PDA

View Full Version : Moronoti goes for yard today - 2/06/04

inta
02-06-2004, 06:27 AM
he's been much less infuriating in his last few sox articles (which have been over the space of about 8 months), but today he just hits it out of the park. completely captures what a bleak, hopeless state this club is in these days.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay06.html

i think i just saw a pig fly by my window.

although, this begs the question is; is he taking advantage of sox fans annoyance with management to make us sympathetic to his blacklisting by the sox?

SSN721
02-06-2004, 07:10 AM
In general not too bad of an article. But seems to me that Mariotti is very much over blowing the comments made by Hawk, just because he was singled out. I don't have exact quotes from Hawk but I think he was just talking about the bias and negativity towards the team by the media which I think a vast majority of us here would agree with. I know that he singled out Mariotti as a culprit in this but who here disagrees. And Mariotti takes the stance of blowing it out of proportion and never once mentioning his own obvious bias towards the cubs when he writes about them. I guess I need to hear direct quotes from Hawk, I know he singled out Mariotti but I don't think he ever actually blamed him for the teams problems that was stated in the article.

I also believe that his point on Ordonez may be flawed. If Mariotti truly believes that all Ordonez wants to do is stay in Chicago just because he says it and sounds sincere then he truly is one of the worst sports journalists I have ever seen. Has he bothered to add any of the quotes in which Ordonez says he wants to test the market? Or even criticize at all the fact that Ordonez says the market is going up? THE MARKET IS GOING UP???!! Thats crazy, yet not a word about that. He only added everything in there that would put the most negative spin on the article so he could defend himself. As he called Williams childish in the article it seems of a lot of his points or flawed so he can make a childish argument depending himself. Come to think of it, maybe it isn't that great of a n article :D: That being said, I completely agree with the fact they should do everything within their power to sign Maggs long term now, would make the future year bright, something positive. :cool:

hellenicsoxfan
02-06-2004, 07:51 AM
This guy Moronotti just makes me cringe when I read him. I feel like I need to take a shower to wash the stench off after reading one of his articles, even when he makes some good points as he did in this article.
I wish he would stop writing articles about the Sox and making suggestions. God forbid we should take any advice from this tool. Remember, this is the same guy who said the Rams would beat the Patriots 103-3 two years ago and that the Bears should make Dick Jauron GM and Gary Crowton head coach before some other NFL team came and stole Crowton away. To paraphrase and steal a line from David Letterman, Moronotti was happy about the Janet Jackson incident during half time because that meant he wasn't the biggest boob at the Super Bowl.

34rancher
02-06-2004, 08:12 AM
Why would we expect him to quote Hawk right? He was not at the conference. He did what he always does......sloppy journalism. He just quotes other quotes and thinks he knows everything and is a journalistic God. Has anyone else sent any letters to ESPN radio requesting he get fired recently? I know that he must be hurting if they are bringing on Jurko and Bruce Levine to help him out and try to draw listeners. The Score must be ecstatic that he is on. I bet their ratings have gone up. Jay, if you read this......you have cost your newspaper a subscription from me, and you have caused ESPN radio to lose a listener. But then again, I know that your ego won't permit you to care.

thepaulbowski
02-06-2004, 08:32 AM
I think the article hits the nail on the head in one respect, with Hawk blaming the media. This organ-I-zation doesn't get it, the reason they are looked at the way they are by the media is their own fault. Maybe if they did things to excite their fan base, positive things would be written. They are not media friendly and having the company mouth (Hawk) complain about it is childish. These Sox employees are suppose to be professionals, it time they start acting like. The part I like about Mariotti being the ESPN radio is, you know it makes JR's blood boil. He used to be able to oversee a lot of the decisions they made at AM 1000, but he has lost most of that power.

Don't fear though, if things don't go well this season, the fans will take the scapegoat title from the media.

"Root for who you got"-New White Sox Slogan

Mickster
02-06-2004, 08:52 AM
I hate Mariotti as much as the next guy but..... The TRUTH hurts. Not much in his article that I disagree with.

sas1974
02-06-2004, 09:04 AM
As much as I hate to admit it, there is a lot of truth to this one. If you can look past the retaliatory remarks, the main point of the article is that the Sox should re-sign Maggs now. I think getting this out of the way before the season starts would help right a few of the wrongs they have made this off season.

