PDA

View Full Version : Do monkeys create the schedule?

sas1974
02-10-2004, 09:09 AM
Does MLB put ANY logic into designing the schedule?

The Cubs do not play the Houston Astros in all of September and do not play the St. Louis Cardinals in August or September.

The Sox have 10 games against KC and MIN in Sept.

Does that seem a bit odd to anyone else?

PINWHEELS
02-10-2004, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by sas1974

The Cubs do not play the Houston Astros in all of September and do not play the St. Louis Cardinals in August or September.

Does that seem a bit odd to anyone else? That does seem crazy, but the only explanation i can think of as far as the flubs is they have 6 teams in their division instead of 5. But on the other hand they played both teams late in the season last year. So I don't get it either?

ewokpelts
02-10-2004, 09:46 AM

While I'll concede that making 30 schedules mesh together can be a pretty fricken crazy job......you have to blame unbalanced schedules for the insanity......mind you, the sox dont play detroit until the second half.....that could be a good or bad thing....and yankees in april? oh joy
Gene

Hangar18
02-10-2004, 10:02 AM
Hmmm, or maybe MLB doesnt want anyone getting
in the way of a Good Summer Story? as in the cubs getting
to play a bunch of Triple AAA teams at the end of the year.

sas1974
02-10-2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
While I'll concede that making 30 schedules mesh together can be a pretty fricken crazy job......you have to blame unbalanced schedules for the insanity......mind you, the sox dont play detroit until the second half.....that could be a good or bad thing....and yankees in april? oh joy
Gene

I agree that it's probably a tough job to figure out the schedules for 30 teams. I am sincerely wondering if there is any kind of system in place to develop it though.

On a side note: I also agree that the unbalanced schedule is an accomplice in this one. I think it's time for that concept to die. I admit I thought it was a good idea at first, but I don't think it's working out. You can't get a true feel for how good (or bad) a team is by playing teams in your division 19 times. I also think attendance would improve w/ a little more balance to the schedule.

sas1974
02-10-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18

That's kind of what I was thinking. Conspiracy theorists could have a field day with this one.

chisoxfan79
02-10-2004, 10:33 AM
I noticed that the White Sox start and end the season in Kansas City just like last year

Rex Hudler
02-10-2004, 10:33 AM
That's kind of what I was thinking. Conspiracy theorists could have a field day with this one. Or paranoid White Sox fans?

sas1974
02-10-2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Rex Hudler
Or paranoid White Sox fans?

I am just dreading the prospect of another season of the Cubs racing down the stretch for the playoffs with nothing in their way but the Pirates and Reds. Why didn't the toss some Brewers games in for good measure? Although....I did just notice that they end the season against the Braves. That could be interesting if it's tight.

thepaulbowski
02-10-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18

Pills, man. Take your Pills!!! :D:

ewokpelts
02-10-2004, 11:31 AM
I agree that it's probably a tough job to figure out the schedules for 30 teams. I am sincerely wondering if there is any kind of system in place to develop it though.

On a side note: I also agree that the unbalanced schedule is an accomplice in this one. I think it's time for that concept to die. I admit I thought it was a good idea at first, but I don't think it's working out. You can't get a true feel for how good (or bad) a team is by playing teams in your division 19 times. I also think attendance would improve w/ a little more balance to the schedule.

yeah...the red sox and drays dont need to play the yankees 19 times a year....i think the a's(and the sox) could use that attendace boost

ewokpelts
02-10-2004, 11:33 AM
I am just dreading the prospect of another season of the Cubs racing down the stretch for the playoffs with nothing in their way but the Pirates and Reds. Why didn't the toss some Brewers games in for good measure? Although....I did just notice that they end the season against the Braves. That could be interesting if it's tight.

yeah...the brewers play the cubs at home during the week....they were hoping for the same attendance boost like they got last year...weekday games draw less than weekend, even for the cubs....
Gene

depy48
02-10-2004, 11:41 AM
question:

what does "OAK" stand for? :D:

PINWHEELS
02-10-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by depy48
question:

what does "OAK" stand for? :D: CHOAKLAND?

HITMEN OF 77
02-10-2004, 12:22 PM
Do the White Sox getting any senoirity when the schedules are being planned out, since they have been in the league for so long?

quade36
02-10-2004, 12:32 PM
Its a conspiracy. MLB wants the Cubs to win. They are all in on it.

:o:
:angry:
:?:

SEALgep
02-10-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by quade36

Lol, this is seriously overblown.

soxrme
02-10-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
yeah...the brewers play the cubs at home during the week....they were hoping for the same attendance boost like they got last year...weekday games draw less than weekend, even for the cubs....
Gene
they didn't get screwed. Their best crowds are usually on weekends so the bring the cubs in during the week hoping to draw better on weekdays. But Bud has no interest in the brewers :gulp: :gulp:

SergeantMahoney
02-10-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by quade36

Yikes!

ChiSox65
02-10-2004, 02:17 PM

Damn Monkeys!!!!!.............they must be union. :gulp:

ChiSox65
02-10-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by PINWHEELS
CHOAKLAND?

Choakland.................I like that. :gulp:

ewokpelts
02-10-2004, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by soxrme
they didn't get screwed. Their best crowds are usually on weekends so the bring the cubs in during the week hoping to draw better on weekdays. But Bud has no interest in the brewers :gulp: :gulp:

But.....they have a couple standing discount promotions, and have to honor those dates since they fall on a weekday....hence..they get screwed out of more money

Gene