PDA

View Full Version : How about the 2000 playoffs?

chisoxmike
02-07-2004, 03:38 PM
I remember the games only being during the day, so I would run and find a TV at school. For Game 1 I remember Durham's RBI's that put them in the lead, and then getting home from school seeing they blew the game.

I remember getting home from school and watching the 9th inning of Game 3... I almost cried. :whiner:

Deadguy
02-07-2004, 03:42 PM
I had to lay out the pros and cons to running out into traffic after that game.

Thank God for psychiatric drugs :prozac

jeremyb1
02-07-2004, 03:44 PM
I was there. It was the only game in the series I attended. I remember just being incredibly frustrated afterwards. There was so much on the line and we were so close to winning. Opening our first playoff series in seven years with a win would've been huge but it really seemed like the writing was on the wall after such a tough loss in game one.

chisoxfan79
02-07-2004, 03:48 PM
I remember Jerry Manuel being outmanged by Lou Pinella in game 1

SoxxoS
02-07-2004, 03:54 PM
I remember Jerry Manuel getting outmanaged in every game...

and...

Guillen stepping on home plate on that safety squeeze to win game 3.

I also had a new respect for Jim Parque and James Baldwin after they pitched their hearts out.

lowesox
02-07-2004, 03:55 PM
That was when I first started doubting Manuel. The second I heard he left Mark Johnson off the roster I knew we were going to lose.

I think that was the moment Jerry let his ego start taking over. He was never very good after that. Too bad, because until then I thought he was very good.

Hosey22
02-07-2004, 03:57 PM
I remember after the first game thinking that the series was over. I don't know, it just felt like there was so much emotion and excitement, and then the homers by Edgar, and was the other Buhner or Olerud? Well either way I just felt defeated after that. I remember in the 9th inning of that game thinking that we're gonna win it in the bottom of the 9th, this is awesome. I think either Frank or Maggs were up with a runner on 2nd and 1 out. I thought that this might be the start of an amazing post-season, little did I know what was to follow.

I also remember being mad as hell at some of Manuel's moves during that game. That was one of those games where an extra hit somewhere in there turns the series around. Wow was that a depressing way to end that season.

joecrede
02-07-2004, 04:05 PM
I've never been at a louder sporting event than game 1 of that series. It was a beautiful day, lots of tailgating, the fans were ready. Game 2, by contrast, the crowd made it feel like a wake.

chisoxfan79
02-07-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Hosey22
I remember after the first game thinking that the series was over. I don't know, it just felt like there was so much emotion and excitement, and then the homers by Edgar, and was the other Buhner or Olerud? Well either way I just felt defeated after that. I remember in the 9th inning of that game thinking that we're gonna win it in the bottom of the 9th, this is awesome. I think either Frank or Maggs were up with a runner on 2nd and 1 out. I thought that this might be the alystart of an amazing post-season, little did I know what was to follow.

I also remember being mad as hell at some of Manuel's moves during that game. That was one of those games where an extra hit somewhere in there turns the series around. Wow was that a depressing way to end that season. I remember one move made by Manuel in the ninth inning that I thought was a mistake it was when he took Charles Johnson out of the game for Josh Paul and in the tenth inning Mike Cameron got on base and stole second if CJ was in the game he would have been thrown out and Edgar probably would not of hit that homer

DSpivack
02-07-2004, 05:27 PM
I remember my dad driving up from Springfield, him picking me up early from school [my soph. year in hs], being extremely excited.

I remember knowing after the first game that they would be swept.

I remember bragging, before game one, that I had tickets thru the ALCS.

I remember going afterwords to Ben Pao, eating well but depressed.

I remember my dad asking me if I wanted to skip again and see game two, I said no they'd get swept. He wondered why I was so pessimistic at just 15.

I remember being right.

Huisj
02-07-2004, 05:34 PM
I remember sitting in my car in the parking lot of my high school listening to game one. i was there for a girls basketball game, and i decided it was more important to listen to the end of the game first. and then the end of the game took an hour more than expected. and then i went into the basketball game just after half time and was pissed as ever and just not in a good mood. all my friends thought i was off the deep end for sitting in my car for an hour. but i had to.

PaulDrake
02-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
That was when I first started doubting Manuel. The second I heard he left Mark Johnson off the roster I knew we were going to lose.

I think that was the moment Jerry let his ego start taking over. He was never very good after that. Too bad, because until then I thought he was very good. He was taken to the cleaners by Piniella in that series. I thought he would have learned from his mistakes, but in retrospect you appear to have been totally right.

