PDA

View Full Version : Study: Sox fans poorest, least interested

MarqSox
02-11-2004, 12:28 PM
Not sure exactly how to interpret this. (http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/1076504751295140.xml)
Some findings from a 2003 study commissioned by the Cactus League Baseball Association:

The Rockies and Brewers had the highest percentage of male fans (74 percent); the Angels had the greatest percentage of female fans (48 percent).

Fans of the Kansas City Royals were the oldest (51.8 years); Angels fans were the youngest (36.3).

Giants fans had the highest household income ($76,800); Chicago White Sox fans had the lowest ($48,100).

The Mariners drew the highest percentage of out-of-state fans (68 percent); other than the Arizona Diamondbacks, the White Sox had the lowest (28 percent).

KingXerxes
02-11-2004, 12:32 PM
Reinsdorf is in a big jam because the economics of the game of baseball have blown past his fan base's ability to pay for it. The fact that half-price nights are packed is a testament to that.

The bigger question is what can be done to counter it.

bestkosher
02-11-2004, 12:37 PM
the only thing that maybe could be done is appealing to more out of state fans using the national media and then hyping the stadium to be a chapel or a palace of baseball, and then offer charter bus service from other states to your stadiums for free .

KingXerxes
02-11-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by bestkosher
the only thing that maybe could be done is appealing to more out of state fans using the national media and then hyping the stadium to be a chapel or a palace of baseball, and then offer charter bus service from other states to your stadiums for free .

Didn't he do that once a few years ago when he ran ads in the Cleveland Plain-Dealer advertising "Indian's Games" at Comiskey Park?

CubKilla
02-11-2004, 12:40 PM
I thought we were the rowdiest and most dangeous to be around too?

ewokpelts
02-11-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Not sure exactly how to interpret this. (http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/1076504751295140.xml)

That's a cactus league survey. It's looking at spring training customers. Sox fans may be "poorest" cuz they dont fly out to Tuscon and drop a lot of money like the flub fans do in Mesa.
Gene

mantis1212
02-11-2004, 12:47 PM
I think this is strictly a survey of fans attending spring training. Sox seem to have the lowest number of fans attending spring training (least interested as you said). The income level I think is ALSO from just spring training fans.
With that data, you could conclude that the White Sox fans are the ones sacrificing the most to attend spring training, therefore making them the most interested...

eh? eh? how does that sound?

MarqSox
02-11-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by mantis1212
I think this is strictly a survey of fans attending spring training. Sox seem to have the lowest number of fans attending spring training (least interested as you said). The income level I think is ALSO from just spring training fans.
With that data, you could conclude that the White Sox fans are the ones sacrificing the most to attend spring training, therefore making them the most interested...

Sounds like quite a reach.

bestkosher
02-11-2004, 12:53 PM
my shuttle idea got me thinking, what if the sox fans offered shuttle service to the far away suburbs like addison, for example les ay the bus picked fans up for lets say 5-6 bucks a head then drove them to the game and brought them there an hour early and then picked them up after the game and returned them home.

I think this idea has merit for It gets rid of the worry of contruction on the ryan or stevenson, and it is cheaper than parking at comiskey and the sox will make a profit off it so it is viable

it could be called the go go sox mobile

poorme
02-11-2004, 12:56 PM
One time I was in Tucson during spring training. It was before the games started, but I went to camp to go watch the workouts. I was the only single person there! I had to go to the main office to get someone to open the gate so I could park in the lot by the workout fields.

ewokpelts
02-11-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by poorme
One time I was in Tucson during spring training. It was before the games started, but I went to camp to go watch the workouts. I was the only single person there! I had to go to the main office to get someone to open the gate so I could park in the lot by the workout fields.

that's kinda funny..mebbe tuscon's a cubs town too?
Gene

bestkosher
02-11-2004, 12:59 PM
pick up destinations could be from Dave and Busters in Addison Gameworks in schaumburg, and other big adult entertainment spots, not the Admirial, this in a way kill two birds with one stone, it gets rid of the excuse of what is there to do before and after the game, and the transportation issue and if marketed corrrectly with those institutions it could provide some really good PR, such as autograph signings there and specials linked to the White sox and those businesses

ewokpelts
02-11-2004, 01:00 PM
my shuttle idea got me thinking, what if the sox fans offered shuttle service to the far away suburbs like addison, for example les ay the bus picked fans up for lets say 5-6 bucks a head then drove them to the game and brought them there an hour early and then picked them up after the game and returned them home.

