PDA

View Full Version : GIDP leaders in the 2000's

carusochop
02-07-2004, 06:40 PM
According to Jayson Stark over at ESPN.com, the AL leaders of grounding into double plays in the AL, from 2000-2003 are Paul Konerko and Magglio Ordonez (with 84 and 83 respectfully,). Its failry aobvious why this is (Ordonez has Thomas in front of him and Konerko is just flat out slow), but it makes you wonder how many runs those have cost us.

DrCrawdad
02-07-2004, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by carusochop
According to Jayson Stark over at ESPN.com, the AL leaders of grounding into double plays in the AL, from 2000-2003 are Paul Konerko and Magglio Ordonez (with 84 and 83 respectfully,). Its failry aobvious why this is (Ordonez has Thomas in front of him and Konerko is just flat out slow), but it makes you wonder how many runs those have cost us.

I understand that with Thomas hitting in front of them it's a reasonable explanation for Konerko/Magglio's GIDPs. However from what I've observed Konerko/Magglio hit into the GIDP's often when Frank is NOT on base ahead of them. Magglio, for everything he has going in his favor, just hits into doubleplays like a madman for a guy with reasonable speed. I wonder how often Magglio grounds into inning ending Fielder's Choices.

The late season game winning HR that Magglio hit against the Yankees was his FIRST.

Maybe it is just a faulty impression but it seems to me that Magglio is not a great hitter in the clutch.