PDA

View Full Version : Did the Albert Belle signing ruin the chance of the Sox signing Maggs to big money...

Medford Bobby
02-10-2004, 11:59 AM
You would think the 1996 Albert Belle signing to that huge contract would keep Reinsdorf from EVER signing Maggs to 70 plus millon dollar contract. Now I though about this for a while, and first thought the Sox would never do this........but it's possible the Sox could give him the huge contract and if the Sox tank later in the year they could trade him , like Belle in a salary dump. BUT, if the Sox do well, then I guess I'd say they keep him. It does make him easier to trade with a fixed contract, if some contender picks him up, they know they got him financially locked up. But my gut feeling is the Sox won't open up the wallet........... :(:

:hawk " I still say "HE GONE"!!!!

munchman33
02-10-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Medford Bobby
but it's possible the Sox could give him the huge contract and if the Sox tank later in the year they could trade him , like Belle in a salary dump.

We didn't trade Belle. He had an out clause that let him sign a new contract if he wasn't in the top three in the league in salary. Jerry told him to look elsewhere if he wanted more money.

steff
02-10-2004, 12:34 PM
No.

doublem23
02-10-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by steff
No.

Agreed.

pudge
02-10-2004, 02:29 PM
Nope, it's a different situation, since Maggs is a great marketing tool, he's a home-grown guy, the fans love him, etc. Plus, JR will put some kind of smart clause in there that would let him escape, so I think it can be done, just depends on what Maggs really wants.

Medford Bobby
02-10-2004, 03:00 PM
Thats what my gut feeling is saying too.....Sign him with a mutual escape clause. I can't see Maggs tanking after signing a big deal, but barring an injury, he should be continue to be productive player! :)

SoxOnTop
02-10-2004, 03:15 PM
Why would any big money fee agent ever sign with the Sox if we were to sign Maggs a huge extention and then dump him midway throughout the year?

Just picture it. There would be a lot of hoopla surrounding the signing. KW would say how Maggs would retire as a White Sox. Maggs would talk about being a contributing member of the Chicago community and leading the Sox in the WS. Then we would just dump him mid-season like a bad habit.

As dumb as our organization is, they are not quite that dumb.

voodoochile
02-10-2004, 03:22 PM
Basically yes. Belle signed a contract that he was almost sure to bail on in a couple of years and thus he made it impossible for anyone to sign a contract with JR that he absolutely guaranteed has to pay every penny of. :D:

I think the CBA and new insurance regulations also play a part in this equation...

duke of dorwood
02-10-2004, 04:07 PM
Definately not

HITMEN OF 77
02-10-2004, 04:24 PM
IMO, no it didn't hurt.

poorme
02-10-2004, 05:17 PM
What it did do is convince JR that spending money does not bring fans to the park.

HITMEN OF 77
02-10-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by poorme
What it did do is convince JR that spending money does not bring fans to the park.

That's a totally true statement.

doublem23
02-10-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by poorme

Perhaps, but if that were the case, you'd think Reinsdorf would also notice the trend that attendance ebbs and flows with the team's winning percentage.

poorme
02-10-2004, 08:15 PM
Quit talking foolishness now!