I think this idea has merit for It gets rid of the worry of contruction on the ryan or stevenson, and it is cheaper than parking at comiskey and the sox will make a profit off it so it is viable

Good Idea! Tood bad Jerry'll say that it'll cost too much to buy a bus.
Gene

CubKilla
02-11-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
Gene

:chimp

"It's a Cubs WORLD!!!!!

doctor30th
02-11-2004, 01:10 PM

The cubs play in Mesa don't they?

SoxxoS
02-11-2004, 01:13 PM
They are going to have one more out of stater next year, when they move to Tempe!!!!

I wouldn't take a trip to Tucscon, it's horrible. Come up North!

There are so many Chicagoans down here for the winter (snowbirds) and some that just moved for the hell of it...we know the majority of these people are Cubs fans.

I am taking a "research methods class" at the moment, and this survey seems flawed. I would like to see that actual study.

MarqSox
02-11-2004, 01:45 PM

When I lived out in the western burbs (Villa Park), I would have absolutely taken advantage of this -- probably on a weekly basis. If they marketed it right (which, of course, wouldn't happen) they could turn it into a real destination for the suburban high school crowd, which is dying for something to do but which often doesn't have transportation capabilities. There's always public trans, but taking Pace to Metra to the El is expensive and is more effort than it's worth, let me tell you.

Baby Fisk
02-11-2004, 02:02 PM
Now, I'm not a pollster but I play one on TV. This survey sample is ludicrous and its findings pointless. This story has ZERO CREDIBILITY.

steff
02-11-2004, 02:04 PM
Obviously this is not accounting fans here in Illinois.. with the ticket prices a Sox fan has to make at least $50K a year... :D:

maurice
02-11-2004, 02:22 PM
The income level I think is ALSO from just spring training fans.

Given the numbers, it must be. Otherwise, baseball fans would need to be much wealthier than the general population, which is extremely unlikely. OTOH, it's not surprising to learn that folks who spend their spring in S. Arizona are wealthier than the general population.

sas1974
02-11-2004, 02:38 PM
Who did they poll? ASU students and 80 year-olds on fixed incomes?

ewokpelts
02-11-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by doctor30th
The cubs play in Mesa don't they?

i was being sarcastic

ewokpelts
02-11-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
When I lived out in the western burbs (Villa Park), I would have absolutely taken advantage of this -- probably on a weekly basis. If they marketed it right (which, of course, wouldn't happen) they could turn it into a real destination for the suburban high school crowd, which is dying for something to do but which often doesn't have transportation capabilities. There's always public trans, but taking Pace to Metra to the El is expensive and is more effort than it's worth, let me tell you.

yeah...it wouldnt hurt to get some kids in the park, eh?
Gene

ChiSoxBobette
02-11-2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
Reinsdorf is in a big jam because the economics of the game of baseball have blown past his fan base's ability to pay for it. The fact that half-price nights are packed is a testament to that.

The bigger question is what can be done to counter it.

What he should do is say the hell with it and really try to bring a world series to the Southside of Chicago by whatever means possible, if he has to buy who cares. He seems to be stuck with just being content as a sports team owner and not a sports team owner who year in and year out gives his team the very best chance to get to a world series the Sox need an owner like the guy the Dallas Mavericks have. The worst thing to happen to the White Sox last year was the Marlins winning the World Series with the payroll they had. Now JR thinks he can do it , so get ready for another 5 year(or longer) plan.

