PDA

View Full Version : What about Wilson?

munchman33
02-12-2004, 05:41 PM
What if Kenny was able to swing a deal with the Dodgers that instead sent Konerko for smaller prospects and Wilson Alvarez. He pitched well last year, when he was well enough to pitch. Could be the answer at #5, and saves us a ton of money.

Foulke You
02-12-2004, 06:07 PM
I thought about that too. It would be nice to have Alvarez finish his career here assuming he could put another season like last year together, I think he'd be a solid #5. I question his weight and his durability over the long haul (Chicago is a lot colder in April than LA). That being said, given our lack of starting pitching depth, I would trade Konerko for Alvarez. I certainly would not do Thomas for Alvarez.

I don't know how inclined LA would be to trade Alvarez though. I think he makes a relatively small amount of money compared to Konerko and there is speculation that the new LA owner might want to cut payroll and not add. We shall see.

poorme
02-12-2004, 06:34 PM
If KW wanted him, he could have signed him as a free agent. Pretty cheap too. I think he got like $3 million. We probably spent more on person, politte, shingo, et al.

MRKARNO
02-12-2004, 06:34 PM
Everyone seems to think of Wilson Alvarez as being really old because it was a while since he was with us and pitching well, but he is actually only 33 and could be around a good 5 years more or longer if he can keep up what he did last year.

jabrch
02-12-2004, 06:36 PM
He was good last year as a spot starter. I don't know if he could survive the wear and tear of a 30 start, 200 IP season.

mike squires
02-12-2004, 06:57 PM
Never forget Wilsons no no against the O's. I was washing dishes at a nursing home (hey it was a high school job) listening to it on the radio. I remember watching the highlights and it sounded like Hawk was gonna cry when he said...YES!!!" you would think they would throw that into the ESPN classic rotation...oh wait, it's the Sox.

munchman33
02-12-2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
you would think they would throw that into the ESPN classic rotation...oh wait, it's the Sox.

At least they play the 93 clinching game from time to time.

HITMEN OF 77
02-12-2004, 08:57 PM
I wouldn't want to trade Konerko for Alvarez, but if we had to trade Thomas and got him (Alvarez) with Perez and a prospect I'd say we did good.

SoxFan76
02-12-2004, 09:56 PM
I wish I had ESPN Classic. Hawk's calls can make a great game even more memorable. Regardless of what people say about him, he genuinely cares about the team. That sounded so corny, but it's true.

depy48
02-13-2004, 12:18 AM
You have to ask how much of an injury risk is Wilson Alvarez? I mean i'd love to have him pitch in chicago too

minastirith67
02-13-2004, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I thought about that too. It would be nice to have Alvarez finish his career here assuming he could put another season like last year together, I think he'd be a solid #5. I question his weight and his durability over the long haul (Chicago is a lot colder in April than LA). That being said, given our lack of starting pitching depth, I would trade Konerko for Alvarez. I certainly would not do Thomas for Alvarez.

I don't know how inclined LA would be to trade Alvarez though. I think he makes a relatively small amount of money compared to Konerko and there is speculation that the new LA owner might want to cut payroll and not add. We shall see.

Don't pitchers tend to fare better than batters in April due to the cold (i.e. Loaiza does really well in April)? I thought the cold weather was a major boon to pitchers...somebody correct me on this.