PDA

View Full Version : What's On Second?

Carolina Kenny
02-11-2004, 08:39 PM
Here are some of my all time favorites at second base for the Sox. Looking forward see who will hold down this job, this year.

Eddie Colins: the standard of execllance perhaps we will never see again. Speed, defense, hitting, baserunning, leadership and honesty.

Cass (Michaels) Kwietniewski: Over twenty years after Collins was gone the next decent 2nd baseman the Sox had was Cass who in 1949 hit .308 and 101 walks for a ob of .417 with 83 RBI's and good range. In 1954 beaning empaired his vision and ended his career, he was only 28.

Nellie Fox, the modern time holy grail for all that is 2nd base for the White Sox. Was this guy a grinder?

Don Buford, following Fox was a hard act to follow. Buford had some talent but never quite showed enough defense in a Sox uniform. After being traded to the Orioles he became the hardest man to double up in modern baseball history, grounding into only 33 double plays in 4533 at bats.

Wayne Causey, supposed to be the answer to Bufords fielding problems, remember he came with high hopes he would hit in the .280's like in KC, but he hit .227 for the '67 sox hitless wonders with average range and little speed. I list him because I remember his coming with such high expectations for the time.

Jorge Orta, came in second to Rod Carew for the batting title in 1974. Batted .304 with 83 rbi in 1975. Could not turn the double play. Part of the great 1977 team.

Julie(Juice Cruz) perhaps the best fielding 2nd I have seen in a Sox uniform. Could really fly but only managed a .317 on base percentage in the winning ugly team of 1983. Should Willie's goal be a on base of .317 this year?

Joey Cora, only around for a couple of years but he hit, stole some, walked some and was fun to watch.

Ray Durham, should have been better than he was but was still better over all for a longer period than anybody the Sox have had since Collins and Fox.

That makes it three all star 2nd basemen in the last 100 years with the exception of a good year here someone who could field but not hit, or hit but not field. Or someone who is basicly a utility man, ie: Little Hurt, Tony G.

Wee Wille Harris or Wonderful Juan Uribe this year? Why the heck not. I will be watching 2nd base this year and hope for at least a Joey Cora type performance.

poorme
02-11-2004, 08:55 PM
Cruz scarred JR for life. I think he's still paying that contract.

A. Cavatica
02-11-2004, 08:56 PM
Tony Bernazard was awfully good in the season or two before they swapped him for Juice.

TornLabrum
02-11-2004, 09:19 PM
What about Al Weis?

beckett21
02-11-2004, 09:56 PM
Fred Manrique?

poorme
02-11-2004, 10:13 PM
Larry Himes was so proud of himself when he acquired Donnie Hill. He was going to be our leadoff man and sparkplug. You know the more things change, the more they stay the same. For the last 20 years we've been doing things on the cheap.

Carolina Kenny
02-12-2004, 11:41 AM
The ghosts of illustrious sox second sackers are coming back to me as I anticipate the arrival of Willie Harris as the heir apparant to the legacy of Collins and Fox.

Al Weis- gave new meaning to light hitting perhaps Uribe could even out hit him. Extremly fast and pretty slick utility guy. Another guy like Ken Berry who if he could have only hit .280 could have been.

Tony Bernazard-forgot about him but his best years were with the Indians, despite a Konerko like 0 for 44 streak in 1984 with the Tribe came back and hit .301 with a Indian club record of 17 switch hit homers in 1986. Scored 90 runs for the 1982 Sox but his defense was Orta like and they went with Cruz the following year.

Fred Manrique-Had played for Fregosi in the minors and was a shortstop but Ozzie was already in place. Sox moved Freddy to second to create one of the all time worst tandems of Donnie Hill and Fred Manrique to hold the position for most of 1987and 1988.
Their combined BA was around .225,
In 1989 Fred was off to a better start and was hitting .299 but I believe he got hurt and we ended up with Psycho Steve Lyons playing 70 forgettable games at second.