PDA

View Full Version : So who's it going to be this year?

sas1974
02-11-2004, 02:42 PM
Last year's effort cost us Royce Ring and a handful of others.

Let's say that the current roster has enough in it to contend for the division before the trade deadline....then what?

Who among our prospects do they plan on trading away this year for a player that they are only renting for a couple of months?

rdivaldi
02-11-2004, 03:56 PM
It really depends on the team that we're trading with, but I don't think most of our prospects fall in the untradeable category. KW probably wouldn't want to part with Reed, Honel, and some of our younger outfield talent. He probably wouldn't want to part with Valido either.

We really didn't lose much last year. Ring might be a future left-handed setup guy, but not much more. Rupe and Webster have talent, but haven't performed above A ball, and the rest were basically scrubs.

sas1974
02-11-2004, 04:02 PM
Well that's kind of my point...

No, we may not have given away a ton of talent last year, but we did give away "trade-able" players. Since their master plan seems to be to go w/ what we have and then make mid-season trades to make a playoff run, my question is:

Who do we have left that we would consider parting with that anyone would even want?

RichFitztightly
02-11-2004, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by sas1974

Who do we have left that we would consider parting with that anyone would even want?

We have a few people that other organizations could use. As far as having anyone another team will lust over... probably not. I'm sure there will be a team or two that will use salaries as a basis for trading somebody. In that case I think we'll be fine.

What worries me is that I hope we don't have to get horribly bad to start stock piling high draft picks like the Cubs did. I hope we'll be competitive and as it looks now, I think we will be competitive for a little bit now.

rdivaldi
02-11-2004, 04:16 PM
Well, guys like Ginter, Pacheco, Stewart, Sanders, & Meaux have value as pitching prospects. All have shown flashes at one point or another, and I really wouldn't miss any of them except Ginter (due to his talent level). I don't think KW would want to trade away the more promising arms at the lowest levels (McCarthy, Rodriguez, & Haigwood), but might trade guys in A Ball who show some promise (Lamura, Hummel, Miller, Reynoso, etc.)

Our positional players are a different story. It seems as though we have one A+ guy (Reed), one high ceiling guy who has struggled(Borchard), a bunch of very promising youngsters that haven't played above Rookie Ball (Anderson, Sweeney, Valido, Young, Nanita, Gray, Bounds), and a ton of scrubs.

I think the fact that our low A team was so horrible puts us in a bad light.

sas1974
02-11-2004, 04:22 PM
I guess I can see a few folks among those you've listed that would fit the bill and I am sure there are a few more as well. I just can't help but get a little nervous when their plan seems to be to obtain talent via mid-season trade instead of just going out to get it. I don't think our system is as deep as it was a few years ago and I would hate to see them trade away too much young talent for 3 month rent-a-players that they don't end up signing.

rdivaldi
02-11-2004, 04:36 PM
I'm with you when it comes to trading away young talent, it always makes me itchy. But prospects are just that, prospects. For every superstar there are 50 busts.

I think the farm system has almost as much depth as it did a couple of years ago, except the strength has switched from pitching to hitting. There were a lot of heads turned in Rookie Ball last year, as balls were leaving the yard quite often in Bristol and Great Falls (from our hitting that is). It will be very interesting to see how these guys perform in Kannapolis, it would be nice to field a real team there instead of the embarrassment that was there in 2003.

It will also be interesting to see how some of the pitchers rebound from their injuries. I'm curious to see if Malone and Stumm can once again regain the forms that made them coveted by most teams.

depy48
02-11-2004, 05:14 PM
carlos castillo

A. Cavatica
02-11-2004, 07:55 PM
Borchard. Unless he opens eyes this spring.

SoxxoS
02-11-2004, 08:38 PM
I we would have traded all our "pitching studs" at the right time...when everyone and their mom was talking about:

Kip Wells
Jon Garland
Dan Wright
Matt Ginter
Josh Fogg
Aaron Myette
Jon Rauch

(Fill in the rest..)

Who knows what could have happened. Some teams would have gave an arm and a leg for those guys. Hindsight is 20/20, but that is my point. A LOT of guys with big potential don't make it, so trading for talent using some of the players we have is not a huge loss.