PDA

View Full Version : SoxFans I admire ..... are the Ones who live farthest away from Chicago

Hangar18
02-06-2004, 01:13 AM
You guys all know who you are.....from NY to Maryland, from Virginia to Florida, North Carolina to Texas, Washington to Idaho,
the whole bunch of you in Cali, and our brothers in Europe, England and the like. I was thinking of that the other day at SoxFest and just wanted to give my props. Now go ahead and post in here again ........ LondonSox and Brian have to be the farthest away, in England I would have to say......

npdempse
02-06-2004, 01:20 AM
That is pretty darned impressive.

Do most of these out of towners at least get WGN for the occasional game?

Did they come to love the Sox while living in Chicago, or was it a long thought out choice among all MLB teams?

I had a friend in high school, in upstate NY, who thought it was awesome that I was moving to Chicago because he had become a Sox fan through his idolization of HURT--do the out of town fans come to it through such attachments?

Nifty dynamic.

StillMissOzzie
02-06-2004, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
........ LondonSox and Brian have to be the farthest away, in England I would have to say......

I know that delben(sp?) is currently in New Zealand, checking out the Lord of the Rings locations shots

SMO
:gulp:

Chisox_cali
02-06-2004, 01:24 AM
I get WGN now, and last season used MLB.TV to see the other games.

In '01/'02 my cable system had the Extra Inning package, but moved and thus the MLB.TV.

I was born in california, moved to Park Forest when I was 1, moved back here when I was 11, and have been here since 1995.

lowesox
02-06-2004, 01:26 AM
I live in Vancouver, and before that Toronto but I've been a die-hard Sox fan since Bo Jackson came over. I know that's no comparison to some of you guys who, judging by your posts, seem to have been sox fans since birth.

I loved Bo - and actually was a Royals fan when I first started watching baseball, but then I fell in love with guys like Black Jack, Robin Ventura, Joey Cora, Frank Thomas, Jason Bere and all the other guys. Since then (as I'm sure many of you can understand) my love affair with the WhiteSOx has started to feel more like a disease.

I use internet radio to listen to just about every game. Watch them on WGN (got a sat dish just to watch the sox).

And I think fans who live in Chicago have it way worse because you have to deal with the whole cubbie inferiority BS.

HITMEN OF 77
02-06-2004, 01:26 AM
I see the games in here in Washington on WGN and listen to the other games on my computer ESPN 1000. Also go to Peattle everytime the Sox are in town. Going to Soxfest was a blast 2250 miles ONE way, but all worth it!

pudge
02-06-2004, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
I see the games in here in Washington on WGN and listen to the other games on my computer ESPN 1000. Also go to Peattle everytime the Sox are in town. Going to Soxfest was a blast 2250 miles ONE way, but all worth it!

I was going to say, you must not live in Seattle if you get WGN... I gotta go with DirectTv and the MLB package since WGN is not in the Seattle area.

billyo
02-06-2004, 02:04 AM
This is the first time I've posted on WSI though I have been reading the board since it began. I'm from Australia (a country town called Lismore in New South Wales about an hour from Australia's Gold Coast) and I've been a White Sox fan since 1966. Not sure why I picked the Sox to follow and I've often kicked myself for the decision since. I'm too old and stubborn to change now and will always live in hope for that WS appearance.

I've had some wonderful memories surrounding the Sox however. In 97, just before the infamy of the White Flag trade, I was touring the States as the GM of the Australian Olympic Baseball team. As we passed through Chicago, our manager, an ex-Chicagoan named Mike Young, who managed and coached in the Cleveland and Toronto organisations, arranged for me to throw out the first pitch at a Sox-Yankees game. It was a fantastic night. I met Harold Baines and Frank and the only thing that spoiled the wholw thing was Tino Martinez blast to right field off Wilson Alvarez that proved the winning hit. Anyway, I figure Im the furthest away Sox fan and probably, according to my baseball frieds, one of the most delusional!! Cheers to all and keep flying the flag!

Bill O'Sullivan

Nick@Nite
02-06-2004, 03:12 AM
Now go ahead and post in here again ........ LondonSox and Brian have to be the farthest away, in England I would have to say......

Ops check -- Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzegovina

SluggersAway
02-06-2004, 03:55 AM
You are right, the Sox look good from the french riviera.

I was born in Chicago in 1976, Sox fan ever since.

Can't wait for spring training.

But, the coverage could be better.

Irishsoxfan
02-06-2004, 04:24 AM
Living in Ireland and never been to Chicago but chose to be a Sox fan - who knows why but maybe it's the identification with the 'blue collar' status sox fans have.
Recently a company called NASN have set up shop here televising all major american sports, some live which is great. We also use a swiss company who sell licensed videos of games and you get to choose which games you want. And of course internet radio when you just have to listen to a sox game live.

Bisco Stu
02-06-2004, 04:36 AM
The Bay Area chapter of White Sox Nation representin'!

Realist
02-06-2004, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Nick@Nite
Ops check -- Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzegovina

Are you Bosnian or are you an American that's working there? I was in Sarajevo once in 1988 - best cevapcici I've ever eaten.

Saracen
02-06-2004, 07:46 AM
I was born on the South Side & grew up there for 18 years. I've been in Dallas now for 16 years. I get back up there to see family every few months.

WGN & MLB.tv are the only way to watch games. I think you guys in town have it much tougher needing to deal with the Cubs bias every day.

dougs78
02-06-2004, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by billyo
This is the first time I've posted on WSI though I have been reading the board since it began. I'm from Australia (a country town called Lismore in New South Wales about an hour from Australia's Gold Coast) and I've been a White Sox fan since 1966. Not sure why I picked the Sox to follow and I've often kicked myself for the decision since. I'm too old and stubborn to change now and will always live in hope for that WS appearance.

I've had some wonderful memories surrounding the Sox however. In 97, just before the infamy of the White Flag trade, I was touring the States as the GM of the Australian Olympic Baseball team. As we passed through Chicago, our manager, an ex-Chicagoan named Mike Young, who managed and coached in the Cleveland and Toronto organisations, arranged for me to throw out the first pitch at a Sox-Yankees game. It was a fantastic night. I met Harold Baines and Frank and the only thing that spoiled the wholw thing was Tino Martinez blast to right field off Wilson Alvarez that proved the winning hit. Anyway, I figure Im the furthest away Sox fan and probably, according to my baseball frieds, one of the most delusional!! Cheers to all and keep flying the flag!

Bill O'Sullivan

Hey Bill, great first post! That is an interesting story. You should post more often.

SoxFanSince67
02-06-2004, 08:29 AM
Catch every Sox game on WGN and attend the Sox - Ranger games.

dividedsk717
02-06-2004, 08:30 AM
I'm a Sox fan from the south side of Indianapolis. I think there are 3 of us here, and the rest are Cubs fans. We get WGN games on occasion, and I'm thinking about getting the MLB package on Direct TV so I can watch more than just Cubs games.

For what it's worth, Indianapolis news media followed the Cubs in the playoffs like the Cubs play in Indy. They even sent reporters to Atlanta and Miami for newscasts. It's not a good situation!

I don't get to the Cell much, but plan on having my bachelor party there on July 24.

Bryan :gulp:

michned
02-06-2004, 08:38 AM
When I moved away 18 years ago I knew following the Sox was the biggest thing I'd miss. But we out-of-towners are incredibly lucky nowadays with all of the different ways available to follow our team.

And when the Sox moved to Tucson, talk about a gift for me!

By the way, if you're out-of-town MLB.tv is highly recommended. I bought the monthly package for something like $14.95 per month, but be careful, they will continue to bill you in the offseason unless you cancel (they say this is fair because you have access to the season archive).

Ed

SoxRulecubsdrool
02-06-2004, 08:54 AM
And here I was complaining about living in McHenry and having trouble getting to games. Opps! :o:

Frater Perdurabo
02-06-2004, 09:15 AM
I'm in Texas. I get my Sox news fix from WSI. I follow Sox games when I can from my computer, logged into WSI game chats.

idseer
02-06-2004, 09:26 AM
i'm starting to feel downright close after reading some of these posts.
i left the chicago area in 1969 and finally settled in central pennsylvania, about 580 miles from the ballpark. i practically never get to see the sox play tho i keep telling myself i'm going to drop down to baltimore to see them some year.
i was born into sox fandom and cannot imagine why some of you deliberately chose to become fans! ... poor suckers. :smile:

24thStFan
02-06-2004, 09:51 AM
Good thread...it's nice to hear from Sox fans from all over the world. I live in Tallahassee, FL, but grew up on the southside not far from the ballpark.