JDP
02-06-2004, 10:02 AM
"Considering he's never hit below .300 ..."

Another superb research job Mariotti.

poorme
02-06-2004, 10:04 AM
I agree with every single statement in that article.

quade36
02-06-2004, 10:04 AM
I agree with the point of resigning Maggs being a good PR move, however as a professional journalist he should not take his column as a form of lashing back at what people say about him. That is very very immature. He is suppose to write a professional non-personal non-biased column. It is obvious he has a grudge against what Hawk said. However, it is not his job to tell us about his grudge. He is suppose to write an article on a topic involving sports, not his personal conflicts.

SEALgep
02-06-2004, 10:17 AM
You guys agree with everything in this article? I certainly don't, but the main thing I'll focus on asking you is, do you really think if we offered Maggs a five year 12 million dollar deal, that he would take it. You're crazy if you do. If that was all he wanted, the deal would have been done a long time ago. Maggs wants closer to 15+ million per year for five to six years.

Palehose13
02-06-2004, 10:19 AM
A Kosher dog without onions is a no-brainer???? It is obvious this guy doesn't go to Comiskey or even know good ballpark food.

He is blowing everything that Hawk said out of proportion, not that it surprises me. And if KW would have been "professional" with his answer, Moronotti would have blasted him for no being honest and sincere with fans. You can't win with this guy, but why should you trust someone that doesn't want onions (especially of the grilled variety) on their sandwich???

poorme
02-06-2004, 10:27 AM
Hawk made his personal vendetta against Mariotti into a news story.

Mariotti is a columnist, not a reporter. Big difference. Nearly all columnists write about their personal experiences with celebrities, athletes, politicians, etc.

Personally I think Mariotti is a jerk, but he hit the nail on the head here.

I highly doubt the Sox have offered him a 5 year $60 million deal.

StepsInSC
02-06-2004, 10:31 AM
"It could be even more if you take into account that the market is going up again. I want a five- or six-year contract so I can relax and be in one place for a long time. I hope that can be in Chicago, a city that I like a lot.''

Eh? The market is going up?

jeremyb1
02-06-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by SSN721
In general not too bad of an article. But seems to me that Mariotti is very much over blowing the comments made by Hawk, just because he was singled out. I don't have exact quotes from Hawk but I think he was just talking about the bias and negativity towards the team by the media which I think a vast majority of us here would agree with. I know that he singled out Mariotti as a culprit in this but who here disagrees. And Mariotti takes the stance of blowing it out of proportion and never once mentioning his own obvious bias towards the cubs when he writes about them. I guess I need to hear direct quotes from Hawk, I know he singled out Mariotti but I don't think he ever actually blamed him for the teams problems that was stated in the article.

Yeah. Ironically, in the way Mariotti addresses Hawk's accusations he more or less proves his point.

sas1974
02-06-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
Eh? The market is going up?

Yes, I am not sure where Maggs is getting his info on that one. the market certainly doesn't appear to be going up to me.

Perhaps he go his info from the same guy that told A-Rod that Texas had a great farm system and pitching staff....

Brian26
02-06-2004, 10:45 AM
Another ridiculous article by Jay. The comments by Hawk were completely taken out of context, as were Kenny's. Unless you were there and understood the overall atmosphere in the room, it's really unfair to quote two lines from either Hawk or Kenny as if they were losing their temper with the innoncent Sox fans. Kenny's response was pretty fair considering the brashness of the guy asking the question on Friday night. Still, the spirit and mood of all three seminars was consistent, as there were some tense moments filled with bottom-line passion on both sides of the stage. I felt like both sides came out of there with a better understanding and respect for each other, and for that reason, it was a completely worthwhile, productive weekend.

What Hawk said about Jay's obvious one-sided feud with Jerry Reinsdorf, trying to stir up controversy and make a name for himself just like Mike Lupica did in New York City with his railing against the Boss many years ago, is absolutely 100% true. Hawk called him on it, and now Jay's on the defensive.

