PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent Contracts

beckett21
02-10-2004, 09:20 PM
Just an FYI in regards to free agent contracts as of February 10th 2004. Good quick reference to see who signed where for what.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=mlb&id=1732138

soxwon
02-10-2004, 09:28 PM
i thought dean palmer retired?

beckett21
02-10-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by soxwon
i thought dean palmer retired?

Hmmm, that's odd...I too was of the understanding that he retired. Can't answer that one.

SEALgep
02-10-2004, 09:37 PM
He did retire, a week before Pudge signed. He got his number.

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-10-2004, 09:47 PM
That list is so depressing. We have 2 lines of text while teams like the royals have 7. Atleast we're beating the twins, they only have 2 FA signings compared to our 3! Hah!

tanko
02-10-2004, 09:57 PM
But we got Politte!!!!!!

fuzzy_patters
02-10-2004, 10:38 PM
KANSAS CITY (11) -- Re-signed Kevin Appier, rhp, to a $300,000, one-year contract; re-signed Brian Anderson, lhp, to a $6.5 million, two-year contract; re-signed Curtis Leskanic, rhp, to a $1,375,000, one-year contract; re-signed Joe Randa, 3b, to a $3.75 million, one-year contract; re-signed Jason Grimsley, rhp, to a $1 million, one-year contract; signed Matt Stairs, of, Pittsburgh, to a $1 million, one-year contract; signed Scott Sullivan, rhp, Chicago White Sox, to a $5 million, two-year contract; signed Benito Santiago, c, San Francisco, to a $4.3 million, two-year contract; signed Tony Graffanino, ss, Chicago White Sox, to a $2.2 million, two-year contract; signed Kelly Stinnett, c, Philadelphia, to a $500,000, one-year contract; signed Juan Gonzalez, of, Texas, to a $4.5 million, one-year contract.

Why did KC sign so many guys to one and two year deals? With Beltran's contract about to expire, it looks like they might be planning to rebuild within the next two years.

bestkosher
02-11-2004, 07:55 AM
Why did KC sign so many guys to one and two year deals? With Beltran's contract about to expire, it looks like they might be planning to rebuild within the next two years.

feels the power of Reinsdorf taking me over....nooooo..

The reason why is simple economics, although planing for the long term is good you can often sign players to one to two year deals for less omeny and take the chance of them blossimg. i.e Estaban Loiza. Also it help because many players will take less for a year to prove themselves big time and then move on to a bigger payday the folowing year. Also many big name players will ask for high amounts of money but teams will only sign them to one year delas so they can keep them year to year with out having the worry of their slary structure xploding. This is often done in th NFL with Quaterbacks

duke of dorwood
02-11-2004, 10:26 AM
Soooooooooo many teams better than your Chicago White Sox