PDA

View Full Version : Something for y'all to think about

Sufferin
02-08-2004, 12:12 AM
How's this for setting us up for this season?

Trade Konerko for Mota and a prospect or 2.

Take the money you just saved from Konerko (15 mil over 2 years?) and use it to sign Maddux. Admittedly you may have to give Maddux another 3 over the 2 years but that's OK because...

You trade Valentin to the desperate Yankess to be their 3B, for their top SS prospect (the Tejeda kid still there?) and 3 mill in cash.

Personally I'd rather have a rotation with Maddux in it and Mota in the bullpen with Uribe at SS and Thomas at 1B than a team with Person/Rauch/Cotts in the lienup and Valentin at SS. and with the Konerko/Thomas thing still bugging the club.

Obviously there'd be a little more to it (details, details..) and I've had a few tonight :gulp: but I think moves with these guys involved would make us a stronger team this year and in the future.

I don't think the value of having Maddux on the team with Garland and Buerhle and any other yougn pitchers can be overstated.

StepsInSC
02-08-2004, 12:43 AM
Hasn't LA been firm in their stance to keep Mota?

And the Yankees just acquired Lamb who I'm assuming they're going to give a shot to win the starting 3B job.

Obviously these ideas are great for the Sox, but they'd be bad moves for the other teams involved...

npdempse
02-08-2004, 12:51 AM
And another thing--

Maddux has made it very clear that he won't pitch in the AL; he hates the DH.

HITMEN OF 77
02-08-2004, 03:02 AM
Jose is going to be the guy in our infield for sometime, KW likes him a lot and he is a decent ss when Crede is at 3rd and he puts up good offense numbers. Konerko? Back to form this year, trade talks will be all but over about him once the season starts, he ain't goin' nowhere (I hope) :smile:

SoxxoS
02-08-2004, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by npdempse
And another thing--

Maddux has made it very clear that he won't pitch in the AL; he hates the DH.

Maddux is overrrated at this stage in his career, and he needs the pitcher to be that average out in the lineup. I would actually like to see what Shoenweis and Cotts can do and go from there,

I wrote this all in limegreen b/c I nominate this color to be the color to be used when any of us are hammered. i aM ha,mmered at this moment./

HITMEN OF 77
02-08-2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Maddux is overrrated at this stage in his career, and he needs the pitcher to be that average out in the lineup. I would actually like to see what Shoenweis and Cotts can do and go from there,

I wrote this all in limegreen b/c I nominate this color to be the color to be used when any of us are hammered. i aM ha,mmered at this moment./

LOL!! :gulp:

Sufferin
02-08-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
Hasn't LA been firm in their stance to keep Mota?

And the Yankees just acquired Lamb who I'm assuming they're going to give a shot to win the starting 3B job.

Obviously these ideas are great for the Sox, but they'd be bad moves for the other teams involved...

I thought LA's stance was firm against giving us both Mota and Perez in a deal. I would think they'd be willing ot trade a set up man for some badly needed offense.

You really think the Yankess would rather have Mike Friggin Lamb than Valentin at 3rd? Quotes from Peter Gammons (take them for what you will) "there has been speculation about the Yankees acquiring every breathing third baseman from Edgardo Alfonzo to Jose Valentin to Troy Glaus to Shea Hillenbrand to Scott Brosius to Mike Pagliarulo...."

"New York has to solve the third-base situation"

Doesn't sound like he believes they're happy with having Lamb as the guy either.

How is gaining a one-time All-Star who could drive in 100 runs with 30 HRs for a set up man bad for the Dodgers? Especially sien they had the worst offense in the majors last year.

How is getting a bona-fide good offensive player with a cannon arm to play instead of a minor leaguer who's never done squat in the majors a bad deal for the Yankess?

If Maddux has said he's dead set against playing in the AL then why is Baltimore still being mentioned as one of the possible destinations?

JDP
02-08-2004, 02:31 PM
http://boards.espn.go.com/cgi/mlb/request.dll?MESSAGE&room=mlb_chw&id=264957

CHISOXFAN13
02-08-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by JDP
http://boards.espn.go.com/cgi/mlb/request.dll?MESSAGE&room=mlb_chw&id=264957

Yippee!!! Another ridiculous message board rumor!!!

JDP
02-08-2004, 07:55 PM
Yippee! It wasn't a rumor at all, but an outloud thought by one Sox fan. Way to pay attention!