PDA

View Full Version : Hawk's Nicknames

RichFitztightly
02-11-2004, 05:01 PM
What ever happened to Hawk's nicknames. I remember in the early 90's when everyone had a clever nickname.

"The Deacon" Warren Newsome
"The Pope" Donn Paul
"Big Hurt"
"Little Hurt" Craig Grebeck
"One Dog" Lance Johnson
"Officer" Ron Karkovice
"Spanky" LaVallier
"Black Jack" McDowell

There are others I can't quite remember. My point is... he used to be really creative with the nicknames and he's slacked off a bit. Now there's only:

"El Cabaillo" Carlos Lee
"Feisty" Darren Jackson

So what are some other nicknames we can give these players. Something that might actually be used. I know a lot of my friends have called Jose Valentine "Chico" since the last playoff year and it's stuck. It always seemed to fit. He looked like he should be called "Chico" and he had that accent to match. Danny "Wrong" is a good nickname I've heard used, but I don't think Hawk would use it. I don't know... Any Ideas?

mantis1212
02-11-2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by RichFitztightly
What ever happened to Hawk's nicknames. I remember in the early 90's when everyone had a clever nickname.

"The Pope" Donn Paul
"Big Hurt"
"One Dog" Lance Johnson
"Officer" Ron Karkovice
"Spanky" LaVallier
"Black Jack" McDowell

There are others I can't quite remember. My point is... he used to be really creative with the nicknames and he's slacked off a bit. Now there's only:

"El Cabaillo" Carlos Lee
"Feisty" Darren Jackson

So what are some other nicknames we can give these players. Something that might actually be used. I know a lot of my friends have called Jose Valentine "Chico" since the last playoff year and it's stuck. It always seemed to fit. He looked like he should be called "Chico" and he had that accent to match. Danny "Wrong" is a good nickname I've heard used, but I don't think Hawk would use it. I don't know... Any Ideas?

Whatever happened to "Wheels" Konerko? I swear I heard Hawk use that once...:)

Zero-san I can picture Hawk using, a modification of Mr. Zero...

RichFitztightly
02-11-2004, 05:34 PM
I always used "P.K. Ripper" for Konerko. (it's in honor of an old BMX Freestyle Bike made by Hutch or Huffy). It always seemed like something Hawk would say, but it never caught on with any of my friends. Not like "Chico" anyways.

HITMEN OF 77
02-11-2004, 06:29 PM
I noticed he know shortens players names or uses there name as a nickname, Paulie, Maggs, etc....I remember he called Herbert Perry "the milkman"

Thunderstruck30
02-11-2004, 09:36 PM
He called Graffanino Tony G. but thats not really a nickname. He also used to say "Nawton your the greatest!!!" I never really got that one.

Daver
02-11-2004, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30
He called Graffanino Tony G. but thats not really a nickname. He also used to say "Nawton your the greatest!!!" I never really got that one.

That was a famous line from the Jackie Gleason TV show " The Honeymooners"

batmanZoSo
02-11-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by mantis1212
Whatever happened to "Wheels" Konerko? I swear I heard Hawk use that once...:)

Zero-san I can picture Hawk using, a modification of Mr. Zero...

Wheels Konerko went the way of the evening newspaper because Hawk didn't come up with it...DJ did after Konerko hit his inside the parker in Tampa.

batmanZoSo
02-11-2004, 09:45 PM

"The Pope" Donn Paul
"Big Hurt"
"One Dog" Lance Johnson
"Officer" Ron Karkovice
"Spanky" LaVallier
"Black Jack" McDowell

"El Cabaillo" Carlos Lee
"Feisty" Darren Jackson

I call Valentin Freddie Mercury because he looks just like him. As long as Mercury had a moustache that is. And they both pluck(ed)their eyebrows.

Hawk really has lost it as far as nicknames go. Man in the early 90s he practically had pet names for everyone on the team and they all stuck. Nowadays everythings ARod, IRod, AGonz, KG, TO. Pretty lame. Initials? Come on.

RichFitztightly
02-11-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
I call Valentin Freddie Mercury because he looks just like him. As long as Mercury had a moustache that is. And they both pluck(ed)their eyebrows.

Hawk really has lost it as far as nicknames go. Man in the early 90s he practically had pet names for everyone on the team and they all stuck. Nowadays everythings ARod, IRod, AGonz, KG, TO. Pretty lame. Initials? Come on.

I like that Freddie Mercury reference, that's pretty funny. I know, that certainly is my point. He's lost it as far as nicknames go.

It's pretty funny that you use the term pet-names. I think Steve Dahl hit it right on the head. Listening to Hawk and D.J. call a game is like listening to "Gay Baseball." Quite possibly the funniest line I ever heard him utter. Me and my roomate in college used to just sit there and pick out anything that remotely represented Gay Baseball. That made the games interesting.

these are the one's I can remember off the top of my head:

"Look at the Rooster... Heeee's a handsome man" --Hawk

"You know DJ, I loooove the picnic in the park" --Hawk "Oh absolutely, just me and you Hawk, sitting on a blanket, drinking a bottle of wine. Just a... a fabulous time"-- DJ's response

"I Loooove Willie's Wonka" -- DJ talking about Willie Wonka's kids day.