As a kid, one of my earliest memories is going to twi-night doubleheaders with my dad. He passed away last year, but thinking about our times together at Comiskey always brings a smile to my face. When I was a teenager, I went to lots of games with my buddies. We took the Western Ave. bus to 35th St., and transferred to get to the park. These good times were always the highlight of my summer.

I now try to get back to Chicago at least once every summer to catch a game or two with my family. I married a girl from the southside and we are raising two young Sox fans. We watch all the games on WGN and I lurk on this board at least twice a day looking for any news I can get of my beloved Sox.

This is great site. Keep up the good work. Go Sox!

Palehose13
02-06-2004, 10:10 AM
This is a great thread. I remember scrub trolls on the mlb board saying that they have "fans" all over the world and we don't. I think this proves that they are wrong. We have FANS all over the world, they have followers. :D:

Baby Fisk
02-06-2004, 10:11 AM
Toronto, Canada (it's that big patch of land above the USA on your maps). :D:

As a kid, I just decided to be a Sox fan for no good reason. Kids don't fuss over logic. I may have been dazzled by the kaleidoscopic uniform changes! This was in the early 80s, at the time when the Jays were new to the majors and everyone here was cooing over them. I'm not good with being told whom to root for. A decade ago, my parents wouldn't spring for WGN, so I'd listen to Hawk & Wimpy with the channel scrambled!

Whenever the good guys show up at Skydome, I'm there cheering them on. Until I found WSI, it's been a pretty lonely existence cheering for a team in another COUNTRY. Now I've found you folks and it's been great to agonize together with all of you!

StepsInSC
02-06-2004, 10:22 AM
They used to show a lot more Sox games on WGN down here in South Carolina, but stopped a couple years ago. Seems like I only get 20 a year now.

Became a fan in '90 when Thomas came up, had followed him and his roommate Bo Jackson while they were at Auburn. Next thing I know (before its too late to change) I'm following the Sox and they're the only team I love.

TDog
02-06-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by lowesox
...And I think fans who live in Chicago have it way worse because you have to deal with the whole cubbie inferiority BS.

In Alaska, without television, in a neighborhood where the most prominent feature is a glacier, I still have to deal with Cubbie crap.

Irishsoxfan
02-06-2004, 11:23 AM
cubbie crap is a world wide phenomenon. I try and stamp it out at every opportunity but they're too dumb to listen!

TDog
02-06-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Irishsoxfan
cubbie crap is a world wide phenomenon. I try and stamp it out at every opportunity but they're too dumb to listen!

However, I was very happy when I visited a sporting goods store in Dublin in 2002 to see they didn't sell any Cubs hats. The store (I don't remember the name, but there was an elephant on the bag I took away with my purchase) had a section of a wall devoted to American baseball hats. All were Yankees caps except for a lone Sox cap. But I wouldn't be surprised if they were selling Cubbie hats these days.

longshot7
02-06-2004, 11:33 AM
Hollywood representin'. WGN & DirecTV are a godsend - except that I miss Rooney & Farmer - I moved out west five years ago for grad school and it looks like I'm staying. The occasional Sox road game is great, I'd have to add - saw em in LA & Anaheim last year - now if I could just get up to the Bay Area...

Irishsoxfan
02-06-2004, 11:39 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TDog
[B]However, I was very happy when I visited a sporting goods store in Dublin in 2002 to see they didn't sell any Cubs hats

I agree, there is actually more sox caps on sale in Dublin than any other mlb team except the yankees. Frankly this is because it is black and looks good. The cubbie crap (everyone wanting to see them in the WS) is confined to most of those that actually play baseball in ireland. My team , the black sox, wears white sox gear. The shop sounds like Elverys at the bottom of grafton street.

fuzzy_patters
02-06-2004, 11:53 AM
I originally grew up in NW Indiana, but now I live in the Indy area. I considered getting a sattelite dish with FSN Chicago, but it turns out this is the Reds market, so the Sox would be blacked out. I'm trying to convince my wife that we should spring for DirecTV with Season Ticket. Wish me luck.

TDog
02-06-2004, 12:18 PM
... The shop sounds like Elverys at the bottom of grafton street.

Indeed it was. An odd shop, I thought. It sold baseball gloves and baseball bats and cricket bats and Irish hurleys, but I couldn't find any balls.

kbriley
02-06-2004, 12:19 PM
I just moved to Seattle and am looking forward to seeing the SOX in their only visit this summer. I was bummed they are only coming once though. I lived in Denver last year when the SOX played the NL West in interleague play. Unfortunately, they didn't play the Rockies so I didn't get to see them.

I also spent many years in Japan and got to see the SOX lose to Toronto in the playoffs of 93 (?) surrounded by a bunch of Canadians. In 2000 I was in Tokyo and would wake up at 5am to watch the SOX lose to Seattle. This time my wife (who is a Mariners fan) was there to "console" me.

Other than that it is WGN or Farmio and Rooney over the internet. At least my son's first game was at the Cell.

voodoochile
02-06-2004, 12:22 PM
In 2.5 weeks, I will officially be an ex-Chicagoan living in North Carolina, so I too will be one of the Sox scattered minions...

RKMeibalane
02-06-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by dividedsk717
I'm a Sox fan from the south side of Indianapolis. I think there are 3 of us here, and the rest are Cubs fans. We get WGN games on occasion, and I'm thinking about getting the MLB package on Direct TV so I can watch more than just Cubs games.

For what it's worth, Indianapolis news media followed the Cubs in the playoffs like the Cubs play in Indy. They even sent reporters to Atlanta and Miami for newscasts. It's not a good situation!

I don't get to the Cell much, but plan on having my bachelor party there on July 24.

Bryan :gulp:

Actually, there are at least four of us in the Indianapolis area. I'm originally from Evansville, but I go to school at Butler.

NorthSideConvert
02-06-2004, 12:31 PM
I just gave up my full season tickets, 2.5 years after moving to New Hampshire...was in Chicago for all but 3 weekend series, it wasnt so much the cost of the tickets, but the airfare and Stadium Club bar tab that were the real killers. I'll be back though just a question of when

DC Sox Fan
02-06-2004, 12:37 PM
Got the Nation's Capitol locked down!

VC where in NC you moving? You'll have to make the drive up to Balmur when the boys come to town this year if it's not too far...

I honestly never thought there were many (if any) Sox fans around here, especially in an area with so many transplants... But I've seen quite a few of us from DC, and the 'burbs thanks to WSI.

My dad's a south-side native, my mom rooted for the Sox to spite her flubby-loving brothers, so I'm a result of baseball fan darwinism... evolution and survival of the fittest. :D:

voodoochile
02-06-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by DC Sox Fan

VC where in NC you moving? You'll have to make the drive up to Balmur when the boys come to town this year if it's not too far...

I honestly never thought there were many (if any) Sox fans around here, especially in an area with so many transplants... But I've seen quite a few of us from DC, and the 'burbs thanks to WSI.

My dad's a south-side native, my mom rooted for the Sox to spite her flubby-loving brothers, so I'm a result of baseball fan darwinism... evolution and survival of the fittest. :D:

I'll be in New Bern which is along the coast about 50 miles north of the SC border. I am hoping to get up for Baltimore, but there is a lot going on that time in NC and I don't know if I can make it this year (6 hour drive roughly - no biggie).

I'll have to figure it out after the move...

DC Sox Fan
02-06-2004, 12:42 PM
Beautiful area down there, right on the Neuse. I've spent many a summer in Minnesott Beach (north shore of the Neuse, right across from Cherry Point MCAS) and Atlantic Beach a little further south. Good minor league action down there with the Kinston K-Tribe. Too bad it's Jndjun product though :(:

voodoochile
02-06-2004, 12:43 PM
Beautiful area down there, right on the Neuse. I've spent many a summer in Minnesott Beach (north shore of the Neuse, right across from Cherry Point MCAS) and Atlantic Beach a little further south. Good minor league action down there with the Kinston K-Tribe. Too bad it's Jndjun product though :(:

Thanks for the info. What level of minor leagues is the Kinston tream? I have been looking for info on local sporting events, and this is the first I have heard.

I assume they play their Sox counterpart a few times a year. I will go down and give back some feedback on minor league prospects if that is the case.

faneidde
02-06-2004, 12:44 PM
I was born in Chicago and thankfully my parents took me to Commisky before Wrigley, and I became a Sox fan, plus I always like Hawk better than Harry. Now live in southern Indiana and am very thankful for interleague play as I live within 3 hours of both St. Loius and Cincy, go there whenever the Sox are in town for a weekend game. Now I go to Purdue and I got up for a couple Sox-Twins games last year on Monday and Tuesday as I lack the funds to attend any other day of the week.

delben91
02-06-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by StillMissOzzie

I know that delben(sp?) is currently in New Zealand, checking out the Lord of the Rings locations shots

SMO
:gulp:

Yep, I was over in the land of the Kiwis, but I returned last week. Queenstown remains the most beautiful place I've ever seen. And for billyo, I must say that Australia was amazing too, although....

