PDA

View Full Version : Comiskey Food Through The Years

hold2dibber
02-05-2004, 07:57 AM
A friend of a friend lives in Mexico City and is writing an article for a newspaper there about ball park food through the years. I gave him the skinny on the current state of grub at U.S. Reinsorf Park at Gov. Thompson Field, but couldn't help him out too much in terms of pre-90's fare (since I was so broke then that I snuck in my own hot dogs most of the time). Can anyone shed a little light on the state of ball park food (in terms of variety, local favorites, etc.) at the old Comiskey? I remember a place that I think was under 1st base that sold steak sandwiches and tacos (?) and that there was pretty good soft serve ice cream or Italian ice under the left field stands. Anybody else?

SEALgep
02-05-2004, 08:24 AM
I think they stopped selling them, unless someone can vouch for them still being around, the brats with the cheese melted inside. I only had one, but its good. Really hot on in the inside. My guess is people burnde themselves and they stopped selling them, but I'm not sure.

poorme
02-05-2004, 08:35 AM
There used to be the mexican stand with the cheap burritos and Tecate beer. loved that place. JR promised all the food vendors would be invited into the new park, but of course that was another lie.

bestkosher
02-05-2004, 09:01 AM
i personally miss bertucci's ribs that was in left in the new comiskey,

ewokpelts
02-05-2004, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by poorme
There used to be the mexican stand with the cheap burritos and Tecate beer. loved that place. JR promised all the food vendors would be invited into the new park, but of course that was another lie.

there were independant vendors at the old park?
Gene

poorme
02-05-2004, 09:50 AM
they had t-shirts with their own business name on it. i think they ran another restaurant somewhere. not sure how that arraingement started. but when JR promised McCuddy's bar would be re-built, he said all the existing vendors would be invited back. maybe they were bought out or something.

ode to veeck
02-05-2004, 10:05 AM
maybe they were bought out or something.

sold out might be a better description

tebman
02-05-2004, 10:06 AM
Feeb's Hot Dogs from Downers Grove used to have a stand under the 3rd-base side at Old Comiskey. The old Picnic Area sold fried chicken, ribs and steak, if I remember right.

The cheap burrito and Tecate stand was the best, though!

:bandance:

voodoochile
02-05-2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by tebman
Feeb's Hot Dogs from Downers Grove used to have a stand under the 3rd-base side at Old Comiskey. The old Picnic Area sold fried chicken, ribs and steak, if I remember right.

The cheap burrito and Tecate stand was the best, though!

:bandance:

Hey, Welcome Aboard! :D:

tebman
02-05-2004, 10:24 AM
Hey, Welcome Aboard!

Thanks, voodoochile. I've been reading and lurking for a long
time. Finally got around to posting.

Just another scarred Sox fan in the wilderness. :lurkers

robertks61
02-05-2004, 10:54 AM
Italian Sausage & Brats down the 3rd base line in the left field corner were excellent!

HITMEN OF 77
02-05-2004, 11:40 AM
I always thought Comiskey had the best hotdogs.

Sad
02-05-2004, 12:06 PM
mmmmmmmm brats with the cheese inside <drool>

for those of you who havent tried them already-
the Johnsonville (only brat worth buying in my book) Cheddar (not Cheesy) are killer!

I'm not as picky with brands of other sausage (non-brats)

<end plug>

KingXerxes
02-05-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I remember a place that I think was under 1st base that sold steak sandwiches and tacos (?) and that there was pretty good soft serve ice cream or Italian ice under the left field stands. Anybody else?

That steak sandwich stand was the absolute best! They would serve grilled ribeyes (which the dude grilled from scratch right in frony of you) with fried onions on a soft roll - and a pickle on the side. Easily the Cadillac of food offerings at Comiskey. I forget the guy who used to work the stand - years back we were on a first name basis. Unfortunately this legendary item now exists only in memory. The stand was buried in the back of the main concourse, but I remember it being a little shaded down the third base line. Just writing this is making me hungry.

SEALgep
02-05-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Sad
mmmmmmmm brats with the cheese inside <drool>

for those of you who havent tried them already-
the Johnsonville (only brat worth buying in my book) Cheddar (not Cheesy) are killer!

I'm not as picky with brands of other sausage (non-brats)

<end plug>
Do they still have those at the park? I don't think so, but I'd love to be wrong.

Sad
02-05-2004, 12:30 PM
nah
the ones at the park are another brand I think

npdempse
02-05-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Sad
nah
the ones at the park are another brand I think

I think the brats/italians stands are Hickory Farms. Not bad, not great.

soxrme
02-05-2004, 01:08 PM
The old picnic area had great chicken, ribs and hamburgers! :gulp:

BlackSox
02-05-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by poorme

That was one of my favorite stops at the old park.

jabrch
02-05-2004, 03:47 PM
I wonder how long of a thread we can create talking about food? Tomatoes anyone?

DSpivack
02-06-2004, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by BlackSox
That was one of my favorite stops at the old park.

Hey, I was actually in Tecate in early January [winter break].

Nice little border town. Quiet, but cute.