Mickster
02-06-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
You guys agree with everything in this article? I certainly don't, but the main thing I'll focus on asking you is, do you really think if we offered Maggs a five year 12 million dollar deal, that he would take it. You're crazy if you do. If that was all he wanted, the deal would have been done a long time ago. Maggs wants closer to 15+ million per year for five to six years.

SEAL, we have no idea what the sox have offered. Regardless of what Mags thinks the market is, he's not going to get $15m per with the current CBA expiring in 2006. Moreno offered 70m to Vlad, which I feel will turn out to be a bad business move. Mark my words.

Mags also thinks the market is going up?? What's he smoking? He should make sure he leavs that stuff south of the border upon his return to the states.

Let's face it, we're NEVER going to have a 100m payroll. All of the comlaining that people do about AROD and his 25m/yr contract must realize that it is 1/4 of the Rangers total team payroll. If the WS payroll lingers around 60-65m (which I don't agree with, mind you) we would be doing the same with Mags as Texas has done with AROD, just to a lesser dollar figure.

I recently read an article on Theo Epstein who was asked what the BoSox would do if Garciaparra left after the 2004 season...Would they use the 12-15m/yr figure to go out and sign a marquis player? His answer was that sometimes it is better to have three 5-6m players than to have one 15m player. Good answer!

Go through this league and I am sure that you can easily find 2-3 players with salaries in the 5-6m range that could easily replace Mags. Our prioblem is that our GM likes to pay $5m for a $2m SS and $8m for a $2m 1B!

doublem23
02-06-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
Another ridiculous article by Jay. The comments by Hawk were completely taken out of context, as were Kenny's. Unless you were there and understood the overall atmosphere in the room, it's really unfair to quote two lines from either Hawk or Kenny as if they were losing their temper with the innoncent Sox fans. Kenny's response was pretty fair considering the brashness of the guy asking the question on Friday night. Still, the spirit and mood of all three seminars was consistent, as there were some tense moments filled with bottom-line passion on both sides of the stage. I felt like both sides came out of there with a better understanding and respect for each other, and for that reason, it was a completely worthwhile, productive weekend.

What Hawk said about Jay's obvious one-sided feud with Jerry Reinsdorf, trying to stir up controversy and make a name for himself just like Mike Lupica did in New York City with his railing against the Boss many years ago, is absolutely 100% true. Hawk called him on it, and now Jay's on the defensive.

Thank you, Brian. I was wondering how long it would take before someone would see through Mariotti. The guy is a shmo, and I'd wipe my ass with this little "column," but I don't want to waste the thity-five cents on a Sun-Times, nor go back to their site and keep the counter up. Jay Mariotti = Scum of the Earth.

SEALgep
02-06-2004, 10:50 AM

That's exactly what happened.

SEALgep
02-06-2004, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Mickster
SEAL, we have no idea what the sox have offered. Regardless of what Mags thinks the market is, he's not going to get $15m per with the current CBA expiring in 2006. Moreno offered 70m to Vlad, which I feel will turn out to be a bad business move. Mark my words.

I never claimed to know actual figures. I know the Sox attempted to negotiate with him and he refused. If Maggs was willing to except a fair deal right now, which is about 5 years 60 million, I said the deal would have been done. That's all I said, I never claimed that deal was on the table. KW knows he's not willing to take that contract when Maggs thinks he's worth over 14 million a year.

rdivaldi
02-06-2004, 11:04 AM
I also agree that Kotex Boy neglected to say how stupid it would be for a team to use 20-25% of their payroll to sign one player. I'm a fan of Maggs but if he wants $13-15 million a year, he's nuts if he thinks a team that draws less than 2 million fans a year is going to give it to him.

SEALgep
02-06-2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by rdivaldi
I also agree that Kotex Boy neglected to say how stupid it would be for a team to use 20-25% of their payroll to sign one player. I'm a fan of Maggs but if he wants $13-15 million a year, he's nuts if he thinks a team that draws less than 2 million fans a year is going to give it to him.

