PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable, Players Begging?


soxin03
02-10-2004, 11:38 PM
Almost unbelievable... Almost. The Chairman ******** has the cohonies to ask the players to pan handle the season ticket holders. Whatever happened to earning respect and loyalty.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug02.html

danjames
02-10-2004, 11:47 PM
Oh Please. It's like some people just beg for reasons to be negative about the organization. The team has done similar things the last 2-3 seasons at least, as a way for the players to reach out to fans. I really don't see the problem with it at all! If Joe Crede wants to call me and tell me to pick up some season tickets, I'll listen a little longer than if Suzy Q. is pushing the same deal.

dllrbll7
02-10-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by soxin03
Almost unbelievable... Almost. The Chairman ******** has the cohonies to ask the players to pan handle the season ticket holders. Whatever happened to earning respect and loyalty.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug02.html

They do that every offseason if i remember correctly. They usually get on the news making the calls.

ChiSox7
02-10-2004, 11:50 PM
Many players from many different organizations call season ticket holders during the offseason to try and get them to renew. This isn't a new thing.

dpbyron
02-11-2004, 12:54 AM
For some reason I can remember Brooke Fordyce doing it before the 2000 season. Then of course he was TRADED right in the middle of the race!

Dadawg_77
02-11-2004, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by dpbyron
For some reason I can remember Brooke Fordyce doing it before the 2000 season. Then of course he was TRADED right in the middle of the race!


He forgot A.B.C. and didn't meat the quota.

thepaulbowski
02-11-2004, 09:14 AM
Geez, people complain about the marketing dept, then when they try market their product people complain.

I remember a story about (I think it was last football season) Michael Vick & some other Falcons were calling season ticket holders thanking them for their support. Jeez, how low could they go? Calling the people that help pay their salaries.

sas1974
02-11-2004, 09:19 AM
It's not a new concept for them and I don't see a problem with it at all. Is Joe Crede going to talk me into buying tickets if I wasn't planing on it in the first place? No, but I think it's a creative marketing tactic and it's nice to see them making an effort.

Hangar18
02-11-2004, 11:09 AM
Why doesnt Jerry Reinsdorf HIMSELF call some of the Season Ticket Holders who HAVE YET TO PONY UP for this season?
Id Love to Chat with him in person. Mr Reinsdorf, you have my number on file .............Id love to speak with you this afternoon
Regarding my Season Tickets for 2004

sas1974
02-11-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Why doesnt Jerry Reinsdorf HIMSELF call some of the Season Ticket Holders who HAVE YET TO PONY UP for this season?
Id Love to Chat with him in person. Mr Reinsdorf, you have my number on file .............Id love to speak with you this afternoon
Regarding my Season Tickets for 2004

He called my dad when he decided not to renew after the White Flag trade. My dad wrote to the Times to tell them exactly why he wasn't renewing and the letter ended up in an executive meeting. He called our house and my dad got a chance to tell him why he wasn't renewing.

CubKilla
02-11-2004, 11:53 AM
I just hope some PO'ed Sox fan doesn't paste the players that are going to be calling. It's not their fault that JR is cheap, that Einhorn is a doof, and KW is inept.

CubKilla
02-11-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Why doesnt Jerry Reinsdorf HIMSELF call some of the Season Ticket Holders who HAVE YET TO PONY UP for this season?
Id Love to Chat with him in person. Mr Reinsdorf, you have my number on file .............Id love to speak with you this afternoon
Regarding my Season Tickets for 2004

:reinsy

"Can I call you collect?"

ewokpelts
02-11-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
:reinsy

"Can I call you collect?"

That's sick, but funny.....
Gene

sas1974
02-11-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
:reinsy

"Can I call you collect?"

Or maybe he'll wait until after 9pm when his US cellular minutes are free.

steff
02-11-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
Or maybe he'll wait until after 9pm when his US cellular minutes are free.


