PDA

View Full Version : SI Story On Arte Moreno

Lip Man 1
02-06-2004, 04:52 PM
This week Sports Illustrated has an interesting story on new Angels owner Arte Moreno. The story is by Phil taylor. I found some things to be very interesting but none bigger then this:

"He's trying to spend money to make money, hoping to raise his team's profile and therefore expand its fan base and increase it's revenue, particularly in its radio and television deals."

Business 101 isn't it?

Also this comes from a sidebar story on the Dodgers by John Schulian (I wonder if he's the same guy who worked in Chicago???) Pg. 60.

Anyway if true, the implications are stunning.

"As Ross Newhan, the Los Angeles Times's perspicacious baseball writer, reported, ' Industry sources said (the Dodgers) had made a legitimate offer for (Vlad) Guerrero before he signed with the Angels but Frank McCourt refused to approve it when Commissioner Bud Selig couldn't assure him that a major investment might not prompt some owners to oppose his purchase."

Unbelievable.....so if a prospective owner tries to improve the team he wants to buy, he might not get votes from some owners. Just another name for collusion eh?

I'm beginning to think fans like Go Sox 41 and Torn labrum are on to something. I don't know who's the bigger fool, the owners themselves or the fans who support them even though they know they're getting screwed by going out and attending games instead of sitting home and following on TV, the radio or their favorite web site.

Amazing.

Lip

npdempse
02-06-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
"As Ross Newhan, the Los Angeles Times's perspicacious baseball writer, reported, ' Industry sources said (the Dodgers) had made a legitimate offer for (Vlad) Guerrero before he signed with the Angels but Frank McCourt refused to approve it when Commissioner Bud Selig couldn't assure him that a major investment might not prompt some owners to oppose his purchase."

Unbelievable.....so if a prospective owner tries to improve the team he wants to buy, he might not get votes from some owners. Just another name for collusion eh?

While there may also have been five guys gunning for JFK, the non-paranoid explanation is that owners were put off from the beginning by the way McCourt financed the deal, and didn't want him taking on more debt so that they'd have another CO Rockies on their hands in a few years.