I don't think he's nuts, I think he knows the best offer will come elsewhere. He's just keeping the door open if the Sox surprise him. I don't have a problem offering a five year $60,000,000 deal, I just don't think he'll take it. I really don't think it's smart to offer more than what Vlad got. I think there maybe a team that will, but I really don't think it's smart for the Sox to be that club.

Hangar18
02-06-2004, 11:19 AM
this was a good Article. You can tell the MEDIA is
reading out posts here, but I dont care....This is A Story
ThaT Needs to be told ............ Cmon Mariotti, there
are more stories here, Rip This Team A New One........
they deserve it

Lip Man 1
02-06-2004, 11:23 AM
One of the main points of the column is this:

"The Sox have made their own bed with a series of disastrous p.r. blunders through time, yet starting at the top, they refuse to look in the mirror for the real problems. Instead, they blame imagined forces in the media, which sounds as paranoid as it is absurd.

If the Sox spent half as much energy on winning as they do on identifying media adversaries, they would have won three or four pennants by now.

But there is no chance of the Sox doing anything that makes sense. As always, they are their own worst enemy."

That it is being overlooked by some of you is surprising and is cause for concern. You don't need to agree or like Mariotti and the Chicago media to see the truth in this statement.

The White Sox 'philosophy' has always been, "BLAME SOMEONE ELSE." (i.e. the media, the fans, the player's and the player agents, the union...) Everyone but those who are running the Sox show they always have an excuse, always have a scapegoat.

Lip

SEALgep
02-06-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

"The Sox have made their own bed with a series of disastrous p.r. blunders through time, yet starting at the top, they refuse to look in the mirror for the real problems. Instead, they blame imagined forces in the media, which sounds as paranoid as it is absurd.

If the Sox spent half as much energy on winning as they do on identifying media adversaries, they would have won three or four pennants by now.

But there is no chance of the Sox doing anything that makes sense. As always, they are their own worst enemy."

That it is being overlooked by some of you is surprising and is cause for concern. You don't need to agree or like Mariotti and the Chicago media to see the truth in this statement.

The White Sox 'philosophy' has always been, "BLAME SOMEONE ELSE." (i.e. the media, the fans, the player's and the player agents, the union...) Everyone but those who are running the Sox show they always have an excuse, always have a scapegoat.

Lip

That comment is very vague and even if you agree with it, it was only one aspect of the article. The rest of the article is just him venting his anger at Hawk for calling him out. He's just mad and decided to exaggerate and criticize because no one can refute him.

3rdgensoxfan
02-06-2004, 11:37 AM
In my opinion, Marrioti didn't "go yard" with this article. He stood at the plate and watched strike three fly by him. Any attempt at drawing a comparison between a newspaper columnist and Osama Bin Laden is absurd. Furthermore, none of the comments that Harrelson has made even suggest that he would accuse newspaper columnists of even being remotely related to or similar to a head of a terrorist organization. The basis of any column is the facts behind it. Throughout the column, he lacks them and botches them in other places.

Yes, the Cubs have come off a strong year. Kerry Wood and Mark Prior remained healthy and logged a lot of innings. The Cubs have tried to play off last years momentum by making some high cost additions to the team. If I'm not mistaken, the Diamondbacks won the World Series a few years ago and then struggled in the next few years because their two aces, Schilling and Johnson landed on the disabled list. Both Prior and Wood are young pitchers who logged more innings than they are accustomed to. There always remains the possibility that they could be on the DL during this season and the Cubs' season could quickly go south.

Finally, Mariotti brings up the topic of budgets and money. I read a Sports Illustrated article a few years ago about baseball budgets. I believe that at least fifty percent of the teams in baseball were in the red. The White Sox were one of only a few teams to turn a small profit. I would rather see the White Sox turn a small profit each year and always remain a viable team and not face the situations like the Rockies or Milwaukee than go on a spending binge.

While this offseason has been disappointing. Especially when we watched Free Agents walk away to smaller contracts. However, I remain hopeful that Loaiza will continue to have success, Thomas will surprise everyone and the less experienced players develop into better players.