They're free at 7 now.. :D:

sas1974
02-11-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by steff
They're free at 7 now.. :D:

I thought that was just Sprint? I can see him yelling like on the commercial, "It's 7 o'clock!!"

soxin03
02-11-2004, 03:17 PM
My point is that the Chairman won't make an effort to make an average team better so that the fans will want to come out. Calling people and thanking them is one thing. That's not what he's doing. He's having the player use their fame as a power to get the ticket holders to renew. Truth is, the organization realizes that the Sox fans understand what it takes to win. The fans are getting tired of losing and not making an effort to win. I for one was tired of hearing the cries from the owners about attendance. While the owner and GM held on to a manager that slept thru most of last season. Managers are their to light a fire under a players a$$ and make strategy. Manuel couldn't do either. But if it doesn't bother some to watch mediocre teams play then by all means buy them tickets. But, I wish those people would go to the north side and sit with fans who don't care about winning either. If nobody showed and this jerk sold the team, tell me one Sox fan that would not celebrate the minute they heard.

doctor30th
02-11-2004, 03:31 PM
If nobody showed and this jerk sold the team, tell me one Sox fan that would not celebrate the minute they heard

I wouldn't be celebrating. If you did it that way whoever bought the team would move it somewhere else because this town would be considered a one team town since no one ever attended Sox games.

sas1974
02-11-2004, 03:42 PM
I am and have been a season ticket holder for several years now. I didn't buy tickets because Joe Crede called me up and asked me to sign up. I bought them because I am a Chicago White Sox fan. Do I wish that the money was being used to go out and snag top-dollar free agents? You bet I do. Do I wish that they would not play games w/ worthy veterans and use that money to sign them to long-term deals(Ventura and now Maggs)? Of course. I am not a fan of many of the things that Jerry Reinsdorf and his staff have done to my team, but the bottom line is that it's MY TEAM. There is nothing better than sitting in my seat (even if it's blue) on a nice sunny day w/ the smell of the grass(and onions frying), the crack of the bat and all of that cliched stuff.

soxin03
02-11-2004, 03:50 PM
That's bull. If the Sox put a winner on the field and won consistantly, the number of fans would flock to the field. Once again, most Sox fans don't go to the park to drink and be stupid. There is a urinal on the north side for that. I prefer to watch a winner. I may be in the minority, but I HATE LOSING! If,,, a big if a new owner bought the team and moved it. I would still rather celebrate a few World Series victories and watch on TV than go to a park to watch another loss. But then again, I'm a Steelers fan that has got to celebrate 4 Super Bowls. I'm as big a fan of them than most fans that go to watch their teams every week. I should ask you, Would you quit backing the Sox if they moved? My answer is- Never.

doctor30th
02-11-2004, 03:54 PM
I should ask you, Would you quit backing the Sox if they moved? My answer is- Never.

My answer is yes I would stop backing them. I don't want to see the Indianaplois or Mexico City White Sox. If they moved I would not watch baseball anymore. The team is the Chicago White Sox, if they moved my support is gone.

sas1974
02-11-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by soxin03
That's bull. If the Sox put a winner on the field and won consistantly, the number of fans would flock to the field. Once again, most Sox fans don't go to the park to drink and be stupid. There is a urinal on the north side for that. I prefer to watch a winner. I may be in the minority, but I HATE LOSING! If,,, a big if a new owner bought the team and moved it. I would still rather celebrate a few World Series victories and watch on TV than go to a park to watch another loss. But then again, I'm a Steelers fan that has got to celebrate 4 Super Bowls. I'm as big a fan of them than most fans that go to watch their teams every week. I should ask you, Would you quit backing the Sox if they moved? My answer is- Never.

