PDA

View Full Version : "Paul" Sirotka and opening day lineups


A. Cavatica
02-13-2004, 11:15 PM
So I was just browsing the Sox opening-day lineups since 1991 (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/history/opening_day_lineups.jsp?content=4) at whitesox.com, and I noticed that the opening day starter in 2000 was "Paul" Sirotka...

But what this thread is really about is, in hindsight, what are the strongest and weakest opening-day lineups the Sox have had since then? And how do you think 2004 will stack up?

1997 is certainly the worst, with Tony Phillips in right, Dave Martinez in center, Harold Reynolds (Harold Reynolds?? I can't even remember him being a Sox!) at DH, Chris Snopek at third, an aging Karko at C and an aging Guillen at short. Jaime Navarro started. Yecccch!

It's hard to pick the best. I'm partial to the ones with Tim Raines leading off and Jack McDowell starting, but 1991 had Cory Snyder and Scott Fletcher, 1992 had Steve Sax and Mike Huff, 1993 and 1994 had Joey Cora, plus George Bell ('93) or Bo ('94). I guess I'll go with 1994.

Let's say Buehrle draws the start again in 2004, and he's backed by the following lineup:

Harris 2B
Lee LF
Thomas DH
Ordonez RF
Konerko 1B
Valentin SS
Crede 3B
Rowand CF
Olivo C

I'd rank this lineup in the bottom third -- comparable to, say, 1999.

WinningUgly!
02-13-2004, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica

Harold Reynolds (Harold Reynolds?? I can't even remember him being a Sox!)



That's because he never was!

I'm sure that's supposed to be Harold Baines.
It's nice to see that the official site can't even get the names right for players who have their numbers retired.

Huisj
02-13-2004, 11:38 PM
a couple interesting things . . .

wow, i totally forgot about danny tartabull sucking for the sox for a year. and charlie o'brien too. i remember that in the first baseball computer game i ever had, charlie o'brien and ron karkovice both hit 20 homers in one year for the sox. it was hilarious. i had the best hitting catchers in the league.

also, what the heck, they don't even get harold's name right. Harold Reynolds? c'mon guys, disrespecting my all time favorite player and childhood hero by replacing his name with that of the king of obviousness on baseball tonight? i'm pissed about this.

A. Cavatica
02-13-2004, 11:49 PM
Of course, Baines. I guess that nudges 1997's team a bit ahead of 1996's (Tartabull, Lyle Mouton, Darren Lewis).

The worst RECORDS put up by any of these teams were 1999 (75-86) and 1995 (68-76). I think the 1995 lineup was worse than this year's projected lineup. I still think 1999 compares, which is scary.

gosox41
02-14-2004, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
Of course, Baines. I guess that nudges 1997's team a bit ahead of 1996's (Tartabull, Lyle Mouton, Darren Lewis).

The worst RECORDS put up by any of these teams were 1999 (75-86) and 1995 (68-76). I think the 1995 lineup was worse than this year's projected lineup. I still think 1999 compares, which is scary.

It's going to be a long season in '04 for the Sox.

Bob

Fungo
02-14-2004, 09:06 AM
Chris Snopek at third

Snopek....another one in the long line of White Sox "top prospects"

thepaulbowski
02-14-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
It's nice to see that the official site can't even get the names right for players who have their numbers retired.

That reminds me, are they ever going to put up all the retired numbers again?

RKMeibalane
02-14-2004, 10:31 AM
Bo Jackson was not with the White Sox in 1994. He was with the Angels that season.

MRKARNO
02-14-2004, 11:08 AM
The 1991 lineup featured 3 current/future hall of famers. Fisk, Sosa and THomas. Too bad all three were not in their primes at this time

MarkEdward
02-14-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Huisj
a couple interesting things . . .
wow, i totally forgot about danny tartabull sucking for the sox for a year.

Did Tartabull actually play that badly for the Sox? They gave up very little to get him (Charles Poe and Andrew Lorraine) and he hit pretty well in his stint: .254/.340/.487, 111 OPS+.

I'm sort of surprised that the '96 team didn't perform better. Tony Phillips, even at age 37, remained an on-base machine (.404 OBP, 125 BBs). Thomas and Ventura were both in their prime. Baines hit well, and Durham and Tartabull put up decent offensive numbers. The only offensive sinkholes were at catcher (Karkovice), shortstop (Guillen), and center (Darren Lewis). God only knows why Lewis got over 300 ABs, Dave Martinez definitely should've been our starting CF. In the end, however, we only ended up sixth in runs scored.

Pitching wasn't too bad. We finished fourth in runs allowed. Alvarez, Fernandez, Tapani, and Baldwin were all above league average. Roberto Hernandez was the bullpen ace, finishing with an ERA under 2.00. Aside from him, though, we didn't have much else in the pen, and there was no fifth starter to speak of. In the end, I suppose I could see why the Sox finished where they did, considering the power house that Cleveland was at the time.

Deadguy
02-14-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward

I'm sort of surprised that the '96 team didn't perform better. Tony Phillips, even at age 37, remained an on-base machine (.404 OBP, 125 BBs). Thomas and Ventura were both in their prime. Baines hit well, and Durham and Tartabull put up decent offensive numbers. The only offensive sinkholes were at catcher (Karkovice), shortstop (Guillen), and center (Darren Lewis). God only knows why Lewis got over 300 ABs, Dave Martinez definitely should've been our starting CF. In the end, however, we only ended up sixth in runs scored.


I still have the Sports Illustrtated from June of 1996 in which they did a feature story on the White Sox. At the time, they were 19 games over .500, and shared the best record in baseball with the Indians.

From what I remember, there was an important series in early July against the Indians, in which the Sox took 2 of 3 games, however during that series Thomas got injured. He missed the All Star game, and after the All Star break, was placed on the 15 day DL. At that time, we were still 3 or 4 games in front of the Orioles in the race for the Wild Card. By the time Thomas got back, however, the Sox had blown the lead, and Cleveland was pulling way ahead of the Sox.

Going into the last week of the season, we still had a chance at the WC, but people were still somewhat complacent about baseball on the Southside, and I remember they had trouble drawing over 15,000 for most games that month.

soltrain21
02-14-2004, 12:08 PM
I can't believe they got Harold Baines' name wrong.

CubKilla
02-14-2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
That reminds me, are they ever going to put up all the retired numbers again?

:reinsy

"Of course..... when I find a sponsor for it."