Bill O'Sullivan

...I only saw one person during my 3 weeks in Adelaide, Sydney and Melbourne sporting Sox gear. Granted, with cricket and rugby and the AFL over there, I can understand the MLB not being on the radar of many sports fans over there. Are there any other masochists over there Bill rooting for our southsiders?

My dad's a south-side native, my mom rooted for the Sox to spite her flubby-loving brothers, so I'm a result of baseball fan darwinism... evolution and survival of the fittest.

And, being a DC (and now Delaware) sox fan, I'll put my own story here. Being from Maryland, I always watched the orioles on tv growing up, but never really was a fan. They were on tv, I loved baseball, so it was orioles baseball for me. Around the early 90's though, was when I first saw the Sox's new black and silver uniforms. Being still in grade school, you wore sports team's jerseys and hats because they "looked cool" and thus I wore Sox stuff all the time. After a few months, I actually started following the team, namely Big Frank, and have been an addict ever since.

hitless_wonder
02-06-2004, 01:07 PM
Been reading the boards along time, and this is my first post. I am origionally from NWI. I moved out to the Bay Area last year to attend graduate school. Its hard to keep up with the sox sometimes, especially on a graduate student budget. I usually read the boards here and soxtalk.. I read as much news as I can. Last year went to see the Sox play the A's. This year I think i am going to try and attend most of the games when they come to Oakland.

voodoochile
02-06-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by hitless_wonder
Been reading the boards along time, and this is my first post. I am origionally from NWI. I moved out to the Bay Area last year to attend graduate school. Its hard to keep up with the sox sometimes, especially on a graduate student budget. I usually read the boards here and soxtalk.. I read as much news as I can. Last year went to see the Sox play the A's. This year I think i am going to try and attend most of the games when they come to Oakland.

Welcome Aboard! :D:

ChiSox7
02-06-2004, 01:11 PM
I'm one of those guys whose from VA that Hanger mentioned. Charlottesville, VA. I haven't missed a game in forever though, whether on Directv, WGN, radio, cbssportsline, or WSI play-by-play. I'd die in the offseason if I didn't have WSI to read. I don't post much in the offseason, utnil the games start and then I'm in the chat, but I love reading, even if I think people are a little overboard at times ;)

wassagstdu
02-06-2004, 01:18 PM
I just replay the 59 season in my own mind -- and to some extent the 89 season, though I don't remember that as well.

JJAustin69
02-06-2004, 01:33 PM
I get the WGN games and the Fox Sports Southwest games when the Sox play the Rangers. Other than that, I rely on the Gamecast and the chat room here at WSI, which is an invaluable resource to us out of towners who need a real life description of what is going on during the game.

idseer
02-06-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
In 2.5 weeks, I will officially be an ex-Chicagoan living in North Carolina, so I too will be one of the Sox scattered minions...

where voodoo?
i have a daughter who lives in charlotte (tho she'll be leaving for china very soon) and a brother inlaw in raleigh.

oops! i see you already answered that. hey you ought to be able to catch a train to charlotte for a lot of aaa action!

seventytwo
02-06-2004, 02:19 PM
I was a 12-year old Red Sox fan when they screwed over my sports idol--- Carlton Earnest Fisk.

I was living in Maine at the time, so it was hard to cut ties--but it had to be done. Since then I've lived in Sacramento, Tallahassee and Omaha twice (where I reside now.) Been a White Sox fan ever since.

I follow the Sox on the MLB package on directv. I'm also pretty sure I'm the only Sox fan in Omaha, which is mostly populated by nauseating Royals bandwagoners and sCrUB fans.

ode to veeck
02-06-2004, 02:22 PM
Born milwaukee during braves pennants, moved to chicago at 6, where father and grandfather, two originals from the south east side, indoctrinated me into Soxfandom and stealing 1/2 empty beers from their friends. Earliest recollections of baseball are with the Go Go Whie Sox, when you almost had to buy Yankees tickets the year before.

Grew up in south suburbs before moving to Hyde Park for many years and then several more on North Side. Hyde Park had loads of bretheren hard nosed, hard core Sox fans & was conveniently close to Sox games, stumbling distance for those long rain delay double headers.

I freely admit actually going to loads of both Cubs and Sox games in the 70s, though I always have been primarily a Sox and American League fan. My last apartment in Chicago was in the last non-condo building on Sheffield (used to be just to the right of the Torco sign looking from home plate) where I'd sit out and watch games on the fire escape with retired members of the local street gangs that prevously ran the neighborhood before gentrification had taken over.

During this time, I spent a couple of years alternatiing back and forth to Conneticut, working a few months at a time there, where I'd attend AA Sox from Glen Falls when they were in town to play the then Bristol Red Sox. I still have a hat somewhere from the Appleton WI Foxes, the one time single A sox, and wearing it during softball leagues here on the left coast, I used to say I was a scout for future foxes ;-)

Since moving to Silicon Valley in '86, I've remained in general a Chicago sports nut, though I did participate in ticket packages for Giants, Sharks in some past years. I dunno why I'm still a Sox fan after being here for 18 years, or why I stick through the dissappointments of the Wirtz's and McCaskey's and Jr's ownerships.

Its totally amazing to me to see Chicago and particularly the media become so much of a Cubs bandwagon, when the Cubs were really the dismal 2nd class sport citizen for decades of my youth (under Wrigley Jr's dismal leadership). Its thoroughly insulting to hear the words out of the chairman's mouth (who spent his youth rooting for the Dodgers in NY!) "Chicago's always been a Cubs town!"

As far as coverage goes, the cable here in Mt View happened to be one of the few that carried WGN for many years, but more recently DirectTV and even mlb.com have made the all games available to the extent I feel like making the investment for a "product that is not built yet". Each year, I make it to some of the Sox games here, and usually one or two back in Chicago when my wife & I (also from Chicago) are visiting family.

The hardest part about being a long distance Sox fan is that its still the most severe form of penance known to man, even from two timezones away.

ode to veeck
02-06-2004, 02:28 PM
Hitless_wonder, Welcome to WSI!!

Maybe we'll see you at one of the Sox games at the oakland collesium ...

SoxEd
02-06-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by npdempse

Did they come to love the Sox while living in Chicago, or was it a long thought out choice among all MLB teams?

I had a friend in high school, in upstate NY, who thought it was awesome that I was moving to Chicago because he had become a Sox fan through his idolization of HURT--do the out of town fans come to it through such attachments?

Nifty dynamic.

I got into Baseball last summer, originally because I was curious about the game's similarities to and differences from Cricket, and got hooked watching the two games a week we get on Channel 5 here (Sun and Wed nights).

The network obviously choose which game they're going to broadcast, so following the Sox is hard, esp as it tends to be East Coast games to fit the UK scheduling slot (even they start around 1 am BST!).
I understand that each MLB team will be shown live at least twice per season, but it obviously means that we see mostly Yankees, BoSox, Phillies or Braves games. :(:

I tend to 'watch' the Sox games on Gameday, and this board.

How did I come to support the Pale Hose?

A weird story: I went to University in Birmingham, England's second city, located in the English Midlands.
Birmingham has two soccer teams, Aston Villa FC and Birmingham City FC.
When I was at Uni, Birmingham were very much the 'minority' team in the city, being in the First Divison (the one just below the Premiership), whilst Villa were in the Premiership, and having supposedly got really rough blue-collar fans.
Villa drew big crowds, got loads of press coverage, and had a rich owner. Despite this they never spent enough money on players to challenge for the title, or various Cup competitions here.
Like most Brits, I tend to root for the underdog, so, for my sins, I ended up supporting Birmingham City, who never win anything (To give you an idea of how good Birmingham City are, and their prospects of winning any silverware, I think a Sox WS title is likely to happen before a BCFC FA Cup or Premiership title).
At least they finally got promoted to the Premiership prior to last season, and finished above Villa, beating them 3 - 0 at our stadium, and 2- 0 at theirs (hurrah!).

So, when I was deciding which MLB team to support, I looked at large cities in the middle of the USA, and Chicago seemed to be the obvious choice for me.

Why? Because, looking at the two teams in Chicago, I found out that neither had won the big one for donkeys' years, and that one team was really famous, got loads of press, and seemed to make pots of money for its owners, who never made the effort to win, while the other one was deemed to be a 'minority' team with unattractive blue-collar fans.

So I joined the scattered ranks of White Sox fans in the UK.