I agree there would be more people there if they were winning more. And when I go and they lose, it pretty much ruins my night. But, I would still rather be at the game taking it all in than sitting at home swearing at the tv. The point is I am going to follow them no matter who owns the team. I don't go to the park to watch Jerry Reinsdorf. I go there to watch Lee, Thomas, Maggs, etc. Yes I realize the money is going in pocket and like I said, that sucks but I am not going to stop going to games and supporting the players because of it.

doctor30th
02-11-2004, 04:09 PM
Calling people and thanking them is one thing. That's not what he's doing. He's having the player use their fame as a power to get the ticket holders to renew.

I doubt the fame of people make ticket holders renew. It would only get people who where teetering on renewing or not to actually do so.

I mean its the same concept as when a actor or actress plugs a movie on a talk show too get some more fannies in the seats. I'm sure the players want more people in the stands just as much as Jerry does.

steff
02-11-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
I thought that was just Sprint? I can see him yelling like on the commercial, "It's 7 o'clock!!"



Ya know what.. I think you are right. My bad..

steff
02-11-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by soxin03
My point is that the Chairman won't make an effort to make an average team better so that the fans will want to come out. Calling people and thanking them is one thing. That's not what he's doing. He's having the player use their fame as a power to get the ticket holders to renew. Truth is, the organization realizes that the Sox fans understand what it takes to win. The fans are getting tired of losing and not making an effort to win. I for one was tired of hearing the cries from the owners about attendance. While the owner and GM held on to a manager that slept thru most of last season. Managers are their to light a fire under a players a$$ and make strategy. Manuel couldn't do either. But if it doesn't bother some to watch mediocre teams play then by all means buy them tickets. But, I wish those people would go to the north side and sit with fans who don't care about winning either. If nobody showed and this jerk sold the team, tell me one Sox fan that would not celebrate the minute they heard.



Yawn.... they have been doing this for several years now. Since '97 that I can definitely recall. Jeff Abbott had me LMAO on the phone. I know there can't be a day that goes by without some sort of whining about this team.. but c'mon. This has been done for 6 years now. :?:

ewokpelts
02-11-2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by steff
Yawn.... they have been doing this for several years now. Since '97 that I can definitely recall. Jeff Abbott had me LMAO on the phone. I know there can't be a day that goes by without some sort of whining about this team.. but c'mon. This has been done for 6 years now. :?:

During Soxfest, my ticket repd told me that Garland and Harris tried to call me the day before soxfest(i was out and about and miss thier calls) to THANK ME FOR MY PATRONAGE. Not to get me to reup(which i already did).
Gene

Daver
02-11-2004, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by doctor30th
I wouldn't be celebrating. If you did it that way whoever bought the team would move it somewhere else because this town would be considered a one team town since no one ever attended Sox games.

I have my doubts that any new owner would be able to get the approval of 29 other owners to move the franchise,because that is what it would take.The new owner would also have to buyout the lease on Comiskey Park,because to back out of it would be like an open invitation to haul MLB back to Capitol Hill to have their antitrust exemption discussed.

I think we all remember how good a job Bud did the last time he testified on Capitol Hill.

batmanZoSo
02-11-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by soxin03
Almost unbelievable... Almost. The Chairman ******** has the cohonies to ask the players to pan handle the season ticket holders. Whatever happened to earning respect and loyalty.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug02.html

Big deal. Jesus Pena and John Kruk both called me just last week. Funny, cause I'm not a season ticket holder....

soxin03
02-11-2004, 11:31 PM
hey steff,,, from what I see in the picture, you should have kept on laughing a little while longer. Oh well, keep going to game after game.. That'll show him.

steff
02-12-2004, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by soxin03
hey steff,,, from what I see in the picture, you should have kept on laughing a little while longer. Oh well, keep going to game after game.. That'll show him.



A 1 year member with 10 posts and you want to try to get personal..? Do some research first kiddo... it helps to know who you're taking on.

sas1974
02-12-2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by soxin03
hey steff,,, from what I see in the picture, you should have kept on laughing a little while longer. Oh well, keep going to game after game.. That'll show him.