"Paulie went in there and smoked that pole" -- DJ talking about Konerko (ahem- P.K. Ripper) after he slid into the pole of the camera well.

Man, I could go on and on about these things. This is what I think about all day. Nicknames and Gay Baseball. It's no wonder I'm 25 and still living at home.

faneidde
02-12-2004, 01:05 AM
That line about Konerko has me laughing as hard as I've ever laughed an internet posting. Absolutely hilarious.

StillMissOzzie
02-12-2004, 04:18 AM

It's pretty funny that you use the term pet-names. I think Steve Dahl hit it right on the head. Listening to Hawk and D.J. call a game is like listening to "Gay Baseball." Quite possibly the funniest line I ever heard him utter. Me and my roomate in college used to just sit there and pick out anything that remotely represented Gay Baseball. That made the games interesting.

Getting off-topic, but you've reminded me of a Hawk & Wimpy topic that I have always wondered about. Whenever Cecil Fielder came up, Hawk would say, "And here's your buddy, Cecil Fielder", to which Wimpy would always reply "FRIEND!", in a stern voice. I always wondered whether Hawk was outing Cecil. Does anyone else remember this and have any ideas?

SMO
:gulp:

WillieHarris12
02-12-2004, 07:05 AM
Donn Pall is a good friend of my Dad. He's given me pitching lessons before. He's a really great guy.

Irishlawyer
02-12-2004, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30

I think he was referring to Greg Norton, not Tony Graffanino. I know, undersized, no-power utiltiy infielders... if you've seen one, you've seen em all.

Irishlawyer
02-12-2004, 09:08 AM
So what are some other nicknames we can give these players.

How about "sucko". Pick any player without a current nickname and I'd say it fits.

MikeKreevich
02-12-2004, 09:32 AM
Isn't Aaron Rowand's nickname "Crash"? If it isn't, it should be.

Baby Fisk
02-12-2004, 10:00 AM
How come Hawk's nickname for Robin Ventura was "Robin"? Everytime he'd be up, Hawk would just say: "And here's Robin..."

How come Ventura didn't get a nickname? Or am I just blanking out on what it was?

RichFitztightly
02-12-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk

How come Ventura didn't get a nickname? Or am I just blanking out on what it was?

Me and my brother were going over that a while back. I don't remember Robin having a pet-name either. I guess it's unique enough that he didn't need one. But everytime I hear his name uttered, my mind goes to the line from Tom Petty's Free Falling "Ventura Boulevard.... And I'm FFFFFFRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE -- FREE FFAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLING"

Getting off-topic, but you've reminded me of a Hawk & Wimpy topic that I have always wondered about. Whenever Cecil Fielder came up, Hawk would say, "And here's your buddy, Cecil Fielder", to which Wimpy would always reply "FRIEND!", in a stern voice. I always wondered whether Hawk was outing Cecil. Does anyone else remember this and have any ideas?

I vaguely remember that exchange. I seem to think it was a Goonies reference. I.E. equating Cecil Fielder with Sloth from the Goonies. I don't know, just a guess.

Yorke97
02-12-2004, 12:47 PM
He should've called Robin "The Boy Wonder."

akingamongstmen
02-12-2004, 12:49 PM
I love "Chico" for Valentin...he NEEDS a nickname (and "Hose" doesn't count, Hawk).

Other Suggestions:
Damaso "El Diablo" Marte ... His first name causes Hawk too many problems, and "El Diablo" is pretty intimidating.

"Happy" Kelly Wunsch ... He's always prancing around with a dumb grin on his face. Have you seen him trot in from the bullpen?

Foulke You
02-12-2004, 12:58 PM
More Hawk names:

Miguel Olivo- "Big Mo"
DJ- "Dennis the Menace"
Ray Durham- "Ray Ray"
Liu Rodriguez- "Little Liu"
James Baldwin- "JB"
Norberto Martin- "Paco"
Rocky Biddle- "Rockmeister"

mantis1212
02-12-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
More Hawk names:

Miguel Olivo- "Big Mo"
DJ- "Dennis the Menace"
Ray Durham- "Ray Ray"
Liu Rodriguez- "Little Liu"
James Baldwin- "JB"
Norberto Martin- "Paco"
Rocky Biddle- "Rockmeister"

I thought A.J. Pierzinksi was Dennis the Menace? "The Milkman" was always my favorite...

beckett21
02-12-2004, 01:56 PM
Greg Hibbard, "the little bulldog"

chisox56
02-12-2004, 03:13 PM
George "Taco" Bell

Hangar18
02-12-2004, 03:25 PM
Ive been calling Willie Harris......South Side Willie

RichFitztightly
02-12-2004, 04:31 PM
OK, This is what I like so far:

Jose Valentine -- "Chico"
"El Diablo" Marte
"South Side" Willie Harris or Willie "Mayes Hayes" Harris or "Box Car" Willie
"Crash" Rowand
Juan "Urebate" after watching him play
"Mr. Zero-san"
"Burly-mon"

jshanahanjr
02-12-2004, 05:54 PM
Wasn't Robin know as 'sweet swingin' by Hawk?

mikef1331
02-12-2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by mantis1212
I thought A.J. Pierzinksi was Dennis the Menace? "The Milkman" was always my favorite...

