit out of me. I used to literally live and die with every game...break doors, swear, show that I care as far back as 1994. But not now.

And today after this came out I knew that even the 'optimists' comments were toast.

Lip

minastirith67
02-15-2004, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
I think he thought that the white sox would swoop down and steal A-rod but that's not going to happen anymore

A-Rod always seem more of a Cubs guy, plus pretty greedy at that despite his talent. I can't stand his personality...I am grateful that he does not wear white and black.

Jjav829
02-15-2004, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by minastirith67
A-Rod always seem more of a Cubs guy, plus pretty greedy at that despite his talent. I can't stand his personality...I am grateful that he does not wear white and black.

Greedy how? I still to this day have no clue why people call Arod greedy. He did not negotiate his contract! He did not offer himself $252 million! Boras got the dumbass Rangers to bid against themselves because Tom Hicks is a moron, and he wound up offering $252 million. What should Arod have done? Say "No thanks, I think I only need about $150 million. Can you possibly drop off $100 mil?" Of course not! He was offered the contract. You can't blame him for Tom Hicks stupidity.

beckett21
02-15-2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Greedy how? I still to this day have no clue why people call Arod greedy. He did not negotiate his contract! He did not offer himself $252 million! Boras got the dumbass Rangers to bid against themselves because Tom Hicks is a moron, and he would up offering $252 million. What should Arod have done? Say "No thanks, I think I only need about $150 million. Can you possibly drop off $100 mil?" Of course not! He was offered the contract. You can't blame him for Tom Hicks stupidity.

Bingo. No one in their right mind would pass it up...I certainly wouldn't. He's no more greedy than anyone else. His talent just makes him worth more money, and his agent robbed Hicks blind. I agree Hicks is the moron.

Personally I like ARod, money nonwithstanding. I would welcome him to the Sox with open arms. I can understand not liking him for the money he makes, but he has never done anything that I have seen that is even remotely offensive. I don't know him but he truly seems to be a nice guy. Just a very rich one at that. I just can't hate him for getting what he could get. Anyone who says they wouldn't have taken his deal is a liar or not very smart.

jeremyb1
02-15-2004, 07:45 PM
As far as making a deal goes, I don't see it happening. KW obviously has some patience as one has to in order to survive as a GM. Last season he was patient in waiting for the Colon deal to fall into place and he's now almost made it to spring training this offseason without forcing a trade. I see no reason he'll make a deal all of a sudden.

With regard to other teams' chances of success in light of the ARod deal, I think its foolish to rule out the possibility of a lot of clubs, the Sox included, winning the World Series at this point. There's simply too much luck involved in a short series to say anyone has assured themselves a title. While Arod is a huge upgrade for the Yanks, you have to consider the fact that they traded an excellent player in return and that Arod will no longer be as valuable at 3B as he was at SS.

BeerHandle
02-16-2004, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
As far as making a deal goes, I don't see it happening. KW obviously has some patience as one has to in order to survive as a GM. Last season he was patient in waiting for the Colon deal to fall into place and he's now almost made it to spring training this offseason without forcing a trade. I see no reason he'll make a deal all of a sudden

I don't think we will have a deal all of sudden, but I do think something will happen sooner then later.

Iwritecode
02-16-2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Greedy how? I still to this day have no clue why people call Arod greedy. He did not negotiate his contract! He did not offer himself $252 million! Boras got the dumbass Rangers to bid against themselves because Tom Hicks is a moron, and he wound up offering $252 million. What should Arod have done? Say "No thanks, I think I only need about $150 million. Can you possibly drop off $100 mil?" Of course not! He was offered the contract. You can't blame him for Tom Hicks stupidity.

The only way you can really call Arod greedy is the fact that he took (a lot of) money over having the chance to win a WS.

There was no way the Rangers would have ever done anything with his contract taking up that much of their payroll...

SEALgep
02-16-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
The only way you can really call Arod greedy is the fact that he took (a lot of) money over having the chance to win a WS.

There was no way the Rangers would have ever done anything with his contract taking up that much of their payroll... But now it doesn't matter if he was greedy or not. He's getting paid, and is on a contender. He can have his cake and eat it too.

SoxxoS
02-16-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
But now it doesn't matter if he was greedy or not. He's getting paid, and is on a contender. He can have his cake and eat it too.

Is AROD single? If he is, he has to be by far, the most eligable bachelor in the world.

He probably has a hard time getting chicks, though. Good looks and money are overrated.