PDA

View Full Version : Deferred salary

gosox41
02-07-2004, 11:06 PM
Don't know if this has been brought up here or not, but I was reading the other day about (maybe in the Trib??) about Maddux.

It was mentioned that Edmonds and a few other Cardinals players were willing to defer salary if it meant signing Maddux.

So just to clarify. JR gets ripped on for offering Colon a 3 yaer contract with deferred money, a practice other owners have been doing for years. Now players are actually willing to defer money for the good of the team.

Funny how no one rips on them for taking less to help the team win, but when JR does it, it's nothing but cheapness on his part. I don't see too many White Sox players willing to defer salary for the good of the team. For that matter, I've never seen Sox management try to ask a player to defer salary after the player already had a guaranteed a contract.

Bob

duke of dorwood
02-07-2004, 11:09 PM
Its because he's cheap that these players probably wouldn't help him in any way. They know how much $ he has

gosox41
02-07-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Its because he's cheap that these players probably wouldn't help him in any way. They know how much $ he has

Doesn't the Busch family have a few nickels?

Bob

SEALgep
02-07-2004, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by gosox41

Bob

Good point. However, deferred money bothers me. Unless it is going to be considered just an extra bill and really have no bearing on the future payroll. I'm not big on just delaying the bill and sacrificing options in the future. However, your original point is a good one that I agree with.

dickallen15
02-07-2004, 11:26 PM
Don't know if this has been brought up here or not, but I was reading the other day about (maybe in the Trib??) about Maddux.

It was mentioned that Edmonds and a few other Cardinals players were willing to defer salary if it meant signing Maddux.

So just to clarify. JR gets ripped on for offering Colon a 3 yaer contract with deferred money, a practice other owners have been doing for years. Now players are actually willing to defer money for the good of the team.

Funny how no one rips on them for taking less to help the team win, but when JR does it, it's nothing but cheapness on his part. I don't see too many White Sox players willing to defer salary for the good of the team. For that matter, I've never seen Sox management try to ask a player to defer salary after the player already had a guaranteed a contract.

Bob

Actually, the one player who is ripped constantly for being "selfish" had some of his salary deferred so the Sox could add payroll a few years ago. His name is Frank Thomas.

joecrede
02-07-2004, 11:26 PM
For that matter, I've never seen Sox management try to ask a player to defer salary after the player already had a guaranteed a contract.

Bob

I'd love to see the reaction of this board if Reinsdorf did that.

Daver
02-07-2004, 11:39 PM
The Arizona Diamondbacks managed to build a series winning team on players that were willing to defer a lot of money to field a winner.

When the MLBPA signed the latest CBA they agreed that no money could be deferred for more than two years after the end of the contract,to stamp out long term deferrals,it was one of the concessions the owners gave up to get their luxury tax to fly.

gosox41
02-08-2004, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by joecrede
I'd love to see the reaction of this board if Reinsdorf did that.

Me too. People make JR out to be this evil person who seems to do everything that no owner would consider (unless of course it's tricky accounting, then he's automatically guilty by posters here.) All JR tried to do with Colon was the same thing other owner's have done over the years.

No wonder JR talks less and less to the press and won't open the books of a private company for the public to see. No matter what he does he's automatically guilty of something and if it's not found now it must be hidden somewhere.

Bob

TornLabrum
02-08-2004, 08:56 AM

I see one key difference between the two situations. In the Cardinals' case current players were asked if they would defer salaries so a new player could be hired. In the case of the White Sox, no current players that we know of were asked to defer salaries to sign Colon. It was Colon himself who was asked to defer part of his salary to have himself hired. The Angels apparently didn't ask that of him.

Now which offer are you going to take if you're Colon?

TornLabrum
02-08-2004, 08:57 AM

The Busch family hasn't owned the Cardinals for several years.

gosox41
02-08-2004, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
The Busch family hasn't owned the Cardinals for several years.

I thought they did. Who does own them?

Bob

gosox41
02-08-2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
I see one key difference between the two situations. In the Cardinals' case current players were asked if they would defer salaries so a new player could be hired. In the case of the White Sox, no current players that we know of were asked to defer salaries to sign Colon. It was Colon himself who was asked to defer part of his salary to have himself hired. The Angels apparently didn't ask that of him.

Now which offer are you going to take if you're Colon?

While I don't have the article anymore, it didn't state that the Cardinals asked the players to defer money. Is it possible that the players went to the team and offered to do this? I think it's reasonable, especially for players making millions who truly want to win.

Bob

ewokpelts
02-08-2004, 05:00 PM

Bob

The redbirds aren't owned by the Busch family.
gene

ewokpelts
02-08-2004, 05:02 PM

Bob

The problem was a backloaded AND deferred contract with colon.....the sox like backloaded contracts(konerko/maggs).
Gene

jabrch
02-08-2004, 05:53 PM

Bob

Sure - but they are a minority owner in the Franchise at this point, I think...

jabrch
02-08-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
Actually, the one player who is ripped constantly for being "selfish" had some of his salary deferred so the Sox could add payroll a few years ago. His name is Frank Thomas.

No - out of the goodness of his heart JR allowed Frank to resign after KW invoked the DSC. Frank's only choice that would still get him the big $$$ that he wanted was to have some of it deferred. Please don't make it sound like Saint Frank chose to have the contract deferred. He had no other choices - and not many other teams bidding for his services.

jabrch
02-08-2004, 05:59 PM
In 1995, they were sold to Fred Hanser, William DeWitt Jr. and Andrew Baur as the majority owners. I think the Busch family has a small interest still. Hasner was the guy who hired TLR.

mantis1212
02-08-2004, 06:00 PM
I think deferred money is just a downward spiral. Colon's deferred contract with us if he had taken it would be causing the same problems in three years as Maggs' contract is causing now