PDA

View Full Version : This team's O


rahulsekhar
02-09-2004, 05:23 PM
Just wanted to raise a point that I think has been overlooked in the discussions. While we lost the 2d half offense from Alomar/Everett, I think that the change to Greg Walker as hitting coach will pay off for the guys we have left. The hitters underperformed hugely to start the year last year and I think starting out with ozzie & walk will result in a MUCH better O from Maggs, Lee, Frank, Crede, and hopefully Paulie. Not to mention that Ozzie may be the guy to convince Valentin to hit lefty.

Anyway - an improved O to start the season will (hopefully) offset some of our pitching losses. If we could pick up a solid vet starter, I'd be pretty optimistic about our chances in the Comedy Central.

guillen4life13
02-09-2004, 05:31 PM
I doubt Ozzie can change Valentin's mind (who knows for sure though?), nor do I think that the thought has even crossed his mind. Despite my screen name, I don't have much faith in Ozzie as a manager. I also don't really think that a switch hitting Valentin was the problem last year-- Graffy (who's gone now) played short on most days when LHPs started.

I also don't think that Greg Walker is the best hitting coach they could have out there. Maybe I'm just a little bitter about everything Sox right now, but I didn't notice a huge increase in production in the majority of the squad after Walker stepped in.

Increased production from Crede and Thomas are not out of the realm of possibility, and Maggs was around what he normally puts up (a slight increase in production is possible). PK will do a lot better (if he's on the team this coming season), but I don't expect him to hit .300, or drive in 100 runs again. The most I'm expecting out of him this year (and I think I'm being generous) is .290, 25, 85.

Right now (with the exception of Thomas) the offense needs to learn better plate discipline, and Ozzie was not well known for good plate discipline. Take walks--- LEARN TO BUNT, FOOLS! Better baserunning, better situational hitting (sacrifice flies, sacrifice bunts, going the other way, etc.). The Sox did not excel in those fields. I don't expect them to get any better this coming year either.

rahulsekhar
02-09-2004, 05:55 PM
Pre-ASB 2003, Sox hit .245 / .726 OPS. Post-ASB 2003, .2288 / .844OPS.

I know there were lineup changes in there (Everett, Alomar), but if I remember right, the guys responded pretty well to Walker and guys like Maggs, Carlos, Crede, and even Paulie hit significantly better in the 2d half.

ChiSox65
02-09-2004, 07:12 PM
We've got a softball team lineup, big slow right handed powerguys............Thomas, Odonez, Lee, Konerko, Crede.
Can u say.............doubleplay???? We are gonna miss Everett and Alomar.

:gulp:

Dadawg_77
02-09-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by rahulsekhar
Just wanted to raise a point that I think has been overlooked in the discussions. While we lost the 2d half offense from Alomar/Everett, I think that the change to Greg Walker as hitting coach will pay off for the guys we have left. The hitters underperformed hugely to start the year last year and I think starting out with ozzie & walk will result in a MUCH better O from Maggs, Lee, Frank, Crede, and hopefully Paulie. Not to mention that Ozzie may be the guy to convince Valentin to hit lefty.

Anyway - an improved O to start the season will (hopefully) offset some of our pitching losses. If we could pick up a solid vet starter, I'd be pretty optimistic about our chances in the Comedy Central.

Willie Harris might be an upgrade offenivly from Alomar.

GOC
02-10-2004, 12:47 AM
If there's a major break down on this team this year I don't think it will be the offense . I don't think there's any way the entire batting order is gonna have a half season slump again . I would say it's damn near statistically impossible but they proved me wrong on that last year .

Also , on an unrelated note , does anybody else think Layne Stanley would look a lot like Mark Beuhrle if he grew some sideburns and threw on a Sox hat ?

beckett21
02-10-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by GOC

Also , on an unrelated note , does anybody else think Layne Stanley would look a lot like Mark Beuhrle if he grew some sideburns and threw on a Sox hat ? [/B]

Considering Staley died of a heroin OD a couple years ago, that would be some achievement :(:

AIC is my alltime favorite band...RIP Layne, we miss ya bro! :whiner:

SEALgep
02-10-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
[B

I also don't think that Greg Walker is the best hitting coach they could have out there. Maybe I'm just a little bitter about everything Sox right now, but I didn't notice a huge increase in production in the majority of the squad after Walker stepped in.

[/B]

There definately was an increase in production. They turned it around with him almost right away. There were spurts of cold streaks along the way, but overall they did a lot better.

chosk8
02-10-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by rahulsekhar
Just wanted to raise a point that I think has been overlooked in the discussions. While we lost the 2d half offense from Alomar/Everett, I think that the change to Greg Walker as hitting coach will pay off for the guys we have left. The hitters underperformed hugely to start the year last year and I think starting out with ozzie & walk will result in a MUCH better O from Maggs, Lee, Frank, Crede, and hopefully Paulie. Not to mention that Ozzie may be the guy to convince Valentin to hit lefty.

Anyway - an improved O to start the season will (hopefully) offset some of our pitching losses. If we could pick up a solid vet starter, I'd be pretty optimistic about our chances in the Comedy Central.

I know many on this board have brought up the point of Valentin hitting left exclusively. While I agree that he is a very poor right handed hitter, I'm not so sure the transition is as easy as many of you may think. Jose has been hitting left-handed pitchers from the right side of the plate for the greater portion of his life, I'm sure. The sudden switch to hitting left handed only creates a new learning curve and does not guarantee success. Curve balls from lefties will now break away, cutters will break in, etc. Spring Training would be the time to experiment.