Now, that's not very nice! There's no need to get personal. If you don't want to show your support by going out to the park to cheer on your team, then don't. But we the media rips Sox fans for poor attendance and they say we don't care, it's people like you that they are talking about.

soxin03
02-12-2004, 11:58 AM
It's just a good ol boy network.. a few years ago I predicted Garland would never pan out to be the pitcher most on here predicted. The good ol boys on here were sure he was on his way to great things. I was ripped up and down. How dare I venture into YOUR message board and rip Garland. I said he was to baseball what Kordell is to football... Well good ol boys, looks like I was right.
I don't see any reason to go to Comiskey other than to watch a team that I've backed strongly by attending games and buying merchadise.
Hey Steff,, did you ever meet Harry drinking Falstaff in the old Comiskey center field bleachers. Did you ever get robbed by a gang of 11 "brothers" at old Comiskey while with your little league team. I've argued with and Pi$$ed off more Cub fans in my time.
So don't come on here asking me do I know who I'm dealing with. Personal?? Your the one who came on feeling the need to call me a whiner. Sorry if I expect more from a team that I've supported for decades. Sorry if I'm just tired of hearing an organization whine about attendance, then threaten to trade what little they do have because I don't want to drive a couple hours spend $100 and watch a team come close and dive again.
I love baseball and softball. I played on 2 state champion softball teams as an adult. I proudly wore Harold Baines number on my jersey for years. My son now plays high school ball and proudly wears Frank Thomas's number on his jersey.
I'll whine about whoever and whatever I want. I'm from the country and I hate the city and the A-holes that live there. So don't give me the do you know who your messin' with crap. Just because you come on here and post 1000000 messages doesn't make you any more a Sox fan than me. Just because you have season tickets doesn't make you anymore a fan than me. I'm just not stupid enough to live within 2 hours of the hole called Chicago. Let me ask you this. If the guy who called you wasn't Abbott and was just a telemarketer would you have made conversation with him also.. and been Laughin Your A$$ off? I doubt it.. Just my point. Using starpower as a sales tool instead of just building a winner and watching the stands fill. But, the chairmans tactics are working with you so.... Sorry, I came on here with an opinion,,,,, again.
And just to make your members even madder.... Come November, I'll be backing a great american leader named George W. Bush.
C ya.....

steff
02-12-2004, 12:20 PM
So much effort for someone who's so "tired of hearing an organization whine about attendance, then threaten to trade what little they do have because I don't want to drive a couple hours spend $100 and watch a team come close and dive again."
Bla, bla, bla.... :whiner:

Hypocrite?
Nothing better to do?
Bored?
Instigator?
Antagonizer?
And my favorite..
Child.

And after the direct hit I'll add...

Ignorant and rude.

Don't like it when someone disagrees with you.. to friggin bad. Don't open yourself up to criticism of your opinion if you can't handle it. :whiner:

As for "who you're dealing with" or "who you're taking on" it refers to this board and ALL of it's members, and the way things are done around here. Sorry George and Co if I'm speaking out of turn here.. but that personal attacking bull**** has NO place here, and all it does is show the REAL mentality of the individual who must use it to make a point.

soxin03
02-12-2004, 12:29 PM
Whatever Hillary,, er Steff.

steff
02-12-2004, 12:36 PM
Shoot and run...

:troll

CHISOXFAN13
02-12-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by soxin03
Whatever Hillary,, er Steff.

I can't wait til......YOU GONE!

ewokpelts
02-12-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Daver
I have my doubts that any new owner would be able to get the approval of 29 other owners to move the franchise,because that is what it would take.The new owner would also have to buyout the lease on Comiskey Park,because to back out of it would be like an open invitation to haul MLB back to Capitol Hill to have their antitrust exemption discussed.

I think we all remember how good a job Bud did the last time he testified on Capitol Hill.