Who knows, the White Sox could be the next Florida Marlins.

jshanahanjr
02-06-2004, 11:38 AM
I'm glad this is in the open. Magglio wants to saty for market value. Will the Sox keep him? Ventura knows the answer.

SEALgep
02-06-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by jshanahanjr
I'm glad this is in the open. Magglio wants to saty for market value. Will the Sox keep him? Ventura knows the answer.
Don't be mislead. His impression of market value is over 14 million dollars for five years. Probably closer to 15-16 million a year. I'm sorry, but that's a huge commitment for any player, especially when Vlad's contract is less.

quade36
02-06-2004, 12:01 PM
A columnist is suppose to be non-biased. If you ever listen to Mac Jurko and Harry, they voice their opinion all the time. They voice their experiences all the time. But after the always say, 'Our opinion may not be right.' Jay falls into the category of Jim Rome and Mike North. People who always think they are right. Jay personally attacked people in his article. Thats not cool. You don't do that, whether you are a reporter, dj, or a columnist.

rdivaldi
02-06-2004, 12:04 PM

While no one can deny the fact that our beloved Sox have made plenty of blunders, it is also irresponsible and naive to think that the media did not play a role in creating the Sox image.

In this instance Kotex Boy wants his cake and eat it too. He wants to write negative articles that emphasize Sox blunders and then turn around and say that they have no effect on anyone.

Sorry, but that's childish and cowardly.

That's just made up garbage. I'm glad someone has a "crystal ball".

But this has no effect on Sox fans, right Kotex Boy? We should just give up on this team....

joecrede
02-06-2004, 12:14 PM
I never knew Mariotti was as thin-skinned as he appeared to be on his radio show today. He can dish it out ...

rdivaldi
02-06-2004, 12:28 PM
As much as it pains me to admit he actually is okay on the radio show, at least it gives me a second choice besides Murph jerking off to the Flubs all morning.

But as soon as the White Sox are mentioned Kotex Boy morphs into a different guy. His vendetta against JR completely takes over...

ode to veeck
02-06-2004, 12:50 PM
The interesting thing to me about this article is that some of the fundamental truths about the Sox problems (PR, owners should look in the mirror, stupid come then we will build it mentality, etc.) are so obvious that even a ranting flatworm intellect dense moron like Moronatti can see them and write about them--I commend him for publicizing these truths more widely.

That said, I just ignored the Hawk bashing and his one sided story on the Mags situation, sure it would be nice to sign him , but beyond that statement, the rest of Moronatti's drivel gets into the usual inaccuracies etc.

Normally, a situation like this, where a lunatic mixes in a few essential critical truths amidst a bunch of misinformation can be very dangerous, but somehow I just ignored the Hawk/ Mags crap and just enjoyed the rest of the article as its very rare to see some of the truths on the Sox managment get any copy in either of Chicago's major papers

SoxxoS
02-06-2004, 12:56 PM
The point about the restaurants not serving their best food unless people come in and pack the place...is probably the best point this guy has ever made...

:discomoron

Yes, it is my favorite tag...

mdep524
02-06-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Mickster

Mags also thinks the market is going up?? What's he smoking? He should make sure he leavs that stuff south of the border upon his return to the states.

Let's face it, we're NEVER going to have a 100m payroll. All of the comlaining that people do about AROD and his 25m/yr contract must realize that it is 1/4 of the Rangers total team payroll. If the WS payroll lingers around 60-65m (which I don't agree with, mind you) we would be doing the same with Mags as Texas has done with AROD, just to a lesser dollar figure.

I recently read an article on Theo Epstein who was asked what the BoSox would do if Garciaparra left after the 2004 season...Would they use the 12-15m/yr figure to go out and sign a marquis player? His answer was that sometimes it is better to have three 5-6m players than to have one 15m player. Good answer!

Go through this league and I am sure that you can easily find 2-3 players with salaries in the 5-6m range that could easily replace Mags. Our prioblem is that our GM likes to pay $5m for a $2m SS and $8m for a $2m 1B!

