PDA

View Full Version : How Reinsdorf can get under WMVP's skin

Viva Magglio
02-14-2004, 10:50 AM
With the strained relationship between Jerry Reinsdorf and WMVP-AM (1000), I think WSCR-AM (670) should make a preemptive strike to exploit the situation. For years, the Score has not done remotes from Arizona during Spring Training. I believe the reason for that was ESPN Radio 1000. They balked at allowing the Score to be anywhere near the Kino Sports Complex to cover the White Sox. And in the interest of fairness, the Score would not do exclusive remotes from Mesa. Hence, no Arizona remotes.

So if I were Reinsdorf looking for a way to get under WMVP's skin, I would call up Score boss Drew Hayes and ask him if the Wise Guys want to come to Tucson. If WMVP complains, Reinsdorf should tell WMVP to stick it where the sun don't shine. Despite all the things he has said against us, Mike North and Jerry Reinsdorf have had a good personal relationship if I am correct. The Score-Sox strain is mostly from Boers & Bernstein versus Kenny Williams.

Reinsdorf should also allow the Score to do its Sox Opening Day remote REAL close to the Cell. In years past, under WMVP's reign of terror, the Score had to go to Bridgeport bars to do their remotes. This year, Reinsdorf should tell the Score to do their Sox Opening Day remote in Lot B (west of the ballpark across 35th Street).

This detente between Reinsdorf and the Score would form a relationship that would eventually culminate in the Score becoming the new home of the White Sox and the Bulls after ESPN Radio 1000's contract runs out after the 2005 season. If the Sox were to move to the Score, the first game on the 670AM 50,000-watt clear channel blowtorch would be the first 2006 Spring Training game in Arizona (in Tempe and not Tucson?). That is two years. Many things in the White Sox organization can change between now and then.

Note: I want this thread to deal exclusively with radio rights issues and not evolve into a tangential discussion about Roberto Alomar and Bartolo Colon.

munchman33
02-14-2004, 01:33 PM
I LOVE IT!!! I'm more of a score listener anyway, and having the sox on the score would be great because I'd never have to turn the dial.

SEALgep
02-14-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by munchman33
I LOVE IT!!! I'm more of a score listener anyway, and having the sox on the score would be great because I'd never have to turn the dial. I would like it, especially with these guys being babies. They want JR to renogiate for less money after they signed a contract, and hire Mariotti because they're mad he won't. Get real, I'll listen on 670 AM.

gogosoxgogo
02-14-2004, 01:42 PM
That would be horrible. The Score stinks. It has nowhere near the class or professionalism that WMVP has. The only good thing coming out of this is that Mac, Jurko, and Harry wouldn't get cut off by Sox/Bulls broadcasts. I suppose I would actually have to listen to the Score if this happened.

SEALgep
02-14-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
That would be horrible. The Score stinks. It has nowhere near the class or professionalism that WMVP has. The only good thing coming out of this is that Mac, Jurko, and Harry wouldn't get cut off by Sox/Bulls broadcasts. I suppose I would actually have to listen to the Score if this happened. I wouldn't worry about it, I don't really think it's going to happen. The contract ends two years from now, and a lot can happen between now and then. They're both just playing hard ball with each other.

ewokpelts
02-14-2004, 02:06 PM
Why not just wait and renegotiate in 05? Sides, Moronotti may not last that long.

Gene

duke of dorwood
02-14-2004, 02:53 PM
670 has been, is, and always will be a waste of a frequency.

Viva Magglio
02-14-2004, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
670 has been, is, and always will be a waste of a frequency.

You surely are not a student of Chicago radio lore. For most of its history, the 670 frequency was WMAQ. And WMAQ was one of the greatest radio stations in Chicago media history.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-15-2004, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
You surely are not a student of Chicago radio lore. For most of its history, the 670 frequency was WMAQ. And WMAQ was one of the greatest radio stations in Chicago media history.

