PDA

View Full Version : This year's annoying Sox commercials

batmanZoSo
02-11-2004, 09:58 PM
Rob Gallas should stick to his Beatles cover band. Year after year we have these radio commercials with the same cutsie poo "take me out to the ball game" melody behind whatever manager telling us about how the Sox are going to play the game. This year, for instance "we go-ee to play de game righ." Good lord.

This almost beats the old fireworks day commercials...shown in black and white.

Oh, and the "It's Time" campaign that, surprisingly, held steady momentum through a 14-29 start in 2001.

About the only funny and entertaining Sox ad was the one put up in Wrigleyville saying "Major League Baseball 8.1 miles south." But even that was pretty classless. On the other hand, we are the smut sox, the redheaded stepchild no one likes. We should tear down the ball mall and build a new park in the south loop. (Mariotti, 101).

Lip Man 1
02-11-2004, 11:13 PM
What do you expect, do you think they can afford to hire a top PR / advertising firm? They're to poor remember?

Lip

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-11-2004, 11:31 PM
What about the commerical with Royce "the choice" clayton, Carlos Lee and Sandy Alomar talking about fireworks? royce: shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh BOOM. I thought it was so funny.

Jerry_Manuel
02-11-2004, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
What do you expect, do you think they can afford to hire a top PR / advertising firm? They're to poor remember?

Lip

It's crazy, Lip. The Bulls ads ever since they changed firms 2 years ago, have been tremendous. Their media guides are always top notch as well. I can't understand why the same firm can't help the Sox.

MarqSox
02-11-2004, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Rob Gallas should stick to his Beatles cover band. Year after year we have these radio commercials with the same cutsie poo "take me out to the ball game" melody behind whatever manager telling us about how the Sox are going to play the game. This year, for instance "we go-ee to play de game righ." Good lord.

This almost beats the old fireworks day commercials...shown in black and white.

Oh, and the "It's Time" campaign that, surprisingly, held steady momentum through a 14-29 start in 2001.

About the only funny and entertaining Sox ad was the one put up in Wrigleyville saying "Major League Baseball 8.1 miles south." But even that was pretty classless. On the other hand, we are the smut sox, the redheaded stepchild no one likes. We should tear down the ball mall and build a new park in the south loop. (Mariotti, 101).
I loved their "Line Shot" campaign from 1998. That was awesome.

As for "It's Time," I thought it was great. Gave me chills the first time I saw it. Of course, when you make an ad like that, you better back it up or it quickly becomes a punchline. :(:

npdempse
02-11-2004, 11:48 PM
I'm loving the new ads, though it's more for the comic value. I'm hoping Oz gets more & more truculent as the season goes on.
:ozzie:
"Patience. Forget patience. You don't wanna run out de groun ball?

Let me introduce you to my leetle friend."

depy48
02-12-2004, 12:32 AM
i was a big fan of the commercials where Ventura, Thomas, and Belle wore the black suits. Those were awesome!

mantis1212
02-12-2004, 12:35 AM
The commercials suck guys. The. commercials. always. suck.

Fisk Fan
02-12-2004, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
What about the commerical with Royce "the choice" clayton, Carlos Lee and Sandy Alomar talking about fireworks? royce: shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh BOOM. I thought it was so funny.

That could be the dumbest commercial ever!

BeerHandle
02-12-2004, 08:28 AM

The Sox did not put up the billboard about "major league baseball 8.1 miles south" This was paid for by a private individual. The Sox asked the individual to have the sign covered up.

I LOVED IT!

34 Inch Stick
02-12-2004, 09:59 AM
The last good commercial was Whimpy doing impersonations.

Procol Harum
02-12-2004, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
The last good commercial was Whimpy doing impersonations.

Which were like the ones he used to do for the Mariners...by the by, the Sox should hire the outfit that has done their commercials over the years--some brilliant stuff. Usually feature the players, funny, don't take themselves too seriously.

:reinsy
"Well, if we don't take ourselves seriously, then who will??"

:ohno
"Darn good question."

BlackSox
02-12-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
The Sox did not put up the billboard about "major league baseball 8.1 miles south" This was paid for by a private individual. The Sox asked the individual to have the sign covered up.

I LOVED IT!

I thought that was a billboard for WMVP (AM1000 ).

Irishsox1
02-12-2004, 02:32 PM
If you noticed, the Cubs don't have nearly as an aggresive marketing as the Sox do. The Sox run a bunch of different TV and radio commercials along with highway billboard and internet banner ads. As for the current commercials, Ozzie is funny when he butchers the english language, but he says some good stuff. As long as Ozzie turns the Sox into Central Division Champs, he can butcher the commercials any day.

Foulke You
02-12-2004, 02:36 PM
Agree with batmanZoSo that we need to ditch the stupid "Take me out to the Ballgame" fiddle music with annoying narrator guy. We've used that for the last 5 years. It is getting quite stale. From "Hey! These Kids Can Play!" to "THIS...is White Sox Baseball" to "Come Ready To Play".

"It's rounding third, it's the shower in left, it's flyballs, it's fast paced, it's..." (UGH...shut up!!)