Really good points Mickster, I agree. Sure, signing Maggs would be great, but, as much as I hate to say this, he is only a RF. A good one, but not one who can't be replaced. The Sox shouldn't feel undue pressure to sign him JUST because he is a homegrown product. If the Sox lock him up for $15 mil/year it is really going to handcuff what they will do with anybody else for the next five years-- certainly they would then cry poor on ANY other possible acquisitions, so we might be stuck with Maggs and a team of crap. Meanwhile, if a trade could yield us a Soriano or a Jackson or a Miller or a middle of the rotation guy like Perez or Garcia... the Sox as a team might be better off.

How many $15 mil/yr guys did the Marlins have last year? None- IROad was their highest paid player at $9 mil. The Angels had no one over $10 mil in '02 as well. I'm not saying the Sox shouldn't sign Mags long term, I'm just saying it's not a "no brainer."

(the only "no brainer" is Jay Mariotti's cranium)

poorme
02-06-2004, 01:17 PM
Um, I think Mariotti's point is that the payroll should be much higher. You know, the restaurant metaphor. Serve a good product and you will be successful....

steff
02-06-2004, 01:19 PM
I was there. I heard what was said - unprevoked might I add - by Hawk. And I agree with Jay in responding. The article was right on the $$.

voodoochile
02-06-2004, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by poorme
Um, I think Mariotti's point is that the payroll should be much higher. You know, the restaurant metaphor. Serve a good product and you will be successful....

:reinsy
"No no no... It's keep the costs in line and then you can stay in business longer. Then we will make up the lost business over time..."

Brian26
02-06-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
The point about the restaurants not serving their best food unless people come in and pack the place...is probably the best point this guy has ever made...

How ironic, too, when that very metaphor was used in the Saturday seminar by a fan at the mic. Remember the guy talking about opening the steakhouse on the soutside? And he said the steak might be a little tender, but he'll promise to get a better cut if you come eat there more often?

Jay doesn't have any original thoughts or ideas.

doublem23
02-06-2004, 01:35 PM

We've been making that analogy for a while around these parts. Maybe the Municipal Moron spends more time here than we think?

:moron
I admit it... I sold my sense of decency, intelligence, and creativity to the devil to ensure I'd be Max Kellerman's favorite!

ChiSoxBobette
02-06-2004, 01:50 PM
You must be a scrub idiot!

duke of dorwood
02-06-2004, 03:23 PM

Build me a new park so I can compete in the marketplace

No players until you fans give me the attendance and $ to compete

WHERE DOES IT END WITH THIS SNAKE OIL SALESMAN?

For Hawk and others to deflect criticism off him is cowardice and this miser is just getting richer.

Mother Miser

TaylorStSox
02-06-2004, 03:40 PM
This idea that we should offer Maggs the same contract as Vlad is absurd. Maggs is a great player. There's no question about that. Yet, let's not forget that Vlad is better at EVERY facet of the game.

inta
02-06-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

AMEN!

also that analogy he made about not serving the best food until more customers show up was pretty good.

steff
02-06-2004, 05:11 PM
How ironic, too, when that very metaphor was used in the Saturday seminar by a fan at the mic. Remember the guy talking about opening the steakhouse on the soutside? And he said the steak might be a little tender, but he'll promise to get a better cut if you come eat there more often?

Jay doesn't have any original thoughts or ideas.

Brian.. Jay used quotes around the quote.. he was quoting the guy from the fest...

SoxFan76
02-06-2004, 05:13 PM
(Sorry if I repeat comments from past posts, I didn't read all of them)

I agree with the column. Most of what he said was correct. I don't mind when reporters rip on the Sox management. I don't feel that makes them pro-Cubs or anti-Sox, because it's the truth.

