PDA

View Full Version : Rosenthal TSN Sox Comments

Lip Man 1
02-05-2004, 04:56 PM
From the speed reads section, Pg. 36.

"Fans and media in Chicago are growing increasingly frustrated with the White Sox, and they're correct to direct their anger at owner Jerry Reinsdorf. The Sox constantly fret over poor attendance, but they need to stop acting like a middle-market franchise and offer a more appealing product. Maybe then their fans will respond."

"middle-market," hmmmmm... maybe based on payroll but the Sox themselves have publicly called themselves a small mind....er "small market" team.

Lip

Hangar18
02-05-2004, 11:30 PM
we need MORE media backlash like this...............
WAY MORE!!! c'mon media!!! theres a story here!

sas1974
02-05-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18

I couldn't agree more. THIS IS CHICAGO!!! At the very least, we're the "Second City." Let's act like it!

Hangar18
02-05-2004, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
I couldn't agree more. THIS IS CHICAGO!!! At the very least, we're the "Second City." Let's act like it!

by the way, welcome home Sas1974 and HellenicSoxFan.......
your among Brothers...........

sas1974
02-05-2004, 11:50 PM
by the way, welcome home Sas1974 and HellenicSoxFan.......
your among Brothers...........

Hey thanks! I have been chomping at the bit to make some posts, but my account was in disarray. I missed the message to replay to in order to get my account legit. I am glad to finally be aboard though.

SSN721
02-06-2004, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
From the speed reads section, Pg. 36.

"Fans and media in Chicago are growing increasingly frustrated with the White Sox, and they're correct to direct their anger at owner Jerry Reinsdorf. The Sox constantly fret over poor attendance, but they need to stop acting like a middle-market franchise and offer a more appealing product. Maybe then their fans will respond."

"middle-market," hmmmmm... maybe based on payroll but the Sox themselves have publicly called themselves a small mind....er "small market" team.

Lip

This is great, it seems like a much greater amount of attention paid at the ineptness of the Sox management by the media this year. Seems like until the season starts and the Cubs are relatively quite, the big story is what a buffoon JR is and how he is running the team into the ground. As much as I dont think JR cares about what is written about him, perhaps soon he might feel to old to keep getting pounded by the press and sell or change his attitude. I know, very wishful thinking.

hose
02-06-2004, 07:00 AM
Lip

Lip was this you in the Daily South Town yesterday?

Hi, Paul:

I read your column with great interest and wanted to bring up a point that many fans at SoxFest have been saying.

Is the weakest division in baseball winnable? Certainly, even with the current ragtag Sox bunch, but what's the point of getting to the playoffs with the likelihood that it's going to be blowout city in the first round against the Yankees, Red Sox, Mariners, A's, etc.? Haven't Sox fans seen that before?

The object is to construct a team that can win a championship, of having a team that has a fighting chance to get to the World Series. With respect, the only way this club gets to the World Series is if the other teams in the American League all forfeit.

Lip

You mean like the way San Francisco, the Cubs and the New York Yankees did against Florida last season?

DirtySouthsider
02-06-2004, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by sas1974

The only reason Chicago is known as the "second city" is because the "first" chicago burned down in the chicago fire. Then obviously it was rebuilt and became known as the second city.

So my point being, we shouldn't have to take a back seat to anybody. I just wish JR would start thinking that way!!

sas1974
02-06-2004, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by DirtySouthsider
The only reason Chicago is known as the "second city" is because the "first" chicago burned down in the chicago fire. Then obviously it was rebuilt and became known as the second city.

So my point being, we shouldn't have to take a back seat to anybody. I just wish JR would start thinking that way!!

I was just being sarcastic...I agree.

Lip Man 1
02-06-2004, 10:42 AM
Hose:

Yes...although I found it interesting that Paul's e-mail back to me had a little different tone then the answer he printed in the paper.

Lip

JC456
02-06-2004, 01:00 PM

You're exactly right. The media doesn't ask tuff questions of the management staff. Tuff questions like, "Jerry, attendance continues to be an issue with the Sox. What are you and your management team going to do to boost attendance?" if he avoids the question, then the follow up would be, "it's obvious to the fans and media that you refuse to spend money, if you don't want to put a higher quality product on the team, then why don't you sell and let another owner solve the problem?"

If he continues to avoid the answer, then ask him if he is concerned about the lack of fan base for the Sox in Chicago since he can't fill the park. I'd continue to look at ways to get him to answer the attendance problem question.

It sure looks to me that he never gets that question from the media, yet every year on all radio shows and TV that is the major topic. Then ask him the question!!!

So, How does Jerry Reinsdorf resolve the attendance issue?

A.T. Money
02-06-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by JC456

So, How does Jerry Reinsdorf resolve the attendance issue?

Lower ticket prices. Then to make up revenue, raise the food prices. I know that sucks for us faithfuls but the more you save on tickets, the more you can eat/drink.

Let's face it....get people in the park FIRST. Then make your money on the concession stands. Are people going to not eat or drink once they get there? I doubt it.

Maximo
02-06-2004, 01:52 PM
I'm trying to be optimistic for a change. I sincerely believe that of all the blunders this ownership has amassed over the years, underestimating the true passion of White Sox fans is their biggest mistake and will ultimately lead to their final downfall.

"The Heat is on!!"

TornLabrum
02-06-2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by DirtySouthsider

The term Second City referring to Chicago came from an article in the New Yorker in the late '50s that compared NYC to Chicago and found Chicago second in everything. The term became popularized when Bernie Sahlens started his comedy group in 1959. The name was inspired by the New Yorker article.