PDA

View Full Version : Only Positive Willie Comments

bennyw41
02-09-2004, 05:26 PM
I really like Willie Harris, and I see much more in him than D'angelo Jimenez at the same point last year. Does anyone else share my excitment?

sas1974
02-09-2004, 05:33 PM
With some of the opinions on Willie I have seen so far, this could be the world's shortest thread if it's limited to positive posts.

Personally, I am curious to see what he can do. He's all we've got. He's definitely got a set of wheels. Hopefully he's been working hard this off season to improve his stroke. Let's see what he's made of.

Tekijawa
02-09-2004, 05:39 PM
He's My Fiancee's Favorite player. Mostly because she thinks his name is Harry Willis! Sorry I can't think of anything else...

poorme
02-09-2004, 05:43 PM
He comes cheap.

munchman33
02-09-2004, 05:49 PM
He's cheap, he's fast, and his range is a plus.

His hitting style (line drive, down the lines) reminds me of Ray when he was young.

We'll see.

Tekijawa
02-09-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by poorme
He comes cheap.

And his Jersey is only half the size of Bartolo's so we're saving money there too...

maurice
02-09-2004, 05:50 PM
If Harris can raise his career OBP 90 points to match Jimenez, he will steal 40 bases in 2004 and become one of the top leadoff men in the AL, all while playing solid defense at 2B.

sas1974
02-09-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by poorme
He comes cheap.

Cheap? So what if he's cheap. We don't care how much a player costs. Will pay anything we have to in order to.....oh wait, this isn't the Yankees message board?!?!

santo=dorf
02-09-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
Cheap? So what if he's cheap. We don't care how much a player costs. Will pay anything we have to in order to.....oh wait, this isn't the Yankees message board?!?!

:reinsy

"I care!"

Tekijawa
02-09-2004, 05:52 PM
He's a Grinder?

Tekijawa
02-09-2004, 05:53 PM
He's not Hiding Weapons of Mass Distruction

mantis1212
02-09-2004, 05:56 PM
He's talks about himself in the third person. Mantis finds this quite entertaining

Tekijawa
02-09-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by mantis1212
He's talks about himself in the third person. Mantis finds this quite entertaining
Sammy does that too, Maybe Willie will hit 60+ bombs this year... and be the first to enter the 60/60 club

jabrch
02-09-2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
Sammy does that too, Maybe Willie will hit 60+ bombs this year... and be the first to enter the 60/60 club

:reinsy
"He doesn't weigh to much - so I save on fuel for the team charters.

mantis1212
02-09-2004, 06:21 PM
Ozzie's molding him into the next Juan Pierre
(New at this, that was the pipedream color right?)

JGarlandrules20
02-09-2004, 06:57 PM
um....He's cute, he's fast and he's a good baserunner!....

Jjav829
02-09-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
He's not Hiding Weapons of Mass Distruction

But his amazing speed is a weapon of mass destruction!

This thread has gone from only positive willie comments to only sarcastic willie comments very quickly. :smile:

Daver
02-09-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829

This thread has gone for only positive willie comments to only sarcastic willie comments very quickly. :smile:

Imagine that.

The positive thing is that we don't have to worry about Steve Sax coming out of retirement.........

MRKARNO
02-09-2004, 08:12 PM
He hit .400 in winter ball last year

mdep524
02-09-2004, 08:13 PM
Seriously though- Willie vs. D'Angelo?

Ways Willie is better:
-Willie is better defensively, especially range-wise (I've never ever seen a second baseman with worse range than Jiminez),

-He's faster, much more SB and bunt/infield hit potential

-He's a better baserunner (seperate from pure speed). I remember one important game against Minnesota in the middle of last season when Jiminez lost the game for us because he didn't score from 2nd base on what was clearly going to be a hit in the 9th or 10th inning, among countless other baserunning gaffes he made.

-He has a better attitude, seems like he has a better work ethic and he's much more energetic.

D'Angelo is better in that he hits for a higher average, and more power.

So now will be Willie's chance to pull that OBP up. If he can't do it, one of the best second basemen in baseball will be availible-- Jose Vidro, and the Sox could trade for him before the deadline.

Daver
02-09-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
He hit .400 in winter ball last year

Royce Clayton could hit .400 against winter ball pitching.

SoxxoS
02-09-2004, 09:38 PM
As of right now, ESPN fantasy rates Willie "Mayes Hays" Harris as the third worst 3Baseman in the majors. Congratulations, Willie!

Daver
02-09-2004, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
As of right now, ESPN fantasy rates Willie "Mayes Hays" Harris as the third worst 3Baseman in the majors. Congratulations, Willie!

Good thing he plays second then.

:bandance:

SoxxoS
02-09-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Good thing he plays second then.

:bandance:

Whoops :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

He would be the worst 3rd baseman.

depy48
02-09-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by mdep524
Seriously though- Willie vs. D'Angelo?

