PDA

View Full Version : Ultra Utility Man

SEALgep
02-12-2004, 12:06 AM
He probably won't be on the roster at the beginning of the season, but we may see him from time to time if someone is struggling mightily or an injury. It is yet to be determined, but having a offensely consistent utility man that can play all the positions is a very valuable tool. Here's the 411 on his performance for the Arizona Fall League.

Ryan Hankins 27 - Utility L/LStats: 23 G, 75 AB, .347 AVG, .414 OBP, 3 HR, 20 RBI, 9 BB, 9 KHankins spent the majority of his season in Birmingham, where he acted as a super utility man. Late in the season Hankins was promoted to Charlotte and continued to hit, no matter where they played him. The Sox sent Hankins to Arizona hoping to teach him another position, catcher. The Sox feel that Hankins could turn into an ultra utility player. To go along with catcher, Hankins can play 1st, 3rd, and the corner outfield positions. In a pinch he could also play 2nd. Hankins may receive a look in spring training, since backup catcher Sandy Alomar is so fragile.

doublem23
02-12-2004, 12:10 AM
When the choice for backup catcher is between Ryan Hankins and Sandy Alomar, you know you have no depth.

SEALgep
02-12-2004, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
When the choice for backup catcher is between Ryan Hankins and Sandy Alomar, you know you have no depth.
I disagree, Alomar is a good backup. He's still a good defensive catcher, calls a good game with a good repour with our pitchers, and has a decent bat still. Hankins would be more of an emergency for this season at catching. It would increase his value to the team if he became a utility man that could give guys days off, as well as be a third catcher without having to give up a roster spot to make it happen. That's why they're doing it, not because we have no other options.

depy48
02-12-2004, 12:27 AM
isnt jaime burke the third catcher?
ryan hankins would have to be able to play first base and third base

Rex Hudler
02-12-2004, 12:27 AM
Just for clarification, Hankins split the season between Birmingham and Charlotte. He was promoted at teh midway point when Jeremy Reed joined the Barons from Winston-Salem.

I like Hank a lot, but not being on the 40-man roster won't help his cause.

RichFitztightly
02-12-2004, 12:32 AM
Sounds like he's a grinder

Seriously though, he'd be a great addition if he can hit in the .250-.300 range. It wouldn't even be bad if it's .210 and above. There should always be a spot on a roster for a guy like that. Can't be much worse than Psycho.

SEALgep
02-12-2004, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by depy48
isnt jaime burke the third catcher?
ryan hankins would have to be able to play first base and third base He can play first, third, and the corner outfield positions. They say he can play second as well if he had to. Burke is the third catcher since Josh Paul departed, and he would continue to be. I'm just saying if Hankin was a utility man, it could only be beneficial if he was able to catch as well. It would allow more flexibility. If Alomar went down, or the both needed a day off, or whatever, Hankin could fill the role without making a roster change.

DrCrawdad
02-12-2004, 01:08 AM
If I read that correctly Ryan throws left-handed. Is it common to have a left-hander play 3rd?

doublem23
02-12-2004, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
I disagree, Alomar is a good backup. He's still a good defensive catcher, calls a good game with a good repour with our pitchers, and has a decent bat still. Hankins would be more of an emergency for this season at catching. It would increase his value to the team if he became a utility man that could give guys days off, as well as be a third catcher without having to give up a roster spot to make it happen. That's why they're doing it, not because we have no other options.

Alomar breaks a bone if someone sneezes on him the wrong way. No dice.

SoxxoS
02-12-2004, 01:32 AM
Jerry Manuel got word of this Hankins guy and is absolutely infuriated that nobody mentioned him during his tenure. He has quoted as saying...

"Outfield, 3B, 1B, and CATCHER? You mean like Josh Paul, only a better hitter" With this info just surfacing, I would have quit anyway."

MisterB
02-12-2004, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
If I read that correctly Ryan throws left-handed. Is it common to have a left-hander play 3rd?

Hankins is pure righty. BTW I once saw a collegiate women's softball game where the 3B threw lefty. Guess the ball gets on her fast enough that she has time to set and throw.

SEALgep
02-12-2004, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Alomar breaks a bone if someone sneezes on him the wrong way. No dice. That's why he backs Olivo up. When he catches part time, he's effective, and remains healthy.

SEALgep
02-12-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
If I read that correctly Ryan throws left-handed. Is it common to have a left-hander play 3rd? Not common, but not out of the question either.

delben91
02-12-2004, 01:16 PM
This offseason has been so slow that we're debating the possibility of Ryan Hankins as our backup/third string catcher...yikes.

SEALgep
02-12-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by delben91
This offseason has been so slow that we're debating the possibility of Ryan Hankins as our backup/third string catcher...yikes. Why? If we can bring along talent instead of buying it, why is that a problem, or disheartening.

delben91
02-12-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Why? If we can bring along talent instead of buying it, why is that a problem, or disheartening.

No, there's nothing wrong with that at all. In fact, that's probably the best way for the Sox to improve. I was just momentarily lamenting the "slow" offseason we've had where we have to hope for things to work out, like Hankins, but more notably, Schoenweis, Harris, Rowand instead of having proven contributors. Not that they can't all work out. Nothing against Hankins, just took the discussion as an opening.

SEALgep
02-12-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by delben91
No, there's nothing wrong with that at all. In fact, that's probably the best way for the Sox to improve. I was just momentarily lamenting the "slow" offseason we've had where we have to hope for things to work out, like Hankins, but more notably, Schoenweis, Harris, Rowand instead of having proven contributors. Not that they can't all work out. Nothing against Hankins, just took the discussion as an opening. Lol, good deal.