PDA

View Full Version : What to do with Maggs?

SEALgep
02-06-2004, 01:30 AM
Keep in mind, Reed is an option to play right, as is Borchard. These aren't better options, but options nonetheless. What is the best scenerio for us in dealing with Maggs?

HITMEN OF 77
02-06-2004, 01:39 AM
I don't see him leaving the Sox, as long as we offer him a fair contract.

SEALgep
02-06-2004, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
I don't see him leaving the Sox, as long as we offer him a fair contract.

What contract size is fair in your opinion, assuming Maggs has another similar year?

HITMEN OF 77
02-06-2004, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
What contract size is fair in your opinion, assuming Maggs has another similar year?

I think between 11-13 million a year is fair, for 4 to 5 years. He's worth that.

depy48
02-06-2004, 01:53 AM
well i think you offer money to maggs based off reed's performance. if reed is playing exceptionally well, offer maggs less money.

lowesox
02-06-2004, 01:58 AM
I say try and re-sign him between now and spring training. If you can't and a good trade comes about pull the trigger. If he's still on the Sox the near the deadline and hasn't extended his contract start a bidding war.

That said, I would consider trading him right now if the price is right. And I say that saddly because I love Maggs, but I think that this will probably be the last chance for the current veteran nucleus to win - so whatever it takes.

SSN721
02-06-2004, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by lowesox
I say try and re-sign him between now and spring training. If you can't and a good trade comes about pull the trigger. If he's still on the Sox the near the deadline and hasn't extended his contract start a bidding war.

That said, I would consider trading him right now if the price is right. And I say that saddly because I love Maggs, but I think that this will probably be the last chance for the current veteran nucleus to win - so whatever it takes.

Was going to say the same thing. One of the options on that poll should be to sign Maggs before ST. ANd I would also trade him now if he is sure he will be testing the waters after this year, cuz the Sox would definately win no bidding war to keep him.

Viva Magglio
02-06-2004, 09:03 AM
If it were up to me, my modus operandi would be "What Mágglio wants, Mágglio gets." However, I fear Sox management will lowball Mágglio and drive him away. As much as I think Moronotti is a boob, I do agree with him when he says that the organization will unleash a stealth smear campaign against Mágglio to plant negative seeds in our minds. And, of course, a number of us will fall for that smear campaign hook, line, and sinker.

Frater Perdurabo
02-06-2004, 09:25 AM
I say lock him up now. Start negotiations immediately and with all deliberate speed at 5 years at $12 million per year = $60 million. Negotiate in good faith and in secret. But as the contract negotiations progress, keep trade options open. If and when the negotiations break down, pull the trigger on a deal for pitching.

As for the Sox outfield prospects: Reed, Borchard, Anderson, Sweeney = all promising but there are no guarantees. I'd rather have Maggs in right for the next six years.

soxtalker
02-06-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
I say lock him up now. Start negotiations immediately and with all deliberate speed at 5 years at $12 million per year = $60 million. Negotiate in good faith and in secret. But as the contract negotiations progress, keep trade options open. If and when the negotiations break down, pull the trigger on a deal for pitching...

I suspect that this is what has happened during the past few months. KW does everything in secret, so we probably wouldn't know about the negotiations. His comment at SoxFest that Maggs wanted to test the waters indicates to me that they essentially reached an impass in their negotiations. Now, you may disagree with the terms that the Sox were offering, but that doesn't mean that the negotiations were in bad faith.

Everything is a guess, though. As I said, KW doesn't reveal much.

SEALgep
02-06-2004, 09:44 AM
The problem with Mariotti, is that he thinks Maggs would take a five year 12 million dollar deal. The Sox have tried to negotiate with him several times, and every time he said no and that he wanted to be a FA. All of a sudden, Maggs says he will sign if he can probably more than Vlad, and still didn't say he would sign before season's end. He's going to test the market, his mind and agent's mind are made up. Apparently Hawk is an idiot because we're not going to offer well more than 14 million for 5 years (Vlald's contract.) If Maggs really wants to come back, great, but why won't he negotiate? Sounds like if the Sox are a mill or two off, that he'll walk. I want Maggs, but when does it become too much.

habibharu
02-06-2004, 10:41 AM
5 years, 60 or 70 mil shoudlnt be an optoin

SEALgep
02-06-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by habibharu
5 years, 60 or 70 mil shoudlnt be an optoin

Just to clarify, not making an opinion, do you think that's too much?

Mickster
02-06-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Just to clarify, not making an opinion, do you think that's too much?

Absolutely. I love Mags. Best player on the sox for the last 3 years for many years to come. Probably one of the most consistant offensive players in all of baseball. But WAY too much.

SEALgep
02-06-2004, 11:03 AM
I SHOULD HAVE ASKED THIS IN ADDITION TO THE POLL. IF YOU VOTE THE 70(+) MILLION OPTION, HOW HIGH ARE YOU WILLING TO GO (FOR A 5 YEAR CONTRACT). 75-80-85-90, HOW MUCH?

fuzzy_patters
02-06-2004, 11:31 AM
If the Sox don't trade Maggs in ST, than they should let him leave via free agency and take the draft pick. The Sox have not faired well in mid-season trades when the player being traded is in the last year of his contract because the player does not have much value at that point.

Of course, all this is a moot point if they can resign him. That should obviously be option number one.

SEALgep
02-06-2004, 11:45 AM
Mariotti is going to talk about the situation in a few minutes and pretend to know what he's talking about.