PDA

View Full Version : what are you most confident about?

habibharu
02-12-2004, 09:34 AM
have most confidence in?

Baby Fisk
02-12-2004, 10:03 AM
Not being surprised by Stagnation.

doublem23
02-12-2004, 10:04 AM
I'm most confident that the rest of the division is crap.

CubKilla
02-12-2004, 11:24 AM
Where's the "No WS for the '04 Sox" choice?

lowesox
02-12-2004, 11:29 AM
I think it's interesting so many people have such faith in E-lo.

Personally, I'm not sure what to expect from him. But usually, when you post on WSI about a player on another team having a good year people always refer to their career numbers.

Why is everybody forgetting how awful Loaiza's been until last year.

SEALgep
02-12-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by lowesox

Personally, I'm not sure what to expect from him. But usually, when you post on WSI about a player on another team having a good year people always refer to their career numbers.

Why is everybody forgetting how awful Loaiza's been until last year. Because last year he was healthy, and he added the cut fastball last year that he never had before. It helped him be more effective.

RichFitztightly
02-12-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
I'm most confident that the rest of the division is crap.

DING.DING.DING.DING.DING.DING.DING.DING.

Nail.... you just got hit square on the head

lowesox
02-12-2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Because last year he was healthy, and he added the cut fastball last year that he never had before. It helped him be more effective.

First of all, I don't think health is a very good excuse. This is a guy who's had at least 20 starts every year since like 1997. And as far as the new pitch goes, this is something you read about every time a pitcher has uncharacteristic success.

I'm not saying that he's going to for sure tank this season. But I think fans who are expecting a repeat run at the Cy young award are setting themselves up for a huge disapointment.

JRIG
02-12-2004, 12:20 PM
I'm most confident Frank Thomas, the best player in franchise history, will remain one of the top 10-15 hitters in the game.

steff
02-12-2004, 12:52 PM
For those of you that voted Maggs.. confident of him in what capacity? Just curious..

Mickster
02-12-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by steff
For those of you that voted Maggs.. confident of him in what capacity? Just curious..

Confident that he will have an outstanding (possibly career) year being that this is a contract year. Let's face facts, Maggs thinks that he's worth Vlad money and "mabye more". If he pleys out of his mind this year, the chance that some team will offer him a 5yr 75-80m deal increases dramatically.

Then... HE GONE! :whiner:

lowesox
02-12-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by steff

Of all of the above players, I think Maggs has the best chance of putting up a great year, whether it's with the Sox or not. He's the only guy on the list who's been consistently good every year.

How pathetic is it that the only player I have true faith in probably won't finish the season on my favourite team?

beckett21
02-12-2004, 01:05 PM

Why is everybody forgetting how awful Loaiza's been until last year.

You are correct sir. I have beaten that drum myself.

I voted for Buerhle, I just think he will be the most consistent. I would count on him for about 18 W and solid numbers across the board. I share the reservations about Loaiza. I know, cut fastball, fantastic; just give me another season please and I will be a believer. Lee has potential but still hasn't matured to me, hope I am wrong. Still a headcase IMO. Maggs would be the obvious choice, but given his uncertain contract status I can't put complete faith in him yet. Guarantee me a full season of an inspired Magglio and he is the choice. For now I go with Buerhle.

steff
02-12-2004, 01:06 PM
How pathetic is it that the only player I have true faith in probably won't finish the season on my favourite team?

Not pathetic...

It's what we've become forced as Sox fans to accept. :angry:

SEALgep
02-12-2004, 01:09 PM
Of all of the above players, I think Maggs has the best chance of putting up a great year, whether it's with the Sox or not. He's the only guy on the list who's been consistently good every year.

How pathetic is it that the only player I have true faith in probably won't finish the season on my favourite team? He might not be around next year, but that remains to be seen. As far as this year, he's not going anywhere.

Sad
02-12-2004, 02:10 PM
pathetic indeed

RKMeibalane
02-12-2004, 03:09 PM
:hurt

lowesox
02-12-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
He might not be around next year, but that remains to be seen. As far as this year, he's not going anywhere.

I think you're wrong. I think the Sox will try to sign him for the next few months (To show us fans they made an effort) then trade him during the season. Or at least that's what they should do because if he walks away and we get nothing in return KW should be fired.

gosox41
02-12-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by habibharu
have most confidence in?

That KW will make a stupid trade and being excited because he could talk about being aggressive.

Bob

mike squires
02-12-2004, 09:38 PM
I think you're wrong. I think the Sox will try to sign him for the next few months (To show us fans they made an effort) then trade him during the season. Or at least that's what they should do because if he walks away and we get nothing in return KW should be fired.

I think it depends on how the team does. If we are out of contention I can see maggs going somewhere else by August. I think the Sox will trade him away for some young talkent if we are out of the race.

voodoochile
02-12-2004, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
:hurt

No shock that my first thought was, "Where's Frank?" I'm still trying to decide if it is a shot at Frank or a bow to his presumed greatness so the question becomes, "who else are you confident in?"

Somehow I suspec it was a shot...

Of the people listed, I will be very surprised if Maggs doesn't have an absolute MONSTER year. He's playing for his prime-of-his-career-contract and he played some ball this winter. I expect him to come out on fire and not let up...

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-12-2004, 10:00 PM
I was going to say frank when I saw the name of the topic but he's not on the list. I know Maggs will do good but that's normal for him. I'm voting for Buerhle, finally the year he gets 20 wins. :)

Daver
02-12-2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
I was going to say frank when I saw the name of the topic but he's not on the list. I know Maggs will do good but that's normal for him. I'm voting for Buerhle, finally the year he gets 20 wins. :)

He better learn to be a groundball pitcher then,the Sox outfield is not what I would call defense heavy.Carlos Lee is below average,Aaron Rowand is no CFer,and Magglio Ordonez is a decent RFer.None of the three has any arm to speak of.

lowesox
02-13-2004, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by mike squires
I think it depends on how the team does. If we are out of contention I can see maggs going somewhere else by August. I think the Sox will trade him away for some young talkent if we are out of the race.

IF the sox are in contention it could be a very bad thing for our future. Not trading MAggs would be a mistake, unless it looks like we are going to resign him. It's one thing to lose a good player like Colon without getting anything in return, but Maggs is our heart and soul. If we're going to lose him than I at least want a future heart and soul back in return.

If what you say is true, then I hope the sox don't contend because we are nowhere near having a good enough pitching staff to actually win in the playoffs, nor will we spend the money required to build one.

If we don't re-sign or trade maggs, it will be a collosal mistake.

SSN721
02-13-2004, 05:58 AM
Regardless if he stays or goes after this year, Maggs is definately gonna have a career year cuz he has to mkae himself look real good for whoever is gonna draft him his new contract. Hopefully the White Sox :D: