PDA

View Full Version : another one gets away


soxwon
02-10-2004, 08:59 PM
last week i heard we might go for fred mcgriff or ellis burks, well mcgriff just signed with tampa bay, man its disheartening when a player rather play for TAMPA BAY.

WinningUgly!
02-10-2004, 09:06 PM
Got away????

McGriff signed a minor league deal. Nobody else wanted him & he's from Tampa. He'll be lucky to even make the team. All he wants is to get the 9 HRs he needs to reach 500.

dickallen15
02-10-2004, 09:07 PM
Who wants Fred McGriff? Crimedog is a perfect nickname. Its a crime he gets a paycheck and he is a dog.

Blueprint1
02-10-2004, 09:13 PM
McGriff are you crazy? I don't want him on my team at this point.

SEALgep
02-10-2004, 09:40 PM
And we were just a little too slow for Jose Offerman as well.

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-10-2004, 09:41 PM
Ugh, thankfully he's played with them before because you know they'll retire his number like they did with boggs. I wonder what hat McGriff will wear if he ever gets into the Hall of Fame.

tanko
02-10-2004, 09:58 PM
But we got Politte!!!!!!!!!

gogosoxgogo
02-10-2004, 10:16 PM
Hey, let's not go bashing the idea that we were interested in McGriff. Regardless of how old he is or how many games he missed last year, he still has the capability to be a .250/20/70 guy or so in that range. That wouldn't be all too bad. Consider if we traded Konerko or Thomas. Your backup 1B/DH is then Ross Gload. McGriff can't be any worse than that.

SEALgep
02-10-2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
Hey, let's not go bashing the idea that we were interested in McGriff. Regardless of how old he is or how many games he missed last year, he still has the capability to be a .250/20/70 guy or so in that range. That wouldn't be all too bad. Consider if we traded Konerko or Thomas. Your backup 1B/DH is then Ross Gload. McGriff can't be any worse than that. If that were the scenerio, it wouldn't be terrible. I would prefer to get Travis Lee though.

sas1974
02-10-2004, 10:30 PM
IF we would have traded Frank or Paulie, this might have made some sense, but it doesn't appear that is going to happen so I will refrain from losing any sleep over this one.

SoxOnTop
02-10-2004, 10:32 PM
Saying that McGriff could put up .250/20/70 is a stretch. And even at that, I'm pretty sure that Jose Conseco could do the same.

So please remind me why we would be upset about not getting this guy?

fuzzy_patters
02-10-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by SoxOnTop
Saying that McGriff could put up .250/20/70 is a stretch. And even at that, I'm pretty sure that Jose Conseco could do the same.

So please remind me why we would be upset about not getting this guy?

I am pretty sure that Joe Borchard could put up at least .230/30/70 (low end estimate). The slugging percentages would be about the same, and using Borchard in the outfield would allow Lee to replace a departing DH. That would be a better option than signing McGriff.

doublem23
02-10-2004, 10:48 PM
Wow, if KW was pursuing McGriff, let's be thankful he'd rather play for Piniella and the D-Rays... I know this is the American League and all, but we don't need that many options at DH. Nor 40-year-old washups hoping to solidify their argument for Cooperstown.

doublem23
02-10-2004, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by SoxOnTop
Saying that McGriff could put up .250/20/70 is a stretch. And even at that, I'm pretty sure that Jose Conseco could do the same.

So please remind me why we would be upset about not getting this guy?

Ah, yes, but Fred is allowed to play baseball games more than 150 yards away from his home. :o:

A. Cavatica
02-10-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
he still has the capability to be a .250/20/70 guy or so in that range. That wouldn't be all too bad. Consider if we traded Konerko or Thomas. Your backup 1B/DH is then Ross Gload. McGriff can't be any worse than that.

Wanna bet?

fuzzy_patters
02-10-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Ah, yes, but Fred is allowed to play baseball games more than 150 yards away from his home. :o:

Fred also has a chance at passing a steroid test, but Canseco does not.

doublem23
02-10-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
Fred also has a chance at passing a steroid test

Not if he wants to crank out those 9 homers.

pudge
02-11-2004, 01:07 AM
Man, the posts are getting more and more moronic... McGriff nearly didn't even go to the CUBS when they were in a division race because he's from TAMPA BAY.

cubhater
02-11-2004, 07:19 AM
No loss not getting McGriff. As other posters pointed out, it seems like the only reason Tampa went for him is for him to get his 500th in a Ray's uniform. Plus they need any attendance boost they can get. The Rays will probably let him go after the record just like the Sox did with Fisk, but will do it with class unlike JR.

maurice
02-11-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by SoxOnTop
Saying that McGriff could put up .250/20/70 is a stretch.

Well, he put up .249/13/40 in only 297 ABs for a very bad offensive club last year. The year before, he posted .273/30/103, so I wouldn't say that .250/20/70 is out of the question, given 500+ ABs with Tampa. He's pretty damn old, but for most of his career McGriff was an underrated, left-handed 30/100 machine who walked quite a lot.

sas1974
02-11-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by cubhater
No loss not getting McGriff. As other posters pointed out, it seems like the only reason Tampa went for him is for him to get his 500th in a Ray's uniform. Plus they need any attendance boost they can get. The Rays will probably let him go after the record just like the Sox did with Fisk, but will do it with class unlike JR.

WHOA! WHOA! WHOA! Did you say "attendance boost?" Sign him up! Think it's too late to make a trade for him? :smile:

poorme
02-11-2004, 01:38 PM
The D-Ray GM said he was just giving him a chance to play in spring training so maybe he could catch on somewhere else. He said it would be hard for him to make the roster. Not sure if he was telling the truth.

sas1974
02-11-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by poorme
The D-Ray GM said he was just giving him a chance to play in spring training so maybe he could catch on somewhere else. He said it would be hard for him to make the roster. Not sure if he was telling the truth.

Hard to make the D-ray's roster? I think their GM is delusional.

eriqjaffe
02-11-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
Hard to make the D-ray's roster? I think their GM is delusional.

Well, that quote was cut off. What he actually said was, "It'll be hard for him to make the roster any worse than it already is."

sas1974
02-11-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by eriqjaffe
Well, that quote was cut off. What he actually said was, "It'll be hard for him to make the roster any worse than it already is."

Ahh....now that's more like it.

KingXerxes
02-11-2004, 02:29 PM
McGriff was washed up three years ago.

Baby Fisk
02-11-2004, 03:06 PM
Albert Belle is still available...

[*runs away covering his head*]