Ah, "The Milkman"... That brings back some memories. In 2000 my Dad and I made a sign for "fan appreciation day" that looked like a milk carton and on it we had a picture of "the milkman" that we modified on the computer to make it look like he had a milk-mustache and underneath the picture it said "Got Milkman?". When we went in line to get his autograph... Norton spotted it right away and started cracking up and he ran over to Perry to point it out... when when finally got to the front all the players in the area were cracking up including Perry. My Mom taped the game for us.. and during the game Hawk and DJ talked about the sign and said it was the best one they had seen all year. I've got that sign around here somewhere, if I find it I'll try and post a pic of it.

Carolina Kenny
02-12-2004, 07:00 PM
For Robin Ventura he was always saying, "he's notta too fast" in a fake italian accent. I gues he's notta too fast was his nickname.

I believe he called Fisk "the commander"

Joey Cora was ," Joey,Joey, Joey"

Jack Mcdowell was Black Jack

Tim Raines was "Rock"

Steve Sax was "Saxey"

I think the names have stopped since "wimpy" left

mantis1212
02-12-2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by mikef1331
Ah, "The Milkman"... That brings back some memories. In 2000 my Dad and I made a sign for "fan appreciation day" that looked like a milk carton and on it we had a picture of "the milkman" that we modified on the computer to make it look like he had a milk-mustache and underneath the picture it said "Got Milkman?". When we went in line to get his autograph... Norton spotted it right away and started cracking up and he ran over to Perry to point it out... when when finally got to the front all the players in the area were cracking up including Perry. My Mom taped the game for us.. and during the game Hawk and DJ talked about the sign and said it was the best one they had seen all year. I've got that sign around here somewhere, if I find it I'll try and post a pic of it.

That's awesome! Let's see the pic

SSN721
02-13-2004, 08:47 AM
"Paulie went in there and smoked that pole" -- DJ talking about Konerko (ahem- P.K. Ripper) after he slid into the pole of the camera well.

Aw man, I almost fell off my chair, that is friggin hilarious. :D: I know it has been said on this board sometimes but I dont know who originally came up with it, but I really like Willie "Hollywood" Harris.

Fungo
02-13-2004, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Carolina Kenny
For Robin Ventura he was always saying, "he's notta too fast" in a fake italian accent. I gues he's notta too fast was his nickname.

I believe he called Fisk "the commander"

Joey Cora was ," Joey,Joey, Joey"

Jack Mcdowell was Black Jack

Tim Raines was "Rock"

Steve Sax was "Saxey"

I think the names have stopped since "wimpy" left
I thought Joey Cora was "the Jockey"

Baby Fisk
02-13-2004, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by jshanahanjr
In his heyday season when he flirted with .400, John Olerud was called "Sweet Swingin Johnny O", in Toronto anyway.

surfdudes
02-13-2004, 10:33 AM
OK, This is what I like so far:

Jose Valentine -- "Chico"
"El Diablo" Marte
"South Side" Willie Harris or Willie "Mayes Hayes" Harris or "Box Car" Willie
"Crash" Rowand
Juan "Urebate" after watching him play
"Mr. Zero-san"
"Burly-mon"

Don't forget ELo, the takeoff on JLo,
for Estebam Loaiza

guillen4life13
02-13-2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by surfdudes
[BEstebam Loaiza [/B]

Who the hell is he?

Man Soo Lee
02-14-2004, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by StillMissOzzie

I remember Hawk joking about Fielder and Wimpy having similar body types because of their ample backsides. He'd refer to Fielder as "Wimpy's buddy, Cecil" and "Wimpy's body, Cecil", leading to Paciorek's correction. It was like when Hawk would call any fat player "Dan Jiggetts' favorite".

surfdudes
02-14-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
Who the hell is he?
Stephen Loaiza, sorry I did not spell his name correctly, Su hijo de la "gren" callajera.

batmanZoSo
02-16-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by akingamongstmen
I love "Chico" for Valentin...he NEEDS a nickname (and "Hose" doesn't count, Hawk).

Other Suggestions:
Damaso "El Diablo" Marte ... His first name causes Hawk too many problems, and "El Diablo" is pretty intimidating.

"Happy" Kelly Wunsch ... He's always prancing around with a dumb grin on his face. Have you seen him trot in from the bullpen?

I think Wunsch's name should be 'Elta Skelta because he's such a trippy guitar player.

Brian26
02-16-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by jshanahanjr

Yes, good call.

Brian26
02-16-2004, 10:19 PM
IIt's pretty funny that you use the term pet-names. I think Steve Dahl hit it right on the head. Listening to Hawk and D.J. call a game is like listening to "Gay Baseball."

Actually, do you know what's REALLY gay?

Listening to Steve Dahl talk about baseball.

Or any sport, really. I love it when he talks about how he grew up as a "Dodger fan".