Plea to Gallas: Get rid of the fiddle and annoying voice man spots. It isn't reaching anyone.

The only campaign I've liked from the past few years was "It's Time." and that one probably jinxed our season from the start but at least it was bold.

ewokpelts
02-12-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
If you noticed, the Cubs don't have nearly as an aggresive marketing as the Sox do. The Sox run a bunch of different TV and radio commercials along with highway billboard and internet banner ads. As for the current commercials, Ozzie is funny when he butchers the english language, but he says some good stuff. As long as Ozzie turns the Sox into Central Division Champs, he can butcher the commercials any day.

The Cubs dont NEED a big campaign. I think they only use newspapers a lot(suntimes, reader), but that's to get the promo sched out.

When did the Sox use internet banners?

Also, I think the Sxo should use viral marketing(Street Teams) more. Use than fans as a marketing tool. AND AS A NOTE TO GALLAS AND JERRY...IT'S CHEEPER AND MORE EFFECTIVE TOO....
Gene

JohnJeter
02-12-2004, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
The only campaign I've liked from the past few years was "It's Time." and that one probably jinxed our season from the start but at least it was bold.

In all fairness, they never specified "what" it was time FOR.

Foulke You
02-12-2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by JohnJeter
In all fairness, they never specified "what" it was time FOR.

LOL! It was time to tear shoulder labrums, watch Royce Clayton "take over" the game, and also "time" to hand the division crown back to the Indians. :(:

ericiii
02-12-2004, 10:09 PM

About the only funny and entertaining Sox ad was the one put up in Wrigleyville saying "Major League Baseball 8.1 miles south."

I remember Kevin Matthews bragging about that. I thought it was him...I'm not sure what radio station he worked for at the time though.

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-12-2004, 10:21 PM
I saw tons of ads on Yahoo last year advertising $1 thursday hot dog day and fireworks night. I don't really like how the Sox have had a different slogan every year but they always have the same guy for the commercials. The cubs only seem to have that ancient "come out to beautiful wrigley field" commercial that they change maybe once a season with clips from the previous season.

mantis1212
02-12-2004, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
I saw tons of ads on Yahoo last year advertising $1 thursday hot dog day and fireworks night. I don't really like how the Sox have had a different slogan every year but they always have the same guy for the commercials. The cubs only seem to have that ancient "come out to beautiful wrigley field" commercial that they change maybe once a season with clips from the previous season.

You saw all those adds because Yahoo sees you click on a lot of White Sox-related links, like the news or the day game at work :)

batmanZoSo
02-16-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Agree with batmanZoSo that we need to ditch the stupid "Take me out to the Ballgame" fiddle music with annoying narrator guy. We've used that for the last 5 years. It is getting quite stale. From "Hey! These Kids Can Play!" to "THIS...is White Sox Baseball" to "Come Ready To Play".

"It's rounding third, it's the shower in left, it's flyballs, it's fast paced, it's..." (UGH...shut up!!)

Plea to Gallas: Get rid of the fiddle and annoying voice man spots. It isn't reaching anyone.

Yeah, I liked "it's time" in March. But not for too long.

No more Bob Saget clone narrator guy. No fiddle music. No TMOTTBG, that's wrigley crap.

Our commercials need to be more cinematic. Take the best looking guys, like Buehrle and Garland (not gay) and I don't know, do a parody of Pulp Fiction or something. ...

minastirith67
02-17-2004, 01:08 AM
Yeah, I liked "it's time" in March. But not for too long.

No more Bob Saget clone narrator guy. No fiddle music. No TMOTTBG, that's wrigley crap.

Our commercials need to be more cinematic. Take the best looking guys, like Buehrle and Garland (not gay) and I don't know, do a parody of Pulp Fiction or something. ...

Hehe...Bob Saget...no way in hell that is remotely like Bob Saget. More like his character Danny Tanner or whatever his name was in that show with the Olsen twins. Bob Saget is one of the most vulgar people I have ever heard. If you need proof, go watch the movie Half-Baked.

hellenicsoxfan
02-17-2004, 02:47 AM
The ones a couple of years ago with Jerry Manuel telling fans that when they come to watch the Sox, "Come ready to play" were funny in a sick, pathetic way. The fans came ready to play. Unfortunately, his team was never ready to play as it took on his sleepy persona.

HITMEN OF 77
02-17-2004, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by hellenicsoxfan
The ones a couple of years ago with Jerry Manuel telling fans that when they come to watch the Sox, "Come ready to play" were funny in a sick, pathetic way. The fans came ready to play. Unfortunately, his team was never ready to play as it took on his sleepy persona.

When Jerry Manuel was talking to the fans, I think he meant "come ready to pay"

batmanZoSo
02-18-2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by minastirith67
Hehe...Bob Saget...no way in hell that is remotely like Bob Saget. More like his character Danny Tanner or whatever his name was in that show with the Olsen twins. Bob Saget is one of the most vulgar people I have ever heard. If you need proof, go watch the movie Half-Baked.

I'm sorry, he can't fool me with his crass facade, he and Danny Tanner are one in the same. There's no other way he could've played the part so well.