PDA

View Full Version : Another call for Sox stories

Dan H
02-05-2004, 06:47 AM
Anyone who has some great Sox memories they want to share with me, feel free to contact me. I am writing about great moments such as title clinching games, the South Side Hitmen, beating the Cubs, etc. for a book. I am on a tight deadline so if anyone wants to contact me, they need to do it soon. I can't promise to use everything given to me, but I will try. In addition, if anyone has taken any photos of games, players, the parks, etc, let me know.

Fans are great historians, and some WSI fans have already given me some great information. Thanks in advance for any help.

Dan Helpingstine
wallynn@aol.com

Brian26
02-05-2004, 10:45 AM
I'm curious if any of the profits from the book are going to be distributed back to WSI posters who are essentially helping you write it.

ode to veeck
02-05-2004, 11:27 AM
I remember a game that characterized Greg Luzinki's return to his native Chicago (after great & emotionally plaing years with the Phillies), and the love the Sox fans had for him. I can't remember the year or even the opponent, but it was late in his career at age 30 something.

He hit a HR in his 1st AB and fans erupted (of course)
He hit a grand slam in his 2nd AB and fans went nuts.
In his 3rd AB, he ripped a single. Really on a high after his great game at the plate so far, he preposterously broke for and stole second, catching the unsuspecting battery so offguard it wasn't even close. It was probably one of the longest time elapsed on a steals ever, and really a thing of beauty (like an elephant outrunning a cheetah) to behold. The Sox fans went about as nuts as any play I think I ever witnessed at Comiskey.

Checking baseball-reference.com, it shows Greg actually was pulling this off a few times late in his career, achieving 1, 2, & 5 SB in his last 3 years ('82-'84). I don't recollect any of the other steals, but some of them were probably just as amazing.

Dan H
02-05-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
I'm curious if any of the profits from the book are going to be distributed back to WSI posters who are essentially helping you write it.

No WSI posters are helping me write this book. If a person wants to talk to me for a short time - like 15 minutes of so - they can do that. If not that is fine by me also. All of the research and writing of the book is done by me alone. I have interviewed ex-Sox players and they have not asked for compensation. I don't even like the implication of this post. I am an experienced journalist who doesn't need help from anyone to write a book. I would think you would appreciate that a fan's viewpoint is being sought. The media and major league baseball certainly don't care what you think.

Brian26
02-05-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Dan H
The media and major league baseball certainly don't care what you think.

Sure they do.

Let's talk about MLB-
If I'm not happy, they don't get my money. And if they don't get my money, they'll suffer business-wise.

The media doesn't care?

Well, since you're writing a book as an experienced journalist, I'd consider you a member of the media. You just asked us for our stories and memories, so you seem to care.

Lip Man 1
02-05-2004, 01:19 PM
Would I like some money is return for the time I spent helping Dan...sure.

However since this book is about the White Sox and probably isn't going to be #1 on the New York Times best seller list, I seriously doubt Dan is going to be taking off to Aruba for a month on his 'profits.'

I'm happy just to have helped. If I can get a copy of the publication gratis, that's more then enough for me. It's nice just to be mentioned in a book as far as I'm concerned.

Lip

Foulke You
02-05-2004, 01:43 PM
I've contacted Dan myself with a story. Whether he uses it or not is up to him. I don't expect to get paid or compensated in any way, I just did it because I love the White Sox and enjoyed Dan's previous book. Dan tends to write from a fan's perspective so I see nothing wrong with him researching the opinions of White Sox fans when writing a book on greatest moments in Sox history. After all, there would be no great moments without fans there to remember them.

npdempse
02-05-2004, 01:54 PM
Asking for money to shoot your mouth off about your memories is ridiculous.

Beyond the bit of notoriety you could gain by being quoted in Dan's book, you should be happy as a fan to be involved in the maintenance of the franchise's history, and take every opportunity you are given to spread the Sox gospel.

Since when did fandom become a profit-making venture? The only dividends a Sox fan should normally expect are ulcers.

Baby Fisk
02-05-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by npdempse
Since when did fandom become a profit-making venture? The only dividends a Sox fan should normally expect are ulcers.

:reinsy
"You tell 'em! Just leave the dividends to me, thanks very much folks. If there were money to be made as a fan, believe me I'd be a bigger fan."

Brian26
02-05-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I'm happy just to have helped. If I can get a copy of the publication gratis, that's more then enough for me. It's nice just to be mentioned in a book as far as I'm concerned.
Lip

If Dan is mentioning people's names in the book with credits, then that's a nice gesture. I didn't know he was doing that, so I apologize for my earlier question.

thepaulbowski
02-05-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by npdempse
Since when did fandom become a profit-making venture?

I've been hoping that Miller would come through and sponser me for being so loyal to their product. So far no luck, but I'll keep trying. :gulp: :gulp:

soxphotos
02-05-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Brian26

This is classic....first Harry Caray and Jimmy Piersall (the best broadcast team in the history of Chicago baseball) are not classy, now you expect payment for expressing a fan memory. Are you related to one of the 'geniuses' (I will not use the word which fits them) who run the Sox?

Brian26
02-05-2004, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by soxphotos
This is classic....first Harry Caray and Jimmy Piersall (the best broadcast team in the history of Chicago baseball) are not classy, now you expect payment for expressing a fan memory. Are you related to one of the 'geniuses' (I will not use the word which fits them) who run the Sox?

Well, after searching through the other 4 posts you've made om WSI, I was reminded of this post you made, and I responded to, on Janurary 9:

Soxnuts says:
I'm working on getting a tape where he and Harry spend 10 minutes ripping on the ump from a game in 1980. This was the game where the ump turned around and flipped them off up in the booth. God knows how he knew what they were broadcasting. Maybe between innings leather-lunged Harry and Jimmy (and a few of the upper-deck fans) enjoyed a little verbal abuse of the home plate ump. I remember listening on the radio and IT WAS CLASSIC.

My response was that this stunt was bush league. I never said Harry and Jimmy weren't a good broadcast duo. I would argue that they are nowhere near the greatest of all time, and anyone who would suggest that loses a lot of credibility. Verbally abusing an umpire from the booth during a game is bush league bs.

If Dan is attributing quotes and memories directly to the people who give them, then I don't have a problem with his book. And if he's going to send out copies of the book to people who helped him by contributing, then he's really doing a nice gesture.

misty60481
02-05-2004, 07:47 PM
I remember listening to Sox game they beat Kansas City 29-6 I think that ties the record for most runs in a game. I looked up the score and it was played on April 23, 1955--winning pitcher--Jack Harshman---loser Bobby Shantz. I couldnt find a box score--

Hangar18
02-06-2004, 12:06 AM
I LOVE the idea of being Mentioned in a book about the SOX.
I spoke to Dan and gave him my stories of how I got to the 83 clinching game as a kid, and being at the 77 game, where Nancy first played Na Na Na Na, Hey Hey Hey Goodbye.
Hope he uses them....