PDA

View Full Version : Quote of the Day (2/6)

RKMeibalane
02-06-2004, 05:33 PM
From whitesox.com (http://www.whitesox.com):

"The fans are saying, 'Willie can't play second.' But I know Willie and they don't know Willie. I'm not young anymore. I won't say I'm still a kid because it's time to start doing something and I'm ready."

-Wille Harris on his new role as the starting second baseman.

I don't know why, but I thought it was funny that he referred to himself in the third person.

lowesox
02-06-2004, 05:36 PM
Poor guy. We can be ****ty fans sometimes. And I include myself in that group. The problem is when management gives us a team so full of holes, we're bound to complain about some of the glaring ones. If we had players who put up good consistent numbers in CF, 3B, SS, C and 1B we wouldn't have to pick on Willie.

RKMeibalane
02-06-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Poor guy. We can be ****ty fans sometimes. And I include myself in that group. The problem is when management gives us a team so full of holes, we're bound to complain about some of the glaring ones. If we had players who put up good consistent numbers in CF, 3B, SS, C and 1B we wouldn't have to pick on Willie.

I agree. I don't have anything personally against Harris, but like you said, it's frustrating when a team isn't put together well. The Sox have more question marks entering this season than any other in recent memory. Even during the 1998 and '99 seasons, fans had some idea of what the team was going to be like. As far as this season is concerned, nobody really knows what to expect. Willie Harris is a microcosm of that uncertainty. No one knows what to expect from him, either.

I hope Harris continues to improve, because the Sox need somoene at the top of the lineup who can produce on a consistent basis. That was a serious problem last season before the Alomar trade, and it will be again unless Willie steps up. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

sas1974
02-06-2004, 06:17 PM
I haven't personally been on the Willie Harris hate train, but do I wish they had someone else there? Sure I do. Can he play? That remains to be seen I suppose. As for picking on Willie, it's nothing personal. Strictly business. I am sure he's not too worried about what we say while he's checking the balance on his bank account. He's a professional, I am sure he can handle it.

ND_Sox_Fan
02-06-2004, 07:15 PM
Later on in the article that the quote was in, he said that if he were a fan looking at his stats, he would be upset too.

At least we have another guy who wants to win in that spot - unlike some of the rejects we've had in the past.

beckett21
02-06-2004, 08:03 PM
Open letter to Willie:

Willie STOP reading Willie's press clippings. Do Willie a favor. Willie has nothing to gain from it. Just go out and do Willie's job, and everything will fall into place. If not, don't worry we will run Willie out of town. :D:

(And stealing 50 bases wouldn't hurt either :D: )

SoxFan76
02-06-2004, 09:10 PM
he has to get on base 50 times first

soxfan2425
02-07-2004, 12:43 PM
I am a long time supporter of willie and willie will break out and be mvp this year, you wait.

Go Willie!!!!

StepsInSC
02-07-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
From whitesox.com (http://www.whitesox.com):

"The fans are saying, 'Willie can't play second.' But I know Willie and they don't know Willie. I'm not young anymore. I won't say I'm still a kid because it's time to start doing something and I'm ready."

-Wille Harris on his new role as the starting second baseman.

I don't know why, but I thought it was funny that he referred to himself in the third person.

If he had stayed in the same person for the entire duration of the quote, it wouldn't have been as confusing. Personally Stephen doesn't like it when people change person mid-sentence, but that's just my opinion.

OneDog
02-07-2004, 09:50 PM
The greatest leadoff hitter in the history of the game always used third person.

"Ricky's the best. Ricky's the best. Ricky's the best."

Maybe this is a good sign

PaleHoseGeorge
02-08-2004, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by OneDog
The greatest leadoff hitter in the history of the game always used third person.

"Ricky's the best. Ricky's the best. Ricky's the best."

Maybe this is a good sign

Now *that's* top spin! Willie Harris talks like Rickey Henderson... we'll just have to wait till April to see if his play matches his mouth. :smile:

Maybe we should get Frank Thomas to fight with Ozzie Gullen, ala Reggie Jackson and Billy Martin?

:hurt
"I would break that little **** in two."

ode to veeck
02-08-2004, 09:58 AM
Last time I looked, Ricky was looking to sign on with ANY MLB team--given that he might actually fit in the pocket change budget the Sox have left AND besides leading off a few games he'd be around give Willie some pointers, including the how to get on base in the first place part