Um...Daver...didnt Bud win? They didnt lose the antitrust exemption, the only books they showed weren't "real" and they didnt get called out on it by the Hill. All he had to do was promise to try and bring a team (namely the expos) to DC.
Gene

soxin03
02-12-2004, 01:56 PM
location- Bridgeport,,,, enough said.

ewokpelts
02-12-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by soxin03
location- Bridgeport,,,, enough said.

Dude.... Chill.....just because Crede called some season ticket holders that havent renewed yet dosent mean they're begging. My company is processing the Sox season ticket orders, and let me tell you...business is strong. They may even be meeting thier renewal goals. I renewed(partial plan), not because Jon Garland and Willie Harris tried calling me. They were calling me to THANK me for renewing and sticking around. Too bad I wasnt in to take the call. Teams do all kinds of thing to retain season ticket holders, as well as sponsors and suite holders. We're thier most lucrative customers. We're no better than anyone else, we just spent more money last year. It's your perogative on how much you want to spend, or not to spend at all. I'm angry at the this organization too. AndI'll do my part to let Jerry know how I feel(find ways to go to games free or cheep). So...in the words of William Shatner.....

Get....A.....Life!
Gene

CHISOXFAN13
02-12-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by soxin03
location- Bridgeport,,,, enough said.

What exactly is wrong with Bridgegport?

You are barking up the wrong tree, my friend.

soxin03
02-12-2004, 02:59 PM
William Shatner??? Obviously Jerry drops trou and he knows who he can count on. oh yea,,Paper pusher shouldn't tell real tradesman to get a life.. In the words of Red Foreman: DUMB A$$

Daver
02-12-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by soxin03
William Shatner??? Obviously Jerry drops trou and he knows who he can count on. oh yea,,Paper pusher shouldn't tell real tradesman to get a life.. In the words of Red Foreman: DUMB A$$


In the words of Hawk Harrelson, He Gawn...........

sas1974
02-12-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Daver
In the words of Hawk Harrelson, He Gawn...........

Good call! I am all for the "other side" of the story and it's great that we all don't agree on everything(bc that would be boring), but he was getting carried away.

SSN721
02-13-2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by soxin03
location- Bridgeport,,,, enough said.

You whine and complain about criticism and personal attacks yet you pull the same crap when someone is critical of you. Very hypocritical if you ask me. That is such a ridiculous statement. You said you are from the country so does that mean I can say, "location-country,,,, enough said" as if to imply that just because someone is from the country they are uncultured, uneducated and simple folk? Of course not, it is a ridiculous stereotype just like what you are trying to infer with anyone who lives in Bridgeport. If you hate the city, thats fine, I have lived in it and close to it my entire life and I love the city of Chicago and would say I could never support any of the teams if they ended up moving to other cities. It is a matter of civic pride. I could see how you seem to have no concern at all if the White Sox move if you don't have any civic pride for the City of Chicago to begin with. Thats your opinion and I disagree but of course it is perfectly within your province to feel that way. But don't personally attack members here when they are just presenting you with constructive criticism or a sense of humor. Acting rashly is only childish, as is making statements or stereotypes about people you don't know.

ewokpelts
02-13-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by SSN721
You whine and complain about criticism and personal attacks yet you pull the same crap when someone is critical of you. Very hypocritical if you ask me. That is such a ridiculous statement. You said you are from the country so does that mean I can say, "location-country,,,, enough said" as if to imply that just because someone is from the country they are uncultured, uneducated and simple folk? Of course not, it is a ridiculous stereotype just like what you are trying to infer with anyone who lives in Bridgeport. If you hate the city, thats fine, I have lived in it and close to it my entire life and I love the city of Chicago and would say I could never support any of the teams if they ended up moving to other cities. It is a matter of civic pride. I could see how you seem to have no concern at all if the White Sox move if you don't have any civic pride for the City of Chicago to begin with. Thats your opinion and I disagree but of course it is perfectly within your province to feel that way. But don't personally attack members here when they are just presenting you with constructive criticism or a sense of humor. Acting rashly is only childish, as is making statements or stereotypes about people you don't know.

word