BUT, what does bug the hell out of me, is when the reporters have a great column going, then mention something stupid like how much more inferior Sox fans are compared to Cub fans, or ripping on the stadium (which I think is a great place to watch a game--different subject entirely though), or in the case of this article, talking about the ballpark drunks beating up on umpires/first base coaches. They in no way represent Sox fans, and I wish they would stop being brought up in columns. The rest of the country already thinks Comiskey is full of drunken criminals. The last thing we need is Chicago media people mentioning it still. The Sox fanbase has decreased over the years, and as much as the management is to blame, the media isn't really helping the cause either. They are pretty content with the Cubs ruling Chicago. So my point, try writing a column about the Sox without ONE little smart remark. Nobody seems to be able to do that yet. No wonder we get such a bad name.

rdivaldi
02-06-2004, 05:16 PM
So my point, try writing a column about the Sox without ONE little smart remark. Nobody seems to be able to do that yet. No wonder we get such a bad name.

But don't forget that the media isn't responsible for anything negative that happens to the Sox.

ode to veeck
02-06-2004, 05:27 PM
The rest of the country already thinks Comiskey is full of drunken criminals.

Too bad the truth is not reported, i.e. that Comiskey is full of drunken Flubs fans who attack people on the field

StillMissOzzie
02-06-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
A Kosher dog without onions is a no-brainer???? It is obvious this guy doesn't go to Comiskey or even know good ballpark food.

You can't win with this guy, but why should you trust someone that doesn't want onions (especially of the grilled variety) on their sandwich???

You took the words right out of my mouth (and off MY hot dog), Palehose!

I agree with most of what Jay wrote here, but I already smell a White Sox lowball offer coming; wait until we hear of the "5/$50M, the most we've ever offered an outfielder" offer that everyone and their brother knows will be topeed. Then KW and JR can throw their hands up and claim, "We tried!"

SMO
:(:

Palehose13
02-06-2004, 05:32 PM
BUT, what does bug the hell out of me, is when the reporters have a great column going, then mention something stupid like how much more inferior Sox fans are compared to Cub fans, or ripping on the stadium (which I think is a great place to watch a game--different subject entirely though), or in the case of this article, talking about the ballpark drunks beating up on umpires/first base coaches. They in no way represent Sox fans, and I wish they would stop being brought up in columns. The rest of the country already thinks Comiskey is full of drunken criminals. The last thing we need is Chicago media people mentioning it still. The Sox fanbase has decreased over the years, and as much as the management is to blame, the media isn't really helping the cause either. They are pretty content with the Cubs ruling Chicago. So my point, try writing a column about the Sox without ONE little smart remark. Nobody seems to be able to do that yet. No wonder we get such a bad name.

This is my problem with the media and I hope these are the things that Hawk is going to address this upcoming season. IIRC, Comiskey didn't get such a bad rap until Moronotti started his "ballmall" stuff.

Maximo
02-06-2004, 09:20 PM
Here's my problem..........I agree with a lot of what is written in the article. I only wish the author would have been different.

tlebar318
02-06-2004, 11:03 PM

:discomoron

Yes, it is my favorite tag...

To use another poster's nickname "kotex boy" is not a fan of the sox--never has been and never will be BUT that said I must say that the comment in the quote above as it relates to attendance and product on the field is so true---"Build it and they will come" is the way they should be looking at it---Sox management that is--JR is a problem....Sell Jerry Sell! Is DeBartolo still available? The future is so bright I gotta wear shades! :cool: :D: Beer Me! :gulp:

Brian26
02-06-2004, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by steff
Brian.. Jay used quotes around the quote.. he was quoting the guy from the fest...

Actually, in the context of that column, he's not.

The quotes are used to show that someone is making that statement, but it's not a direct quote from Soxfest.

It may be confusing because he is taking other direct quotes later in the column. The steakhouse quote isn't a quote from the fest.

Brian26
02-06-2004, 11:32 PM
Jay writes:

Considering how Sox executives treat the public, it's amazing they still have any fans. It's appalling that Williams often has delivered a message that he won't hike the payroll unless more fans show up, a backward strategy that would be condemned by any acclaimed business school. Imagine if a restaurant told regulars, "We're not going to make the best food possible unless you pack our place every night.'' It's the height of arrogance, an attitude that grows uglier by the year while Chicago grows into a predominant Cubs bastion.

Steff- I think he's just ripping off the steakhouse example used at Soxfest, but he's not attributing that as a quote from a fan at Soxfest.