TornLabrum
02-07-2004, 06:07 PM
From one depressing subject to the next. I think I'm going to go clean my loaded shotgun now....

pearso66
02-07-2004, 08:08 PM
I remember I was coming home from college to go to game 5, unfortunately, it never made it that far.

pudge
02-07-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
From one depressing subject to the next. I think I'm going to go clean my loaded shotgun now....

No joke, huh? Please nobody start an '83 thread.

As for 2000, I remember I ditched work to watch the first game, but it was so agonizing that I wound up going back to work after Bradford(?!) came in and allowed the Mariners to take the lead. I listened to the rest of the game at work over the Internet via ESPN radio, cursing like a sailor.

Lucky me (sarcasm), I was at Safeco for Game Three.... the shadows over homeplate made it impossible for anyone to hit, hence the low-scoring game. When the Mariners loaded the bases in the 9th, I ran downstairs and stood in the walkway behind homeplate, ready to leave as soon as they scored. As soon as Guillen bunted, and before the run even crossed homeplate, I was running down the stairs and out the stadium. I was literally the first person out the door, and a local TV reporter tried to stop me and get an interview, probably thinking I was a happy Mariners fan... I just flipped him off and kept running.

santo=dorf
02-08-2004, 01:02 AM
I remember watching one of the games on WGN in my Mom's van when I was waiting to pick her up from work. I also remember convincing my calculus teacher to turn on one of the games during class. I can't remember anything positive from our last two playoff appearances. :whiner:

Thunderstruck30
02-08-2004, 01:11 AM
I remember being nervous as all hell during game 1 just to be disappointed by them giving the game away.

I remember coming home from school and turning on game 2 just to learn they were down 4-2 in the 8th. At that moment I knew they were done.

Game 3 I watched at my friends house. When the Mariners scored that final run I whipped a wiffle ball at the wall as hard as I could, narrowly missing my friends head.

TommyJohn
02-08-2004, 01:43 AM
I was living in California at the time and did not have cable, so
I was unable to watch the games. I did listen to game 1 on the
radio (tolerating Chris Berman all the way) and was disgusted
and filled with dread at the end of the game. I couldn't shake
the feeling that Seattle was going to win the series, and I
predicted that they would sweep, although it was a prediction
made out of disgust and with pure emotion. I just knew Seattle
would win.

I remember the night the series ended. I was was driving and
listening to the radio. A guy named Mike Ogulnick was a guest
host, along with someone else. I was bummed that the Sox had
lost. The pudgy jock-wannabe Ogulnick said that night that, for
him, a "supreme moment of pleasure" was getting to watch the
White Sox "walk off the field hanging their heads" because, he
said, "when you root for a team as bad as my Cubs..."

He lost me there. His statement, plus his reference to "MY" Cubs
got me. I felt my face flush hot with anger. I kept thinking about
it and took a while to forget it.

I must admit that I thought about Mr. Fatheadnick again....During
this year's NL playoffs. Specifically the 8th inning of Game 6 of the
NLCS, and again after Game 7. Sure, HIS Cubs made it farther
than the 2000 Sox, no doubt. Still, seeing HIS Cubs blow it the
way they did and watching the aftermath of those two games
was for me a supreme moment of pleasure. (Sorry, Les.)

Nick@Nite
02-08-2004, 02:12 AM
I was in Taegu, Korea.... trying to keep up with the action via Armed Forces Network & a crappy dial-up connection in my dorm room.

I was left wondering why the Sox offense couldn't score after bruising AL pitching during the 2000 season.

HITMEN OF 77
02-08-2004, 02:17 AM
I can't remember who laid down the bunt in game 3 in the 9th for Peattle, but didn't he step on home plate while doing so? If so, isn't that an automatic out?

I still here about that series from all my friends, who of course are Peattle fans. They shut up quick though, when you ask them how many World Series the M's have won :D:

SoxxoS
02-08-2004, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
I can't remember who laid down the bunt in game 3 in the 9th for Peattle, but didn't he step on home plate while doing so? If so, isn't that an automatic out?

I believe it was Carlos Guillen, and yes, it is an automatic out. However, shockingly the ump didn't see it and he was called safe at the plate.

Brian26
02-08-2004, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
I believe it was Carlos Guillen, and yes, it is an automatic out. However, shockingly the ump didn't see it and he was called safe at the plate.

The ESPN announcers saw it. I think, in fact, Sutcliffe was doing color and made a somewhat big point about it. They showed the replay at least twice.

SoxxoS
02-08-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
The ESPN announcers saw it. I think, in fact, Sutcliffe was doing color and made a somewhat big point about it. They showed the replay at least twice.

I said the umps couldn't see it.

chisox06
02-08-2004, 06:53 PM
I remember taping the games and coming home from school to watch them. Game 1 was a heartbreaker, and after game 2 I knew they were done. Game 3 I still remember very well. I remember watching the M's score that run, throwing my remote at my mirror, of course breaking it. Then about 10 minutes later getting a call from the girlfriend and her yellin it my ear about me not calling her. Then after a heated conversation that lasted all about 3 minutes, we figured it wasnt gonna work. That was about the only positive thing I can remember from all that.

doublem23
02-09-2004, 12:55 AM
I had a meeting the day of Game 1 so I brought a Walkman to school with me and spacing out the whole time, listening to the game. Man, I ran home to watch the end of it... I was so freakin' pumped. Game 2 was also on while I was at school but my English teacher decided to postpone class for Chicago baseball play-offs (you have a lifetime to read books, he said, but you may never see this again) and I watched part of the game at school. I hid my Walkman with me in Trig, too, so I listened to a good chunk of the game, then, too.

Game 3. Man... Wunsch's head buried in his arms after he threw that ball away and Guillen's sac bunt...

Ouch.

Baby Fisk
02-09-2004, 10:05 AM
Stop it! Stop it! Stop it!

This is how Red Sox fans behave.

Jerko
02-09-2004, 10:14 AM
I remember saying "who is this Bradford guy" and I remember wondering how Wunsch survived that laser beam off his chest from Olerud I think. Then I remember starting to say "he's gonna bunt" just as the final pitch of the series was thrown and I saw Thomas flopping around out of position because our manager at the time never had enough foresight to maybe play him in.

DSpivack
02-09-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
Stop it! Stop it! Stop it!

This is how Red Sox fans behave.

haha, yeah....

stop looking back to the past...

and look forward to the future!

Oh, the glorious future!

Dick Allen
02-09-2004, 10:57 AM
I remember in game 1, the Sox blowing 3 or 4 man-on-third-less than-2-out situations and thinking here we go again.

Being at game 2 with a loud and boisterous crowd, but thinking all along it was a foregone conclusion. The whole thing reminded me exactly of the 1983 playoffs - all the bats went dead, nobody could get a clutch hit to save their lives.

Baby Fisk
02-09-2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by DSpivack
haha, yeah....

stop looking back to the past...

and look forward to the future!

Oh, the glorious future!
LOL.
I thought everyone was supposed to be pumped after Soxfest...

jshanahanjr
02-09-2004, 12:51 PM
I went to both home games. I was really pumped in Game 1 but it all came crashing down. The life of a Sox fan, but nobody even cares except us.

jeremyb1
02-09-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
I remember Jerry Manuel getting outmanaged in every game...

and...

Guillen stepping on home plate on that safety squeeze to win game 3.

I also had a new respect for Jim Parque and James Baldwin after they pitched their hearts out.

Originally posted by chisoxfan79
I remember one move made by Manuel in the ninth inning that I thought was a mistake it was when he took Charles Johnson out of the game for Josh Paul and in the tenth inning Mike Cameron got on base and stole second if CJ was in the game he would have been thrown out and Edgar probably would not of hit that homer

Originally posted by PaulDrake
He was taken to the cleaners by Piniella in that series. I thought he would have learned from his mistakes, but in retrospect you appear to have been totally right.

I think this is flawed reasoning. Whenever a team loses the close game, the loss is almost always blamed on the manager with few exceptions. Close, critical games are lost so the fans retrace the moves in the game that could've gone differently and then blame the results on the manager. The above example of JM pulling Johnson perfectly demonstrates this. If Paul's substitution had led to scoring the winning run then Manuel is a genius but that didn't happen so its all his fault. Personally I can't fathom a manner in which we could've lost three close games which would not have resulted in cries of being outmanaged. I don't have the numbers in front of me but we average 6 runs per game in '00, what was the most we scored in any of those playoff games? I'm not saying Manuel did a great job but personally I don't think that if he managed the best three games in the history of baseball he would've been exempt from criticism due to the importance of those games and how close the score was.

mike squires
02-09-2004, 10:35 PM
My brother came down to Champaign to watch game 1 on the tube. We bought a case and it was gone by the seventh inning. The sink was full of beer bottles. He went off to the guest room when the score was tied late in the game. I couldn't believe he could do that. I didn't care if he was drunk or not. But it turns out I was the fool. He must have new something I didn't. So there I go drunker than a skunk on this bike about a mile or so to this ballfield and stdepped up to the plate and pretended like I hit the ball out of the ball park and circled the bases in the pitch black. Then I walked to this fence and watched this high school football team huddled up talking to their coach. We went to game 2. I always felt like we were on the verge of pulling off some big hits and taking control of the series. That's funny, I thought the same thing in 83 and 2000 too... :whiner: :(: :o: :?: :angry: