PDA

View Full Version : Why cant the sox do this?

ukigdog
02-06-2004, 11:25 AM
We all now the truth now that Maggs does want to stay here in chicago long term, and that it is more the white sox management trying to make maggs look bad that they dont want to give him the money. Well why cant the sox to this:

Why cant they resign magglio to a say 5 year 65-70 million dollar deal, where some would be defferred from this years payroll. bring his salary for this year down to 10-12 million. that saves us 2-4 million. Not only would this be a smart move, because he is one of the best players in baseball, but because alot more fans would come to games with a new respect for whitesox if they took care of their own.

Second, take a page out of st. louis's playbook, and ask PK or Koch to take a defferred salary, like some of st louis players are doing. Say koch to about 4 million for this year and Konerko about 5 million for this year. That cuts our salary for this year down by 5 million more.

Combine that 5 million with the 2-4 from maggs long term contract, then your looking at 7-9 million saved. What do you do with this money??? Go out and get Maddux. Personally, i think we would have our 14-15 game winner to replace what colon did, solidify our starting roster. Fan favorite like him would also bring a bigger crowd to Comiskey.

These to big moves, the signing of magglio and the signing of maddux along with takatsu will bring in many more fans, because they would see that the whitesox care. And i bet you if this happened we would win our division hands down.

Why cant we do this???

GO SOX!!

fuzzy_patters
02-06-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by ukigdog
We all now the truth now that Maggs does want to stay here in chicago long term, and that it is more the white sox management trying to make maggs look bad that they dont want to give him the money. Well why cant the sox to this:

Why cant they resign magglio to a say 5 year 65-70 million dollar deal, where some would be defferred from this years payroll. bring his salary for this year down to 10-12 million. that saves us 2-4 million. Not only would this be a smart move, because he is one of the best players in baseball, but because alot more fans would come to games with a new respect for whitesox if they took care of their own.

Second, take a page out of st. louis's playbook, and ask PK or Koch to take a defferred salary, like some of st louis players are doing. Say koch to about 4 million for this year and Konerko about 5 million for this year. That cuts our salary for this year down by 5 million more.

Combine that 5 million with the 2-4 from maggs long term contract, then your looking at 7-9 million saved. What do you do with this money??? Go out and get Maddux. Personally, i think we would have our 14-15 game winner to replace what colon did, solidify our starting roster. Fan favorite like him would also bring a bigger crowd to Comiskey.

These to big moves, the signing of magglio and the signing of maddux along with takatsu will bring in many more fans, because they would see that the whitesox care. And i bet you if this happened we would win our division hands down.

Why cant we do this???

GO SOX!!

Salary deferrments are what got the Sox into this mess in the first place. If they hadn't deferred Maggs salary a few years ago, he would not be at 14 mill today. Have you considered the long term ramifications of this?

kittle42
02-06-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by ukigdog
Not only would this be a smart move, because he is one of the best players in baseball, but because alot more fans would come to games with a new respect for whitesox if they took care of their own.

Ha. Ha, ha.

sas1974
02-06-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
Salary deferrments are what got the Sox into this mess in the first place. If they hadn't deferred Maggs salary a few years ago, he would not be at 14 mill today. Have you considered the long term ramifications of this?

Actually, Maggs' salary was not deferred. His contract was just back-loaded. I think was he meant was deferring some money a few years down the road, say 2010. It's becoming pretty common nowadays.

fuzzy_patters
02-06-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
Actually, Maggs' salary was not deferred. His contract was just back-loaded. I think was he meant was deferring some money a few years down the road, say 2010. It's becoming pretty common nowadays.

It's the same thing. We will get a cheap player now but will have a salary mess when the deferrment kicks in. How is that different from backloading his contract?

TheRockinMT
02-06-2004, 12:09 PM
I agree that the Sox should start talking to Maggs and his agent now about a long term contract. If Maggs wants market value it would appear he is getting paid close to it now so a 5 or 6 year contract at $14M or so a year is not out of the Sox ability to pay.

Keep Maggs, Konerko and Thomas, et al, and sign Maddux. Jerry can open up the wallet once this year and get us a proven starter, who can probbaly win 15-20 games in the AL. Heeping our offesne intact and adding Maddux would give us the best of both worlds.

Tekijawa
02-06-2004, 12:11 PM
I don't care who they get I'm not going to the games because the seats are blue!

sas1974
02-06-2004, 12:15 PM
It's the same thing. We will get a cheap player now but will have a salary mess when the deferrment kicks in. How is that different from backloading his contract?

I agree that if you make a habit out of it that you can get in some big trouble. I am also not sure that Greg Maddux is that guy that I would do it for, but it's not a bad idea in certain circumstances. First of all, a million dollars is not going to have the same value in 5-10 years as it does now. And second, although it's been discussed at great length on here, I think the Sox do it sometimes in the hope that they can trade the player before they have to pay him that big year or two.

sas1974
02-06-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
I don't care who they get I'm not going to the games because the seats are blue!

Yes, but at least the upper deck "doesn't seem as steep." I was unaware that they had David Copperfield on the design team to create such an amazing illusion.

Frater Perdurabo
02-06-2004, 12:24 PM

While this may be semantics, when a contract is "backloaded," it pays more money in the later years of the contract. So yes, technically it is "deferring" money to later on, but all the money will be paid during the term of the contract, not after.

I think "deferred payment" refers to when a sum of money is scheduled to be paid at a date after the term of the contract has expired.

Maggs current contract was backloaded because he would be paid more in the last year of the contract than the previous years. But, the full amount of the contract will have been paid by the end of 2004, the end date of the contract. His current contract would have had deferred money if it expired at the end of 2004 but $X million was scheduled to be paid in 2005 or after.

I hope I haven't obfuscated the issue even more...

kittle42
02-06-2004, 12:34 PM
Why does anyone at all have even a sliver of hope that the Sox would sign Greg Maddux? It really makes no sense to me. They are not in the running and never have been mentioned as being in the running, and Maddux has been strongly rumored to want to stay in the NL. Further, the Sox are in "no position" to add another big salary, according to them.

sas1974
02-06-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
Why does anyone at all have even a sliver of hope that the Sox would sign Greg Maddux? It really makes no sense to me. They are not in the running and never have been mentioned as being in the running, and Maddux has been strongly rumored to want to stay in the NL. Further, the Sox are in "no position" to add another big salary, according to them.

It's a complete pipe dream! As in - if you are dreaming about Greg Maddux in a Sox uni, PUT DOWN THE PIPE!!

StillMissOzzie
02-06-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
While this may be semantics, when a contract is "backloaded," it pays more money in the later years of the contract. So yes, technically it is "deferring" money to later on, but all the money will be paid during the term of the contract, not after.

I think "deferred payment" refers to when a sum of money is scheduled to be paid at a date after the term of the contract has expired.

Maggs current contract was backloaded because he would be paid more in the last year of the contract than the previous years. But, the full amount of the contract will have been paid by the end of 2004, the end date of the contract. His current contract would have had deferred money if it expired at the end of 2004 but $X million was scheduled to be paid in 2005 or after.

I hope I haven't obfuscated the issue even more...

I think you did a great job of explaining the difference, Frater. Back-loading helps out a little more on a cash-flow basic, as you're paying out less $$ today and more tomorrow. Deferral has some tax advantages, as the deferred money is NOT taxed at the (prsumably highest) same rate as the last dollar of income earned during the contract. Talk about obfuscation...

As for Maddux, I want to see him in a Dodger or Cardinal uni instead. It may facilitate a PK trade, it keeps him out of the Scrubs' plans, and saves us from the media orgasm of Maddux' 300th win, unless it's AGAINST the Scrubs at Wrigley.

SMO
:gulp:

ND_Sox_Fan
02-06-2004, 08:29 PM
I agree that Maddux is not coming to the Southside, but in the line of this year's great PR plan to discredit the Cubs, this would work well.

jordan23ventura
02-07-2004, 12:39 AM
Backloading? Why not front loading? Sign a couple key guys to long term deals and drop as many high players as possible that don't figure into long term planning.

I would much rather lose pathetically for two years and have a chance to go far into the playoffs in three than just half-ass it three years in a row. This midseason trade crap only works if you're giving up the talent or if you're getting a quality player whose contract doesn't expire after the season. Otherwise, all that happens is the farm system depletes and you find yourself with a sub-par Spring Training squad the next year. Where's the progress?

"Grinders" need to be in the line-up on opening day. Fans shouldn't have to wait until July to support the team. The only use in backloading a contract is if it is a guy you know you're going to eventually trade: see Magglio Ordonez .

Kid T
02-08-2004, 11:37 PM
Call me a cynic - I don't think Maggs really wants to stay. I think he wants to cash in and by saying that he prefers to stay, he might indcue the Sox to overpay to avoid bad PR.

SEALgep
02-08-2004, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Kid T
Call me a cynic - I don't think Maggs really wants to stay. I think he wants to cash in and by saying that he prefers to stay, he might indcue the Sox to overpay to avoid bad PR.

I hope not, but that's a very real possibility.

SSN721
02-09-2004, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Kid T

I completely agree with this. Everything up until the point in Venezuela where he stated he wanted to stay in Chicago leaned towards him wanting more money and to go out an test the market. The time he said it and the way it was said sounded more like damage control to cover his ass and make Sox management look like the bad guys. That being said, I in no way mean to imply I don't think the Sox should still do everything within their power to keep him. I truly hope he sees that the market is going down and will be reasonable to stay with this organization.