Ways Willie is better:
-Willie is better defensively, especially range-wise (I've never ever seen a second baseman with worse range than Jiminez),

-He's faster, much more SB and bunt/infield hit potential

-He's a better baserunner (seperate from pure speed). I remember one important game against Minnesota in the middle of last season when Jiminez lost the game for us because he didn't score from 2nd base on what was clearly going to be a hit in the 9th or 10th inning, among countless other baserunning gaffes he made.

-He has a better attitude, seems like he has a better work ethic and he's much more energetic.

D'Angelo is better in that he hits for a higher average, and more power.

So now will be Willie's chance to pull that OBP up. If he can't do it, one of the best second basemen in baseball will be availible-- Jose Vidro, and the Sox could trade for him before the deadline.

what would it take to bring vidro here?

doublem23
02-09-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by depy48

A new owner.

fuzzy_patters
02-09-2004, 11:37 PM
Imagine that.

The positive thing is that we don't have to worry about Steve Sax coming out of retirement.........

LOL! For some reason I had a vision of a baseball flying over the firstbase dugout after I read your comments.

LoveTheSox
02-10-2004, 12:14 AM

Royce Clayton can do anything!

SEALgep
02-10-2004, 12:24 AM

Could and doing are different. I don't believe Clayton ever really showed promise as a hitter. If he did it, you can't take that away from him. It's easier said than done, winter ball isn't uncompetitive. It's not the MLB, but to say anyone could hit .400 in winter ball is definitely wrong. It does say something about his ability and that he potentially can produce offensively.

SEALgep
02-10-2004, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Whoops :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

He would be the worst 3rd baseman.

He's got range, but running to the third base line and have enough time to throw out somebody would be a remarkable skill.

SEALgep
02-10-2004, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by depy48

A lot. Many clubs have interest in him.

koch44
02-10-2004, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Could and doing are different. I don't believe Clayton ever really showed promise as a hitter. If he did it, you can't take that away from him. It's easier said than done, winter ball isn't uncompetitive. It's not the MLB, but to say anyone could hit .400 in winter ball is definitely wrong. It does say something about his ability and that he potentially can produce offensively.

I remember hearing about Clayton tearing up the ball during spring training a couple years ago, and then once the regular season started, he sucked.

GOC
02-10-2004, 12:32 AM
Every thread I read around here seems to boil down to the pessimists vs. the optimists . I'm sure it's not the only factor , but it seems the newer the poster the more optimistic they seem . Maybe being a Sox fan really does take a toll on our psyche . I don't think I'd be at all surprised if there was a strong correlation between the age of the poster ( or , at the least , the amount of exposure to this site :o: ) and their level of negativity . Not that I think there isn't any wisdom in taking a step back/not buying into the hype - I'm just sayin' . . . .
I remember I once read an article in the newspaper about how optimists lead happier lives but pessimists tend to have a better grip on reality .
Take your pick .

SEALgep
02-10-2004, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by koch44
I remember hearing about Clayton tearing up the ball during spring training a couple years ago, and then once the regular season started, he sucked.

Whatever you heard about tearing the cover off the ball, I'm sure it wasn't a .400 average. If you can back it up with some stats, I would be interested in seeing it. Regardless though, Clayton's production, or lack thereof, doesn't reflect Harris.

SEALgep
02-10-2004, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by GOC
Every thread I read around here seems to boil down to the pessimists vs. the optimists . I'm sure it's not the only factor , but it seems the newer the poster the more optimistic they seem . Maybe being a Sox fan really does take a toll on our psyche . I don't think I'd be at all surprised if there was a strong correlation between the age of the poster ( or , at the least , the amount of exposure to this site :o: ) and their level of negativity . Not that I think there isn't any wisdom in taking a step back/not buying into the hype - I'm just sayin' . . . .
I remember I once read an article in the newspaper about how optimists lead happier lives but pessimists tend to have a better grip on reality .
Take your pick .

Having a grip on reality is overrated. Ignorance is bliss. :gulp:

Carolina Kenny
02-10-2004, 12:42 AM
Ode To Willie

We had no prospects in the middle,
and we remember when
Nellie was our God and Ray played it like a fiddle.
Poor Nellie is in the ground and Ray is gone thats true,
So along came Willie Harris to see what he could do.

So its run Wille run,
and Roll Wille roll,
Only after April and May are done
we'll know if your for real.

Many have been the faces that have played our second sack,
Remember Juice with his glove and Orta with his bat.
Willie Harris is the man this year,
and we just got to see,
what nickname Hawk will name him when he says,
he's the fastest guy he has ever seen.

So its run Willie run,
and roll Willie roll
Only after June and July are done

You can wish for another Collins, or even a Michaels Cass,
You can pine away for Al Wies or even want Buford back,
But wait until you see Willie Harris, he can field and really run,
and all it really cost the sox was a single Singleton,

So its run Willie run,
and roll Willie roll
Only after August and September are done

Many are the names that played our second sack,
From Jim Morrison of the doors to a Brohamer named Jack.
You can say Junior Moore tryed it once and even wish for Vance Law back.
But wait till you see Willie Harris lay one down and run to first base flat.