I'm student enough to know the last five years have been the absolute worst in the "radio lore" of the 670 frequency. The day they plowed over the WMAQ call letters and installed that rabble of no-talent idiots to spout nonsense on a 50,000 watt station has to be the darkest in Chicago radio history. It ranks right up there with the day Rupert Murdoch's bunch took over the Sun-Times in the early-80's. A complete embarrassment to the entire city.

The Score sucks. Always has. Always will.

Grobber33
02-15-2004, 11:11 AM
Viva, right now the Score(thru WBBM)is preventing 1000 from doing Bears remotes at Oliivet Nazarene and that will be the case again this Summer. Therefore ESPN has kept WSCR away from Comiskey. WGN keeps everyone away from doing Cub remotes at Mesa or Wrigley. That's just the way it is.
When I still had the Sat Morning show(with TDUB)a year ago,I was able to get around that on 1000. The Cubs were HOSTING the Sox later that day at Ho Ho Kam and ESPN 1000 was doing a 'Sox Broadcast' so since I was ON the Sox Flagship,I was able to do my show from the Sox Broadcast Booth in the Cubs park(the Cubs were VERY helpful BTW).
With no loopholes like that however,you wont be seeing any Score remotes from inside any Sox Ballparks(Comiskey or TEP)any time soon even tho it would be a neat idea for Jerry to try and pull off.
I am sure my former Station(Score)would jump at it,but I wonder if our Managent at ESPN 1000 does'nt have a clause in their contract with the Sox that would forbid any other Station that Len Weiner or Bob Snyder dont approve from doing remotes like you suggest.
THE PLOT THICKENS!!!!!

ShoelessFred
02-15-2004, 12:36 PM
I am sure my former Station(Score)would jump at it,but I wonder if our Managent at ESPN 1000 does'nt have a clause in their contract with the Sox that would forbid any other Station that Len Weiner or Bob Snyder dont approve from doing remotes like you suggest.

you are still with espn1000?

1951Campbell
02-15-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!

If it wasn't for the old WMAQ, I probably wouldn't be a Sox fan. You could get WMAQ loud and clear up in the Milwaukee area back in the day, so here I am! :smile:

Viva Magglio
02-15-2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Grobber33
Viva, right now the Score(thru WBBM)is preventing 1000 from doing Bears remotes at Oliivet Nazarene and that will be the case again this Summer.

Les, I forgot about the Score keepign ESPN Radio 1000 out of Bears training camp. However, isn't that sort of payback by WSCR to WVMP for keeping the former out of the Kino Sports Complex? ESPN Radio 1000 banned the Score from there years before the Score banned ESPN Radio 1000 from Olivet Nazarene.

Grobber33
02-15-2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by ShoelessFred
you are still with espn1000?

I am still 'with' them Fred,but barely. I am not hosting right now,but who knows what will happen. I have a couple of deceisions to make in the next few weeks. I do still work for the Network(ABC Radio)on a National basis.
Viva, you are right about WMVP not letting the Score broadcast from TEP. It's one of those nyah,nyah,nyah things Program Directors love to do to show their 'power'. In 1985 when I was still with WLS, Steve & Garry did an enitre week of remotes in Mesa,but WGN put their 'Foot' down and used their power to get Cub Management to keep them out of Ho Ho Kam Park(We instead did remotes from the Parking Lot,a sports bar,an ASU Frat House,and even from pool side at the Hotel).I know,,because I was there. We then went to Sarasota for some Sox remotes,and the Sox DID allow us to do shows from inside Payne Park and WMAQ did'nt complain at all.
In 1986 when the Bears played the Cowboys in London,I had one of the first cell phones used back then and got many Bears Players to come on WLS live after the game in the locker room. WGN had FINISHED their post game but they still bitched and moaned because I had the cellphone. We did some things WGN never thought about doing. BTW,the Bears have never allowed a non-rights holder to used a cell phone in their locker room since---to this day!