PDA

View Full Version : Moments of Sox Stupidity

RKMeibalane
02-14-2004, 02:37 PM
Does anyone else remember when Carlos Lee was picked off of third base during an interleague game against Montreal? The Sox had a chance to tie the game in the ninth inning when Mark Johnson squared around to lay down a squeeze bunt. The Expos noticed Carlos wandering too far from third, so they pitched out and picked him off. Hawk screamed "NO!" at the top of his lungs. The next day here at WSI, a few fans were threatening to cancel their season-ticket subscriptions if Lee was in the lineup that night. He was.

CubKilla
02-14-2004, 02:38 PM
I do. I was at that game.

santo=dorf
02-14-2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Does anyone else remember when Carlos Lee was picked off of third base during an interleague game against Montreal? The Sox had a chance to tie the game in the ninth inning when Mark Johnson squared around to lay down a squeeze bunt. The Expos noticed Carlos wandering too far from third, so they pitched out and picked him off. Hawk screamed "NO!" at the top of his lungs. The next day here at WSI, a few fans were threatening to cancel their season-ticket subscriptions if Lee was in the lineup that night. He was.

Well the Sox would've been in postion to win that game if Keith Foulke's first pitch of the ninth inning wasn't a watermelon to Vlad. Vlad CRUSHED that ball over the centerfield wall.

CubKilla
02-14-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by santo=dorf
Well the Sox would've been in postion to win that game if Keith Foulke's first pitch of the ninth inning wasn't a watermelon to Vlad. Vlad CRUSHED that ball over the centerfield wall.

I called that HR too.

Lip Man 1
02-14-2004, 04:31 PM
This is a classic example of how Manager Gandhi was a complete waste of a manager.

Remember Lee also tried to steal 3rd base, three times in a two year span of 2001 - 2002. Two of those came against Cleveland.

He was thrown out all three times. In two of those occasions the tying run was at the plate.

Manager Gandhi then commented to the press that he was going to bench Lee for awhile.

He was in the lineup the next night!

Nothing like quality people in management for the Sox is there?

Lip

beckett21
02-14-2004, 04:38 PM
I'm visualizing a new Sox ad campaign for '04, something along the lines of the Bud Light "Real men of genius..." ads... :D:

:gallas

"Let's run with it!"

whitesoxwilkes
02-14-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by beckett21
I'm visualizing a new Sox ad campaign for '04, something along the lines of the Bud Light "Real men of genius..." ads... :D:

:gallas

"Let's run with it!"

Today we salute you:

"Mr Don't Let Your Ace Start In Yankee Stadium Manager"

"Mr Double Play Groundball Hitter"

"Mr Meatball Throwing Closer"

beckett21
02-14-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
Today we salute you:

"Mr Don't Let Your Ace Start In Yankee Stadium Manager"

"Mr Double Play Groundball Hitter"

"Mr Meatball Throwing Closer"

LOL

Good stuff there, good stuff...:D:

Deadguy
02-14-2004, 07:53 PM
When Ron Schueler shook hands with Jamie Navarro's agent and said, "We're glad to have Jamie at 20 million dollars for 4 years. I'm sure he'll be a great asset to this club."

That had to be the ultimate moment in Sox stupidity.

Daver
02-14-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Deadguy

That had to be the ultimate moment in Sox stupidity.

Ron Schueler drafting Mark Johnson in the first round has to make it in here somewhere,along woth him drafting his own daughter.

southpaw40
02-14-2004, 08:06 PM
Mike Squires starting at third base

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-14-2004, 08:16 PM
I didn't see it but I've heard of it many times on the board, but when Terry Bevington brought in a pitcher without even warming him up, that's pretty funny!

TornLabrum
02-14-2004, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
I didn't see it but I've heard of it many times on the board, but when Terry Bevington brought in a pitcher without even warming him up, that's pretty funny!

Then there was the time just last season when Gen. Disarray had three guys warming up in the bullpen. He had two warming up, and then realized he'd forgotten to prepare for a lefty-righty matchup, so he got a third guy warming up at the last minute.

Rooney and Farmer made a big deal about it when it happened, and then Rooney or Farmer asked about why it happened in one of the pre-game interviews the next day. The explanation above is what came out.

Mo308oM
02-15-2004, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I do. I was at that game.

i was too, i was in the background of the picture they had of carlos getting picked off on the official site. i was in my graduation cap and gown so i was this bright blue thing so u cant miss me. esp when i stood up and threw my grad cap down in frustration.

i still have that pic somewhere......

Nick@Nite
02-15-2004, 04:52 PM
Wearing those shorts... how stupid.

ode to veeck
02-15-2004, 04:53 PM
Playing Pudge in the outfield has to rank high on the list somewhere

More recently, Josh Paul on the basepaths is probably good for a few more in the top 20 all by itself

Acquiring Royce to help crater the great Sox running scoring machine of 2000 in subsequent years is a big one

TornLabrum
02-15-2004, 05:43 PM
Tony Cuccinello waving Sherm Lollar around third so he could be thrown out by a good 20 feet.

RichFitztightly
02-15-2004, 05:52 PM
Leaving Pedro in when he had nothing left... Wait, are we talking about the WHITE Sox?

Kuzman
02-15-2004, 06:28 PM

i do remember that game clearly, i was there in the stands and let me tell ya... i dont think there was a happy fan leaving that place.

misty60481
02-15-2004, 06:41 PM
wasnt there a game in late 70s that had a 6 o clock curfew on Sunday and Sox were ahead or tied about 2 minutes to 6 and a pitcher named Hamilton ( I think ) threw a gopher to someone nd they lost?? I thought Harry was going to come unglued..

RedPinStripes
02-15-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I called that HR too.

Yeah, I know. You didnt let me and Guido hear the end of it either. :D:

CubKilla
02-15-2004, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Yeah, I know. You didnt let me and Guido hear the end of it either. :D:

Hey..... when you're right, you're right.

Blueprint1
02-16-2004, 12:15 AM
How about last seasonbwhen Jimenez lost that pop up in oakland with the bases loaded in the first inning and two out. I was so mad

Brian26
02-16-2004, 12:46 AM

I may be confusing a couple of different situations here, but didn't it come out a day or two later that MJ had decided to square around to bunt on his own just to try mix up the defense? The bunt call didn't come from anyone on the Sox bench, but in effect, by MJ doing that on his own, it caught Caballo offguard so much that CLee stood there staring at it like he had missed the suicide squeeze sign- a sitting duck to getting picked off. I remember Ronney interviewing Manuel on the pregame the following day, and JM said they went over with the coaches and the players that something like that would never happen again. In the end, it seemed like MJ and Waving Wally took more blame on that one than Carlos.

RichFitztightly
02-16-2004, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
How about last seasonbwhen Jimenez lost that pop up in oakland with the bases loaded in the first inning and two out. I was so mad

I remember that play distinctly. It was when Beurhle was struggling. I was bartending that night, and me and the other bartender are huge Sox fans. I've been saying ever since they got Colon that "The Sox are going to win the World Series." Nobody at work was convinced.

Then bases loaded. Beurhle strikes out the next two batters. The other bartender says, "I'll tell you what, if Beurhle gets out of this inning with no runs, I'll go on record for the rest of the year that the Sox will win the World Series."

Next pitch... Pop up. "The Sox are winning the World Series!!!" I proclaim. Jimenez drops it, runs score, I scream, "NNOOOOOO!!!," throw some ice at the TV, pour myself a jack and coke, and we start talking about who should be the next manager to wear the pinstripes.

ode to veeck
02-16-2004, 01:51 AM
bringing Butter into a pretty close game in Oakland when he couldn't throw 80 MPG and only was brought up to the show because he was whining like he was the MVP or something--it was some ugly no contest batting practice in an early season game when it counted; what were KW and JM thinking?!?!