PDA

View Full Version : 2006

voodoochile
02-04-2004, 11:51 PM
This was mentioned in another thread and I wanted to give it a separate thread of its own.

The MLB CBA expires after the 2006 season. As the Sox roster is currently configured, there isn't a single player signed beyond that point. Yes, there are players who are locked in because of years of service restrictions (Crede, Rowand (I think), Harris, Olivo) but all of the long term contracts the Sox are currently holding will expire at or before the end of that season.

Lee and Buehrle: Contracts run through 2006
Frank and Konerko: Guaranteed money through 2005. Frank gets 3.5M if he isn't back in 2006 or the team can keep him for 10M.
Maggs and Loaiza: Both FA after this season.

How many other teams in the league set up this way? Are the Sox an anomoly?

For me it is further proof that the Sox don't really give a crap about winning. I am getting ready for the mother of all Kids can play X (or whatever it is coming up to) and Reinsdorf lowering the payroll while the new guys develop.

nodiggity59
02-05-2004, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
This was mentioned in another thread and I wanted to give it a separate thread of its own.

The MLB CBA expires after the 2006 season. As the Sox roster is currently configured, there isn't a single player signed beyond that point. Yes, there are players who are locked in because of years of service restrictions (Crede, Rowand (I think), Harris, Olivo) but all of the long term contracts the Sox are currently holding will expire at or before the end of that season.

Frank and Konerko: Guaranteed money through 2005. Frank gets 3.5M if he isn't back in 2006 or the team can keep him for 10M.

For me it is further proof that the Sox don't really give a crap about winning. I am getting ready for the mother of all Kids can play X (or whatever it is coming up to) and Reinsdorf lowering the payroll while the new guys develop. ]

Im sorry, what is the MLB CBA?

StillMissOzzie
02-05-2004, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by nodiggity59
]

The Major League Baseball Collective Bargaining Agreement. It's that which defines rules for arbitration, free agency, what little revenue sharing/luxury tax is in effect, etc.

SMO
:gulp:

doublem23
02-05-2004, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by nodiggity59
]

Originally posted by StillMissOzzie

The Major League Baseball Collective Bargaining Agreement. It's that which defines rules for arbitration, free agency, what little revenue sharing/luxury tax is in effect, etc.

SMO
:gulp:

It's basically what the owners and players fight over every work stoppage.

RichFitztightly
02-05-2004, 11:22 AM
Well, this is mainly the reason why the Blackhawks are so abysmal. Dollar Bill Wurtz wants as few people signed as possible under the old CBA. That's why he doesn't get any free agents. And why the team wouldn't be able to beat anyone from the minor leagues, save perhaps their own minor league team. It's very dis-heartening to hear this ownership is on the same path. I hope they don't follow suit. I don't know if the Hawks will ever recover from this disaster, and I don't know if the Sox would be able to recover any lost fan-base if this were to happen.

ode to veeck
02-05-2004, 11:36 AM
if the sox don't thrash the flubbies in the WS by the end of 2006, the 100th anniversary of their great upset of the Tinkers to Evers to Chance Flubs, I'm through with 'em!! 40+ years of my devotion with no return is enough!!

SEALgep
02-05-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile

For me it is further proof that the Sox don't really give a crap about winning. I am getting ready for the mother of all Kids can play X (or whatever it is coming up to) and Reinsdorf lowering the payroll while the new guys develop.

You can look at it that way, or you can look it at as keeping options open. By that I mea if you lock up the wrong people you essentillay screw yourself over like Baltimore had done to itself for years. These coming years may be the time to lock up players to longer type deals. The market is down, and I figure to remain down for at least a couple more years. Now is the time for five and six year deals (to healthy people it makes sense for), not before when the prices were as high as they were.

joecrede
02-05-2004, 01:19 PM
A pretty good website for team payrolls. (http://dugoutdollars.blogspot.com/2003_06_08_dugoutdollars_archive.html) Interestingly according to this site the Sox '04 payroll is actually higher than the Orioles.