Baseball's still very much a minority interest here though, and the only teams most of my friends have even heard of are the Yanks and the Cubs, which is bloody annoying, but how can you compete with the marketing machines of those two?

The only caps available in Stafford (my home town) now are variations on the NYY theme.
I did once see a guy in a Sox jersey here, and asked him how long he'd folllowed them, only to find out that he knew nothing about the game, let alone the team, he'd just seen some rapper wearing one and so ordered it over the 'net.

If I get down to London I'd probably be able to find some memorabilia though - anyone know any stores in London that stock MLB licensed products?
[Man, asking guys on the other side of the Atlantic for shopping tips in my own capital city really doesn't seem right...]

Fraternal greetings, one and all!
Ed.

maurice
02-06-2004, 03:24 PM
We need to set up a Sox fan foreign exchange program. I volunteer to swap with Ed. He'll have no problem finding Sox mechandise in Bridgeport.

:)

soxfan26
02-06-2004, 03:42 PM
I spent some years in the Army, so I have rooted for the Sox on 3 continents and in several countries over the years, never could find anyone to chear with me, seems like I was always surrounded by Detroit, Cleveland, and Atlanta fans.

Now living up in Virginia I catch the Sox on WGN, and MLB.com. Of course I always make the journey to Camden for the Sox v. O's

It's great to hear that Sox fans are far and wide!

kbriley
02-06-2004, 04:14 PM
When I lived in Fukuoka, Japan I had two friends from Chicago and both were SOX fans who hated the Cubs. What are the odds?

Realist
02-06-2004, 04:43 PM
I vote this "Greatest Thread Ever". I can't wait to hear the next story. :)

DC Sox Fan
02-06-2004, 04:44 PM
VC, here's a little info about the tribe and the Carolina League. You should be able to catch some Warthog games to catch up on the Sox prospects as well..

K-Tribe (http://www.carolinaleague.com/teams/indians.htm)

I love carolina league ball. Especially when the Cannons (DC area) were a Sox team.

voodoochile
02-06-2004, 04:56 PM
VC, here's a little info about the tribe and the Carolina League. You should be able to catch some Warthog games to catch up on the Sox prospects as well..

K-Tribe (http://www.carolinaleague.com/teams/indians.htm)

I love carolina league ball. Especially when the Cannons (DC area) were a Sox team.

AWESOME! Thanks much. That is just great. I have bookmarked the Kinston team website. The actually open the season 3 straight against the Warthogs, but unfortunately it is the weekend of my Mom's 70th b-day party and the whole family will be in. I will have to wait for the next time they come through - which now that I look at the schedule is over Memorial Day weekend and MY birthday. How appropriate - White Sox baseball on my birthday. I might even keep score. :D:

TheRockinMT
02-06-2004, 05:48 PM
I have been a Sox fan since I was in little league baseball back in 1959. The first baseball glove I ever had was a Nelie Fox model. I served some time down in the old Panama Canal Zone and there was even a fellow named Leo who owned a bar in Colon, Panama, that was a Sox fan. I used to take baseball with him while enjoying a cool one. If the Armed Forces Radio had a Sox game on you knew Leo had in on too.

As a kid growing up you could get Sox baseball over the radio (WMAQ) at night. I would sit out in the car and listen to the baseball game on the car radio. The NBC Saturday Game of the Week was sometimes a Sox game too. Especially in 1967 during the Great Pennant Race. I saw the Sox a lot that year. Nw I get WGN and ESPN.

24thStFan
02-06-2004, 07:22 PM
I hope JR and KW read these posts. Maybe they'll finally "get it" and understand why Sox fans deserve a winner--NOW!

surfdudes
02-06-2004, 08:22 PM
San Diego checking in..........
Born and raised the burbs, My Grandfather showed my brother and I how to take the CNW to downtown, then grab the El to Comiskey........... I was 10. He also showed us how to hate the Yankees.......
I tried in 1989 to form some sort of alliegance to the Padres, but it wasn't happening. Try as I might, I just could never get excited about anything the Padres did. I buy the MLB package every year and catch as many games as I can, and we go to Anaheim for all three games when the ChiSox are on their West Coast Trip.
There are always about 500 - 1000 of us at Edison field for those games, and usually the 500- 1000 West Coast Sox fans are louder than the 40,000 Angels Fans.

By the way, my wife and I own a home in Tijuana, Mexico, and because of what E. loaiza did last year and because he's from Tijuana, everybody down there is wearing Sox gear. Crazy!!!!

SoxRulecubsdrool
02-06-2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Realist

I drink to that! :gulp:
Earlier I posted that I won't complain that McHenry Illinois is too far away. Remember, usually once a year, there is that game that isn't picked up at all by any of the local channels. No WGN, no FOX, no CLTV, no FOX plus? Well, next time I won't throw a fit about that either. It seems these long distance fans certainly have more problem picking up a game than us locals.

This is fun. Just like the classic thread when the cubs blew it.

A. Cavatica
02-06-2004, 08:35 PM
I followed the '77 Sox from Kenya, where I lived at the time. Heard them play once in a while, over Armed Forces Radio from Germany (!), but due to the time difference it was only day games. I can infer more about a game from a line score than anyone...

And I followed the '83 Sox from Yugoslavia. I was back in the States in time for the playoffs, mercifully.

Maximo
02-06-2004, 08:51 PM
Hanger:

This is a great post!!!

I'm sure this will change the perception that 66.667% of the members have about you.

Seriously........great post!!!!

minastirith67
02-06-2004, 09:16 PM
Living in Ireland and never been to Chicago but chose to be a Sox fan - who knows why but maybe it's the identification with the 'blue collar' status sox fans have.
Recently a company called NASN have set up shop here televising all major american sports, some live which is great. We also use a swiss company who sell licensed videos of games and you get to choose which games you want. And of course internet radio when you just have to listen to a sox game live.

Do you support any football clubs in the UK? I originally started off liking Manchester United and lately I've been rooting for Wolves. I really hope they'll survive the Premiership.

SoxEd....Birmingham, eh? I really dislike Aston Villa FC...such a boring style of football they play. Birmingham City are much more interesting than the Villains, who seemed to have "mastered" longball. However Villa are not near as bad as Liverpool, who with their legions of overseas fans still manage to suck on a regular basis.

Realist
02-06-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
I followed the '77 Sox from Kenya, where I lived at the time. Heard them play once in a while, over Armed Forces Radio from Germany (!), but due to the time difference it was only day games. I can infer more about a game from a line score than anyone...

And I followed the '83 Sox from Yugoslavia. I was back in the States in time for the playoffs, mercifully.

Wow... two references to the former Yugoslavia on this thread. If I wasn't on the wagon and giving my poor battle ravaged liver a break from my recent Carribean cruise, I'd do a shot of 29 year old homemade slivovitz from Serbia that I've got hidden in my cabinet.

Tragg
02-06-2004, 11:02 PM
And Louisiana

Been here for 46 years after spending 1 week in U of Chi hospital and 5 months in an apartment on the south side.

delben91
02-06-2004, 11:37 PM

Definitely. Way to go Hangar, all us long distance fans thank you for the chance to tell our stories.

GO SOX!!

chisoxflafan
02-07-2004, 01:50 AM
Fort Myers, Florida checking in. Born and raised in Kokomo, IN . Loving the Sox for 40 years and sticking with them. I do believe it is an obsession or a sickness that once you start you cannot stop.

GO SOX

Nick@Nite
02-07-2004, 02:13 AM
Are you Bosnian or are you an American that's working there? I was in Sarajevo once in 1988 - best cevapcici I've ever eaten.

I'm an American working here. I'll be back in Missouri some time next month. Btw, I had some cevapcici last week after consuming a whole lot of lasko pivo's... it was great. :smile:

When I'm overseas, the Sox usually kick ass (sort of). Back in 93, I was trying to follow the action during the stretch drive and playoffs from Saudi Arabia. I was in Fairbanks Alaska in 94. The 2000 season had me in Korea. The exception was the 2001/02 season's when I was on the island of Terceira, in the middle of the Atlantic ocean... but hey, that's when I found WSI, so it wasn't a total loss!

If I'm state side (like in 1995-99 & 2003), the Sox normally play like crap.

All the traveling and living overseas has been a blast. But I'm looking forward to the day when I'm settled down to a very stationary existence. I'm envious of the Chicagoans. If I lived any where in Illinois, I'd be a season ticket hold for sure... tailgating or checking out the action at the Sox bars, checking out SoxFest... oh well, maybe someday.

pudge
02-07-2004, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
A decade ago, my parents wouldn't spring for WGN, so I'd listen to Hawk & Wimpy with the channel scrambled!

That friggin rules!