So its run Willie run,
and roll Willie roll
Only after post season is done,

depy48
02-10-2004, 01:28 AM
Maybe they can play the "willie beamem song" from Any Given Sunday, when Harris comes to bat. That'll be cool.

Realist
02-10-2004, 05:30 AM
He's tiny, he's super fast, and Ralph Garr is long retired. If he has a great year and steals tons of bases, I won't call him "Roadrunner", but I'll call him "Beep Beep".

jabrch
02-10-2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Carolina Kenny
Ode To Willie

We had no prospects in the middle,
and we remember when
Nellie was our God and Ray played it like a fiddle.
Poor Nellie is in the ground and Ray is gone thats true,
So along came Willie Harris to see what he could do.

So its run Wille run,
and Roll Wille roll,
Only after April and May are done

Many have been the faces that have played our second sack,
Remember Juice with his glove and Orta with his bat.
Willie Harris is the man this year,
and we just got to see,
what nickname Hawk will name him when he says,
he's the fastest guy he has ever seen.

So its run Willie run,
and roll Willie roll
Only after June and July are done

You can wish for another Collins, or even a Michaels Cass,
You can pine away for Al Wies or even want Buford back,
But wait until you see Willie Harris, he can field and really run,
and all it really cost the sox was a single Singleton,

So its run Willie run,
and roll Willie roll
Only after August and September are done

Many are the names that played our second sack,
From Jim Morrison of the doors to a Brohamer named Jack.
You can say Junior Moore tryed it once and even wish for Vance Law back.
But wait till you see Willie Harris lay one down and run to first base flat.

So its run Willie run,
and roll Willie roll
Only after post season is done,

Well done - and welcome aboard!

Maximo
02-10-2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by GOC
Take your pick .

GOC:

I agree with your hypothesis. Older folks just have a natural tendency to look at things with a "jaundiced eye". Probably stems from more years of experiencing life's disappointments.

Starts out with getting 'cut' from the jr.high basketball team...being turned down by the girl you asked to the prom....being denied the mortgage loan because you "don't have enough points".....being passed over for the promotion at work........being......well, never mind.

Point is.......while I don't wish to return to the days of my youth for any means, I do enjoy hanging out with folks who are still "on the front nine of the golf course", so to speak. Their philosophies on life keep me fresh.

So.....enjoy your youth because some day you'll be just as skeptical as a lot of us old guys. Nothing wrong with being a skeptic.....just keep a handle on it before you turn into a cynic.

I'll get off the soapbox, now.

Randar68
02-10-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by GOC
Take your pick .

Misery loves company, welcome aboard!!!

Seriously, though. I think most people are optimists at heart, but, unfortunately, this franchise makes us use our brains, and that is where most of the realism comes from.

Most people who just post constant over-optimism see the realists as the negative posters...

pearso66
02-10-2004, 11:49 AM
I am one who is optimist about willie. I think he is a good fielder, plus he is fast. Granted I'm sure that plays into why I think he's a good feilder. I for one hope he stays in the line drive mode and doesnt start going for home runs the way Durham did when he was here. He's a leadoff player for 1 reason, to get on base. It doesnt help us when he's hitting fly balls to the track and they are being caught.

Put me on the willie bandwagon

oh and you saying that if you've been here a while and start feeling negative, I feel the adverse reaction, I feel I must be positive, or I'd go into depression. I think right now, we haev the best team in the central. The Twins and Royals dont scare me. And I go on record as saying, the Tigers are the dark horse of this division.

JasonC23
02-10-2004, 01:18 PM
About Willie: I'm slightly optimistic because his minor league numbers are great.

I'm pessimistic because I have yet to see a shred of evidence that he can hit major league pitching, and if Ozzie "DON'T WALK EVER!!!" Guillen is tutoring him, I fear his OBP will top out around .320, and that's horrific for anyone batting high in the order.

koch44
02-10-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Whatever you heard about tearing the cover off the ball, I'm sure it wasn't a .400 average. If you can back it up with some stats, I would be interested in seeing it. Regardless though, Clayton's production, or lack thereof, doesn't reflect Harris.

Clayton's average was .347.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/springStats?team=chw&type=bat&year=2002

ChiSox65
02-10-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by bennyw41
I really like Willie Harris, and I see much more in him than D'angelo Jimenez at the same point last year. Does anyone else share my excitment?

"Fiesty, I love Willie Harris...........Willie Harris..........YESSSS!!!!

Hawkaroo :gulp:

KingXerxes
02-10-2004, 05:16 PM
Runner is on first
With two down in the ninth frame
He's bunting again?

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week.

faneidde
02-10-2004, 06:34 PM
My positive comment:
He'll surely improve this year, as he has almost no room to regress.