GO WHITE SOX!

ode to veeck
02-11-2004, 02:55 PM
I was in Mesa early this morning and didn't see no stinkin Flubs fans!

SoxxoS
02-11-2004, 03:13 PM
I am seeing a lot of Sox stuff on the ASU campus lately, but as we know, most are not fans, the stuff is just fashionable.

When the Cubs made the playoffs, the amount of brand new cubs stuff on campus was sickening.

We'll see how many fans there are in Tempe when the Sox move their facility here next year. Thank gosh.

A. Cavatica
02-11-2004, 03:38 PM
I'd never go to ST in Arizona. I miss the days when we trained in Florida.

ewokpelts
02-11-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
I am seeing a lot of Sox stuff on the ASU campus lately, but as we know, most are not fans, the stuff is just fashionable.

When the Cubs made the playoffs, the amount of brand new cubs stuff on campus was sickening.

We'll see how many fans there are in Tempe when the Sox move their facility here next year. Thank gosh.

Tempe? When'd this happen?
Gene

KingXerxes
02-11-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by ChiSoxBob
What he should do is say the hell with it and really try to bring a world series to the Southside of Chicago by whatever means possible, if he has to buy who cares. He seems to be stuck with just being content as a sports team owner and not a sports team owner who year in and year out gives his team the very best chance to get to a world series the Sox need an owner like the guy the Dallas Mavericks have. The worst thing to happen to the White Sox last year was the Marlins winning the World Series with the payroll they had. Now JR thinks he can do it , so get ready for another 5 year(or longer) plan.

GO WHITE SOX!

The problem Reinsdorf has is this:

He needs to present a product which will cause fans to more readily part with their money to see the team (obviously). I agree with ChiSoxBob that the quickest and possibly only way to do that at this point is to tool up to win. I am confident that the White Sox would draw 3 million easily if that were the case. The problem is that Reinsdorf doesn't believe it as much as I do, and doesn't consider the risk to be worth it. He seems to think that weird marketing and "personalities" will carry the day for his club. Therefor we are at loggerheads which can only be solved by REINSDORF UNLOADING THE TEAM.

steff
02-11-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS

I don't think this is happening until '06. And I also believe they are moving to Pheonix not Tempe.

SEALgep
02-11-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by steff
I don't think this is happening until '06. And I also believe they are moving to Pheonix not Tempe. Actually it's going to be the Angels old stadium. Tempe is the same thing as Phoenix pretty much, they are right next to each other.

MRKARNO
02-11-2004, 05:42 PM
I would be willing to go to Tempe because I have family in Scottsdale, but Tuscon is just irrational. I'd be much more likely to go to Tempe

steff
02-11-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Actually it's going to be the Angels old stadium. Tempe is the same thing as Phoenix pretty much, they are right next to each other.

From what I understand Jerry is pushing for a new facility which is why they are not moving until '06.

There is no deal signed as of yet that I have seen reported.

SEALgep
02-11-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by steff
From what I understand Jerry is pushing for a new facility which is why they are not moving until '06.

There is no deal signed as of yet that I have seen reported. I thought I read it was going to be the Angels stadium, but it would be even better if we had a new one. I hope that's the case.

steff
02-11-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
I thought I read it was going to be the Angels stadium, but it would be even better if we had a new one. I hope that's the case.

I don't recall if that was the initial plan or not. I do know that contracts with Starr Pass have to be signed this year to guarantee next year so we'll know for sure if they're moving or not in a couple months.

batmanZoSo
02-11-2004, 07:36 PM

You're right. There's no way the average Giant fan makes 76,000 a year. I don't care how high the cost of living is in San Francisco. And the 48,000 figure seems pretty high for us, too. Those look like vacationers incomes if I've ever seen em.

soxwon
02-11-2004, 10:49 PM
you can grab a charter to wrigley from hooters in schaumburg, plus get a coupon for wings.