South Sider
02-07-2004, 03:31 AM
ACHTUNG! GUTEN TAG :-)

Greetings to all Sox-Fans from "old" Europe (Rumsfeld).....that is Berlin in Germany !!!!

I'm a big Sox-Fan since 1984.......that was the year I realized that I was getting AFN on my TV. In the beginning I saw all the games in B&W and with no sound cause at this times TVs were not able to decrypt the NTSC-Norm.

Then I bought a decoder to see AFN in color and with sound.

Since 1998 I follow the games through the Internet (ESPN Radio 1000 and Gameday)

Our cable provider just shows 2 MLB games a week (ESPN Su&We and sometimes FOX on Sa)

So I am really happy about MLB.TV. Last season I watched around 120 Sox games.......even when they start on 2 a.m. local time (typical night game)

1999 was the last time I visited Chicago and went to Comiskey (new) to see my Sox in person !

I also collect Sox-Games on tape/DVD

My collection is like 250 games since 1999

I only post on this board in the regular season, 'cause it is really hard to follow the Sox in the offseason.

I think the Sox had such a lousy offseason (no good aquisitions were made........oh yea URIBE was really a B I G D E A L :-)

But still I will follow them this season.......cause I will alwayas be
a South Sider

BTW.....I play 2nd Baseball for the Berlin White Sox too

If you give me a contract I would come to the South Side and play for you guys.....lol....instead of Harris

Just inform KW and I will take the next plane to Chitown

But I believe my salary of about $ 5000 USD a month would be to high for JR & KW. They rather would give that money to the baddest Sox Player of all-time.....that is of course Rick "The sure looser" White

ode to veeck
02-07-2004, 07:17 AM
When I lived in Fukuoka, Japan I had two friends from Chicago and both were SOX fans who hated the Cubs. What are the odds?

Wow, not too many Gaijin in Fukuoka. I barely saw another round eyed soul on a few trips to Kokura. Amazing that all 3 were Sox fans ...

Realist
02-07-2004, 07:49 AM
I'm an American working here. I'll be back in Missouri some time next month. Btw, I had some cevapcici last week after consuming a whole lot of lasko pivo's... it was great. :smile:

When I'm overseas, the Sox usually kick ass (sort of). Back in 93, I was trying to follow the action during the stretch drive and playoffs from Saudi Arabia. I was in Fairbanks Alaska in 94. The 2000 season had me in Korea. The exception was the 2001/02 season's when I was on the island of Terceira, in the middle of the Atlantic ocean... but hey, that's when I found WSI, so it wasn't a total loss!

If I'm state side (like in 1995-99 & 2003), the Sox normally play like crap.

All the traveling and living overseas has been a blast. But I'm looking forward to the day when I'm settled down to a very stationary existence. I'm envious of the Chicagoans. If I lived any where in Illinois, I'd be a season ticket hold for sure... tailgating or checking out the action at the Sox bars, checking out SoxFest... oh well, maybe someday.

Careful with those lasko pivos. I had about 12 of 'em at a bar in Belgrade in '95 with a couple of Yugoslav soldiers (one Serb and one Albanian) and I ended up stumbling down cobblestone streets arm in arm with them singing at the top of our lungs.

I was supposed to go to Grbavica and Pale (to meet with Radovan Karadzic) but we missed our flight in Paris and we were set back one day. I ended up in Vukovar instead (big yikes... whooo boy whatamess). We were working on a documentary about the wars.

http://www.avoidablewar.com/index2.html

I'd be very interested in hearing about you experiences there. Maybe some day over a few pivos at a Sox game. :D:

billnahorodny
02-07-2004, 11:33 AM
Perhaps a Sox forum is not the place to discuss meetings with war criminals and revisionist history.

BTW...Lasko is Slovenian

Daver
02-07-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by billnahorodny
Perhaps a Sox forum is not the place to discuss meetings with war criminals and revisionist history.

BTW...Lasko is Slovenian

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

Nick@Nite
02-07-2004, 11:57 AM
I was supposed to go to Grbavica and Pale (to meet with Radovan Karadzic) but we missed our flight in Paris and we were set back one day. I ended up in Vukovar instead (big yikes... whooo boy whatamess). We were working on a documentary about the wars.

I'll split the $5 million reward with you if you tell me where helmet hair is. :smile:

Irishsoxfan
02-07-2004, 01:00 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by minastirith67
[B]Do you support any football clubs in the UK? I originally started off liking Manchester United and lately I've been rooting for Wolves. I really hope they'll survive the Premiership.

I support Arsenal, have done since 1972 when my brother told me to! Obviously cannot stand man utd (the british yankees IMO) but have a little fondness for wolves. we may not see them in the premiership next year and Arsenal didn't help their cause, beating the 3-1 today. Coincidently i believe this site was started after it's originators seen an arsenal fan site, correct me if i'm wrong.

Chisoxfn
02-07-2004, 01:14 PM

Nifty dynamic.

Out in Cali, I picked up the Xtra innings and try to catch all the games. Usually I get home from work, turn the game on, and do my homework while I watch it.

And when they play in Anaheim (or in last years case LA and it was great meeting all the other Sox fans then) then I'll make the drive :D: .

I also make the 5 hour drive to Arizona every year and catch a few games.

Chisoxfn
02-07-2004, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the info. What level of minor leagues is the Kinston tream? I have been looking for info on local sporting events, and this is the first I have heard.

I assume they play their Sox counterpart a few times a year. I will go down and give back some feedback on minor league prospects if that is the case.
Voodoo, you should be pretty close (Depending on Where in Carolina you are) to quite a few of the Sox affiliates. Winston Salem, Charlotte, and Kanny are all very close to each other and then you have Bristol (a little more of a drive) on the border of I think Virginia and North Carolina.

minastirith67
02-07-2004, 02:09 PM
I support Arsenal, have done since 1972 when my brother told me to! Obviously cannot stand man utd (the british yankees IMO) but have a little fondness for wolves. we may not see them in the premiership next year and Arsenal didn't help their cause, beating the 3-1 today. Coincidently i believe this site was started after it's originators seen an arsenal fan site, correct me if i'm wrong. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was hoping Wolves could beat Arsenal like they did United a few weeks ago, but it obviously didn't happen. United had quite a scare today as well, baring beating off Everton right at the end.

voodoochile
02-07-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
Voodoo, you should be pretty close (Depending on Where in Carolina you are) to quite a few of the Sox affiliates. Winston Salem, Charlotte, and Kanny are all very close to each other and then you have Bristol (a little more of a drive) on the border of I think Virginia and North Carolina.

No, I am in the SE corner. I think the closest is Charlotte and it is 4-5 hours away.

Realist
02-07-2004, 03:50 PM

BTW...Lasko is Slovenian

You think that may be why I said we could talk about it over some beer at a ballgame?

Nice revisionist post. :D:

Realist
02-07-2004, 03:58 PM
I'll split the $5 million reward with you if you tell me where helmet hair is. :smile:

Aw hell. We all know where he's at but if we go get him, we're likely to start another war in Cuckooslavia. :smile:

Chisoxfn
02-07-2004, 04:51 PM
No, I am in the SE corner. I think the closest is Charlotte and it is 4-5 hours away.

Well, I'm sure there are a few affiliates near ya then, and you can catch the Sox affiliates when they travel in :smile:

NC_sox_fan
02-07-2004, 05:24 PM
I am half-way between Winston-Salem and Kannapolis and one hour from Charlotte. I've been a Sox fan since they invaded NC in the mid-90s. Lots of the guys who've played here have been promoted to the majors so it's fun to support them there after supporting them down here.

We see the Sox on WGN and on MLB Extra Innings....not that I'm home much to see them! During the season, I live at minor league parks, but come September I'm home and watching the Sox.

I also enjoy seeing the Sox on the East Coast and have to give Fenway my "thumbs up" for the best place to see the Sox away from Chicago. The access to the players is also good at Fenway.

Voodoo, you'll love Kinston. It's one of the nicest older parks I've been to. There are GREAT fans down there. You might also want to drive over to Zebulon to see the Barons when they play the Mudcats. Also, you could make the trip to Durham when Charlotte plays the Bulls. Durham is -- without a doubt -- the premier minor league park in NC. (Only problem is, you have to park on the street.)

Since the Warthogs open their season in Kinston, I might drive down for the game (3 1/2 hours from here). In fact, several of us have talked about making the trip. It all depends on the weather which can be cold and/or rainy in early April.

If you need any advice or directions, etc. just email me. I'd be glad to be of assistance. NC is a pretty laid back place and New Bern is in a great area. Great beaches! Oh my email is:
jw62002@yahoo.com.

voodoochile
02-07-2004, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by NC_sox_fan
I am half-way between Winston-Salem and Kannapolis and one hour from Charlotte. I've been a Sox fan since they invaded NC in the mid-90s. Lots of the guys who've played here have been promoted to the majors so it's fun to support them there after supporting them down here.

We see the Sox on WGN and on MLB Extra Innings....not that I'm home much to see them! During the season, I live at minor league parks, but come September I'm home and watching the Sox.

I also enjoy seeing the Sox on the East Coast and have to give Fenway my "thumbs up" for the best place to see the Sox away from Chicago. The access to the players is also good at Fenway.

Voodoo, you'll love Kinston. It's one of the nicest older parks I've been to. There are GREAT fans down there. You might also want to drive over to Zebulon to see the Barons when they play the Mudcats. Also, you could make the trip to Durham when Charlotte plays the Bulls. Durham is -- without a doubt -- the premier minor league park in NC. (Only problem is, you have to park on the street.)

Since the Warthogs open their season in Kinston, I might drive down for the game (3 1/2 hours from here). In fact, several of us have talked about making the trip. It all depends on the weather which can be cold and/or rainy in early April.

If you need any advice or directions, etc. just email me. I'd be glad to be of assistance. NC is a pretty laid back place and New Bern is in a great area. Great beaches! Oh my email is:
jw62002@yahoo.com.

I really appreciate all the NC advice I have received. You all are turning out to be a fantastic resource for me as I look for ways to staisfy my live sporting event jones after the move. I am indeed about 30 minutes from Kinston but unfortunately the openind day weekend there is a big family shindig (Mom turns 70) so I won't be at any of the games that weekend, but I definitely will be going over Memorial day weekend.

Raleigh Durham is about 2.5 hours away, I think, I would make that drive in a heartbeat for an occasional game. When you say street parking, do you mean like the flubbies where the lots are super expensive and spots are rare or literally, only street parking. Just to prove I'm a Sox fan, I won't ask if the neighborhood is safe to park your car on the street :D: I assume you have to walk a ways to get to the ballpark on occasion.

Don't the Sox normally play the Charlotte squad once a year in an exhibition game, or is that practice dead?

I have bookmarked the Kinston home page, so I should be just fine finding it and getting tickets. They seem to play the Warhogs a lot on big days (opening day, mem day, July 4th) are they each other's major rivals?

I have been to a couple of minor league games in Dayton to watch the Dragons who are Cinci's A-ball affiliate. I really like the feel and the prices are just ridiculous. Box seats are sold only in groups of 6 for Kinston and that is $1800 for all 6 seats for all of the games :o:

Individual games top out at $6 a seat. I think I am going to have a fine time after paying JR's prices all these years. I am looking forward to going and will probably check out a couple of Kinston games before I see the Warthogs.

SoxEd
02-07-2004, 05:49 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by minastirith67
[B]Do you support any football clubs in the UK? I originally started off liking Manchester United and lately I've been rooting for Wolves. I really hope they'll survive the Premiership.

I support Arsenal, have done since 1972 when my brother told me to! Obviously cannot stand man utd (the british yankees IMO) but have a little fondness for wolves. we may not see them in the premiership next year and Arsenal didn't help their cause, beating the 3-1 today. Coincidently i believe this site was started after it's originators seen an arsenal fan site, correct me if i'm wrong.

Irishsoxfan - you're so right about Man U (don't they even have some kind of promotional tie-in with the Yanks?), but I also have an irrational hatred of Arsenal - the whole never-having-been-promoted thing really sticks in my craw (among many other things).

I used to hate their style of play too, especially in the Graham years, but lately have been forced to admit that they're not only a good side, but play good football too - which really isn't fair!

It's been really bad for me in the last few years, having to root for Man U as they've been the only English side who are capable of winning the title other than the Gunners. Obviously that's changed with Abramovich's purchase of Chelsea, but they won't win it this year IMO.

I can't see anyone beating the Highbury side to the League title this year - no-one else still has a zero in the losses column, and the other two contenders both have a four there already. Then again, look how they threw it away last year - but surely that can't happen two years in a row, can it?

Regardless of my hatred of them, I think they're the best team in England, and have been for some years now, but I just don't understand their hitherto lacklustre results in Europe.

I was so going to put a bet on Arsenal to win the Premiership at the start of the season, but I forgot (D'Oh!) and probably wouldn't get worthwhile odds now.

As someone who lives near Wolverhampton but supports BCFC, I cannot support Wolves, especially as my dad is from West Bromwich!

Minastirith - Wolves are probably going to only just fail to stay in, like Albion last year, but then bounce back up for the 2005-6 season. Bolton yo-yo'd like this two or three times before managing to settle in the top flight.

Glad to find you don't like Villa, but I fear that their acquisition of Solano from Newcastle makes them a much stronger (and more entertaining) side.
I'm just surprised it's taken O'Leary this long to improve the side. But then again, persuading Ellis to part with any cash has to about as easy as getting JR to up payroll on the Sox.

I'm off now to watch the Premiership highlights :smile:

NC_sox_fan
02-07-2004, 07:24 PM
Voodoo -- to answer your questions about Durham. There are only a few parking lots and those fill up really fast (plus the ones I've seen aren't very big). The Bulls have a neat trolley that picks up fans from their cars and delivers them to the park, then does the reverse after the games end. I think the neighborhood is relatively safe. Mostly, you're walking with crowds anyway.

As for the Sox playing exhibition games in Charlotte -- that's a sore spot with those of us in NC. They've played once or twice in Charlotte but mostly, they play the Barons. The Sox are VERY attentive to Birmingham and don't want to lose them as an affiliate. Therefore, even though they have three teams in NC, we're generally put on the back burner. I could go on and on about this situation! :o:

If you decide to make a weekend of it and come to Winston-Salem, I can promise you this: you'll enjoy our park, our Chicago hot dogs, and find that the team and the fans are some of the friendliest around. Even though we aren't expecting another championship team, we always get some of the Sox prospects here and are treated to great pitching (at least for the first half of the season!).

You're moving down here at the right time -- less than two months until baseball starts!

billnahorodny
02-07-2004, 08:28 PM
For the English football fans...come on guys! I can't believe I hear Sox fans talking about supporting Arsenal, Man United or Chelsea The team in the premiership...er first division that most closely resembles the Sox has to be West Ham...East London...South Side of Chicago. Good thing there's no relegation in MLB :smile:

hitless_wonder
02-07-2004, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
Hitless_wonder, Welcome to WSI!!

Maybe we'll see you at one of the Sox games at the oakland collesium ...

I'm always willing to hang out with some fellow sox fans at a game.

MiamiSpartan
02-07-2004, 10:33 PM
Miami...I don't get WGN! :(: :whiner:

chitown sox
02-08-2004, 12:13 AM
Salt Lake City, and that MLB.TV webstream thing is really useful.

FarWestChicago
02-08-2004, 12:47 AM
I grew up in an unincorporated area just south of Park Forest, IL. Went to NU. Moved back to Park Forest when I graduated. Moved to Silicon Valley in 1981. I've been here most of the time since then, with a couple years in Seattle and the Central Valley tossed in.

In the late Spring of 2000 I discovered the ESPN Troll Boards and met some of the old timers there. One night I found WSI on the Rivals network. We moved in, George didn't toss us out. Became a Troll Killer there. Rivals folded and George and I decided to go independent. I taught myself how to code and became the site geek.

WSI started growing fast and we needed new hosting. I found this place. I ended up doing tech support for the company and got us a dedicated server. In the end, I bought the hosting company. So now I have two jobs, no time and thank god for all the guys who carry the load working on this site. :smile:

I get WGN and usually get to a couple Sox-A's games a year with ode to veeck, which isn't necessarily a good thing (how many times have we seen the Sox get blown out? :o: ). I pay for the Sox on internet radio every year. I love what the internet has done for those of us who aren't at home anymore. :D:

ode to veeck
02-08-2004, 11:23 AM
FarWestChicago wrote: I get WGN and usually get to a couple Sox-A's games a year with ode to veeck, which isn't necessarily a good thing (how many times have we seen the Sox get blown out? ).

Like the day they brought Butter in to pitch BP in a tight game? Sox fans were the sacrificial lambs that day ...

Last time we saw a win together was Sept '00 when White Sock was shouting down all the local fans around us as Fouke was thowing the heat to close it out. Post traumatic stress has blocked all memories of the rest ...

Unfortunately, I just bought tix to all six Sox games in Oakland last night after single games went on sale. Worst seats are about R19 @ 1st Base. I tried a couple pairs this year from the plaza club section 214 as well. :redneck

Speaking of the long distance thing, even though I've been doing the DirectTV thing in the living room, I found last year I preferred running MLB.tv on the 23" LCD on my photo workstation in my home office as I could run WSI game chat or official game threads in the other windows while watching the Sox choke on the Twinks.

Daver
02-08-2004, 11:56 AM

Unfortunately, I just bought tix to all six Sox games in Oakland last night after single games went on sale. Worst seats are about R19 @ 1st Base. I tried a couple pairs this year from the plaza club section 214 as well. :redneck

I guess we can chalk up 6 L's in Oakland then,you and West are the ultimate bad luck charm.

:)

ode to veeck
02-08-2004, 12:07 PM
I guess we can chalk up 6 L's in Oakland then,you and West are the ultimate bad luck charm.

We could have a real dilemma of decisions to make (go or dump our tix) if the Sox are in the race in June and July :?:

FarWestChicago
02-08-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Daver

:) I wish i could deny that. :(:

FarWestChicago
02-08-2004, 12:50 PM
We could have a real dilemma of decisions to make (go or dump our tix) if the Sox are in the race in June and July :?: I think it's time for some coaching cliche about just needing one win. :smile:

voodoochile
02-08-2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
I think it's time for some coaching cliche about just needing one win. :smile:

Just have Ozzie charge the mound a couple of times. Zito and Mulder would run screaming from the field...

tlebar318
02-08-2004, 01:19 PM

Nifty dynamic.

I was born in Bridgeport in 1965 in the shadow of the old Comiskey and have been a die-hard sox fan ever since through good and bad times--I went to school at 35th and Wallace in the early 70's. Live in Chicago and the Burbs until about 10 years ago--my allegiance to the Sox has never wavered no matter what. My biggest curse is being a fan of both of JR's teams. Although that did work out quite well on the basketball side when MJ was here. Anyhow, I live in Orlando now and venture over to Tampa every year when the Sox come to town or I try to catch them on WGN throughout the year...It is great to know there are Sox fans all over--I am glad I finally found this web site as well--it is awesome! Beer me! :gulp:

ode to veeck
02-08-2004, 01:25 PM
Just have Ozzie charge the mound a couple of times. Zito and Mulder would run screaming from the field...

LOL!

A. Cavatica
02-08-2004, 02:33 PM
Where's the tomato?

Daver
02-08-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
Where's the tomato?

:tomatoaward

hsnterprize
02-08-2004, 02:48 PM
Here it is...

Wow...as a native Chicagoan as well as a die-hard Sox fan, I think this thread is simply awesome. It's really fun reading the stories of Sox fans from all over the world. Let me especially express some "big ups" to the current and former U.S. military personnel who follow the Sox on Armed Forces Radio and TV. I was stationed in Korea back in 1991-92, and me and a roommate listened to a Sox/Yankees game on Armed Forces Radio. The Yanks won in a close game, but this guy and I were really into the game. He was a real baseball fan even though he wore the NY of the Yanks. I'll never forget that day...I really appreciated listening to games on the radio that day.

As far as Chicago baseball team coverage is concerned, back then, most of the Chicago sports world was centered around the Bulls, so I had to stick up for them amidst tons of Bulls haters. And then for baseball, most of the games on TV were unfortunately...Cubs games. That's what many of my soldiers could relate to since they were so popular. And I confess I wasn't the battle-hardened Sox fan that I am now...I stuck pu for the Cubs only because they were from Chicago, and I was and still am a proud Chicagoan who likes to toot my horn about the Windy City to anyone who'll listen. It's just that now, I'll promote anything about this great city except that joint on Clark and Addison.

For all of you who are from across the county or across the pond, keep the support for the Sox high. I as a Chicagoan Sox fan really appreciate what you all have written, and I hope this thread continues.

MaggPipes
02-08-2004, 03:37 PM
Hey, I live in Nebraska, and am a diehard sox fan since child-hood. I became a sox fan because of an elderly gentleman at my church who used to be a minor league umpire, and is a diehard sox fan. He always brings me stuff from spring training, and he is so in with the players that his wife always makes them cakes and brownies every spring training. So that is pretty cool, and that is my story. I was also able to catch opening day in KC last year, and the last two games of the season, seeing Esteban's 21st. So there it is.......Also am looking to catch opening day this season....maybe i will see some of you there.......

minastirith67
02-08-2004, 09:07 PM
For the English football fans...come on guys! I can't believe I hear Sox fans talking about supporting Arsenal, Man United or Chelsea The team in the premiership...er first division that most closely resembles the Sox has to be West Ham...East London...South Side of Chicago. Good thing there's no relegation in MLB :smile:

I only recently got interested in football, and I also really enjoy watching the Champions League games, and since the Hammers don't really apply in that, I'd rather support a club that does participate. If I was from England, I'm sure I would support my local club but seeing as I'm from the suburbs of Chicago, the club that I became a fan of was Man United, mainly because their style of play is interesting and they aren't bastards like the Arse (remember the van Nistelrooy penalty miss and its aftermath?). United v. FC Porto should be a good game coming up, as well as United v. Man City in the FA Cup.

MisterB
02-08-2004, 09:55 PM
Oh, hell, might as well chime in. Was born at Little Company of Mary Hopsital in Evergreen Park and spent a good chunk of my youth in unincorporated Garden Homes (near 115th & Central Park Av.) and Summit. Got the Sox jones from my dad, who grew up on the south shore near Calumet harbor. A decade before I was born he was a regular 16" softball player and was an umpire for many years until he knees couldn't take it anymore. Moved out west with my mom when my parents separated in '83 (took a while before I realized why I didn't remember much of the Sox pennant drive that year...). Tried to follow the Sox with little success until I discovered the internet. Used to lurk the usenet Sox board until I found out about this place. I listen to the Sox games via MLB Gameday Audio and try to catch them at least once a season when they swing through Oakland, and whenever I visit Chicago during the season.

Hangar18
02-09-2004, 11:08 AM
Holy Smoke..........havnt checked this thread since I started it, im impressed. New Zealand? Bosnia? New Hampshire? man.....
Im glad a bunch of 1st Timers posted just now.....But Now you have to KEEP POSTING, and do me and everyone a favour (note the english spelling) PLEASE LIST in the "Location" section,
where you are. some of you dont have that in there listed.
wow, Sox Fans ARE spread about the globe arent we? My next thing will be whenever I travel to one of these faroff places, Im going to look as many of you up as possible

Hangar18
02-09-2004, 11:10 AM
Can someone bust out the "Tomato" award for this thread?

kbriley
02-09-2004, 12:11 PM
When I was in Fukuoka, Japan, I got to see the MLB allstars play in old Heiwadai stadium. I know Black Jack Mcdowel was there, but I think I also remember Steve Sax being there. I also remember the brief stint that Bobby Thigpen had with the Fukuoka Daiei Hawks. And last but not least, I remember DJ when he played for the Seibu Lions. In fact, I sent in a couple of e-mails to the WGN broadcast team about Japan. The first was when Wimpy was still there. I asked Wimpy if the "Paciorek" who had just won the batting title in Japan for the Taiyo Whales was related to Wimpy (he was his brother). Hawk and Wimpy started to read my e-mail but kept stumbling over the word "Fukuoka". They would repeat the first three letters a few times and just burst out laughing (i.e. *** a *** a ***......). Needless to say they only read about a tenth of my e-mail.

The other Email was last Summer. I asked DJ about his time in Japan and favorite places to play. He mentioned he loved Fukuoka (he had no problems pronouncing it), which made me happy.

delben91
02-09-2004, 12:45 PM
Can someone bust out the "Tomato" award for this thread?

Ask and ye shall receive...

CorkNKerrys
02-09-2004, 04:14 PM
I live in Los Angeles, and am a diehard sox fan. Moved here from Chicago. You can take the Man out of the South side, but you can't take the South side out of your liver.

We get WGN games here on Comcast cable, plus the outstanding Miller High Life commercials. But the only problem is, in all of 2003, WGN brought us maybe 30 games. (This is on the Cable feed/superstation WGN. In Chicago WGN has slightly altered programming.) Of those 30 or so games we saw in LA, I think the Sox won maybe 3 of them. Could be innacurrate, but somebody (Hawk Harrelson) should do a stats check and see the Sox record when on WGN vs. Fox or WCIU.

Because Dammit, The grass is always greener, and I'm sick of telling Californians to tune in and see why I'm so obsessed, only to see a four hit game. Guess this problem is bigger than merely WGN's broadcasting schedule, but I need to vent.

Atleast I got to see the Sox smack the Dodgers at Dodger Stadium, and with my die hard Cubsfan roommate, who incidently has the North side bed room of the apartment, while I have the South Side (and larger) one.

saltwater farmer
02-09-2004, 05:44 PM
I live in Portland, Maine and have never lived in Chicago, but visited every summer as a kid. My grandpa started taking me to Sox Park (he refused to mutter the C words: Comiskey, Cubs) in 1972, when I was five -- I've been a Sox fan ever since. Back then I lived in Denver (pre-MLB) and had to follow them via box scores in the newspaper. Nowadays I follow on the MLB Extra Innings package and was thrilled to find WSI last summer during the stretch drive. Misery loves company.

To New England White Sox fans: start planning your trip to Fenway August 13-15!

Daver
02-09-2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by saltwater farmer
I live in Portland, Maine and have never lived in Chicago, but visited every summer as a kid. My grandpa started taking me to Sox Park (he refused to mutter the C words: Comiskey, Cubs) in 1972, when I was five -- I've been a Sox fan ever since. Back then I lived in Denver (pre-MLB) and had to follow them via box scores in the newspaper. Nowadays I follow on the MLB Extra Innings package and was thrilled to find WSI last summer during the stretch drive. Misery loves company.

Hangar18
02-10-2004, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by saltwater farmer
I live in Portland, Maine and have never lived in Chicago, but visited every summer .........

You can Put it on the Boaaaaaard YES.
I will be Making this Trip FOR SURE. IM VERY EXCITED, my
first trip out East, and first time Seeing Fenway.

soxfan_9
02-10-2004, 12:56 AM
I currently live in alaska, and I only get to get down to the states no more than 2-3 times a year. I get WGN but they play so many cubs games. I mostly have to just get live update off of the sox website or mlb.com

voodoochile
02-10-2004, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by soxfan_9
I currently live in alaska, and I only get to get down to the states no more than 2-3 times a year. I get WGN but they play so many cubs games. I mostly have to just get live update off of the sox website or mlb.com

Welcome Aboard! :D:

Paulwny
02-10-2004, 02:39 PM
I'm late replying, just returned to the Buffalo area from my grand-daughters birthday party in Naperville.
I've been a sox fan since 55, thanks to Mel Allen. During his broadcast of a yank game he continually mentioned Nellie Fox and what a great player he was for his size.
My cable comp. doesn't carry WGN because this is yankmee country. I've been listening to evening sox games since 55. My wife shakes her head when she sees me turning the radio in different positions to get a clearer reception during bad weather in my area.
Over the last number of years I've tried to get to Chi. once a year to take in a few games. It's much easier now convincing my wife to take the trip since we have family in Naperville.
So, I guess I can thank Mel Allen for the curse.

uksoxfan
02-10-2004, 03:06 PM
Hey Hanger, how you keeping ?

It sure looks like the Sox family is getting larger by the day!

BTW soccer fans..........the Sox & Newcastle United are twins separated at birth.........both wear black & white & both win championships as often as Halley's comet appears...... :(:, but we love 'em all the same.

Cheers all :gulp: :gulp:

soxfan_9
02-10-2004, 08:45 PM
thank you voodoochile. It is nice to have other soxfan friends, since everyone else outside of chicago looks at you like a weirdo because your such a big white sox fan. Plus I like this site, because I am all over the county a lot and I think it would be cool to meet up with other soxfans at different soxgames. by the way is any one going to spring training on the 11th or 12th? If so let me know, we can drink some :gulp: beverages together lol

take care

ondafarm
02-10-2004, 09:25 PM

Just in case anybody knows a wit about Super-12 Rugby Union, the White Sox would be definitely the Otago Highlanders.

Storm the castle this year lads !!!!

LASOXFAN
02-11-2004, 12:25 AM

Bill O'Sullivan

Great story Bill!

LASOXFAN
02-11-2004, 12:31 AM
Any west coast sox fans heading over to spring training? I'll be there from March 11-14th, can't wait! I started jonesing for this in November...

Hangar18
02-11-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by uksoxfan
Hey Hanger, how you keeping ?

It sure looks like the Sox family is getting larger by the day!

BTW soccer fans..........the Sox & Newcastle United are twins separated at birth.........both wear black & white & both win championships as often as Halley's comet appears...... :(:, but we love 'em all the same.

I meant to bring this up......UKSoxFans allegiance to the WHITE SOX is because they resembled the colors of his Beloved Newcastle United football club. great story, he ended up liking the sox now. I told him I would Root for NewCastle in a kind
of Foreign Team Exchange Program.

Hangar18
02-11-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by soxfan_9

SoxFan_9, I met In Kansas City when Our Beloved Whipped
the Royals last summer. Jason has a TATTOO of the sox logo
on his calf, I saw him by the bus, and went Whoah....thats cool.
I spread the Gospel and Told him about this site.........

Frater Perdurabo
02-11-2004, 03:36 PM
I preach the Gospel of Sox down here in Texas, where all they know of Chicago baseball is Sammy Sosa and the Cubs, and Robin Ventura charging Nolan Ryan. This is tough soil to till.

DFW is just a two hour flight from Chicago for those Chicago-based Sox fans who want to populate a Silver and Black cheering section at Sox-Rangers games.

RedFoxSoxFan
02-12-2004, 12:51 PM
It really isn't alot of fun being the only White Sox fan at a college [Marist College, Poughkeepsie NY] dominated by fairweather yankee fans and die hard red sox fans. I love arguing with both fan's though, a sample of the arguements they say:

Redsox Fan's- "Red Sox haven't won a world series since 1918 {then they start whining} feel pity for me and my team"
Yankee Fan's- "I know how it feels not to win, i stood by the team during the '80s"

I was originally born in De Kalb, Ill. I contracted the disease of loving the sox from birth. I actually have fotos of myself wearing a sox jersey when i was merely 3 or 4 days old. My family moved from Illinois to Albany NY. I had to grow up in yankee territory and it wasn't fun. I only met one other diehard whitesox fan in HS, while die hard Yankee Fan's were a dime a dozen.

Now at college it's even worse. Everyone's either a pity redsox fan or a fair weather yankee fan. The last few world series have been fun, though. Theres nothing i love more than seeing the yankees loose. Watching the Yankees loose not one world series but two, since ive been here, with all my yankee-loving friends was classic.

Matt

Daver
02-12-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by RedFoxSoxFan
It really isn't alot of fun being the only White Sox fan at a college [Marist College, Poughkeepsie NY] dominated by fairweather yankee fans and die hard red sox fans. I love arguing with both fan's though, a sample of the arguements they say:

bouldersox
02-16-2004, 11:27 AM
Checkin' in from Boulder, CO. Been out here since '85. Always come back to Chicago each summer for a series or two. Cubs/Sox at the Cell last year was a blast!

Born on the Westside of Chicago, and my whole family except for my mother bleed Sox (she was a Cubbie fan).

I can't get cable in the mountains above Boulder, so I have Directv and subscribe to the MLB pkg. So I get most of the games.

Hope springs eternal. The reality is that the Sox should compete this year in the Central. If they are looking strong after the All-Star break, they might be able to pick up some pitching, and then who knows what happens in the post-season.

It's an old story, but given the sorry state of MLB, the players union and a weak-kneed commissioner, I'd rather be sitting in the AL Central than to be either Toronto or Baltimore and my only chance at a decent season is dependant on a few carefully placed Achilles tendoin tears and rotor cuffs in the upper echelon of the AL East to have any chance at all.

DaveGusinSeattle
02-19-2004, 10:41 AM
I bleed White Sox here in the Seattle area. I cannot quite explain why to perplexed Mariners fans here. They have a good team here, but not the history that a Chi-town or NY/Boston fan could have. There are others around here with new White sox caps as well, more than you'd think.

I have a 10 foot satellite dish mounted on the slope of my garage to pick up the direct feed of FSN Chicago, as well as lots of digital movie channels. I use someone's address in N.W. Indiana to subscribe grey-market or out of area. In 2000, Directv was the only way to go.

In 2000, my new wife became a big fan of the Sox, as well as Carlos Lee, Ordonez and all. We enjoy at least parts of about 5 games a week.

I have been a fan since 1982, but also watched the south-side hitmen of the 70's.

Cheers :gulp:

skottyj242
02-19-2004, 10:47 AM
I got you all beat, born and raised and still live in Mt. Greenwood. It's a long commute of like eight or nine miles. Beat that.

Lip Man 1
02-19-2004, 12:40 PM
Reading the replys of all these good fans makes me sick to my friggin' stomach that the owner of the Sox is a vindictive, arrogant, stubborn SOB.

The fans deserve better then the crap we have.

Lip

Baby Fisk
02-19-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Reading the replys of all these good fans makes me sick to my friggin' stomach that the owner of the Sox is a vindictive, arrogant, stubborn SOB.

The fans deserve better then the crap we have.

Lip
If I could offer you a strong, dark Canadian beer right now, I would Lip Man. :gulp:

BTW, what gets you out of bed every morning? It's certainly not optimism for the Sox!!! :D: