PDA

View Full Version : MLB.com is ready to declare the AL Central...

Baby Fisk
02-11-2004, 10:45 AM
Shock! Horror!

link to MLB.com (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20040211&content_id=634637&vkey=spt2004news&fext=.jsp)

Maximo
02-11-2004, 10:52 AM
I'd say it's a fair assessment for all 5 teams.

Fisk Fan
02-11-2004, 10:56 AM
Might as well give them the trophy now....

mantis1212
02-11-2004, 10:58 AM
We've been the favorite for three straight years, this is fine by me...

CubKilla
02-11-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Fisk Fan
Might as well give them the trophy now....

Have the Sox done anything to garner AL Central "favorite" status this offseason or in '01, '02, and '03?

Lip Man 1
02-11-2004, 12:40 PM
Can't argue with what they said, third place looks about right.

Lip

JRIG
02-11-2004, 12:48 PM
How can MLB.com be so negative about the team? We haven't even played a game yet!

SoxxoS
02-11-2004, 01:16 PM
We play better as the underdogs, unless you are talking about the playoffs, of course.

sas1974
02-11-2004, 01:28 PM
Maybe this will help take some pressure off of them and our new manager.

doublem23
02-11-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Can't argue with what they said, third place looks about right.

Lip

First, second, or third place looks right for any of the Top teams in the division. This really is a toss-up.

Rocklive99
02-11-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Have the Sox done anything to garner AL Central "favorite" status this offseason or in '01, '02, and '03?

I thought last year's offseason was pretty good

chisoxmike
02-11-2004, 04:16 PM
... but, it's a pretty fair review of the team going into spring training

On first glance, this IS a second or third place team. No questions. It's the Sox job to surprise everyone this season.
I would've thought they'd pick the Royals as #1 and Twins #2, but that's just me.

Anway, just like every other media outlet, the White Sox are hated, so what mlb.com picks the Twins. We've been picked to win ever since 2000.

(Did anyone notice that they picked the final records for the AL East but not central)

I GUARANTEE YOU they pick the Cubs to win the NL Central.

ND_Sox_Fan
02-11-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by chisoxmike

They pick the Cubs and not the Astros, they lose all credibility. Oh I forgot, Jesus and God (Prior and Wood) pitch for the Cubs. My bad.

steff
02-11-2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla

Made good use of kneepads, obviously :D:

doublem23
02-11-2004, 05:55 PM

On first glance, this IS a second or third place team. No questions. It's the Sox job to surprise everyone this season.
I would've thought they'd pick the Royals as #1 and Twins #2, but that's just me.

Ah, the Sox are no more a third-place team than the Royals or Twins. I don't know if everyone is just overestimating them or underestimating us... I suppose that's just the natural preoccupation we have around these parts with pessimism. Look at Kansas City or Minnesota's rosters and tell me why I should be scared.

hold2dibber
02-11-2004, 08:04 PM
Anway, just like every other media outlet, the White Sox are hated, so what mlb.com picks the Twins. We've been picked to win ever since 2000.

So mlb.com picked the Sox to finish 3rd because it "hates" the Sox? Do you really believe that? I suppose that you could make an argument that they'll be better than the Twins and Royals, but its pretty much a toss up and if you look at how things finished last year, then look at what has happened this offseason, there's plenty of reason to think the Sox will finish third.

And it seems a bit incongruous to argue that the media must hate the Sox since they're picked to finish third, but in the same paragraph note that the media has picked the Sox to win in each of the last 3 years. Did they just start hating us now?

My point is, while I do agree that the Sox are generally overlooked, to suggest that they're "hated" by the media is, IMHO, nuts.

sas1974
02-12-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
So mlb.com picked the Sox to finish 3rd because it "hates" the Sox? Do you really believe that? I suppose that you could make an argument that they'll be better than the Twins and Royals, but its pretty much a toss up and if you look at how things finished last year, then look at what has happened this offseason, there's plenty of reason to think the Sox will finish third.

And it seems a bit incongruous to argue that the media must hate the Sox since they're picked to finish third, but in the same paragraph note that the media has picked the Sox to win in each of the last 3 years. Did they just start hating us now?

My point is, while I do agree that the Sox are generally overlooked, to suggest that they're "hated" by the media is, IMHO, nuts.

Yes, I think to say that we're hated is a bit much. We are overlooked at times, but it's for many of the same reasons that people complain about here. Like it or not, being as mediocre as we have been, you're not going to get at lot of attention. You either have to be really good or really bad. I would venture to guess that the Tigers probably got more play on ESPN last year than we did, but I would rather get no "pub" than that kind of "pub."

akingamongstmen
02-12-2004, 11:55 AM
I don't know if anyone should predict the "winner" of the AL Central. It's less about winning, and more about not sucking as spectacularly as the other teams.

NotSince1917
02-12-2004, 12:10 PM

(Did anyone notice that they picked the final records for the AL East but not central)

Prediction: MLB.com picks the Astros as the NL Central favorites with the Cubs winning the NL Wild Card.

Astros earn "favorite" status over Flubs because of Pettitte/Clemens and offense.

kempsted
02-12-2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by NotSince1917
Prediction: MLB.com picks the Astros as the NL Central favorites with the Cubs winning the NL Wild Card.

Astros earn "favorite" status over Flubs because of Pettitte/Clemens and offense.
No way the wild card comes out of the Central for either division. MLB.com will have to pick whether they are falling for the Cubbie nonsense or go with the more sensible Houston pick but no way either is picked to win the wild card

mike squires
02-12-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
First, second, or third place looks right for any of the Top teams in the division. This really is a toss-up.

:D: :D: There's a top team in this division?

sas1974
02-12-2004, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
:D: :D: There's a top team in this division?

It's all relative of course. Kinda like being the tallest midget. :D:

SoxFan76
02-12-2004, 08:47 PM
That was a very fair assesment. Although I don't agree with a 3rd place finish, I respect the writer's choice.

The media does not hate the Sox. They just ignore us. When an owner is content with mediocrity, that's what happens. Only the really bad teams (Tigers, Brewers, and the Cubs for the longest time) and the really good teams (Bo Sox (I know they can't win a WS, but they are always a contender), Yankees) get publicity. sas is right about the Sox getting less publicity than the Tigers. But remember, the Tigers were also shooting for the record books last year. But it is true, crappy teams do get more publicity than average teams.

SSN721
02-13-2004, 09:03 AM
This division is a total crapshoot, very hard to predict who will come out on top. I think some players will have to have career seasons but if they do the Sox could easily take the division. But if not I could see the Twins or the Royals taking it as well. The thing with the Royals I just dont see how thier pitching will be much better at all this year. I know the Sox and the Twins are weaker this season but I dont think to the point either have worse staffs or bullpens. I dont know. I think any of the three could come out on top, obviously gonna be pulling for the Sox but hope that they show some kind of spark from the start of the season like the Royals did last year. :D:

Procol Harum
02-13-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Look at Kansas City or Minnesota's rosters and tell me why I should be scared.

Don't look at theirs--terror will strike your heart when you look at ours! 3rd place sounds about right to me.