Iwritecode
02-06-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by 3rdgensoxfan
I would rather see the White Sox turn a small profit each year and always remain a viable team and not face the situations like the Rockies or Milwaukee than go on a spending binge.

JR is that you??? You'd rather see the Sox make money and finish second every year (with a playoff appearance once every ten years...) than see them go out spend the money and get something this city hasn't seen in almost 100 years???

Personally, I'd take one WS ring and a few last place finishes afterwards over the crap we've been given the past 20 years...

Originally posted by 3rdgensoxfan
Who knows, the White Sox could be the next Florida Marlins.

We have too many 1b/DH types and not nearly enough pitching for that...

Originally posted by mdep524
Sure, signing Maggs would be great, but, as much as I hate to say this, he is only a RF. A good one, but not one who can't be replaced.

Yea, like the way they replaced Colon and Alomar this year and Robin Ventura way back when...

jordan23ventura
02-07-2004, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by doublem23

:moron

Is that really Mariotti?? *****, I swore I thought for the longest time that was Joey Buttafuco!

Oh yeah, and why is that every morning on my way to work I hear this idiot being plugged left and right? He's got a damn jingle!! What HAS this world come to?

jordan23ventura
02-07-2004, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by jshanahanjr

Strangely enough, I just got off a conference call with Miss Cleo and Danny Bonaducci and the general concensus is..... (drum roll please) he is staying!

...but not for long. A four year deal with a club option for a fifth will be worked out but he will not see two full years of it in a Sox uni.

TornLabrum
02-07-2004, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by jordan23ventura
Is that really Mariotti?? *****, I swore I thought for the longest time that was Joey Buttafuco!

Oh yeah, and why is that every morning on my way to work I hear this idiot being plugged left and right? He's got a damn jingle!! What HAS this world come to?

Was it Dan McNeil who used to call him Eddie Munster?

One of the funniest TV shows in the world was the old Chevrolet Sportsfire show that used to be on SportsVision when Chet Coppock was host. His sidekick was Mariotti. I swear to God Mariotti acted like Coppock's friggin' lap dog.

Grobber33
02-07-2004, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by tlebar318

JR is a problem....Sell Jerry Sell! Is DeBartolo still available?
:cool: :D: Beer Me! :gulp:

Let me embellish a line from Blues Brothers at the Chez Paul Restaurant uttered by 'Mr.Fabulous'.
'NO SIR,ED DEBARTOLO IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE,,,,,HE'S DEAD SIR!"

gosox41
02-07-2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by inta
he's been much less infuriating in his last few sox articles (which have been over the space of about 8 months), but today he just hits it out of the park. completely captures what a bleak, hopeless state this club is in these days.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay06.html

i think i just saw a pig fly by my window.

although, this begs the question is; is he taking advantage of sox fans annoyance with management to make us sympathetic to his blacklisting by the sox?

First paraghraph is typical Jay. Comparing himself to Osama? Come on.

Bob

oldcomiskey
02-07-2004, 11:41 PM
seems to me like Mariotti is more worried about being singled out than anything else--Ive never heard him rip Harrelson before and its typical tripe from the menopause kid

SEALgep
02-08-2004, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
seems to me like Mariotti is more worried about being singled out than anything else--Ive never heard him rip Harrelson before and its typical tripe from the menopause kid

Lol, I don't think he can handle criticism, only dish it out. He distorted what Hawk said and repeated his exaggerations and hatred towards Hawk every day of his show. If you feel you are right, great, you made your point, now move on. He can't though, he is really frustrated that Hawk called him out. Lol, I used to enjoy his articles, and some I still do, but respect for him is dwindling in my book.

tlebar318
02-08-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Grobber33
Let me embellish a line from Blues Brothers at the Chez Paul Restaurant uttered by 'Mr.Fabulous'.
'NO SIR,ED DEBARTOLO IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE,,,,,HE'S DEAD SIR!"

That is HILARIOUS!!!! Good Quote selection Grobber!
The Blues Brothers is one of the best movies as far as quotable lines--right up there with CaddyShack! :) Beer Me! It's five o'clock somewhere! :gulp: